8D

This pic just screams "FULL OF WIN"! XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 05:20:47 AM
Well, I know this won't come as a surprise to everyone, but I'm the one who pushed the pixels!  8D

Yeah, I know I said I wasn't the one behind it, but April Fools is the only time you're really allowed to lie. ;)

It dawned on me near the beginning of March that April Fools was right around the corner, and I figured an X9 SNES mock up would be perfect. Perhaps predictable, but the intent wasn't really to fool anyone (though, that's always a nice side effect). I wasn't even counting on fooling anyone anyway; it was just something fun that I wanted to do, and I thought maybe some other people might think it's a neat idea. If anyone was upset at it, well, too bad. :P I was only doing it to have fun, and pleasing everyone isn't a requirement I have to meet to achieve that.

Still, overall, there's been worse reactions to pranks and hoaxes. :P To everyone who saw the fun in the idea, Vixy and I say "thanks!" Everyone who reacted in a sour way: "meh."

Yeah, something I need to point out is that Vixy was on board from the start. I told her about two weeks ago, before I even started to push pixels, about the idea. We actually bounced some ideas back and forth of what the levels could be, and that helped me come up with what I made. She also e-mailed the prank to other sites, which was awesome! And as always, typed up a very nice news post. ;)

So, on to the sprites... In fact, take a look at the tiles:

(There's un-used stuff at the top).

The funniest stuff I read was about the sprites. First of all, I promise you guys have never seen that Axl sprite before, because I made it from scratch just for this hoax. The only person who saw it before anyone else, was Oakes (who gave some great crits). Axl is also NOT an edit. If you can't tell by looking and comparing, well, I don't know how else to explain that he isn't.

None of the backgrounds have reused tiles from other games either. Everything there is also made from scratch. Designing the backgrounds was probably the most difficult part; which is why there's un-used stuff. I was originally just going to make tiles to set up several shots of the same level, but then I realized that the parts I was dividing the level up into, might as well be levels themselves.

The only kind of notable thing to say about them might be Zero's screen. :P When I finished making it, I realized it was stupid to have spikes on the walls when there was no reason to go near a wall. So I made these enemies that shoot out tornadoes that would push you into them. I thought it kind of made sense, and then made that part seem more dangerous.

So yeah, I still had a lot of fun doing this hoax, and that's all I really care about. :) I hope it at least made you guys want to pick up a controller, and play some of the old MMX games, or hope for a new one! After all, with enough fan interest, we might get one...

Ah, and the sprites and tiles are PD. :)

Honestly, awesome effort man.  It's always nice to see and read about what goes into this kinda stuff.  At least, for me it is!   

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 05:27:02 AM
Indeed, I enjoy good edits as well, especially if you can make it into something new or modify a piece into something more.

But I'll still razz ya about it if I can tell it's shooped. :P

And as far as people thinking they've seen that Axl before, well, there are all manners of MMX sprite comics that have had 16-bit mock Axl's; it's been a while since I've seen one last, so I could easily make the same mistake of thinking I had seen it.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 05:32:36 AM
I knew it was him the whole time. >_>

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 10:03:55 AM
I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! 8D

Lol, seriously, awesome job blackbeltdude, impressive sprites as always.
I've always been fascinated by your behind-the-scene progess on these things... :3

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 05:12:42 PM
Mr Shen Long huh?  Is here nobody else to make this things? Its getting predictable

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 05:37:15 PM
Wow blackbeltdude, you make me shock there, lol. Pretty impressive trick there!

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 01:27:55 AM
Anonymous tipster my ass.

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:10 AM
God, I would have loved for this to be true. *cries* I mean it's not like I was a big fan of some of the X games, but still. It would have been nice for a possible "fill in the plot holes" story.

damn you april 1st, damn you.

Revolutionary

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 08:37:19 AM
"fill in the plot holes" story.

Capcom just had an aneurysm trying to comprehend that statement.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 05:20:48 PM
Hmm, maybe it's an April Fools joke that BBD did it?

Every thing's an April Fools joke, you can't trust anyone!

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 12:59:38 AM
Hmm, maybe it's an April Fools joke that BBD did it?

Every thing's an April Fools joke, you can't trust anyone!

