Best combat system of an action game?

Da Dood · 1584

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
on: March 18, 2009, 05:01:01 AM
Just curious after two intense God Hand playthroughs.

What is the best combat system in an action or action/adventure game in your opinion, and why? What's your style?

Do you prefer simple and flashy, like God of War? Z-targeting for enemy focus and insta aiming, like Zelda 3D? Or a more tactical Devil May Cry way? VFX madness in Viewtiful Joe? Ninja Gaiden? Crazy over-the-top stylish, like God Hand and No More Heroes?

We do have plenty to choose from, which is pretty cool. :D

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:10:30 AM
I like over the top like in No More Heroes, but a fixed combat system since God Hand's is broken (seriously, during some of the arena matches, the dodge is useless, the item rate for any item is insanely low, and they REALLY should have made it so that a full tension bar is used up, not used until the original first bar is depleted, and then stops, leaving you with a chunk of tension left, and they REALLY needed to have included a way to recharge your Roulette Orbs without having to use freaking items ><). Ninja Gaiden moves well, and everything is placed where it should be, but the battle system is just messed up. Ninja Gaiden and God Hand have a habit of placing a lot (as in, a minimum of 6 hulking beasts) of enemies in front of you, each one with insane health and the ability to dodge in the blink of an eye and expect you to get through them when you can only attack one target at a time and enemies attacking you from behind. No More Heroes has it so that you have attacks that have a wide range, only stick about 3-5 enemies at a time, some requiring a bit more skill to kill while the others aren't too much of a huge threat. That is a system I like, but it need special attacks (or something somewhat more uber, like if instead of what the Roulette System does, you can only use the special attacks with a full whatever meter).

Pretty much take what's good about No More Heroes, what's good about God Hand, mix the two together, and tweak it so that the game is hard, but allows the use of an ace up your sleeve to get you out of the rock hard moments, and that to me is the very definition of a perfect game.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:30 AM
Stick me with DMC-style combat, maybe mixed with a bit of environmental help like in the Prince of Persia Sands of Time Trilogy.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:29:45 PM
The ultimate combat system in my opinion would be a mixture of Devil May Cry 3's and Zelda's (primarily the Wind Waker's/Twilight Princess).

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:42:38 PM
Everybody knows that fighting games like Street Fighter, KoF and Guilty Gear have the best combat system. Because the focus lies entirely on fighting.

Bring a action game with a combat system like that and you have a fantastic game.

So far, DMC is still the best.

DMC1 had the most awkward controls.
DMC2 was slower than turd.
DMC3 pretty much got it right.
DMC4 solidified the system of DMC3.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:10:04 PM
The thing about fighting game systems is what Ballade was implying when he talked about God Hand. They work very well when you're fighing one enemy, but action games tend to put you against dozens at the same time.

I personally don't have a problem with God Hand's system, I think it's addictive and satisfying, and the unfairness problem has more to do with enemy aggression than mechanics in my opinion. If groups of enemies didn't run after Gene with rubberbands or if they waited a few seconds to attack your back, then there would be no issue. I agree that Roulette Orbs should be more frequent though. Perhaps giving us 7 or 8 of them?

The system itself is absolutely brilliant, with customized combos, and tactical attributes, intuitive dodging and the whole in-your-face element where you have to pay insane attention to your actions and enemies' while being two inches away.

But yeah, DMC's is just gorgeous. DMC3's is the best, but I still prefer DMC1's enemy-based approach.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:26:31 PM
Virtual On: Oratonio Tangram in the Arcade had the best combat system ever for 1-on-1 Mech Battles.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:13:27 AM
While I LOVES myself some God Hand, I still think that the best overall engine for a Brawler would have to go to Streets of Rage. One of the classics in the genre, and in my personal opinion, still one of the best (especially part 2). It was just really well made, and gave you so much in the way of attack options.

Second up would be Sengoku 3/2001 for the Neo Geo, made by Noise (also made Matrimelee and are making its upcoming sequel). Again, options in the form of various attacks and commands that available, are the stuff of variety. You even have access to juggles! It's a shame that this title never got a console port for whatever reason, but I would highly recommend any and all who love themselves a 2D-style brawler to go track this game down. 

Then there's Double Dragon Advance and River City Ransom EX. Updates to two of Technos Japan's greatest games, and both, individually, do more to take the greatest aspects of each individual series, to make for one grandiose product. Lots of options, and ways to play in each. I would just consider it nothing short of miraculous that Million was able to get so much out of using (still!) just TWO buttons for the sake of RCREX.

Finally, there's Viewtiful Joe. (8D yeah, I know, but here me out!). Merging the time-honored solid gameplay of 2D brawlers past, with the combo and score attack-heavy emphasis of modern day games, VJ is what I still consider to be one of the best, and balanced experiences to be had with "modern" brawlers. It's merely a pity that we may never get that third game that Inaba-sama promised and intended...  ;O;