Do you write?

Rin · 12249

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 04:34:13 AM
I don't quite write, but I think of story ideas all the time. The big problem with this is that new ideas always form in my head, and I forget my older ideas after some time.  :(

One story, though, one BIG story, has survived for 5-7 years in my noodle, though: "Hunter EX." Simply put, the main character's older brother perfects genetic engineering to assist in helping humanity rebuild after the destruction of World War 3. After he alters his younger brother's DNA and sees his brother in action with the "enhancements," he goes batshit and tries converting everyone into these "super humans." Those who turn down the offer are, in his own messed-up mind, "holding back the evolution of humanity," and thus he turns cold towards normal humans.

Eventually the hero's older brother brainwashes the super humans he converted and turns them into his own personal army, proceeding to try and eliminate the remnants of normal humans "holding evolution back." This causes the super humans to be called "Hunters" (hunting down people and all that). When the main hero discovers his brother's twisted intentions, he escapes before he can be brainwashed, and proceeds to make a resistance force composed of both humans and Hunters saved from brainwashing to fight his brother's army. The hero becomes recognized by his codename: "EX."

Action, romance, genetics, a wiseass hero, comedy, and pure insanity ensue.  :\

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 08:06:25 AM
Does writing eloquently comes with years or practice? I just don'y know if I can write that eloquent or maybe I just lack confidence.
It's just natural ability.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 08:09:27 AM
Lol.

Seriously though, to compose good, solid, and engaging prose, you usually need to practice.  It is the same with drawing.  You need to practice.  Just because a person can put words on a page doesn't necessarily make 'em a writer and me and PB can name people who think otherwise. 

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 01:39:58 PM
Quantity brings quality.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 01:55:21 PM
I can't, I'm illiterate.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 06:24:43 PM
Quantity brings quality.

Funny I thought it was quality over quantity but I guess that is not the case in writing.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 06:48:53 PM
Quantity brings quality.

fanfiction.net

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 07:33:42 PM
I can't, I'm illiterate.
I sincerely hope other people will get this.

Offline Yami Blade

• Tenkai Star
  • Robot Master
  • Tenka Gomen no Samurai Sentai....
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 07:42:26 PM
Yes and No.

I write, but I never post anything because I think it might attract people who go "You Write bad and you should feel bad!"  or "OMG! This suck teh suck!"

"When debating, solve your disagreements not by words, but by screaming 'I AM A MAN!!!', and punching them in the guts. Allow me to demonstrate... I AM A MAN!!!! *punch*"

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 08:06:58 PM
Yes and No.

I write, but I never post anything because I think it might attract people who go "You Write bad and you should feel bad!"  or "OMG! This suck teh suck!"
That's what I always thinking. I keep hesitate. ._.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 11:52:43 PM
Funny I thought it was quality over quantity but I guess that is not the case in writing.
Well, it's just a more stupid way of saying "practice makes perfect".
fanfiction.net
What about it? 90% of everything is still crap.

-

Read this study some arts class professor did, see. He had 2 classes - one was instructed that the quality of the one ceramic bowl they made would be the basis of their grade for the course, while the other that the number of bowls they made would be the basis.
By the end of the year, the second group was producing bowls of higher quality than the bowls the first group had put all their effort into.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 04:43:01 AM
How do write those thought provoking, quasi spiritual writing like "Where is the dream? At the end of reality. Where is reality? At the end of your dream?" type of deal?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 05:41:42 AM
Well, start by looking at things in entirely different ways.  Then practice on adjusting your prose to match what you see.  Also, reading other authors' works and studying how they construct the page will help.

And I mean read real, published authors.  Fanfiction authors usually are not the best to use as examples as they are mostly amateurs.  Granted, there are some good fanfic authors out there, but they only got that way 'cause they referenced to real authors and studied how to properly construct a story and write their prose.

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 05:50:16 AM
I do write on my DA account, but I'm not really confident in my writing. Most of the stories I'm working on don't have a definite conclusion yet, so I've hit writers block in that sense.

http://yuu-kokorozashi-ou.deviantart.com/

feedback pl0x.

Revolutionary

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 04:00:22 AM
Not bad, in fact, quite good writing skills in my opinion.
Perhaps I may contact you when I need a bit of help writting my own stories.

Offline Galappan

• Mode Change
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Defense Mode
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: April 04, 2009, 04:17:19 AM
I also have plenty of ideas stocked in my mind. I just don't how to start or I have no enough inspiration yet to truly start it *Or maybe I'm just waiting for the right venue to come* 8D. I input all my sudden gush of ideas on my Top Secret Files Folder from time to time though.