Well, I know this won't come as a surprise to everyone, but I'm the one who pushed the pixels!  8D

Offline Ryo

• I shouldn't be a
  • Robot Master
  • Coming to your local theater
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 06:29:41 AM
And I got so excited too...
Meh. Oh well. The real deal is bound to rear its head at least around the time when Rockman 9 was officially announced.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 09:13:17 AM
Yeah, next time have a running/charging "gameplay" shot, and it might be more believable :P

As for the filling of the plot holes... well, Capcom doesn't feel like pulling stuff out of it's ass yet, I guess. Yeah, they're just making it up as they go along, and if you actually think that they have the story fully written down somewhere... well... don't.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 02:07:29 PM
As for the filling of the plot holes... well, Capcom doesn't feel like pulling stuff out of it's ass yet, I guess. Yeah, they're just making it up as they go along, and if you actually think that they have the story fully written down somewhere... well... don't.

Not quite, whilst Capcom and Inti alays make things up as they go along, there's also a lot they know in advance. As of X2, they already had a whole plan for Zero and the Virus. Just as much as ZERO3 was planned with ZERO2 to lead up to it. For X7, they already figured out key portions of Axl's story before X7 was even made. Like the part about his scar being the most important part in the games after X7.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: April 04, 2009, 03:34:19 PM
Not quite, whilst Capcom and Inti alays make things up as they go along, there's also a lot they know in advance. As of X2, they already had a whole plan for Zero and the Virus. Just as much as ZERO3 was planned with ZERO2 to lead up to it. For X7, they already figured out key portions of Axl's story before X7 was even made. Like the part about his scar being the most important part in the games after X7.
His scar? What´s the deal with his scar? (Sorry, but I´ve totally ignored X7)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 04:39:30 PM
We don't know yet =p.

This is the story of how Axl was born. I was planning on making a new character since I started this development. It was very hard to decide the details in the characterization and then only half a year ago…we decided to make this new character. We have to have some freshness (new) & also it has to be accepted by the Rockman X fans. I was so careful to this point, because of my effort, everything was done very well. Axl's trademark is the scar on his forehead. This scar was put on Axl's head at the very last moment. (You can see the X7 Special Site). There are no scars on the original design to tell you the truth….I forgot to order to have the scar included in Axl's character design. At the time we were almost finished with Axl's character design, I said …..

"Oh…oh…I forgot about Axl's scar!"

I was so sorry for the designers, but after the X7 story….when it comes to Axl, the scar on his forehead is probably the most important thing about him. I asked the designer to put the scar in the most outstanding place on his forehead. As for the gun…we decided to set the copy shot immediately but it was very hard to implement this design. In the game you can't really see it well, but we did the gun design again and again anyway.

"I bet you're not getting all this stuff I am talking about…..ha,ha,ha!"

So I put in lots of time and effort. I feel that Axl is my adorable child. Please give your love to him.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: April 04, 2009, 06:08:21 PM
So I put in lots of time and effort. I feel that Axl is my adorable child. Please give your love to him.
Aww, Axl is an adorable child. ^^

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 10:17:26 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy all of that. The scar thing? They can say it's important all they want, but how much do you want to bet that they don't know in what way yet. For the Virus thing after X2? Sure, they had a basic premise for the X vs Zero fight I'm sure, but obviously didn't figure out how to execute it well, hence X5.

Really, don't give Game Designers too much credit; more often than not they're making it up as they go along. When they actually do have a base idea for later games, it often changes a lot in the process.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: April 05, 2009, 09:42:45 PM
On another note.

Quote from: ACE Spark
Oh yeah, RPM? Stop doing the same thing every year, foolz. XP

That's... actually a good point.  Wasn't this like the fourth "LOLZ new Megaman game confirmed" hoax in a row?

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: April 05, 2009, 09:44:40 PM
That wouldn't actually matter.

People will still [sonic slicer].

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 09:47:25 PM
Well, I for one wouldn't [sonic slicer] if they actually did something funny next year instead of the same damn prank for the fifth year in a row.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 10:12:57 PM
Maybe you wouldn't, but people still would.  I'd imagine it's because nerds don't like to be pranked, due to some deep seeded trauma of being pranked/made fun of all throughout school, or some sob story like that.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: April 05, 2009, 10:16:17 PM
Maybe you wouldn't, but people still would.  I'd imagine it's because nerds don't like to be pranked, due to some deep seeded trauma of being pranked/made fun of all throughout school, or some sob story like that.

And Blues doesn't like to be pranked because he's too cool to be pranked, so start [sonic slicer]ing about it too!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: April 05, 2009, 10:20:43 PM
And Blues doesn't like to be pranked because he's too cool to be pranked, so start [sonic slicer]ing about it too!

LoL, well he tends to take things a little too seriously too.  At least he looks awesome while doing it!