Cat [parasitic bomb] One (US: Apocolypse Meow)

Gaia · 3202

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
on: April 16, 2009, 05:02:22 AM
Trailer.

I'm pretty sure that this goes here because there's a manga relaiting to this.

Apocalypse Meow is a three volume manga series written and illustrated by Motofumi Kobayashi. It was originally published in Japan as Cat [parasitic bomb] One in 1998 by Softbank Publishing, but was renamed for the US release to parody the title of the film Apocalypse Now, which also took place during the Vietnam War. It was published in the UK in 2004 by ADV Manga. It was also released in Poland in 2006, also under the title Cat [parasitic bomb] One. It has been released in France, Belgium and Spain too, as Cat [parasitic bomb] One, by Gl¨¦nat in 2006.[1]

A computer-generated anime adaptation of Cat [parasitic bomb] One by Studio Anima is in the works.[2] The animated version was rumoured to revolve around the Iran hostage crisis, rather than Vietnam,[3], but a version of the trailer that includes non-official English subtitles indicates that the action takes place after 1991.[4] The series is due for release early 2010[5].

The manga follows three American soldiers in the Vietnam War named Bota, Packy and Rats. All three are in the recon group called Cat [parasitic bomb] One. Each mission (or chapter) shows the daily activities of the reconnaissance group in Vietnam. There are sections of the manga which give brief history and truths behind the war, such as the types of weapons used by different countries and the activities of forces in the war. At the end of volume one there is a chapter called Dog [parasitic bomb] One ¡ª separate from the main story ¡ª showing human characters.

[edit] Character depiction
The manga depicts the characters as different animals according to their nationality as follows:

American - Rabbit
Vietnamese - Cat
French - Pig
Chinese - Panda
Japanese - Monkey and Gorilla
Russian - Bear
Korean - Dog
British - Rat
Australian - Kangaroo and Koala
The depiction of Americans as rabbits is actually a pun on the Japanese word for rabbit. The Japanese word for rabbit is "¤¦¤µ¤®," which can be romanized as "USAGI." USA + GI = USAGI.

Sergent Perkins (aka Packy) - An American soldier and leader of the Cat [parasitic bomb] One recon group.
Sergent White (aka Rats) - American soldier who translates between Americans and Vietnamese.
Botaski (aka Bota) - American soldier. In the story his character shows a strong dislike of Asian people.
Chico - A Montagnard (or "Yard") trained by the Americans. His character is featured frequently in the story, especially near the end of volume three.

A friend of mine (Dustin, an MFS member) showed me this once, I'm pretty sure I might get a few laughs off of this.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:05:28 AM
Looking at the trailer, all I can say is...

You got your lolcats in mah Metal Gear Solid 4. XD

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:46:09 AM
Oh I am so watching that!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:48:53 AM
The animation is quite nice.  I can't wait for it to be released here.  As for getting the manga, why wait?  I'm gonna hit up Amazon.co.uk.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
This is pretty amusing, reminds me of this comic book

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:11:15 PM
This is pretty amusing, reminds me of this comic book

I remember this as well, read half of it in Barnes n' Noble once.  I might look into it once scans are coming in.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.