Zero was way cooler before he became playable.

Sub Tank · 30656

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:24 PM
thats what I mean, he just is portrayed as overly cold, and thats what bugs me. whatever happened to the attitude he had in X5 and 6? he was more serious, but still retained a certain amount of surface personality.

First X4 happened. After Iris died, he stopped doing the thumbs up victory pose, then X5 and X6 happened. Remember, there's an in depth conversation about Sigma using Zero's DNA to create a Virus. That's what happened to Zero. It's called character development. However, I completely disagree that he's gotten too cold, he might be getting colder as time goes by, which is entirely fitting with his ZERO-series portrayal, but he always keeps on showing his personality in the remarks he makes. He also has plenty of moments of kindness and compassion, aside from just being all cool.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: April 01, 2009, 08:44:49 PM
First X4 happened. After Iris died, he stopped doing the thumbs up victory pose, then X5 and X6 happened. Remember, there's an in depth conversation about Sigma using Zero's DNA to create a Virus. That's what happened to Zero. It's called character development. However, I completely disagree that he's gotten too cold, he might be getting colder as time goes by, which is entirely fitting with his ZERO-series portrayal, but he always keeps on showing his personality in the remarks he makes. He also has plenty of moments of kindness and compassion, aside from just being all cool.

Zero showed a plenty of emotions in MMZ4, especially after his fight with Kraft

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #77 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46:50 PM
And the cutscene art of the Elpis fight.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: April 04, 2009, 03:22:43 AM
First X4 happened. After Iris died, he stopped doing the thumbs up victory pose

He still did it in X5... X6 he stopped because they completely redesigned his sprites.

Offline Galappan

• Mode Change
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Defense Mode
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: April 04, 2009, 04:07:18 AM
I love him in Z Series. I didn't care of him much in X4 (My 1st X game). I only refer him as "The Red Dude" at that time. Z series catapults my interest towards the entire series. Without Zero Series I may not be as avid right now with Rockman.

Zero becoming cold? Maybe he later realize that showing too much emotions is not worthy anymore.  :\  :(

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #80 on: April 04, 2009, 04:34:35 AM
As I said I found Zero to have a decent personality in X5, X6, and X8.  In XCM he seemed a little more withdrawn than usual, although I suppose getting blasted off a cliff by an ally will do that to you.  And it is the next century and all, so some change in personality isn't all that unusual.  In X7 he's dry throughout, but as I said, nobody got any favors personality-wise in X7.  X was a whiney [sonic slicer], and Axl a clingy nutcase.  Zero's personality shift in X7 does make some level of sense to me, though.  In remaining on the battlefield he is opposing X's recent pacifist stance.  That's bound to cause some tension between them.  Like oh-so-many things in the X-series, it works, it just didn't get the best level of focus.

He still did it in X5... X6 he stopped because they completely redesigned his sprites.
Here's another monkey wrench for that one: Zero does *NOT* give the thumbs-up in Xtreme2, while Iris is alive and kickin'.

Bad Zan, bad!  You know better than that! :P

So, yeah, the thumb-vs-no thumb in 2D games before and after Iris's death is actually even.  No thumb in Xtreme2, thumb in X4, thumb in X5, no thumb in X6.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: April 04, 2009, 07:33:57 AM
its just different styles. his Xtremem sprite doesnt have athumbs up, and in X6, they didnt give him one. after that, he did a fancy saber sheathing thing and teleported out.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: April 04, 2009, 02:21:04 PM
Here's another monkey wrench for that one: Zero does *NOT* give the thumbs-up in Xtreme2, while Iris is alive and kickin'.

Like I felt like booting up X5. >.>

In X7 he's dry throughout, but as I said, nobody got any favors personality-wise in X7.

That's mostly just the voice actor.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: April 04, 2009, 04:28:16 PM
It's been a while, but I'm not sure that Zero sheathed his weapon in the X7 victory.  I think that started with X8.

Like I felt like booting up X5. >.>
Point taken.  But you can easily remember with the principle of sprite re-use.  Zero's only new sprites in X5 are for new moves (Z-Buster, laying/kneeling on the ground, wires, and Genmurei).  Everything that existed in X4 was recycled.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: April 04, 2009, 04:37:53 PM
Point taken.  But you can easily remember with the principle of sprite re-use.  Zero's only new sprites in X5 are for new moves (Z-Buster, laying/kneeling on the ground, wires, and Genmurei).  Everything that existed in X4 was recycled.

Zero could already teleport out without thumbs up in X4. Sprite reuse has nothing to do with it..

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: April 04, 2009, 04:50:11 PM
Touche.

Alright, animation/scenario re-use.  He might beam-out without thumbs-upping in X4, but when he does that there is no pause or victory music either.

Same applies to X and punching the air.

Offline AdamTheHedgehog

• Godly Artist
  • B-Class Hunter
  • YOURS IS THE BRUSH THAT WILL PAINT THE HEAVENS!
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: April 04, 2009, 05:21:34 PM
nope. just Classic 1, 2, and 3.

