RPM's Star Wars Thread - Episode I

Acid · 14908

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
on: June 10, 2009, 10:51:32 PM
I noticed we didn't have a Star Wars thread. Damn shame. So I made one, here in the entertainment board. This thread is for discussing all the Star Wars thing. All of them. Books, movies, games, if you want even fancreations.

You want to talk about it: Do it here.

As for the original movies, my favorite is Episode VI. Followed by Episode V.
The only Star Wars games I ever had were the three Super Star Wars games for the SNES. But damn they were fun.

Also, is it just me, or are there really lots of heavily inured Sith out there? It's almost as if you have to be crippled or malformed to become a Sith. Is it the people's wish to be as badass as Vader? The original lung-cancer-victim?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:30:20 PM
Episode V has always been, and probably always will be, my favourite Star Wars movie. I know that movie like the back of my hand.

There's been some pretty good SW games over the years. The SNES ones were rather fun, as well as the Jedi Knight games. I've yet to get around to playing KOTOR, as I'm sure a few people will [sonic slicer] at me for. It really sounds like I'd enjoy it, though.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:31:38 PM
I still need to play KoToR. I always wanted.

The Xbox360 is backwards compatible with the original Xbox, right? Or should I get the PC versions?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:34:02 PM
only the older models.

i've never been big on Star Wars. i'm a very casual fan. The Empire Strikes Back is probably my favorite as well. as for games, the only ones i played were the first 2 Rogue Squadrons, Shadows of the Empire, and the Pod Racer.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:41:22 PM
Well, I did kinda enjoy "The Star Wars TiE Fighter flight simulaitor" when I was like around.. 5?

I loved flying the Interceptor, was my most piloted one. It's the actual SW game that let you "do a barrel roll" with a TiE fighter.

I DEFINATELY enjoyed the Arcade SW, and the one for the SEGA 32X. Ah the memories.

I always enjoyed IV, close quarters with it's animated knockoffs Ewoks (Ep VI) and Droids (Ep.. IV? Can't remember it's origional airtime). I'm pretty sure I had the LEGO Star Wars sets (Clone Wars sets, lawl) too.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:28:57 AM
The only Star Wars games I ever had were the three Super Star Wars games for the SNES. But damn they were fun.

Some of the best games on the SNES.  Without a doubt!

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:39:25 AM
I've always loved Star Wars. Oh god, have I. I grew up on.

My favorite, I think, is Episode VI. The Second Death Star battle was absolutely awesome. It was this HUGE massive dog fight and it was just awesome to watch. A- and B-Wings, X and Y-Wings, TIE Fighters, TIE Interceptors, the Super Star Destroyer going nose first into the Death Star.

When it comes to the prequel series, I'm not sure. Episode 3, for all its faults, was still pretty damn awesome. For awhile I fond of Episode 2 but I really grew to love Episode 1. Qui Gon was the mother [tornado fang]ing man.

I also loved the Battlefront games. Those were absolutely awesome. Adding space battles for Battlefront 2, [tornado fang] yeah. I also highly enjoy any game that lets you do straight dogfights, no bullshit missions. Just give me an A-Wing and let me go.

Anything else I can think of.. Not at the moment. I really wanna get Republic Commando for the Original XBOX. It looked really fun.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:52:56 AM
I remember enjoying playing the demo(when I was a kid that is) of some game where you control a Naboo fighter ship. I actually never really did anything in that demo, and missions were actually always won by my teammates... or maybe it's just that my memory is messed up and I'm wrong. Still, I had fun.

My favorite Star Wars movie is V. I loved the MOTHERFUCKIN' IMPERIAL MARCH that played when Vader or/and Empire appeared. I replayed certain scenes from VHS tapes, just so I can listen to the music. <3

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 05:53:50 AM
I loved the MOTHERFUCKIN' IMPERIAL MARCH that played when Vader or/and Empire appeared.
EVERYONE did.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:58:10 AM
Lifelong Star Wars fan and Wookieepedia contributor.  

