Jericho · 7243

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 07:19:08 AM
Let the gamers decide. >U<

LoL, let SOME gamers decide.  Other's simply like to start console wars.

As far as the Wii over the PS2 is concerned, really, only time will tell.  What originally made the PS2 sell was that it was the cheapest DVD player available, and a lot of people got it for that reason.  IIRC, after a good year or so, that's when all the games really started coming out for it..  I just remember during the first 6-8 months of it being out, I recommended people get a Dreamcast over a PS2, cause I thought it was a better system.  LoL, I still do!

So back then, the PS2 was the hottest console to get, and game developers started really supporting it.  LoL, I think.  I'm no expert.  Anyway, now the Wii is the hottest console to get, and I think that it'll only get more and more support in the coming years.  I mean, games like Madworld and The Conduit are starting to appear.  They may not be games for everybody, but I'm sure a good portion of people out there will like them.  I know I probably will.  Plus, like with the DS, I see a lot of potential with it, even though the DS was kinda on the back burner until Nintendogs. 

Will it surpass the PS2?  Again, only time will tell.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:10 AM
PB, that's pretty much the way I thought of the whole thing, hence my second response in this thread:

Dunno really as it's still moving units worldwide. What I'm more interested in is the idea that the PS2 had one year where it suddenly became "THE" system to everyone with a tremendous turnout of games. If the Wii is truly in the same situation, I'd just like a glimpse inside the candy box to know what kinds of games we can expect.

But yeah, surpassing the PS2 is really a long term goal more than it is a "we'll do it in less time" goal.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 08:01:46 AM
As far as the Wii over the PS2 is concerned, really, only time will tell.  What originally made the PS2 sell was that it was the cheapest DVD player available, and a lot of people got it for that reason. 

There's that, but there's also the OTHER reason, that Sony may or may not want to acknowledge as something that helped bolster their sales records:

Sony's hardware has never prided on being all that lasting and durable. For example, it's rare that you'll find some one with a 1st Generation PS2 that they got at launch, way back in the day, because they probably have had to LONG since replace that unit. Possibly twice (or more!) over, if they're really unlucky, careless or just had random DRE-related episodes that would never go away.  8D

So, it'd be interesting, if we were able to break down those sales of units over the PS2 hardware's lifetime, and at least see how many of those units were ones that were purchased because they were replacements to units that had been "retired" [/Zero series terminology]. After all, such a thing only works more to Sony's benefit, by virtue of ye olde business model of "planned obsolescence". 

That said, because Nintendo's products, usually, have a much higher record of being more "durable", it's unlikely that they'll be able to match the PS2's sales records any time soon. What reason will there be to move more units, if the ones that most people have, still work fine, after all?  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 08:09:43 AM
Sony's hardware has never prided on being all that lasting and durable. For example, it's rare that you'll find some one with a 1st Generation PS2 that they got at launch, way back in the day, because they probably have had to LONG since replace that unit. Possibly twice (or more!) over, if they're really unlucky, careless or just had random DRE-related episodes that would never go away.  8D

Ahhh yes, I remember many a DVD returned with the perfect ring scratch on it.  XD

Also, my friend still has his original in perfect working order!   8)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 08:33:44 AM
Also, my friend still has his original in perfect working order!   8)

He must have the devil's luck when it comes to keeping that thing in pristine order. I consider myself a guy who takes care of his stuff, and even my first PS2 eventually bit it, in spite of my best efforts (including not using it like a DVD player too much, as I've heard that shortens a PS2's lifespan). 

I'm on my second one (a SlimJim) since 06. Hopefully that will last me for a while, cuz I still don't like how some games look upscaled on my PS3.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 08:34:33 AM
He must have the devil's luck when it comes to keeping that thing in pristine order. I consider myself a guy who takes care of his stuff, and even my first PS2 eventually bit it, in spite of my best efforts (including not using it like a DVD player too much, as I've heard that shortens a PS2's lifespan). 

I'm on my second one (a SlimJim) since 06. Hopefully that will last me for a while, cuz I still don't like how some games look upscaled on my PS3.

Actually, it's quite dusty!  XD

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 09:44:19 AM
damn...i'm always getting to these threads slow...

well I still have the slimjim ps2 and it's serving me well.  So is my dreamcast, my snes (I never had the snes replaced<3 the one from that Mario All Stars+Mario World cartridge bundle), my gba sp is still swell and I finally got the earphone adapter thanks to Ebay(leave me be, I want my sounds in a long bus ride, aside from CD players...)~

Well, whatever the case, aside looking forward to gameplay videos of Sin and Punishment 2 and other games I can't think of now.  Nintendo better please me well in the upcoming E3, that's all~

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 12:25:04 PM
Thread in a nutshell in terms of f/sn

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 06:04:34 PM
(including not using it like a DVD player too much, as I've heard that shortens a PS2's lifespan)
I really hope that's not true of the Slim, or I'm screwed.  >.> (hey, my standalone player sucks)

Toppling the PS2, one hell of a goal.  Despite my inner fanboy I'm rather pessimistic, and it's not just the dryspell.  There's one other thing that severely damaged my confidence in Nintendo's development: Mario Kart Wii.