Actually, MMX is on the VC.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: April 04, 2009, 07:17:38 PM
since when?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: April 04, 2009, 07:23:20 PM
Zero could already teleport out without thumbs up in X4. Sprite reuse has nothing to do with it..
Cut his thumbs. |:

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #89 on: April 04, 2009, 07:42:50 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57:50 PM
Actually, MMX is on the VC.
yet again you prove you don't know what the [tornado fang] you're talking about.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: April 05, 2009, 12:38:55 AM
yet again you prove you don't know what the [tornado fang] you're talking about.

But he's right, MMX is on the VC, just not in this timeline.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #92 on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:09 AM
20XX, not earlier... but we can be proven wrong. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: April 05, 2009, 01:08:33 AM
they couldve skipped that animation and gone straight to the teleportation one.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: April 08, 2009, 03:33:51 AM
The thing is, In the SNES Games, Zero was trully badass, he was much more of a "mentor" to X than a "BFF".

I remember seeing him in X1 to X3, in each and every of his scenes, he is shown as an overpowered ultimate combat machine. Visibly stronger than X. I think he was meant to be this trully badass character that was rather here to guide and save X when the situation was too tight for him to handle alone. I was actually happy to play him, but from X4 and onward, he just became a regular hunter and even got weaker as the serie progressed, I'll never forget how ridiculously powerful X is in X7. I mean, You struggle like a bastard to beat the bosses with Zero and Axl, and then, you unlock X and from there, you just breeze through the rest of the game. it's even worse when you find the 4 parts of his armor. he is godmodded. I'd like ti if there was a game where X and Zero would have their definite differences in stats to trully define who they are supposed to be. Or even better, just make Zero playable as a bonus or something.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: April 08, 2009, 03:51:48 AM
The thing is, In the SNES Games, Zero was trully badass, he was much more of a "mentor" to X than a "BFF".

I remember seeing him in X1 to X3, in each and every of his scenes, he is shown as an overpowered ultimate combat machine. Visibly stronger than X. I think he was meant to be this trully badass character that was rather here to guide and save X when the situation was too tight for him to handle alone. I was actually happy to play him, but from X4 and onward, he just became a regular hunter and even got weaker as the serie progressed, I'll never forget how ridiculously powerful X is in X7. I mean, You struggle like a bastard to beat the bosses with Zero and Axl, and then, you unlock X and from there, you just breeze through the rest of the game. it's even worse when you find the 4 parts of his armor. he is godmodded. I'd like ti if there was a game where X and Zero would have their definite differences in stats to trully define who they are supposed to be. Or even better, just make Zero playable as a bonus or something.
I completely agree with this, I mean in X1 Zero shoots off the arm of the ride armor in the first level and I was like "AWESOME!'' Then in X2 he punches a giant hole in the ground for you with ease. Also when you battle him in X2 he has all these awesome moves you never get to do in the X series, only unlocking model Ox in ZX allows this.

However in the X series when you play as him he's limited to just his saber which isn't as strong as it always looked. Then X5 gives him his buster back but wait, you are planted to the ground unable to move, can't use it unless standing and even if you hit the enemy it sucks unless you're right in front of them to begin with! Da hell?! In X6 he's not too bad but that game was so awful ((imho)) that it didn't matter. In X7 you can up his combo to about 7 hits if i remember correctly, and he still gets his anal beat. X8 they [tornado fang] over his dash and he still has no buster to speak of and that saber still isn't that strong. To be fair to the [parasitic bomb] I give about the strength of the saber it IS a combo hit weapon. The double jump is really the only thing going for him, ((again imo)).

Point is, no matter how much I like or dislike Zero, he seemed so much greater before you could play as him. Or perhaps he sucked the whole time and we just never knew. We just assumed he was awesome. Maybe.  [eyebrow]

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: April 08, 2009, 06:54:26 AM
Maybe everyone else got better while Zero stayed the same.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:29 AM
This is also very plausible.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: April 08, 2009, 01:51:42 PM
You expected Wily would build something good? :P JK

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: April 09, 2009, 12:15:49 AM
heres the thing. the moment he became a playable character next to X, he couldnt be broken anymore for gameplay reasons. in X1 and 2, he wasnt playable, so he could be as broken as the story called for. in X3, he was semi playable, so his 3 shot combo was toned down and the saber wave was done away with and it became a close range saber swing instead. but he was still overpowered, because his sole gameplay purpous is to get through areas that the player sucked at with X's solitary charge shot. he was your crutch to lean on until you got the armor. if youve ever fought a boss as Zero with the Zero code, youll notice that 2 saber swings takes down any boss. in X4 and on, he became fully playable, and they thought of a cheap ingenious way of making him playable, while making him the opposite of X, for game play variation in the two identical segments. they made him close range, as opposed to his previous long to mid range. so they did away with the buster, and focused on the saber. and made him equal to X.

also, you do get  to use the moves Zero does in X2. the ground pound is in every X game he's in. Ox simply lets you use all the different ones at once. blocking... that was odd, even for an X game, as Zero is the only character in the X series to ever block like that.