I should gather myself first.  :)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 05:47:45 PM
I know writing involves a lot of research but sometimes when I look at other posts or other people’s work, I wonder just what do I need to know to this? I am neither a mathematician, engineer, occultist or any occupation yet I have idea for stories that utilizes these occupations. Where do I go for research? How did previous writers before me found their knowledge on certain topics and are able to develop a story around them? Again, I am in neither of those occupations but I do not know how to write as if I was one in of them and I cannot afford a hands on experience on my budget, what can I do about that?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 05:55:04 AM
Well, you are using the internet...

When I write stories or serve as creative consultant and need to do research, I use Google.  I may have a substantial psychology knowledge, but I am not a psychologist.  I got that knowledge from reading textbooks.  When I was growing up, my mum attended school and took psychology courses, so I would read her abnormal psychology textbook.  I also went to the library.  I read books.  That's how I amassed my psychology knowledge.

If you wanna write about engineering, then go to a library and get books on engineering.  Or look up engineering online.  If you wanna write about the occult, go to the library and get books, or look it up online.  Math?  Library and the internet.  Research your topic.  You have one of the biggest research tools available to you.  Use it.

Also, remember that you're writing fiction.  You are free to take certain liberties and bend rules to your liking.  However, a lil research still goes a long way and you should know the rules first before you break 'em.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 05:10:03 AM
Yes, I does. Although there are a few spelling errors here and there.

http://forum.rockmanpm.com/index.php?topic=196.0

It's based off of... Well. Nothing but the crazy idea's in this head? <_<

Aresian

Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 11:03:53 AM
What about it? 90% of everything is still crap.

OK... Sturgeon.

Yeah, I write. Did a few fanfics, I do most of my own work though. Primarily I've been working on my story, Light of Narshald for the last... infinite years. Well, 9 years to be precise. Going on 10.

It's more like a series of large stories, seperated by number/title. Initially, the first story is about a Humanoid weapon called Aresian Arsinist (now you know where the name comes from, sorta) who eventually goes from being a mere weapon, to a soldier and then to a leader who aspires to bring change to the world he lives on by putting an end to the strife and warring between nations. Aptly named, LON 1 is also called "Light of Narshald: The Unification Era"

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: April 11, 2009, 11:56:25 AM
It actually seriously saddened me yesterday because I found out I haven't finished anything in nearly 6 years. Me and a friend were discussing fanfiction and I never show it to anyone, but we decided to swap stories and I checked the date. Jesus.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 01:52:40 AM
i rite storee
[spoiler][17:44] prismman_sky: K STORY TIEM
[17:45] prismman_sky: ONCE UPAWN A TIEM THAR WUZ MONSTAR
[17:45] prismman_sky: BUT HE WANT 2 BE PRINCE K?
[17:45] starryomega: O:
[17:46] prismman_sky: HE TRAVEL TO MYSTIKUL LAND 2 MEET WIZARD WHO CAN TURN HIM IN2 PRINCE
[17:46] prismman_sky: BUT WIZARD WANT HIM TO DO 3 TASKS
[17:46] prismman_sky: THE FIRST WAS TO BRING NINTEY PIECES OF ROYAL GOLD TO WIZZARD
[17:46] starryomega: Oooo~
[17:46] prismman_sky: MONSTUR NO LIEK STEALING BUT HE HAD TO TO FULFILL HIS DREEM, SO HE STEAL FROM KINGDOM KNOWN FOR TERRORIZING OWN PPL
[17:47] prismman_sky: WIZARD IS PEEZED BY GULD K?
[17:47] starryomega: K
[17:47] prismman_sky: DEN MONSTUR HAFF 2 GO BRING TEH SACRED SPRING WATER IN ZE CASTLE WELL
[17:48] starryomega: O:
[17:48] prismman_sky: BUT MONSTUR NOT KNOW HAO 2 GET SPRING WATUR BECUZ HE IZ UGLY AND UGLY THINGS GET SHOT AT IN TOWN K?
[17:48] prismman_sky: SO HE ASK MAID IN FARM CUNTRY TO GO FOAR HIM, HE NOT WANT 2 USE MONSTUR TACTICS BUT SHE SO AFRAID HE GUNNA EAT HER SHEEP SHE DU WAT HE ASK
[17:48] prismman_sky: WIZURD IZ PEEZED, ZEN ASK FOR HEART OF SLAIN DRAGUN
[17:48] prismman_sky: MONSTUR REFUSE TO SLAY ONE OF HIS OWN KIND K?
[17:49] prismman_sky: BUT WIZURD SAY IF U LEEV NAO I CURSE YOU TO ETERNAL LIFE OF DECAY
[17:49] prismman_sky: MONSTUR NOT KNOW WAT 2 DU
[17:50] prismman_sky: HE GO TO DRAGON CUNTRY IN HIGH MOONTAINS AND TELL ZEM OF WIZURD'S REKWESTS
[17:50] prismman_sky: DRAGONS SAY WE ATTACK WIZZURD BUT MONSTUR SAY HOW I BECUM PRINCE
[17:50] prismman_sky: DRAGUNS SAY YOU ALREADY PRINCE FOR TELLING US OF EVIL MAN WISHING TO HAVE US ALL KILLED
[17:50] starryomega: o3o
[17:50] prismman_sky: LEADING DRAGUNS, MONSTUR DESTROYS WIZURD AND RETURNS GOLD TO KINGDUMB
[17:51] prismman_sky: MONSTUR BECOMES PRINCE OF DRAGON CUNTRY
[17:51] prismman_sky: ZE END
[17:51] prismman_sky: YAY
[17:51] starryomega: YAAAY~
[17:51] prismman_sky: CAPITAL LETTERS[/spoiler]

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: April 17, 2009, 03:09:22 PM
i rite storee
[spoiler][17:44] prismman_sky: K STORY TIEM
[17:45] prismman_sky: ONCE UPAWN A TIEM THAR WUZ MONSTAR
[17:45] prismman_sky: BUT HE WANT 2 BE PRINCE K?
[17:45] starryomega: O:
[17:46] prismman_sky: HE TRAVEL TO MYSTIKUL LAND 2 MEET WIZARD WHO CAN TURN HIM IN2 PRINCE
[17:46] prismman_sky: BUT WIZARD WANT HIM TO DO 3 TASKS
[17:46] prismman_sky: THE FIRST WAS TO BRING NINTEY PIECES OF ROYAL GOLD TO WIZZARD
[17:46] starryomega: Oooo~
[17:46] prismman_sky: MONSTUR NO LIEK STEALING BUT HE HAD TO TO FULFILL HIS DREEM, SO HE STEAL FROM KINGDOM KNOWN FOR TERRORIZING OWN PPL
[17:47] prismman_sky: WIZARD IS PEEZED BY GULD K?
[17:47] starryomega: K
[17:47] prismman_sky: DEN MONSTUR HAFF 2 GO BRING TEH SACRED SPRING WATER IN ZE CASTLE WELL
[17:48] starryomega: O:
[17:48] prismman_sky: BUT MONSTUR NOT KNOW HAO 2 GET SPRING WATUR BECUZ HE IZ UGLY AND UGLY THINGS GET SHOT AT IN TOWN K?
[17:48] prismman_sky: SO HE ASK MAID IN FARM CUNTRY TO GO FOAR HIM, HE NOT WANT 2 USE MONSTUR TACTICS BUT SHE SO AFRAID HE GUNNA EAT HER SHEEP SHE DU WAT HE ASK
[17:48] prismman_sky: WIZURD IZ PEEZED, ZEN ASK FOR HEART OF SLAIN DRAGUN
[17:48] prismman_sky: MONSTUR REFUSE TO SLAY ONE OF HIS OWN KIND K?
[17:49] prismman_sky: BUT WIZURD SAY IF U LEEV NAO I CURSE YOU TO ETERNAL LIFE OF DECAY
[17:49] prismman_sky: MONSTUR NOT KNOW WAT 2 DU
[17:50] prismman_sky: HE GO TO DRAGON CUNTRY IN HIGH MOONTAINS AND TELL ZEM OF WIZURD'S REKWESTS
[17:50] prismman_sky: DRAGONS SAY WE ATTACK WIZZURD BUT MONSTUR SAY HOW I BECUM PRINCE
[17:50] prismman_sky: DRAGUNS SAY YOU ALREADY PRINCE FOR TELLING US OF EVIL MAN WISHING TO HAVE US ALL KILLED
[17:50] starryomega: o3o
[17:50] prismman_sky: LEADING DRAGUNS, MONSTUR DESTROYS WIZURD AND RETURNS GOLD TO KINGDUMB
[17:51] prismman_sky: MONSTUR BECOMES PRINCE OF DRAGON CUNTRY
[17:51] prismman_sky: ZE END
[17:51] prismman_sky: YAY
[17:51] starryomega: YAAAY~
[17:51] prismman_sky: CAPITAL LETTERS[/spoiler]
What a very nice adventure story!

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 07:22:09 PM
Could you make stories from outlines?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #49 on: April 19, 2009, 11:18:31 AM
Yep.  Outlines will help you to keep your plotline organized.  I used outlines for stories once.  Great for jotting down ideas real quick, too.