That game's AI is a complete nightmare (this coming from someone who enjoyed Double Dash), the unlock conditions are extremely unrealistic, and the cut-down multiplayer options add insult to injury.  The game is, to its credit, by far the best Wi-Fi setup that Nintendo has ever established.  But offline, it's pretty lousy.  The fact that Nintendo tried to pass that as a killer app bothers me.  Add in Wii Music and Animal Crossing at the end of '08, and Nintendo did a lot of damage to their reputation.  I'm hoping this was an isolated incident, but we'll see.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 06:50:10 PM
Relevant, I still have plenty 'o consoles working, just that they are collecting dust due to lack of use. On topic..

The Wii may be able to topple the PS2 if hell ever froze over. I'm putting my money on that. Also: I did enjoy using my Dreamcast as a CD raido at one point.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 12:10:20 AM
I really hope that's not true of the Slim, or I'm screwed.  >.> (hey, my standalone player sucks)

Heh, I'm taking chances myself, since I've modded my slimjim in order to play imports (tape n tissue FTW!  8D)

Again, so far so good. In fact, it's looking like I may have to eventually get another SwapDisk, while my PS2 still lives.

There's one other thing that severely damaged my confidence in Nintendo's development: Mario Kart Wii.

That game's AI is a complete nightmare (this coming from someone who enjoyed Double Dash), the unlock conditions are extremely unrealistic, and the cut-down multiplayer options add insult to injury.  The game is, to its credit, by far the best Wi-Fi setup that Nintendo has ever established.  But offline, it's pretty lousy.  The fact that Nintendo tried to pass that as a killer app bothers me.  Add in Wii Music and Animal Crossing at the end of '08, and Nintendo did a lot of damage to their reputation.  I'm hoping this was an isolated incident, but we'll see.

One way of examining this, is to look at it the same way as what happened over the DS's lifetime, especially those early years.

Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to see that there's a lot that the Early DS sear have a lot with the first 2 years of the Wii. "Killer apps" were rather spaced out, "Casual" games were dominating the shelves, and the 3rd parties had yet to really come out & show what they were made of.

My thinking is, Iwata is a smart business man, and he's basically doing the same thing all over again, with the Wii. The first two years were meant to do more to get the Casual Gamer money, because that's what really gives them a license to print money (as was the case with the DS). Now that he's got Casual Gamers eating out of the palm of Nintendo's hands (once again), now it may come to thing of where, Nintendo is willing to do more to deliver on their end, while more 3rd parties will be eager to try and do their damnedest to get in on that.

Far as I'm concerned, that's exactly what's going on. We could stand to have a number of more additional "megatons" unveiled over the next few months and up to E3, while we already know that such things like Dragon Quest X and Monster Hunter Tri are in the pipeline. And reportedly, Iwata is just as interested in marketing these Japanese favorites in the West as each individual developer is. And if those "cash cow" franchises really deliver on the Wii, that will only give the likes of Square Enix and Capcom more reason to support the console (with hopefully more goods than just sequels to those cash cows and others, like Sengoku BASARA and Rockman for Capcom and more FF/DQ spin-offs from SE). Then there's Sega, who's pretty much already amped up their Wii-related gameplans, by starting with the likes of MadWorld, and we could stand to see more where that came from.

So yeah...in short, there's a good deal of evidence that this could stand to be the year that Wii owners will come to really love their console (again), non-believers may become believers and all that good stuff.

Again, though....I don't see the Wii moving more consoles just yet. Not until we start seeing more "deluxe consoles" unveiled, or maybe a good price drop. A special edition Wii, for the sake of something like DQX and/or MH Tri would definitely move more units, at least in Japan, certainly... 

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 12:19:17 AM
Ben, reading your comment made me think that Nintendo made all these low budget games (cause that's what they are, don't lie to yourself. There are exceptions though) just to secure their survival. And now that they've gathered enough financial power to take risks again they may actually turn the Wii into a gaming behemoth. Wiihemoth if you like.

I remain optimistic.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 01:46:54 AM
Like I said, there's one that's undeniable: Iwata is a marketing genius. He made it so that all these "Casual" games were the stuff that the Casual demographic couldn't get enough of. They are what gave Ninty a license to print money on the Wii and DS alike. Now they are, as the Penny Arcade comic put it bluntly "rich as [tornado fang]." 8D They've not only insured their survival, they got money to burn now.

