Protoman Blues · 4979

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
on: July 11, 2009, 03:38:43 AM
Penn & Teller's Bullshit: Violent Video Games

I've been looking forward to this episode of the show ever since I saw it announced that they were going to do it.  Needless to say, it does not disappoint in any way.  While this link is available, I thought you all might enjoy this episode of the show.  

Oh yeah, there's massive amounts of profanity, so be warned!  XD

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:48:57 AM
Thanks PB, this was a good episode.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:40:43 AM
This looks interesting....
of course there's profanity, it's bullshit

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 05:19:42 AM
I enjoyed it. I love how it also exemplified the hypocrisy of that one guy trying to discourage violent gaming, and there he goes with real life ammunition.

As someone who's fired live weaponry at targets and has dabbled into so-called violent games, there's a big cognitive difference when you have your barrel trained to something on the screen, in which killing a person will bring no actual negative repercussion or feeling of guilt to you, and training a live gun on a person.

While the digital person will come back with a restart of the game or will simply respawn, your mind kicks into a different gear when you're actually aiming at a real person. You know that with one pull of the trigger, you can end that person's life and drastically affect several others by that one action. You'll hear the person let out the moan or yell, you'll see the blood splatter, you'll smell the copper-y alkaline smell blood gives, and you'll see them die right before your eyes. It's a MUCH more traumatic experience. Anyone who can do this is MUCH more messed up in the head than just "learning it from a game."

I can really say, the last clip of the show spoke MUCH more about this than any baseless conjecture from Jack Thompson or some politician up on the Capitol. People aren't as two dimensional mentally as they may think. Firing an actual gun--the recoil, the smell of gun power, the loud CRACK that rings out upon firing, the feel of the weapon's cold steel in your hand--is much different from leaning back on the sofa/bed, a bag of your preferred snack food next to you, shooting at some soldier on the television that will just respawn later by the use of a controller which, at most, tickles your hand to offer "force feedback."

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 05:23:51 AM
I played a ton of Mortal Kombat as a kid, and I never hurt anyone, because they were too frozen to feel pain when I uppercut them.  Also, I broke my bathroom mirror a couple times when I got into a mirror match.

Offline Ace DeSpade

• More awesome than you.
  • Robot Master
  • ^Is awesome.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:44:32 AM
This is the most serious-themed Penn & Teller episode I've ever seen, and my admiration for them has become greater than ever. It wasn't just funny, it was serious and truthful. The last bit of the show was truly amazing, when the kid started crying. Seriously, people like Jack Thompson need to see this so that they can finally shut up. Videogames are just games, not brainwashing machines that will make children violent mass-murderers.

[insert decent signature here]

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:11:20 AM
I played a ton of Mortal Kombat as a kid, and I never hurt anyone, because they were too frozen to feel pain when I uppercut them.

See, this is the kind of thoughtful gamer we need in today's world.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 06:11:59 AM
The only thing Jack Thompson would do upon seeing this is complain to anyone who'll listen about how Penn and Teller defamed his character.

But I agree, this was a -good- episode.  I haven't seen Bullshit in a while; I'd forgotten how much I love it.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:54:12 AM
Why wouldn't he have seen it if he was interviewed for it?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 06:56:30 AM
I played a ton of Mortal Kombat as a kid, and I never hurt anyone, because they were too frozen to feel pain when I uppercut them.

We're lucky you didn't play Smoke.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 07:35:03 AM
There was only one way I could describe this if I ever needed to describe this particular episode to someone who was against violent video games: You got OWNED.

And despite the show's title, this isn't bullshit.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 07:45:09 AM
Man that was pretty deep and I really hate that guy who was passing out the fliers at that convention especially when we find out he was just a hypocrit.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 08:37:19 AM
That was one great watch, Penn and Teller style.
The issues, the arguments, and that final scene, should be able to really drive in the message.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 08:39:12 AM
Why wouldn't he have seen it if he was interviewed for it?

I'm not saying he hasn't seen it by now... just that he wouldn't have seen it until a while after they interviewed him.

Plus, well... Penn & Teller aren't always 100% up front about what angle they're going to be pushing when they interview people.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:38 AM
Not like they really needed to tell where they were going to spin Jack Thompson. The man's already proven himself to be a damn nut job. It's clear he's too busy trying to push an agenda, though he's been consistently struck down to the point he can no longer practice law in Florida.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 02:56:20 PM
I'd say that's a very nice representation of the situation at hand. Thanks for linking the video PB.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 06:06:52 PM
it's been a long time since i've seen Bullshit. so this episode was all the better.

I love how it also exemplified the hypocrisy of that one guy trying to discourage violent gaming, and there he goes with real life ammunition.

that absolutely blew me away. i was more shocked than Penn. what's next, a rapist who condemns [twin slasher] games?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 06:18:24 PM
If anything that video showed me that Jack Thompson is a normal person like you and me. And now I feel sorry for him.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 06:33:59 PM
a normal person that thinks we're all psychopaths that'll shoot up the neighboorhood if we ever get our hands on a gun. [/slight paraphrasing]

yeah, i feel REAL sorry for him.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 08:07:34 PM
If anything that video showed me that Jack Thompson is a normal person like you and me. And now I feel sorry for him.

He is a normal person.  To be honest, I don't even think he believes all the crap he spews out, but that it's more of a "LOOK AT ME" type of situation.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 10:25:28 PM
Pity I don't have the patience nor the connection speed to wait for this to load.

Any way of downloading this, PB?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 11:03:18 PM
Will YouTube do, DZ?

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 03:21:16 AM
Although I didn't finish the show, I like what I see and Jack Thompson may be a little misguided on video game violence.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 05:35:58 AM
Glad I Could Help  8)