Future Possibility of a PS3/360 Guilty Gear Release

Mega Greasy Houdini Tek 54321 · 2802

Offline Mega Greasy Houdini Tek 54321

• B-Class Hunter
  • BOOYAKASHA!!!
    • View Profile
on: December 31, 2009, 09:08:43 PM
It is imperative you click the link... There may be a possible crossover too. [eyebrow]

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2122/next-gen-guilty-gear-in-the-works

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 08:52:00 AM
I dunno.

At this rate, it's safe to presume that BB is now the flagship 2D fighter franchise. Guilty Gear, which Ishikawa has always wanted to do more with the series beyond the fighting game scope, is probably more prone to become something weird like "Overture" again, at this rate. Especially since the rights situation with Sega still exists, as far as I know.

But, we shall see... 

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:29:20 PM
I am looking forward to this. I hope it's a sprite based fighter again. With beautiful HD sprites twice as big as the stuff in BlazBlue.

Maybe add four new characters (again)?

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:49:01 AM
Wait, what? what happened to BlazBlue? Sheesh.  :o

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:24 AM
Wait, what? what happened to BlazBlue? Sheesh.  :o

Again, I wouldn't worry so much. BB is the new "flagship" franchise for ASW. That just means that ol boy Daisuke gets to the opportunity to do more with his "baby", in other facets beyond the fighting game scope that people most know it for.

But I'm thinking, the very fact that there's no arcade plans listed for this new GG game (or at least, not made evident), means it may not be something most people expect it to be. Besides, it'd be too much to ask for two 2D HD fighting games to be marketed at the same time any way, this isn't the 90s any more.

For example, I wouldn't mind a 3D Guilty Gear, in the style of a Gundam vs. Gundam fighter. That could easily be another "Overture", if they got rid of that hackneyed RTS/Dynasty Warriors-wanna be gameplay, for starters...   

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:06:31 AM
Nuh uh, Guilty Gear has to stay a 2D fighter. It's the only way it can be good.

And it's way too early for BB to be the new poster child. It just friggin came out, man. It's popular, but it's not that popular yet. It's still very niche.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:29:30 AM
Well, I wouldn't mind them to keep going on w/ 2D Fighter and 3D GG.  Mainly just so GG can keep having story progression, but i'd love a new 2D fighter GG based on after Overture (just so everyone can have a new design).

Besides, w/ the direction they did on BB's story mode.  I can imagine it'll be done more or less the same way for GG.

We'll see regardless.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:58:24 AM
Nuh uh, Guilty Gear has to stay a 2D fighter. It's the only way it can be good.

And it's way too early for BB to be the new poster child. It just friggin came out, man. It's popular, but it's not that popular yet. It's still very niche.

BB is what they've been working on for the last 5 years (at the least), while the various GGXX updates during that time were serving to give them some nice capital all the while. They're DAMN sure going to make BB the new flagship, for all that work and money they've poured into it. Expect BB to be rocking it by itself in that avenue for quite a while.

Besides, like I said, it's highly improbable to expect ASW to market two different 2D HD fighting games within the same time frame. They're not going to want to market two similar games against each other, one being even MORE niche than the other. And that's actually GG, right there. Because, for all that it's more well known, only the hardcore have the stomach for its gameplay; BB is much more "casual-friendly", for that reason.

So, really, there's only 3 ways that are probably ideal at this time. Either

a) GG goes 3D with the same 2D style game play (largely) intact. Could be possible, given Battle Fantasia proving that ASW at least is capable of such a thing. It'd be cheaper/easier to construct, and the pressure would be eased a bit on two similar games, from the same company, being marketed against one another.

b) Moar Overture. However, giving that the original 360 game didn't exactly ring any bells (and didn't get a PS3 port), it makes me doubt we'll get where that came from. It could be something entirely different (all over again).

c) Something else completely unexpected (probably 3D). Ishiwatari is certainly capable of such. And if it's going to be predominantly console-only affair, this is his big chance to do as such.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 01:07:41 AM
As far as I remember, BB was originally supposed tobe an RPG. But its creator (forgot the name), who happens to be a close friend of Ishiwatari saw how Guilty Gear went and decided to make it a fighter.

Maybe... they'll make GG the RPG now?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:32:36 AM
Ben, there's another option: wait a year to release a new BB, opting to do a new GG instead. And frankly, that'd be smarter so that we don't get overexposure of BB.

And what the hell is so wrong with making that 2D, can I ask rudely?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:48:15 PM
There's nothing "wrong" with making it 2D, beyond the notion of (assuming it would be HD)

a) It costs money
b) It costs time
c) It would require a lot of manpower
d) They've already invested such a great amount of resources to market ONE game, which they're going to be investing in for the long haul

2D HD graphics can't be popped up over night. Again, it took ASW upwards of 5 years to make BB the way it is. You really think they're not going to be focused on getting back what they spent on THAT project first, before initializing and marketing another one?

If Ishiwatari is seriously thinking about having another GG game out this year, then it's pretty much illogical to think that they some how had another 2D HD game, a GG of some sort, working along side it. And trying to utilize the XX graphics set is probably out of the question, considering they're old, and not HD quality.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:15:48 PM
Except he never gave a date of release for this new GG. All we know is that a new game will probably come in the future. Gives them plenty of time to make new graphics, and issue a couple BB updates in the interim.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:54 PM
I'll grant you that much.

But again, I think those who are expecting a "traditional" GG are probably going to be left cold (again).

Especially if neither Ohno or Ishiwatari said any thing to the effect of desiring to make a game for the arcades...just PS3/360 is mentioned and that you could be able to "have fun in that world".  8D

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:15 PM
Do tell, was Overture really as bad as everyone made it seem? Haven't played it yet.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 11:48:15 PM
Overture....is definitely an acquired taste, to say the least. 8D

It tries to be a RTS, a Dynasty Warriors style hack-n-slash, and even a bit of a DMC-like, all in one. It doesn't really do any of those 3 that well, and the controls are crazy. I salute Ishiwatari for trying, but his ideas were all over the place, and nothing really serves to bring it all together.

It's got potential, to be something interesting, if they REALLY want to revisit it some time soon. But...would need a LOT of work. And Daisuke needs to go back to friggin' voicing his own damn character, as he wasn't Sol in the game, for whatever reason.