What Anime are you Currently Watching?

Satoryu · 461570

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2500 on: June 12, 2016, 08:37:26 AM
Well, then that works with Gohan meant to carry his father's legacy.

Only now, he's a boring ass student, and is barely part of the Z Fighters anymore, thanks to Chi-Chi.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2501 on: June 12, 2016, 08:47:02 AM
That's another thing that the fans are wrong about, Chi Chi's not to blame for Gohan doing that, Gohan unfortunately doesn't like fighting as much as his father.  I mean look at how traumatized he gets throughout Dragonball Z, I can't blame him for just wanting to be a normal guy, he's been forced to fight since he was 4! Yeah the guy has potential to surpass his Dad, but that doesn't mean he actually does when he only has a mild interest in Martial Arts.

My interpretation is that if Gohan was to be the main character he would be forced to fight because he's forced to, not because he wants to.  Gohan himself would ultimately want to be Normal, but if his Dad were not around to pick up the entire DBZ universe's slack, Gohan would not be able to afford having a normal life and going home to be a family man.

So no it's not Chi Chi's fault, Gohan is just not a hard core fighter like his Dad is.  He has an interest in Martial Arts, but he's not a fanatic and obsessed with it like his Dad and the others.

Besides can we really blame Chi Chi for you know, actually being a Mom? I mean she's abrasive don't get me wrong, but do you know any mom who would be okay to send their only child at the time to an unknown planet where he could be killed of disapper forever?  Would any good mom actually say they can do that without resistance at Gohan's age?  And don't get me started on how Goku and Vegeta get father of the year awards.  Oh wait, no they don't because both of them are terrible Dads.  I mean Goku is one of the nicest people you can talk to, and he obviously loves his family but he's honestly not a good Dad.  And you know who doesn't become a terrible Dad?  Gohan, Gohan is not a terrible Dad because he's not another Goku.

Besides if Gohan didn't become a Scholar he wouldn't write his book in the future that revived an interest in True Martial Arts and Ki Control again which also made Tien, Krillen, and Trunks and Goten open up Martial Arts Schools to teach many new generations various forms of Martial Arts and Ki Control.  I mean you have to admit that's [tornado fang]ing badass, he started a freaking movement, even Goku couldn't do that!

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Groundbreaking_Science

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2502 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:12 AM
Yeah. Think about it like the direction Vinland Saga went. Thorfinn becomes a heartless killer at a young age seeking revenge for his father's death. However, after some time, he mellows out and becomes very anti-violence, and now only fights when expressly necessary. It's a pretty standard trope, but it's criminally underused and I think DBZ handled it gracefully.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2503 on: June 12, 2016, 09:43:48 AM
Of course, I know it's ultimately Gohan's decision to either focus on his studies or train to become a powerful warrior. But I still blame Chi-Chi for being absolutely relentless in keeping Gohan locked up in his room.

Even in the moments where Gohan DID want to help them out, she would insist on him being just a normal kid. Yes, I know that's a very motherly thing to do, but that doesn't magically make it not annoying. Parents are annoying, after all.

What made me cry on the inside, though, was in Resurrection F, Gohan said something along the lines of "I hope I still remember how to turn Super Saiyan."

Like, really?

It's gotten that bad. It's gotten to the point where he's unsure if he can transform.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2504 on: June 12, 2016, 09:46:02 AM
Yeah. Think about it like the direction Vinland Saga went. Thorfinn becomes a heartless killer at a young age seeking revenge for his father's death. However, after some time, he mellows out and becomes very anti-violence, and now only fights when expressly necessary. It's a pretty standard trope, but it's criminally underused and I think DBZ handled it gracefully.
Never heard of this series, I kind of want to check it out.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2505 on: June 12, 2016, 10:01:59 AM
It's also worth noting that Toriyama is bad at writing women, and doesn't even know how to draw two people kissing.

That would explain why Chi-Chi is the basic naggy wife stereotype. Although Bulma is pretty cool, I guess.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2506 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:29 AM
Bulma also acts like a brat even in adulthood though, and it shows up at times even after marriage. I mean while I don't think Chi Chi is the reason why Gohan isn't as powerful as he should be I really don't like her either, she's way too extreme and I worry for her blood pressure. But yeah Toriyama doesn't write Women well, except 18.  18 is awesome and I wish she did more, we could use her snark.  And 17, badass Park Ranger 17.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #2507 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:55 AM
She's a normal that beds the Prince of all Saiyans.
Definitely something. 8D

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2508 on: June 12, 2016, 10:08:38 AM
Definitely something. 8D
True, that was one hell of a night. 8D

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2509 on: June 12, 2016, 10:14:34 AM
Definitely something. 8D

Frieza had a sick burn in Resurrection F: "All hail Vegeta, Prince of No One"

It was at that moment where I wished it was the Abridged version, because you know Vegeta would've had an even better comeback. 8D

Bulma also acts like a brat even in adulthood though, and it shows up at times even after marriage. I mean while I don't think Chi Chi is the reason why Gohan isn't as powerful as he should be I really don't like her either, she's way too extreme and I worry for her blood pressure. But yeah Toriyama doesn't write Women well, except 18.  18 is awesome and I wish she did more, we could use her snark.  And 17, badass Park Ranger 17.

Launch was a good character, too. I'll give him that.

