Computer Problem Thread

Flame · 203939

Offline vile mk4

• Robot Master
  • Muchah muchah , muchah much.. KI KIRI KI CHIIiii
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 06:12:12 PM
I have this USB Flash Drive, and  forgot to unmount it before removing it. Now, i can't see any of the files, but i know that they are still there since i have the same ammount of  free space than before the accident. How can i recover my files ?

MATA DA CAFEE, MATA DE CAFEE FEE FEEE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !! AYHOYY AYHOY TE DERETETETEEE TE TERETETETETE REE TE TEEE AYHOYY AYHOY

FEEEVEEEER ...DON DONDON DONDON.... PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PONPON pon pon ponpon PONPON PON PON ponpon pon pon PONPONPON pon pon pon PONPATAPON ponpatapon PONPONPATAPONPONPON ponponpataponponpon NOOOOS QUEDAAAAAMOOOOOSSSS uhHIUP  ** PLOP **

BOM BOM BOM bom bom bom BOM BOM BOMBOM bom bom bombom ...AH, [tornado fang] THE WOOD, I DON NEED IT, LET'S KILL DODONGA AGAIN

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 07:44:17 PM
You might want to run a chkdsk -f on the drive. After that, you'll need to set Win Explorer to view both hidden and protected system files, and most of your files will be there... Except with the wrong extensions. You'll have to figure out most of the files by size. Had that happen to me once. -_-

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 05:20:28 AM
does anyone know why my computer crashed a while ago? ;__; It was working on something, and suddenly when i clicked on a link to one of the boards on RPM, it froze up, and I couldnt do anything, I could move the mouse, but when I clicked, nothing happened... it wouldnt do anything. so I freaked out and turned the computer off from the power strip. but when I turned it back on, it wouldnt reads the hard drive and wouldnt recognize it as such.
we tried everything, including all powerfull repair programs that could kill a car if used wrong... yet NOTHING. so we eentually tried to open the hard drive, as we had nothing to lose anyway, since we couldnt repair it. but there wasnt anything wrong with the inside of the HD. to this day we dont know what happened... i think it sbecause of forcefully shutting it off while frozen, but thats just me maybe...

Posted on: November 20, 2008, 10:52:44 PM
also, does anyone know how I can obtain XP for a laptop if I ever get one? My math teacher said you can simply tell microsoft that you dont like vista you hate it, and that if you ask to be switched, theyl stitch you to XP, but at the cost that there isnt any support for it.
T/F?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 02:47:01 PM
does anyone know why my computer crashed a while ago? ;__; It was working on something, and suddenly when i clicked on a link to one of the boards on RPM, it froze up, and I couldnt do anything, I could move the mouse, but when I clicked, nothing happened... it wouldnt do anything. so I freaked out and turned the computer off from the power strip. but when I turned it back on, it wouldnt reads the hard drive and wouldnt recognize it as such.
we tried everything, including all powerfull repair programs that could kill a car if used wrong... yet NOTHING. so we eentually tried to open the hard drive, as we had nothing to lose anyway, since we couldnt repair it. but there wasnt anything wrong with the inside of the HD. to this day we dont know what happened... i think it sbecause of forcefully shutting it off while frozen, but thats just me maybe...
Your disc temporarily locked up, and you shutting it down when it was locked up was the coup de grace in killing it. Sometimes XP DOES lock up when doing stuff (happens to me when I'm watching video files on MPC) but it unlocks by itself a few seconds after. Next time, leave it alone for the next couple of minutes; if by then it hasn't unlocked itself, then try shutting it down, but only leave that as a very last resort. And don't unplug/turn off the power strip, you blithering idiot, you could have overloaded any of the other components in the machine. Press and hold the power button for a few seconds, and the machine will automatically turn off by itself.

also, does anyone know how I can obtain XP for a laptop if I ever get one? My math teacher said you can simply tell microsoft that you dont like vista you hate it, and that if you ask to be switched, theyl stitch you to XP, but at the cost that there isnt any support for it.
T/F?
Wrong. ANY installation of XP works on ANY laptop (proof: myself), you just need to find the drivers for the devices in the laptop by yourself. And no, it doesn't work that way. When you buy a laptop, you can tell the OEM (the people who sell you the machine) you'd like a downgrade; you'll have to pay a bit extra for it, but they'll remove Vista and install XP (usually either Home or Media Center). And there IS official support for XP still, just not to the same extent as there was about three or four years ago.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 05:57:30 PM
I DID try the power button, I held it for the longest time and still nothing, not even CTR + ALT + Delete worked. but that computer was a found computer anyway. my dad works in the city, in the rockefeller center are, and the big companies throw out their old PC's often. he brings em home and they worked just fine (once you put a new HD in...) so it was a found computer, with a new monitor, and a used, yrt still new HD. an 80 gig HD given to me by my neighbor... he works in verizon, and he said he had an HD that he used for something but didnt need anymore. that was it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 07:36:59 PM
In any case, regarding your XP question, ANY XP will work on ANY laptop. You just need to look for the hardware drivers of each integrated device yourself. Usually, if it's an original laptop, you can search for the drivers at the manufacturer's website. Take me, for example: my Aspire 5670 came with a 120GB HDD, which I had to replace. Since I had no way of getting the original stuff for the hardware, I just installed a pirated version of XP Pro SP2 I had laying around, and as soon as I did, I used Microsoft's app to change the serial number to the legit one that came with the machine, and just headed to Acer's website to get the drivers for all the stuff that came on the laptop (video card drivers, webcam drivers, sound drivers, multicard reader drivers, infrared drivers, bluetooth drivers, et al).

