The Official Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver Discussion Thread

Jericho · 418586

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
You clearly do not understand my question.  I am not asking what the difference between them is or why one is better than the other.  I am asking what that has to do with the discussion.  Because never, anywhere, did I suggest eliminating Outrage in favor of Superpower, only a fool would do so on a Dragon.  What I said was that it was an excellent choice to round out offensive options in addition to Outrage.  So argument for using Outrage over Superpower are completely irrelevant.
White Herb mean anything to you?

I was talking about the differences between Salamence and Dragonite, like I did in the first place. Thanks to Plat., Salamence learned Outrage to go along with Dragon Dance, which was Dragonite's shtick, while Dragonite got Superpower to compensate. Dragonite with Superpower and Outrage is just fine, but since Salamence can use Outrage just as well and uses it better than Dragonite, as well as Salamence having access to two attacks that hit the same types as Superpower as well as others, it boils down to Salamence being better than Dragonite, even when taking Superpower into account.

As for White Herb, you honestly think that it's useful? Choice Band is a better choice because when you switch, your attack goes back to normal and Choice Band re-activates. Not to mention it actually makes the first Superpower stronger. White Herb gets used once and it's gone, and it's applied whenever ANY stat drops, so if you get hit by any stat-reducing attack, White Herb goes away.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
I remember seeing Hypershell saying using Salamence or Dragonite is a personal choice, so let's stop the comparing, ok?

Am I the only living being that actually liked generation 3?
No. Emerald is my most cleared game in all the series.
That has to say something... -_-

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
As for White Herb, you honestly think that it's useful? Choice Band is a better choice because when you switch, your attack goes back to normal and Choice Band re-activates.

You don't always have the chance to switch, bro. Especially if you're losing 25% of your health every time you come in.

Offline SoulAnimal

• PB's Fangirl
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Protoman? :3
    • View Profile
Hey ppl who have plat/daimond/pearl , my boyfriends dad works as a machine part seller for some company ( i dont know what company , cause i dont care ), and they just went to japan for a week for a meeting , and he gave me like 4 Pikachu colored Pichus, anyone want one? ( i'd love to get something better then like a level 4 and 3 in return  8D )

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
I was talking about the differences between Salamence and Dragonite, like I did in the first place.
Discussing the advantages of Outrage over Superpower is not a difference; both Pokemon have Outrage.  That line of discussion remains pointless.

as well as Salamence having access to two attacks that hit the same types as Superpower as well as others
Brick Break and Rock Smash?  Their power can't compare.  Believe me, I used Brick Break all the time prior to Platinum, and the extra 45 attack strength can make a lot of difference.

As for White Herb, you honestly think that it's useful? Choice Band is a better choice because when you switch, your attack goes back to normal and Choice Band re-activates. Not to mention it actually makes the first Superpower stronger. White Herb gets used once and it's gone, and it's applied whenever ANY stat drops, so if you get hit by any stat-reducing attack, White Herb goes away.
Choice Band leaves less flexibility given that there's a big "if" on whether or not you get the chance to switch.  It also eliminates the option of using Dragon Dance, as well as switching attack types should the opponent bring in a Fighting-resist, and it leaves Superpower's Defense penalty untouched.  The use when any stat drops is hardly a negative, either, given how many Pokemon depend on Intimidate to scare off physical attackers.

Once again, each has strengths to specific situations, and which is better depends on how you intend to use them, not to mention what your opponent intends to do about it.  Kindly stop trying to pass your personal trends as encompassing the entire game.

I don't even use White Herb, BTW, I was merely presenting it as doing for Superpower what Lum Berry does for Outrage, since you brought it up as if there was no such equivalent.  I prefer to use other items that I feel compliment Dragonite much better, and just take the risk of the Superpower penalty, since it is an auxiliary attack and not a main attack.

Posted on: July 01, 2009, 05:55:18 PM
No. Emerald is my most cleared game in all the series.
That has to say something... -_-
I had Emerald ALMOST cleared, and left it at that.  The ludicrously high-leveled Victory Road wilds got on my nerves.  Really ought to get back on that sometime, the VR theme is cool after all.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
For me, only the Silver Medals for the Battle Palace and Battle Tower remained...
I've even cleared all the Contests, and have my Pokemon portraits in the Lilycove Museum.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Really, and I mean REALLY shitty quality trailer.

Lugia looks awesome in 3D though. <3

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
IT IS THE [parasitic bomb] YO.