Now, let's just hope that I and others who think as I do are right, in the notion that now Ninty will USE that money in order to give us the goods.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 03:57:21 AM
You know, I thought the Wii's sales were better in the U.S.

Iwata, you want to sell 30 million Wiis? You really will have to have some kind of insane list of titles if Brawl didn't even get you that far.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 04:38:07 AM
Thread in a nutshell in terms of f/sn

[spoiler][/spoiler]
I like how you think.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 06:52:06 AM
Like I said, there's one that's undeniable: Iwata is a marketing genius. He made it so that all these "Casual" games were the stuff that the Casual demographic couldn't get enough of. They are what gave Ninty a license to print money on the Wii and DS alike. Now they are, as the Penny Arcade comic put it bluntly "rich as [tornado fang]." 8D They've not only insured their survival, they got money to burn now.

Now, let's just hope that I and others who think as I do are right, in the notion that now Ninty will USE that money in order to give us the goods.

That's my hope, pretty much!  XD

Offline vile mk4

• Robot Master
  • Muchah muchah , muchah much.. KI KIRI KI CHIIiii
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 04:55:21 PM
The Wii will surprass the PS2 ?
Yes, eventually.

...in just a year ?
Mr. Iwata is smoking some of those purple mushrooms that grow in Miyamoto's garden. Godammit nintendo, overconfidence was your downfall back in the n64 era, overconfidence was Sony's big mistake with the PS3.

MATA DA CAFEE, MATA DE CAFEE FEE FEEE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !! AYHOYY AYHOY TE DERETETETEEE TE TERETETETETE REE TE TEEE AYHOYY AYHOY

FEEEVEEEER ...DON DONDON DONDON.... PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PONPON pon pon ponpon PONPON PON PON ponpon pon pon PONPONPON pon pon pon PONPATAPON ponpatapon PONPONPATAPONPONPON ponponpataponponpon NOOOOS QUEDAAAAAMOOOOOSSSS uhHIUP  ** PLOP **

BOM BOM BOM bom bom bom BOM BOM BOMBOM bom bom bombom ...AH, [tornado fang] THE WOOD, I DON NEED IT, LET'S KILL DODONGA AGAIN

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 05:00:35 PM
The Wii will surprass the PS2 ?
Yes, eventually.

...in just a year ?

Mr. Iwata is smoking some of those purple mushrooms that grow in Miyamoto's garden. Godammit nintendo, overconfidence was your downfall back in the n64 era, overconfidence was Sony's big mistake with the PS3.

Everybody who posts this and thinks along this thought train really needs to re-read the article I linked to. He said he wants it to happen in the future, not right away.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 05:04:57 PM
Anyone have a bench mark to compare where the PS2 was just passed its second year of sales?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 05:20:22 PM
I guess I could search for and grab a few past NPD results from NeoGAF, but really, that won't be a terribly good starting place. I wish if I could find the software sales lists from release to that point though, that'd be a good way to find out whether or not the Wii is similar to the "god of console libraries'" early years, something that I've always suspected it was.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 12:12:54 AM
Heh, I'm taking chances myself, since I've modded my slimjim in order to play imports (tape n tissue FTW!  8D)
I installed a proper flip-top for that reason.  Gotta have my Namco X Capcom fix. 8)

One way of examining this, is to look at it the same way as what happened over the DS's lifetime, especially those early years.

Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to see that there's a lot that the Early DS sear have a lot with the first 2 years of the Wii. "Killer apps" were rather spaced out, "Casual" games were dominating the shelves, and the 3rd parties had yet to really come out & show what they were made of.
The casual market isn't what's scaring me, the lack of effort is.  Most any established franchise that hit the DS was a decent effort.  Star Fox and Yoshi's Island were probably the weakest, but even they were passable.  Mario Kart Wii, however, is absolutely disgraceful when it's played offline.

I'm mainly referring to Nintendo's own efforts and not their third party support.  I don't care that Wii Music is a casual title, anyone who knows my affinity with the Rabbids knows that minigame collections don't scare me.  What bothers me is that it was, from what I've heard, a lazy development effort.  As was Animal Crossing.

I'm hardly abandoning the console or anything.  Yes, DS started with a big dry spell (I didn't much care because FREAKING YOSHI IN SUPER MARIO 64 kept me occupied), it came back.  Kinda sank back in it with the Wii in '08, if you ask me.  But I'm chomping at the bit for both Wii's Punch-Out!! and DS's Fire Emblem like you wouldn't believe.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 05:29:13 AM
http://venturebeat.com/2009/01/19/wii-is-on-track-to-outsell-playstation-2-while-ps-3-is-on-par-with-gamecube-sales/

This help with the 2-year comparison?

Sure didn't help at GAF. They're not getting that this is as much a quantitative measure as it is qualitative, and lemme tell ya,

Their butts are HURTING from my lightly cautioning Nintendo.