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 11:45:54 PM
My only XP question was how to obtain XP for a laptop when I buy it, since I dont like nor want Vista...

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 05:17:26 AM
You buy it just about anywhere. Any store outlets should still have some original XP licenses to sell, either Pro or Media Center. Or you can hop by Amazon or NewEgg and try over there.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 05:20:48 AM
I can't seem to get the mic working on my PC, can someone help solve this? (it has a transformers case, imo)

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 10:09:17 PM
OK, DZ you mentioned in another thread that there was a 64bit Edition of XP Media Center Edition and I went searching for it and didn't find much. What I'm wondering is whether or not this is a Microsoft only retail item, or if I'm just not searching for it right.

Also, in your opinion,what are the benefits to having Vista Ultimate over XP Media Center Edition if any?

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 01:08:20 AM
Ok so I want to have a collection of Sharingan avatars but I can't get the damn rotate script to work, so could someone who's using it please write a guide with screenshots?

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 02:35:55 AM
How do I disable viewing PNGs with Quicktime in IE?

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 02:49:18 AM
Go to Quicktime's control panel, and disable the association of PNG files with it. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't really remember how you get to the CP, not having used QT in a LOOOOOOOONG, LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 02:38:20 AM
are we experiencing problems on the site again or is it just me?

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 02:42:17 AM
site wide problems but it's gone away for now.

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 02:45:22 AM
are we experiencing problems on the site again or is it just me?

I dunno, you tel

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 03:07:54 AM
Im worried.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 05:46:26 PM
1. I have a USB gamepad. It works good (using XP's default driver), but after an hour or so, it stops working, and disappears from the list of connected devices. It will work again after unplugging it, rebooting PC (sometimes it's not necessary, though), and plugging it again. Is there anything I can do to play for more than hour?

2. Can anybody recommend me a good RSS Reader? I want something that will minimize to system tray, clear it's cache every few days, and the most important thing: will eat as little RAM as possible. I don't need any bling-bling features, just something simple and small.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 06:34:20 PM
With it connected, try heading to the Device Manager applet and uninstalling the gamepad, then unplug and plug again so it gets installed again, and see if the problem gets solved that way. If not, you'll have to search for specific replacement drivers.

As for the RSS question, I wouldn't know, I use a RSS ticker on my Firefox. :P

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 01:29:51 AM
*takes notes* I'll try that. I hope it'll work T_T

Posted on: 23 December 2008, 19:10:24
Update (sort of): After 3 hours my pad disappeared, and replugging it didn't help ("unknown device").
After further research (I don't really want to buy another pad >.>) I found that it seems to be a XP bugs + motherboard (DFI AK75-EC; VIA KT133A chipset) bugs combo, and it's quite a common problem. Some say that messing with motherboard and chipset driver can help, I'll try that tomorrow.
There's also that KB822603 update for Windows, but it doesn't want to work on SP2 :C

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: December 24, 2008, 06:34:15 AM
How good is Tangent?

Posted on: December 23, 2008, 08:08:42 PM
Hey, yknow what Happened to me one time... I was deleting stuff from my Recycle bin, and since there was so much chit there, when I clicked to delete everything, it froze up a bit. so Me, in all my impatientness, clicked it like crazy, saying DAMMNIT WORK!
and suddenly it unfroze, and I heard the sound of a whole bunch of clicks, and everything was deleted, but then a message popped up like the ones which ask you if your sure you want to delete blah blah, but this is what it said.

-are you sure you want to delete "windows"?-
and I shat bricks for a second, and clamly clicked "no" I mean, normally when you empty the bin, the "clear out bin" button fades out to grey.
I was freaked out by it for a bit. was like, hoshit, I opened a wormhole. 8D.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:44:33 AM by Flame »

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: December 28, 2008, 02:45:16 AM
Maybe I'm just going insane, but is it possible that a graphic card can be TOO good for a video and thus make the graphical output of a video look worse? I've been watching a few videos and fansubs on my new notebook and the videos look a lot worse than on my usual home computer despite the notebook having far more horsepower and a more powerful graphic card. Especially when it comes to darker colors, the images tend to bug up, creating moving squares and stuff. I checked my graphic card driver and it's up to date and also tested some other players (though Media Player Classic works just fine on my old computer), but no changes so far. It's pissing me off. The only other thing I could think of is that I missed to install some codec or whatever to make it look good again, but last I checked, CCCP was just about anything you needed for good video quality. Any suggestions on what the hell is wrong? I'll also provide a screenshot in order to show what I'm talking about.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

See all this squared stuff on the monitor/window and in the right corner? This crap didn't show up on my regular computer.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: December 28, 2008, 06:16:58 AM
It's probably due to how your video configuration is set, and how your codecs are handling the video. Make sure your color quality is set to 32bits and that your codecs are all up to date and assigned correctly.

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: December 28, 2008, 12:44:07 PM
Well, in that case I have no idea what's wrong. Color is set to 32bits, the options in Media Player Classic are both the same, as are the settings in CCCP. I don't know how or where to change stuff in order to get a clean picture again.

I might also add that even videos on YouTube, in High Quality or HD even, look worse on this notebook.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 01:03:26 AM
Well, in that case I have no idea what's wrong. Color is set to 32bits, the options in Media Player Classic are both the same, as are the settings in CCCP. I don't know how or where to change stuff in order to get a clean picture again.

I might also add that even videos on YouTube, in High Quality or HD even, look worse on this notebook.

It could be just the compatability with the graphics card and the notebook. Probably the best solution is to lower or raise the brightness or contrast.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.