My favourite is Episode IV.  The Original Trilogy is just superior to the Prequals in terms of effects, in my opinion, as they weren't so CG-heavy.  The acting was also better.  The Prequals by themselves were good, I went to the premieres and own them on DVD and VHS.  But Jake Lloyd's complete and utter lack of acting is almost painful, and the usage of CG Yoda.  I mean, I can see using CG for Yoda's fight scenes and possibly some walking scenes, but all the time?  The puppet looked better as the puppet was real.  Intangible CG is not.  The puppet blended in better as well, too.  

Lessee, games, games...  I played Star Wars Arcade for the 32X, Rebel Assault, X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Battlefront, Battlefront 2, Republic Commando, and even The Gungan Frontier.  When in Baltimore, I had a chance to play the old vector graphic Star Wars arcade game.  I prefer the flight-sim shoot-'em-up style to the FPS.  It just has that SW feel more with the insane dogfights than with sniping clone troopers from my post on Kamino.  Though, that's still alotta fun.  I dunno how many times the CIS had taken over the galaxy.

Ah, the books...  The universally-agreed-upon starting point of the EU...  I've read quite my fair share of books.  From the anthology series, such as Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales from Jabba's Palace, to the individual novels and series.  Truce at Bakura, Shadows of the Empire, The Bounty Hunter Wars series, The Jedi Academy series, Thrawn trilogy, Coruscant Nights series, Outbound Flight...  I'm currently half-way through Allegiance.  My bookshelf is dominated by SW books and comics.  

I have a box of SW action figures, as well.  So yeah, I'm a bit obsessed. XD

Also, is it just me, or are there really lots of heavily inured Sith out there? It's almost as if you have to be crippled or malformed to become a Sith. Is it the people's wish to be as badass as Vader? The original lung-cancer-victim?

Lessee...  Vader, Palpatine's a deformed old coot, Malak lost his jaw to a lightsaber strike from Revan...  That's all that I can think of off-hand of horribly-deformed Sith.  Bane, Revan, Maul, Desolus, and Plagueis, from a quick skim over their articles to refresh my memory, are not requiring cybernetic limbs or jaws.  It's more of that Vader, Palpatine, and Malak just have some rotten luck.  But such are the risks of turning to the Dark Side...

Oddly enough, I don't think I've come across many disabled Fanon Sith Lords.  How strange.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:52:50 AM by Quickman »

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 05:23:49 PM
Lessee...  Vader, Palpatine's a deformed old coot, Malak lost his jaw to a lightsaber strike from Revan...  That's all that I can think of off-hand of horribly-deformed Sith.  Bane, Revan, Maul, Desolus, and Plagueis, from a quick skim over their articles to refresh my memory, are not requiring cybernetic limbs or jaws.  It's more of that Vader, Palpatine, and Malak just have some rotten luck.  But such are the risks of turning to the Dark Side...

Then there's a comic version of Maul who returned with a completely restored cybernetic lower body. And that new evilhead honcho in The Old Republic

Oddly enough, I don't think I've come across many disabled Fanon Sith Lords.  How strange.

Well MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE SOME!

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 05:42:27 PM
I remember seeing that Maul. I was like "lulwut?"

I mean, didn't he plunge down a frikken huge pit after being sliced in half by Obi-Wan?

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 06:17:49 PM
I also loved the Battlefront games. Those were absolutely awesome. Adding space battles for Battlefront 2, [tornado fang] yeah. I also highly enjoy any game that lets you do straight dogfights, no bullshit missions. Just give me an A-Wing and let me go.

Battlefront 1+2 is another game I remember, and that one stradegy SW game I remember too. Was it the SW that let you play from OOM 9's point-of-view?

And the Dark Horse SW series comics if I recall don't have crippled sith. *points to the New Sith Order ad from my free comic book two-in-one that happens to feature SW in the front, Conan in the back from the free comic book day*

The one in the ad from the New Sith Order was actually a Twilic or whatever those things are called that was red and black.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 07:03:26 AM
The cybernetic Maul shows up only in the Infinities timeline which isn't included in the regular canon, so I didn't include him.  

Well MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE SOME!
Yes, we need to make some crippled fanon Sith.  There's a serious lack of 'em.   We should combine our efforts and make a fanon Sith with a cybernetic head!  [tornado fang] YEAH!

And the Dark Horse SW series comics if I recall don't have crippled sith. *points to the New Sith Order ad from my free comic book two-in-one that happens to feature SW in the front, Conan in the back from the free comic book day*

The one in the ad from the New Sith Order was actually a Twilic or whatever those things are called that was red and black.

