Rockman & Community > Fan Creations

Basic Training: Image Tutorials and Drawing Help

(1/6) > >>

Quickman:
Yep, I'm bringing this topic back.  And I'm kicking it off with the start of a much-requested tutorial! 

It's not the most detailed of tutorials (I have a bigger one planned), but it should help.  For the tutorial, I decided to colour one of Borock's images.  Here it is so far with the skintones coloured.

How did I get to that point, you ask?  I'll tell you how!  Well, I'll at least give you a general idea how as it would be too tedious to go through each and every brush stroke, and a good bit of it was done by futzing around until it looked right.  Futzing is something that can't be taught.  Anywho...

I opened up the image, cleaned the linework a bit, and then made the background into a layer by Right-clicking on it in the Layers pallet and selecting "Layer From Background."  Then, I changed the Blending Modes (indicated in the image) to Multiply.  After that, I made another layer and put it below my linework layer.

That layer became my shading layer.  I decided on a lightsource and shaded it in grey.  I changed the Blending Mode of that layer to Multiply.  Then I made another layer for the colours.

Hide the shading layer.  Then put your base colour on your colour layer.  Labeling your layers may help you keep track of 'em when they get numerous.  I usually don't label mine as I just keep track of what's on what layer by hiding and unhiding it and seeing what colours disappear.

Once you got your base skin colour in, make a new layer.  This will be the first level of your skintones.

Put each shade on its own layer.  If you are unfamiliar with facial shading, references may help.  I usually have at least one or two references up just to make sure I'm getting the shadows right.  Usually two-tone anime and cartoon shading will not require this level of facial shading.  It's more of a personal preference, so shade however your style dictates.

Once you're done with the facial shading, unhide your cast shadow layer.  It will prolly end up being too dark for your liking.  There are several ways to fix this.  You can either go through the blending modes to see which one works best or adjust the opacity.  For this one, I just adjusted the opacity down to around 40%.

Now onto the arms...

For the skintones on the arms, put each shade on its own (or corresponding, as I did) layer.  If you are unfamiliar with anatomy, dig out some references to help you.

This is another personal preference, but I felt that my skintones were too harsh, so I used the Soften Brush set at 30 % and blended the layers.  Then I unhid the cast shadow layer and saved my progress as I was starting to get tired and didn't wanna end up rushing the colouring.  After unhiding the cast shadow layer, I felt that it looked a bit flat, so tomorrow I plan to add to that layer after I colour in the shirt, hair, paddle and such.

But there you go, a basic jist on colouring skintones.  I'm still perfecting my technique, so this definetly will not be a tutorial to end all tutorials.

borockman:
Oh, I learn a lot from this! the multiply thingie especially.   XD

And seeing my lineart colored like that. I'm touhed and impressed!  8)

Sniper X:
So that's how you coloured it? Interesting.

I just use the pen and the magic wand tool because I have no tablet. I'm practicing on cell shading style.

Jericho:
This topic could not have come back at a better time imo. Thank you for starting it Quickie! 8)

Quickman:
Part Two of the tutorial coming right up!

Here I opened up another reference mainly for a colour pallet.  I made a new layer for the shirt's base colour and added it in.

Just as I did with the skintones, I added highlights and shadow.  Each shade is on its own layer.

Then, I added the base colours to the decal on a new layer.

Again as I did with the shirt, I added the corresponding highlights and shadows, each shade on its own layer.

Next up... the paddle.  Again, new layer for base colour.

The paddle didn't require as many highlights and shadows as the shirt and skintones did, but I added 'em anyway.

Onto the hair.  Most anime and cartoon hair will not require as much detailed shading, but nevertheless, here is how I colour and shade hair.

I start with a new layer for my midtones and draw in the hair.

On another layer, I start adding some brown midtones.

Same with on another layer.  Those two layers are below my first hair layer.

On a layer above my first hair layer, I add in the shadow to give the hair a bit more depth.

I do the same with the highlights, on a layer above the shadow layer.

Now to fix that flat cast shadow...

On their own layers above my cast shadow layer, I add in two darker shades of grey.  I don't adjust the Blending Modes until last.

After that, I change the Blending Modes for those layers to Multiply.  I readjust the opacity for the first layer back to 100 %.  Then, I select all the shading layers and merge 'em.

Change the Blending Modes back to Multiply.  Drop the opacity down to about 40 %.  Save and viola!

And that's how I got to this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version