Gaming and Movies: A relationship eternally doomed to fail?

Shiki Tohno · 8231

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
As we all know, most live-action movies developed based on an existing videogame franchise tend to, almost without a single fail, tank horribly.

Common, household samples: ANYTHING by that Uwe Boll [dark hold], the Mortal Kombat movies, the Street Fighter movies (although the first could be argued to be So Bad, It's Good), Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (arguably, albeit it wasn't entirely live-action).

Lately, a new movie has had me on tenterhooks about how horribly Hollywood is gonna [tornado fang] up one of my favorite gaming franchises, the epically awesome Prince Of Persia series.

First mistake: Casting Jake Gyllenhaal as the Prince. Second mistake: NAMING the Prince.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUnoO17ZJgM&fmt=18[/youtube]

Considering the producers have already said this is based in the Sands of Time trilogy, this looks and feels so absurd, it hurts.

Comments and insight? Let this thread be a central hub to discuss videogame-based movies, FOCUSING ON THE VIDEOGAME PART. We already do have a General Entertainment board, but that's for focusing on the movies as movies, not on their gaming origins.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:37:07 PM
MARIO BROS. THE MOVIE WAS AWESOME

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:38:28 PM
The Mario Bros movie, so horribly bad, it's just silly. Remember in the end when King Koopa litterally became a T-Rex? That was silly. They could have at least added a warp pipe scene that's for sure.  '>.>

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:38:45 PM
One of the problems I see when they make video game movies is that they're just flat out taking the wrong material to work with from the base games. Not to say that they should be exactly alike, mind you, but they certainly tend to wander off into areas they really shouldn't.

Also, the premise for the PoP movie hurts my brain.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:41:54 PM
Well, a Kingdom Hearts movie can't hurt, as long as they are made by Disney, and it's animated which is based off the manga. :P

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:43:20 PM
It's because video game storytelling, for the most part, does NOT work for movies. 

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:05:27 PM
And it's related to the Sands of Time trilogy.....how? I mean, the first game (in the trilogy) starts out with the Prince causing the [parasitic bomb] to hit the fan, he's ALREADY the [tornado fang]ing Prince. He also has no damn name, why don't they just call him [tornado fang]ing Prince and let THAT be his name. Hell, I know a couple people that thought that actually WAS his name and not just something he was called aside from it being his title. What, does the actual Prince own his own name and he [tornado fang]ing trade marked it? Would they owe him royalties for using his name? Did he do it simply for the [tornado fang]ing irony?

I wouldn't mind if they said that the game was to LOOK like the PoP games and they called it that. The game series has like three different lines and each one is different. The original wasn't about an actual prince, but some guy who fell in love with a princess. The sands of time trilogy had an actual prince who managed to get some sort of demonic side from something happening involving the sands of time (I'll admit, I have no clue, I never had a chance to play the games, but I know something happened). The latest series has something different going on and I haven't gotten far enough into it to find out if the guy is an actual Prince or what. As far as continuity goes, when you name a movie after a game and you decide to send it to hell straight from the start, you're not actually going along with what the hell you're talking about. I can understand that they'd have to make SOME changes, there really isn't anyway to convey the fact that the PoP games are just as much action as they are parkour, so sort of nixing certain elements can only help in a movie sense just because of the fact that you don't have a grip on the movie, but you do the games.

As for movie and games, I really think it needs to stop. First, Hollywood has had enough time coming up with unoriginal [parasitic bomb]. I mean seriously, how many movies have come out in the past several years that had an original story and weren't based on a book, game, comic, or short story. Odds are you aren't going to recall a whole lot. Second, how many of them turn out well? From what I've heard, the best game movie was the Tomb Raider movies, and if no one liked those, then that must say something about the rest of them. Lastly, we're all [tornado fang]ing tired of having some beloved series torn to shreds because some [dark hold] in Hollywood decided they wanted to make a quick buck by slapping the name of the series on a movie.

I think (at least for me anyways) that a lot of people hate and complain about this [parasitic bomb] not because it'll ruin the series, but the fact that rather than try to make an idea original, it's the very fact that others are using what we love just to appeal to us and make money simply by saying "hey, here's the movie you always wanted" and then hoping that the people who don't give two shits about the series will go "hey, that looks mighty interesting" and then go see it just so they can pool together more money that way. No, the series isn't going to turn to [parasitic bomb] because of a movie or some horrible sequel, but it's what they're wanting to DO with it, and that's make a quick buck. It's something that you love being turned into someone else's cash cow because they don't want to show actual effort in creating something based on it.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:37:31 PM
Yo. Nice rant. I liked Tomb Raider 1 actually. Now, for that Kingdom Hearts OVA..

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 12:48:27 AM
MARIO BROS. THE MOVIE WAS AWESOME

My friends still question why I bought the DVD, but that ^ is my response.  8D

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:05:32 AM
how has no one linked to the King of Fighters movie synopsis yet?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 12:10:26 PM
And it's related to the Sands of Time trilogy.....how?

I wouldn't mind if they said that the game was to LOOK like the PoP games and they called it that.
This seems to pretty much sum it up. The graphic novel was something completely new too, yet apparently influenced by the games.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:31 PM
Hmm, isn't the Silent Hill movie supposed to be kinda decent? Maybe that's as clos as we'll ever get to a good videogame movie  :\

how has no one linked to the King of Fighters movie synopsis yet?

Thanks for reminding me how they are horribly raping my favorite videogame series. The behind the scenes videos do not help at all >_>

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 04:58:26 PM
Hmm, isn't the Silent Hill movie supposed to be kinda decent? Maybe that's as clos as we'll ever get to a good videogame movie  :\

Maybe because it's a B-Rated horror flick, which america seems to praise and continously make (talking about Drag me To hell, and stuff like that)? :/

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 06:33:55 PM
Why can't they make quality movies based off of games? I am not sure of any specific reason of why or how they they can't come up with quality movies off games. I will take a stab in the dark and say that Hollywood doesn't games to seriously for the reason that they are games and that only children or nerds play games but I digress even if Mario Bros. or DOA isn't going win any Emmy Awards, it is still fun to watch and I can watch anytime. another theory would be that while they want to create a movie based off a game, it may not be the director's own fault as not all the game elements will translate into a movie but still, the [parasitic bomb] they toss at us is no excuse for not creating a good quality movie with actors who actually they the movie seriously enough to give a spectactcular performance.

Forgive me if I am really writing corherently enough to be considered a rant but I just wish that Hollywood would treat this with some seriously enough so that they can create a decent adaptation. I am tired of them just creating the film only for a quick buck and not because they genuinely enjoy creating the film. I am not saying that movies are blockbusters but they should try to make some effort with or try something new to the storyline instead of tried-and-true methods to tell a story. I don't believe gaming and anime movie adaptations are going to fair to well in future until someone takes this with some seriousness and give me quality. I am not asking for much just a good quality movie with an impressive story and equally impressive characters.

If DBE, Speed Racer or this Prince or Persia is the best they can give us, I fear for the Death Note, Eva or Akira adaptations from Hollywood or any foreign movie Americanized by Hollywood.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 06:53:33 PM
Why can't they make quality movies based off of games? I am not sure of any specific reason of why or how they they can't come up with quality movies off games. I will take a stab in the dark and say that Hollywood doesn't games to seriously for the reason that they are games and that only children or nerds play games but I digress even if Mario Bros. or DOA isn't going win any Emmy Awards, it is still fun to watch and I can watch anytime.

As I said, it's because games do not have the type of storytelling that works for movies.  Hell some have NO storytelling at all, so they are left to create their own twisted version, which either works (Mortal Kombat) or doesn't work (Street Fighter: The Movie). Not to mention, that if the rare, RARE game that does have movie-type storytelling (like Metal Gear from what I hear) exists, what's the point in making it a movie?  It practically already is one, and one that you can play.  Why make a live-action version of a story you've already played?  I'm not saying they won't do this mind you, but there's little point.

You have to realize that game storytelling is, for the most part, not done well, and the fans probably care much more about it that the actual people writing the games.  There are exceptions to this, but for the most part, it holds true.  The Video Game movie market simply caters ONLY to us.  They know that most likely, we're going to see it, no matter what.  So why bother trying?  If they can put out [parasitic bomb], and it sells, then there's NO reason for them to try and make quality stuff.

If DBE, Speed Racer or this Prince or Persia is the best they can give us, I fear for the Death Note, Eva or Akira adaptations from Hollywood or any foreign movie Americanized by Hollywood.

Um, cept for PoP, that's anime.  Anime is also a different type of storytelling, and one that probably should never be attempted to be told by Hollywood.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 09:29:53 PM
I'm not saying they won't do this mind you, but there's little point.

Do not doubt the power of a hungry pocket wanting to feed on the flesh of poor, innocent dollar bills.

Offline Emiri Landeel

• M i s s i n g   i n   a c t i o n
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Put your faith in me and I'll show ya.
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 08:54:07 AM
At least Castlevania the movie has been put on hold.
Mankind ill need a savior such as that! B(

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 09:49:40 AM
The only decent VG-based film in my eyes was Advent Children, and possibly RE: Degeneration.

Both of which were done with CGI and by the companies who invented the franchises in the first place.

If they EVER announce a live-action Guilty Gear or Legend of Dragoon movie, I'm blowing up Hollywood.

(Oh, and slightly off topic. They've announced a live-action Full Metal Panic film. With Zac Efron lined up to play Sosuke.)

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 06:12:33 PM
The only decent VG-based film in my eyes was Advent Children, and possibly RE: Degeneration.

Both of which were done with CGI and by the companies who invented the franchises in the first place.

If they EVER announce a live-action Guilty Gear or Legend of Dragoon movie, I'm blowing up Hollywood.

(Oh, and slightly off topic. They've announced a live-action Full Metal Panic film. With Zac Efron lined up to play Sosuke.)

DDAANANNANABANAANANA. You know Advent Children is CGI Anime dubbed from japan, right? It's why is epic. it's the same with RE: Degeneration, which is a CGI origin movie. Plus RE has been in the movie business for awhile, of course the movie series had improved over it's course.

Also: Fumofu > Reg. Panic.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 07:24:48 PM

i think it's officially dead now.

which means it'll be resurrected in 100 years.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:56 PM
You know Advent Children is CGI Anime dubbed from japan, right? It's why is epic.

It's impossible to be an anime and bad, huh?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:31 PM
Mankind ill need a savior such as that! B(
Well, at least they tried to get the guy who did the music for the games, for the movie soundtrack.
I would've liked to see how it turned out...
I guess there's always Van Helsing. That's pretty much Castlevania:the movie, although without whips.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 09:32:09 PM
Plus RE has been in the movie business for awhile, of course the movie series had improved over it's course.

I'mma hafta disagree with you there. IMO, the live-action Resi films actually got WORSE as they progressed because of the increasing number of superpowers given to Mary Sue Failed Wesker Knockoff Convenient Plot Device Failed Fanservice Alice

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline SoulAnimal

• PB's Fangirl
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Protoman? :3
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:45:34 AM
Atleast capcom didnt make  :  MegaMan 10 the movie  owob

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 01:59:46 AM
MegaMan 10 = MegaMan X

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~