Good god, that was quite wonderfully placed

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #101 on: May 20, 2009, 03:28:47 AM
I gotta agree with Flame that X5 blew as a possible series ender.  Such an obvious cop-out as a boss explosion death after the baddie is already beaten leaves a lousy taste in one's mouth.  About the only thing X5 did right, story-wise, was referencing Iris and giving us a glimpse at the kickass viral-infected Zero in the alternate storyline.

And do not get me started on the gameplay flaws.  The title was a lot of experimentation and very little polish.  Ironic that X6, rushed as it was, corrected most of it.

Well, aside from the terrible nightmare bs that I've never thought was good, after replaying X4/5, my problems with X6 are nearly all gameplay issues. The levels are just really really frustrating and meh. So thats the direction I dislike, there. Again, aside from the Nightmare stuff, I really liked that it followed straight up from X5 instead of ignoring it, even though X5 should've ended it.
However X6 remains the only game in which you can (without password-hacking, anyway) obtain everything without beating anyone.  It's a lot of fun and it makes replays a blast, not to mention you can stall Nightmare Zero forever with the ol' Shadow Armor/Ultimate Buster combo.  One of the few things X7 did right was introduce New Game Plus, so the mechanic could be preserved without the ingeniously challenging level design (I mean the CORE level design, not the nightmare crap).

While I disagree on X8 being almost perfect, we can all agree on X7 :P
Even X7 got a few things right.  Not many, but a few.  For one thing it's the only game that made decent use of a Jedi-esque reflect saber.  Z4 tried, but the fact that they virtually eliminated standard projectiles made it worthless.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:03:44 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: May 21, 2009, 02:58:36 PM
gameplay elemnts aside, X5 was a bad ending. It makes almost no sense in relation to Z1's intro. what they did right was give Zero a nice Death scene. (with his remembering [parasitic bomb])

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:47 AM
How the topic has changed.  >w<

A Zero remake feels just way too early in present time. Capcom could instead focus on Powered Up 2 and/or Maverick Hunter X2. I bet that most people would agree with me on this one.

I cannot even remember X5's ending that well as X5 happens to be my least favorite X gameplay wise. But Z4 really did a great job with like, ending a serie for once. Felt like one giant breath of fresh air to me. Ironic how X5 was intended to do the same at one point in life.

And plot related platform games can give better appeal to them in my opinion.

Flok's favorites: