Computer Problem Thread

Flame · 204546

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #600 on: March 10, 2011, 07:27:54 PM
That's actually what I was about to suggest, reseating the ram, or removing a ram stick if you have more than one.

Looks like all you need is a phillips screwdriver to open it up.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/_MultiCountry/disassembly_notebo_2009101682934.pdf

Does it post?

I'm guessing it does since the lights come on.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #601 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:40 PM
I'm guessing it does since the lights come on.

That kind of guessing is what keeps me in a job, and you without a working computer until you bring it to me.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #602 on: March 11, 2011, 12:21:35 AM
Well, thanks guys, but it's not necessary anymore (not in a good way but still).

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #603 on: March 11, 2011, 01:54:28 AM
Well don't hold out on us. What was the problem with it?

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #604 on: March 11, 2011, 02:21:05 AM
Repair guy that usually helps us told me over the phone that it probably had something to do with the video card or something, and told me to go with the guys at HP since it would be easier. I did and went to the one that's like 2 blocks away, they told me to call costumer service since they don't receive that kind of model there (-___-). I called them, they then told me the system said that I didn't have a warranty anymore despite having bought an extension, so they said that I should go to the place where I bought it. I did that (you can probably imagine I was quite annoyed by now), they checked the laptop, talked over the phone with I dunno who since my mother was taking care of that part, said that it probably was the video card and I should send it for repairs to HP *sigh*

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #605 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:17 AM
Welcome to Customer Service. If you're not fixing it yourself, then take it to a local computer shop instead of going through HP. They'll fix it faster and cheaper.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #606 on: March 11, 2011, 10:00:51 PM
I got my MP3 back but I don't want a repeat performance. I like to run with my MP3 but I don't want it to freeze up on me. How do I handle a Visual Land Mp3. I had never been friends with Visual Land Mp3s.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #607 on: March 12, 2011, 04:56:37 AM
Welcome to Customer Service. If you're not fixing it yourself, then take it to a local computer shop instead of going through HP. They'll fix it faster and cheaper.

Yup. They should be able to give you an estimate. Not sure if it'll cost you for them to examine and give an estimate though. I only do it as a side job, so I don't usually charge for that but they might being it's their primary income source. Reminds me of the time when I charged 15$ an hour, thinking it was high. Come to find out people typically charged about 70$ an hour for the same service. And now I work for the police.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #608 on: March 15, 2011, 01:06:05 AM
Help please? My dad recently bought an HP Photosmart wireless D1100 printer for his new 2 month old HP Windows 7 laptop. And cant install it. The installation always fails. the Printer just isnt recognized by the computer, even with drivers, disks, nothing.

Thing is though, it installed just fine on MY computer. A 2 year old Acer Windows Vista.

Figure that [parasitic bomb] out. It should be the other way around! XD
Weve tried just about EVERY way to get this thing on, and even the Geek Squad is stumped. (3 hours. 3 hours we spent in best buy. 3! Just on this thing!) The only solution they can offer is that it may be some sort of system error, and therefore, try resetting 7 to factory settings.

He doesnt really have much on there yet, (just some pics, all of which are already backed up) so there isnt much issue, but it would be a hassle, and Im almost dead certain the problem wouldnt be fixed.

We even tried it WITH the wire. Nothing. It says that if it has the USB cord it should automatically install drivers. But it doesnt. this printer just doesnt exist.

Help? Before our heads go through the wall in frustration?

the error it gives is 0x00000057

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #609 on: March 15, 2011, 05:45:52 PM
It would seem that the printer isn't supported by windows 7. I've seen posts of where the CD says for you to upgrade to XP or vista.

Try using the Deskjet 970cse (or 970cxi) drivers from Add Printer. If it isn't there, use Windows update. If that doesn't work, take it back to the store and get a newer one, or atleast one that supports 7.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #610 on: March 16, 2011, 01:47:10 AM
yeah. the CD disk says on it that it works with 7 though.

We tried the 970 deskjet, and it works, but now the test page never finishes printing. (printing stops a few seconds in, and the page just stays there.)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #611 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:39 AM
So, whenever I open Ventrillo and go on a server, it'll screw up my audio in other things. Even if I'm so much as on there for 10 seconds without saying or hearing anything, it'll do this.

Basically, sounds/music/whatever will go mono and even badly muffled if it comes in too quietly. The moment it gets loud enough, it'll switch back to clear Stereo. After a bunch of messing around, I can definitely say it's Vent causing this, as I don't have the issue until after I run it at all. Some specs that might be of use:

Sound Driver: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
Headphones: Sennheiser PC 151

Volume is usually around 24%. Increasing it doesn't make a difference. Media player doesn't affect it either.

The options I'm given for output on Ventrillo are:
"Default wave mapper" ("Default DirectSound Device" if "Use Direct Sound" is checked)
"Speakers (Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221)"

There's also some Hardware Input Mixer thing. No clue what it does, but it's optional anyways.

Any ideas?

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #612 on: April 06, 2011, 03:29:14 AM
This is not good for me but my sister got some malware attack on her computer. I tried using the restore point but it came back and that worked before on ym computer. I just don't know if I can just remove it especially when the cd rom drive is not working so I cannot restore anything. What can I do? I might be in trouble again and I don't want to make things worst. I hate malware, the hackers who invented it and it is not as though my dad trusts most programs beside ESET anyway.

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #613 on: April 06, 2011, 06:20:14 AM
I suppose you've tried using antivirus? Malware bytes is a really good program, and best of all, it's free.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #614 on: April 06, 2011, 08:26:40 AM
What Hiryu said.
How far back did you go in system restore? Try going real far back. If it came back, it might come back again, but it's worth a try.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #615 on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:57 PM
What Hiryu said.
How far back did you go in system restore? Try going real far back. If it came back, it might come back again, but it's worth a try.

I only went back three days but I will tryagain to see if I get different results.

I suppose you've tried using antivirus? Malware bytes is a really good program, and best of all, it's free.

I did before when I was trying to repair my dad's compute but he doesn't trust it that much due to it looking similar to the very similar to what I was fighting against. I don't know if its all that reiable since I need to pay to get a full version. Will a crack be acceptable? I am not sure but it may or may not workout. Can trust it it? I don't know.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #616 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:12 PM
There are lots programs that make you pay to upgrade to 'full version' in order to 'get rid of this one evil threat' on your computer that the program just happens to detect.
These are actually frauds that download the virus onto your computer to make you panic and pay to get rid of it.

There are lots of free antivirus/antimalware programs out there that don't do this.

Looking for a crack for a program usually results in a bunch of other things being downloaded into your computer. For the record. I don't really feel qualified to give recommendations, but you can search around.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #617 on: April 06, 2011, 05:46:07 PM
Try "Avast!". I recommend it, and I install it on all the PCs in my work place too (net cafe). ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #618 on: April 09, 2011, 05:46:49 PM
My computer's OS won't load, I had a blue screen that say that ther eis a file that doesn't work or somehting and now OS won't load. What should I do?

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #619 on: April 09, 2011, 06:20:42 PM
Does it give you some sort of error message when it tries to load Windows or about your hard drive's boot sector/boot record? Try to find your OS's startup/installation disk.

Also, can you tell us who made your computer and what type of model it is?

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #620 on: April 11, 2011, 04:23:36 AM
Its an HP Vectra VL400 SF and now my desktop cannot see the monitor. I attempted to look on inside to try and fix but it cannot see my monitor or my hard drive. Did I mess up something or did mess uo a certain part? It seems like things are screwing up on me. I am such [tornado fang]ing idiot.

Offline Hiryu

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #621 on: April 11, 2011, 10:54:41 PM
It could be possible that the virus has corrupted your system files. This is a grave situation.

The easiest thing to do would to wipe the hard drive and re-intsall windows. But that's only if everything else fails. It could be possible that you can save your files.

Contact HP for detailed technical support.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #622 on: April 12, 2011, 05:19:25 AM
I'll try that, I will lose some filex but at least its better than nothing.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #623 on: April 17, 2011, 05:54:06 PM
The amount of people who believe that having to reformat means the loss of files is amazing. As long as your laptop can boot from a CD, and you have a flash drive or other USB storage medium, there's a fairly easy way to go about getting your files back before reformatting the PC.

If you'd like the details, send me a PM. That is unless you've already gone ahead and wiped everything.

And yes, I do this kind of stuff for a living.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #624 on: April 17, 2011, 06:20:06 PM
I'm not sure if anyone can help me with my problem. Here's the TL:DR version:

Quote from: ViperAcidZX @ DoujinStyle
Long story short: Thanks to Norton for being a greedy s.o.b. and we refuse to play a fee to keep anti-virus protection going, a bunch of viruses and malware attacked my brother's computer and SeaGate GoFlex 1TB external hard drive. We took care of the viruses and malware on the PC, but brother's worried about the viruses still plaguing the external hard drive. That external hard drive has all of my personal belongings; doujin games, my RKS guide, music, pictures, anime, etc., and I want to be able to use it again.

If there's anyway to save it and purge the viruses on it without destroying all of our stuff in it, I'd really appreciate any possible help I can get.
Other TL:DR version: http://amethystviper.deviantart.com/journal/39873424/

I installed Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and Avast, while my brother installed AVG, which was after the fiasco. All of the viruses and malware that was in the PC was dealt with already, but my brother's worried about the infection that's in the 1TB external hard drive and I need to know if there's a way to purge any remaining viruses from it.