Too bad he completely forgot about her...

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #2510 on: June 12, 2016, 10:17:28 AM
Frieza had a sick burn in Resurrection F: "All hail Vegeta, Prince of No One"

It was at that moment where I wished it was the Abridged version, because you know Vegeta would've had an even better comeback. 8D
That, or fail epically trying. 8D

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2511 on: June 12, 2016, 10:18:52 AM
Bulma also acts like a brat even in adulthood though, and it shows up at times even after marriage.

So... basically some of my aunts. Acting like a brat doesn't end with adolescence or marriage.

Bulma stopped being hot after Namek (Future Bulma stayed hot though). Chi Chi stopped being hot after the 7 year timeskip between Cell and Buu (Arguably she stopped being hot after the end of Dragonball, but I insist she was still attractive until she lost the bangs). Videl was cute up through Battle of Gods (Seriously, she might not fight anymore but I really really liked her outfit in BoG), and 18 only lost attractiveness after she cut her hair into the same ugly haircut Bulma has at the end of the series.

Of course come GT everybody's old.

What made me cry on the inside, though, was in Resurrection F, Gohan said something along the lines of "I hope I still remember how to turn Super Saiyan."

Like, really?

It's gotten that bad. It's gotten to the point where he's unsure if he can transform.

Well, he went Super Saiyan for like 5 seconds in BoG, not for fighting but just for charging up Goku's God form.

Other than that wasn't his 'Ultimate' upgrade he got from Old Kai supposed to have basically overwritten his Super Saiyan transformation? Not that he actually ever got to use that ability since he never got the chance to actually do much fighting.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2512 on: June 12, 2016, 10:24:47 AM
.....What does a woman's attractiveness and your personal tastes have to do with their characterizations? o-O

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2513 on: June 12, 2016, 10:37:03 AM
I have no idea. I think i just kinda went off on a tangent.

Point I was trying to make before I got distracted, attitudes don't always change with age, Bulma mostly stayed the same, so when she got older/married her having mostly the same personality as she dod when she was 15/16 sort of comes off as childish.

Chi Chi on the other hand changed a lot, giving up martial arts (though still able to kick ass) to focus on being a doting parent even if her methods weren't always the best. And like Gohan compared to Goku, Videl mellows out with age too, giving up fighting really early on and becoming a very relaxed wife and mother.

18 mostly stayed the same. Not fighting as much but she barely fought anyway.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2514 on: June 12, 2016, 10:42:52 AM
Yeah though admittedly I don't think Chi Chi changed all that much despite giving up Martial Arts, and even then as a kid she was more interested in having a family more than anything.  Though she did become more irritable, but I think being married to someone like Goku would do that to you I guess. Otherwise she just devoted her energy to being a mother but she really didn't change that much, irritability aside.

Speaking of which does anyone remember why she and Goku live in the middle of nowhere?

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #2515 on: June 13, 2016, 06:17:59 AM

Like, really?

I was more concerned that he couldn't use the unlocked potential from the Elder Kaioshin either, and he has to power up with SSJ

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2516 on: June 13, 2016, 06:47:29 AM
Yeah though admittedly I don't think Chi Chi changed all that much despite giving up Martial Arts, and even then as a kid she was more interested in having a family more than anything.  Though she did become more irritable, but I think being married to someone like Goku would do that to you I guess. Otherwise she just devoted her energy to being a mother but she really didn't change that much, irritability aside.

Speaking of which does anyone remember why she and Goku live in the middle of nowhere?

I'm pretty sure its right next to where he lived as a child. At least that's what it looks like in the old GBA game.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2517 on: June 13, 2016, 02:55:59 PM
Wasn't there a shrine dedicated to Grandpa Gohan near his house in Z? The same one Goku Jr ended up finding in Hero's legacy when he went searching for the Dragon Ball?

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #2518 on: July 11, 2016, 07:34:49 AM
Going to watch some Re: Zero. The two twin maids interest me enough to watch it.

Fear me.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2519 on: July 17, 2016, 11:43:35 AM
Why are people complaining about Gohan when clearly it should be Goku and Vegeta they should be complaining about. Gohan stays true to his character and development and for some reason the series treats it as a bad thing. Goku has turned into Peter from Family Guy and any growth Vegeta had during the Buu saga is gone, never to be seen.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2520 on: July 18, 2016, 06:37:24 AM
^ Vegeta getting no more growth? His interaction with Cabba in SUPER is a thing that happened.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2521 on: July 18, 2016, 10:02:32 AM
Which felt very cheap. Because he still has this "rivalry" with Goku and pretty much always treated every other Saiyan like trash, but then suddenly he treats Cabba differently??? That's not growth, that's inconsistent writing. I don't expect great writing from DB of all things, but I wanna be able to enjoy it without getting angry at every line Goku and Vegeta spout.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2522 on: July 30, 2016, 07:12:36 AM
D.Gray-Man Hollow
i mean, i wanted this but aaaah maaaah gaaaaaaaahd it's so compressed

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #2523 on: July 30, 2016, 09:22:43 AM
It's that bad? Then again, it is only 13 EPs long...
And I thought the change in all the seiyuus was a concern...

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2524 on: July 30, 2016, 10:29:09 AM
It's like... it's all plot with no emotion, trying to fit into 13 episodes?
Btw Lenalee is moe now