Flame · 6819

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: October 06, 2018, 11:36:35 AM
This game is [tornado fang]ing awesome.

Discuss.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:52:03 AM
Yeah I liked it a lot.  Fun and challenging but not annoyingly hard.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:50:18 PM
I haven't gotten the game yet, but I played the demo and enjoyed it for the most part. I plan to get it next week. I got a lot of things to take care of first, but glad to see MM11 is doing well.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline SoloUnit315

• Net Navi
  • M-308 Gun Master
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 11:16:44 PM
It's been a while... Honestly, I'm glad Mega Man is making a return and it's being very well received, I just wish I could enjoy it as much as some people are. I want to like Mega Man 11, but it's very difficult to. Since a lot of people seem to regard the 8-bit games as some of the hardest games on the NES, and I can almost breeze through all of them without getting hit, I'm going to have to say this game's difficulty in unprecedented, and I feel as though it's for all the wrong reasons, really.

Levels are frustratingly long for a Mega Man game. They just go on and on and on. Really, I wouldn't have a problem with that if there were more flags to start off at, but they're really far apart and if you die, the level length has a nasty habit of making the whole experience very boring, very quickly.

When I do die, it is ALWAYS a pit or an insta-kill hazard coupled with a very inconveniently placed enemy. Seriously, Impact Man's stage is a friggin hell hole, much like Block Man's stage. I heard a lot of people had issues with Torch Man's stage, but as long as you have the blizzard attack, it's not difficult at all. But the pits are unforgivable for me, and a lot of it revolves around things you almost have no way of preparing for. It nearly makes it trial and error, and when you go back to beginning at the end of your lives, that feels bad bro.

It is PUNISHING. There are times when I can pick it up for about an hour and feel satisfied with it, but often, it feels cheep and outright annoying. VASTLY better than Mighty No. 9 for sure, and I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of it, but I really have to make time in advanced because, once again, the levels are SOOOOOOOO long. And these problems make it average. 7/10. Could have been much better.

Sometimes being the bigger man means holding the bigger weapon!

Offline SoloUnit315

• Net Navi
  • M-308 Gun Master
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:22:52 PM
Oh, and if they are going to bring Mega Man's classic side scrolling into the future, they really need to ditch this 2.5D nonsense. It isn't "ugly", but it's still stiff and awkward. This game would have been amazing with more expressive, smoother, hand drawn sprites. It's one of the most popular styles of the current year, and for good reason. It really gives games some polished character that MM11 currently lacks.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 05:51:33 PM
hand drawn sprites are an expensive endeavor in this day and age, especially so for a franchise that's unsure if it's comeback will be a hit, and, which was never a huge seller either.

Mega Man was never a top of the line seller outside of maybe Mega Man 2. It's just that the games were cheap enough to churn out that it didn't matter. 8 is probably the highlight of visual quality. But beyond that, once 3D took off, and 2.5D especially, it just isn't profitable to make a sprite based game, much less something of vanillaware tier quality.

The best we can hope for is for is for more of what 11 did, which was think of 2.5D in terms of classic 2D Mega Man. The process they went through of rendering stages as 2D images and seeing how they compare to the 8 bit days in visual design was a good approach that IMO, paid off.

not to mention, they clearly went to great lengths to mix 2D elements with 3D elements, and to give the whole game a sort of cartoonish vibe that in some parts almost looks 2D.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline SoloUnit315

• Net Navi
  • M-308 Gun Master
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 04:55:35 PM
There seems to be quite a lot of debate about which is more expensive, and devs tend to agree that it is contingent on the type of game being made. That’s neither here nor there, though, as a matter of personal preference.

What I will give them credit for is that the weapons you attain are far more useful than previous titles. If I’m being honest, I very rarely used attained weapons for anything other than boss battles (the obvious exception being metal blade). But in 11, there are plenty of circumstances that give you a strategic advantage to in changing weapons multiple times in a single map, and even during boss fights while you set yourself up to use their weakness. They certainly did that better than any title before it.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 02:07:27 PM
Finished the game in about 7 hours.

I enjoyed it a lot. The Double Gear system isn't quite the super essential mechanic I thought it would be, but it is helpful, and it does bring an identity to the game that not many sequels had before. The level design certainly encourages using the gears. I feel dirty using the slowdown, though! Haha. It is OP.

Other than that, this is typical Mega Man. Controls are fluid and precise enough (I wish you could continuously slide with no pause, but oh well). Weapons are very useful. I love the air dash and the ice wall. Levels and bosses are mostly well designed and challenging. There's nothing particularly inventive about the platform gimmicks this time, it's all kind of basic and familiar. But it's okay. I don't know if MM11's levels are longer than usual or if they just have more challenging bits per square pixel. I will say that one mini-boss per level is a bit excessive, and the castle felt like they gave up halfway through and decided to release the rest of it as DLC later.

I heard some bad things about the art style, but I think the game looks cool. It has smooth animation and a colorful, cartoony look. The only bleh thing IMO was the music. It sounds a little too techno generic for me... and sometimes just plain annoying, like Torch Man's stage. Just doesn't have the instant catchiness of previous OSTs. I dunno, maybe I'll get used to it.

But yeah, I really like the game and I hope Capcom has more plans for the series. Mega Man still feels like home.

My first stage order:
[spoiler]1. Block
2. Torch (holy moly this was hard)
3. Tundra (surely fire melts ice, right? Well...)
4. Bounce
5. Acid (by this point I usually had a weakness and/or enough E-Tanks to beat the remaining bosses without much trouble)
6. Fuse
7. Impact
8. Blast[/spoiler]

I don't think I'll bother with challenges and stuff right now. Back when MM9 and 10 came out I played them so much that I got burned out. Every now and then I'll come back to MM11 to replay the main game and do a few challenges at a time. They do look pretty interesting.