And yeah, Lugia does look awesome, Ho-Oh as well.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgss/special/movie.html

Clearer trailer covering 3D Ho-Oh and Lugia.  Also has the pedometer and Arceus.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
With that... Man...
Gyms looked revamped, Chiko doing Cut, and Tyranitar Rock Smashing...
Seriously looking great.

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile
 0v0 Best Pokemon Game , ever!

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
It always was...but now it´s even better!

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile
Pokemon Sunday 05/07/09 "Official Boxart And Poke Walker "

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geSGiSFOD0w[/youtube]

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
0v0 Best Pokemon Game , ever!

Give me the old EV System and I am in.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
But the old EV system was terrible.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I believe he means IVs.  0-15 (old) as opposed to 0-31 (new).
(EVs are your invisible stats benefiting from vitamins, Macho Brace, Power whatever, and actual battles; that hasn't changed)

Not going to happen so long as compatibility with current games is being maintained.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
I believe he means IVs.  0-15 (old) as opposed to 0-31 (new).

I actually meant the old Effort Value System, in which you could maximise all of the 6 stats. In the 3rd Generation and after it, you can only maximaze 2 of 6 stats. I kept playing Pokemon only to raise pokemon with the best IV´s and maximised EV´s. The new abilities and attacks in the following editions after Crystal are awesome, but without possibility to maximise them, my interrest to the new games declines.
It was GSC which made me to a power gamer, that is why I love it so much.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Huh, well, I learned something new.  The EV system is nowhere near in 1st and 2nd gen what it is in 3rd and 4th gen.  You get "stat experience" which is equivalent to the Base stats of the 'man you defeated, capping at 65535 each stat (vitamins give 2560 each use but will not raise beyond 25600).  And, as you said, no cap on the combined total.

......damn.  You know, you're right, we DO need the old system back.  That way your starter wouldn't be completely F*@#!ED for multiplayer battles.

But it's still not going to happen without another generation cutoff.  Most games these days are specifically coded to either "correct" or not recognize Pokemon that max-EVed all stats, in order to combat hackers, so even programming new games to "translate" stats to the old EV system during linkups wouldn't work.  At least not on PBR, I'm sure.  But then an excuse to make a new console game might not be a bad thing.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
We need the old Effort Value System back, definitly. The old EV System made pokemon battles more exciting and longer, since your and the opponent's pokemon are equally strong and durable.
The new system makes the battles to fast and more luck based.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
You guys must [tornado fang]ing love grinding.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Grinding? I used Depo store steroids goods on the little turds to make them well enough so I can have a fighting fit team in multiplayer with balanced stats when grinding ain't good enough. Yes, I am a strategist on these types of games, not a grinder.

And who remembers the Puzzle Leauge GB port? I think they really need to bring it back, it has potential enough for tense WiFi free-for-alls.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
But vitamins won't get you even half of the way to max EVs. :/

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Yeah, so? it helps when you're balancing out your team. I just happen to be one of those players who like balancing thier team out~

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
New HG/SS commercial aired before a special premiere for the Arceus movie.

Info:
Quote from: PokéBeach
Before the movie started a new HeartGold and SoulSilver commercial played, which I imagine will not air for another few weeks. A 3D Entei appears, followed by Raikou, and then Suicune. We see Ho-Oh and Lugia posing, and then some game footage. Most of it has already been seen, but there is some sort of footage involving a race with laps being counted. I have no idea what it was, so it's probably something completely new in the games. The male character is also shown riding a Pokemon in the Lake of Rage. He encounters the red Gyarados while doing so.

Also:
Quote from: PokéBeach
After the movie aired, a teaser for the 13th movie played. Lugia and Ho-Oh are seen fighting each other. Lugia fires some Aeroblasts while Ho-Oh uses what appears to be Sacred Fire. This does not mean for sure that the two will actually be fighting in the movie. It's just a teaser trailer.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
You guys must [tornado fang]ing love grinding.
Not really, but that's just it, the advantage of the old system would be that you don't have to be particular about your grinding.  You can just trash the Elite Four over and over, or whatever, and get your 'mans the strongest they can be.  At current EV training is a pain, because the wrong EVs can mess you up.  You have to look up on Serebii or whatever what specific Pokemon give you the EVs you're looking for, and fight ONLY them, making any Pokemon you used while actually clearing the adventure screwed over.