Twi'lek.  And that would be Darth Talon, one very smexy Sith.  

As far as crippled Sith of the NJO...  Darth Caedus has a prosthetic kneecap.  Darth Krayt has a prosthetic arm and eye.  Lumiya had numerous prosthetics.  There are prolly a few more, but at the moment, I don't feel like scouring all the Sith on Wookieepedia.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 08:04:04 AM
I'll be honest here, I never really understood the hype. I've seen the original trilogy and wasn't all that impressed by them.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 07:14:23 PM
We should combine our efforts and make a fanon Sith with a cybernetic head!  [tornado fang] YEAH!

Seriously, that's an awesome idea. I'll scribble something this evening! MAybe you can try and come up with a name of some sort.
I'm not as knowledgable as you, but let's make this the best Sith on Wookiepedia!

As far as crippled Sith of the NJO...  Darth Caedus has a prosthetic kneecap.  

That sounds DANGEROUS

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 07:55:29 PM
I always was a big SW fan...I´m really young so the first SW I saw was Ep. 1 and I thought that Qui Gon was the biggest BAM I saw in my life...till he got killed... Then I saw the original trilogy and was all like: Wait...they kinda missed 2 episodes  o-O .....yeah, I was some time confused by that... Boba Fett was one of those characters that just need some seconds of screen time and you know they are awesome (altough the on-screen "death" was one really dissapointing moment)
I´ve played only a few SW games...mostly Jedi Knights 2 and the SNES games... I liked JK but I hate the SNES ones (Unlogicly hard)
I always drew some fan characters, one of them was a Sith with four arms and 4 L-sabers and I thought how original I am....until ep. 3 aired.....FFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffff

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 08:07:15 PM
If I remember, Grevious had four arms, which he could weild four lightsabers if he wanted to, by splitting his arms anytime, and if I remember correctly, his legs also can act as arms as well if I do recall.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 08:11:44 PM
Boba Fett was one of those characters that just need some seconds of screen time and you know they are awesome (altough the on-screen "death" was one really dissapointing moment)

But Boba Fett isn't dead! He managed to escapr from the stomach of the Sarlacc which was explained in one of the many Star Wars comics I think.
SW has a really extensive universe nowadays. Comparable with the stuff you find in Dungeons&Dragons, or Lord of the Rings. It's really big, and has thousands of years of story BEFORE Episode I, and even stories that take place centuries after Episode 6.

I´ve played only a few SW games...mostly Jedi Knights 2 and the SNES games... I liked JK but I hate the SNES ones (Unlogicly hard)

That's why I am quite proud to be able to play through them without any gimmicks.

I always drew some fan characters, one of them was a Sith with four arms and 4 L-sabers and I thought how original I am....until ep. 3 aired.....FFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffff

You should post him anyway. You should.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 08:17:52 PM
The Xbox360 is backwards compatible with the original Xbox, right? Or should I get the PC versions?
PC version has mods~

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 09:40:44 PM
I'll scribble something this evening!

[tornado fang] YEAH!

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 11:33:08 PM
I still need to play KoToR. I always wanted.

What's your damn excuse for not having played those yet? I mean, even for the regular RPG crowd, these are absolute jewels.

You might want to get the PC versions. While the Xbox originals work on the 360, there's some bugs and all that stuff caused by emulation. Plus, there's tons of awesome mods for both games. Not only for enhancing your game, but also because there's so much cut stuff and bugs in these two games that needed fixing by the fanscene, especially TSL.

---

I guess I count as a Star Wars nerd because I have tons of the games and the novels. The regular fanbase might want to smithe me for saying this, but recently, the EU has been much more interesting for me than all that G-Canon stuff.

And since this is the perfect opportunity to ask:

What did you guys think of the "Deceived" Trailer for The Old Republic?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 11:44:07 PM
What's your damn excuse for not having played those yet? I mean, even for the regular RPG crowd, these are absolute jewels.
1. Didn't have XBox
2. My PC is crap

Such is the situation in my case :P

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 12:22:43 AM
My answer:

I'm lazy as hell.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 02:32:19 AM
Went to rent it once; someone else beat me to it. DAMN THEM!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything