Protodude's Ramblings: The News Drought Rages On

Protodude · 2810

Offline Protodude

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Protodude's Rockman Corner
on: April 11, 2009, 07:20:53 PM
Yet another week goes by without any "huge" news stories. The drought is looking pretty bad but fret not; Coro Coro Comics is coming this week (April 15th), the very issue that was previously reported to unveil the winning boss design. If true, we might be getting our first look at a new game and our first "big" news story of the year.

In the meantime, take a gander at these small tidbits from the previous week:

Mega Man 9 Now Available On Amazon

...sort of. Here's the scoop: Amazon launched a new service allowing customers to purchase Xbox Live Arcade games through their store. Instead of purchasing an actual game, customers are paying for redeemable game codes which they have to enter into their 360 to download the game.

Mega Man 9 is among the lot, retailing for its regular XBLA price of $10.00 USD. Same game, different method of obtaining it.

Star Force 3 Delayed In North America

GameStop has updated their release schedule page showing that Mega Man Star Force 3 Black Ace and Red Joker have been pushed back to June 30th, 2009. Previously, GS listed both versions for a tentative June 9th release.

Capcom To Show New Games At Captivate '09

Capcom has boarded the hype train, promising to show off new games during the publisher's annual Captivate event.

"We'll also be talking about and playing with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (coming this summer, finally!), Resident Evil for the Wii and Bionic Commando, as well as announcing NEW GAMES!"

Can you feel the excitement? Similar to last year's event, Captivate won't be limited to the press; they've opened up some slots for members of Capcom-Unity to tag along for the festivities in Monte Carlo. For those who won't be able to attend, the news embargo lifts April 29th so expect to see trailers, screens and all sorts of stuff available publicly online.

Well, here's hoping for some new Mega Man material. (If I'm not mistaken, MM9 was "leaked" shortly after Captivate '08. Will something similar happen again?)

What Are The Chances Of A MM2 In HD?

In a thread on Capcom Unity, Seth Killian responded to a fan's inquiry regarding the possibility of a Mega Man 2 remake ala HD Remix style:

"MM2 gets nods from Capcom in a lot of places, so it's definitely at the top of our minds. Whether a straight HD port would work is an open question. To my mind, the model there is not MM Powered Up, but more like Bionic Commando: Rearmed, which started with all the original level designs, but added a lot of interesting new mechanics, etc.
    MM has already explored a lot of additional mechanics over the course of many games, so it's overall a trickier proposition, but I've gotta say I'd love to see it myself."

I would absolutely love to see something similar to Bionic Commando with added mechanics and the like. Still, I completely understand where s-kill is coming from; would a "remake" tarnish the already classic mechanics of MM2? Is it even worth the time and effort to add all sorts of new bells and whistles?

We'll see what the future holds.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:37 PM
Capcom To Show New Games At Captivate '09

Capcom has boarded the hype train, promising to show off new games during the publisher's annual Captivate event.

Can you feel the excitement? Similar to last year's event, Captivate won't be limited to the press; they've opened up some slots for members of Capcom-Unity to tag along for the festivities in Monte Carlo. For those who won't be able to attend, the news embargo lifts April 29th so expect to see trailers, screens and all sorts of stuff available publicly online.

Well, here's hoping for some new Mega Man material. (If I'm not mistaken, MM9 was "leaked" shortly after Captivate '08. Will something similar happen again?)

It may, it may not.

Over at NeoGAF, a tip that was found over at Giant Bomb was as follows:

On the Giant Bomb podcast, the Capcom guys said they were announcing at least two games: one would get everyone very excited and be a big surprise; the other would not surprise anyone (an expected sequel in other words).

Another 8-bit Rockman game could definitely fit into the scope of the latter. But we'll see. Maybe your "Shadow" dude could stand to give us something by then, in any case...

In other news, this will more than likely be the avenue where Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for PSN/LA will probably be formally announced, after having being leaked months ago...  8D

What Are The Chances Of A MM2 In HD?

In a thread on Capcom Unity, Seth Killian responded to a fan's inquiry regarding the possibility of a Mega Man 2 remake ala HD Remix style:

I would absolutely love to see something similar to Bionic Commando with added mechanics and the like. Still, I completely understand where s-kill is coming from; would a "remake" tarnish the already classic mechanics of MM2? Is it even worth the time and effort to add all sorts of new bells and whistles?

We'll see what the future holds.

Eh, why more remakes? MMPU and MHX were enough, in my opinion.

For all the effort that could go into such a thing, they could be making a NEW game. That would do more to stand to please everyone, as opposed to how remakes eventually divide "purists" from "revisionists".  8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:01:33 AM
On the Giant Bomb podcast, the Capcom guys said they were announcing at least two games: one would get everyone very excited and be a big surprise; the other would not surprise anyone (an expected sequel in other words).

I'm calling Marvel VS Capcom 3 (better yet Capcom VS SNK 3 please >.>) and a Megaman game.

For all the effort that could go into such a thing, they could be making a NEW game.

I say let the EXE universe games rest for a while and do both.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:03:18 AM
For all the effort that could go into such a thing, they could be making a NEW game. That would do more to stand to please everyone, as opposed to how remakes eventually divide "purists" from "revisionists".  8D

LoL, MM9 did that already though, with purists loving the 8-Bit Classic style and revisionists wanting it in HD 2.5 Super King Kamehameha [sonic slicer] style. 

There's no pleasing nerds!   8D

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:13:32 PM
NEW GAMES?

Well color me curious. Actually new IPs? That might be interesting.