Anyone here good artists? NES game cover needed!

Konchuu Kettou · 11151

Offline Konchuu Kettou

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: May 23, 2011, 09:04:17 PM
It doesn't matter how many people are good artists, but there is only thing for every good artist! It's not some kind of an art contest but to improve that one page which can be put into a photo album of the unoffical Facebook page of Neoぼろくず工房!

I need someone to do a theme for Rockman 4 MI (Minus infinity) which may turn into a NES game cover.

If you're professionally experienced with Photoshop Gimp, or other good paint software then this is the job for you! You can create ANYTHING you want as long you include Mega Man/Rockman character, the CAPCOM logo, the NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM logo, and the Nintendo Seal in it! You can even add a comment to the game cover. Sketch art, or digital is fine! The ESRB Rating system is preferred but not required. Which is either Rated E or E10. Finished images that posted in this thread must be in good quality or .PNG format.

I'm not a pro artist by the way!

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 04:00:51 PM
There are plenty of good artists here. Keep looking~

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:01:59 PM
I recommend Koi.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 06:52:19 PM
I recommend the two posters above!

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:44:33 AM
What's the Facebook account for? You'll probably gonna get more attention if you show that the image is going to be given a good use, right now this is just a random request. I'm not offering btw, not in the drawing mood lately, and I'd like to avoid any Megaman stuff for now anyway. Good luck!

Offline Konchuu Kettou

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:53:12 AM
True, but Neoぼろくず工房's Facebook page is most likely to bring Rockman 4 MI fans there. I was one of the 2nd admins.

Anyway, I'll keep searching but thanks anyway! I hope the 1st admin's YouTube video got some attention very soon!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 01:03:46 AM
I'll see if I can somehow help. If I get and idea or if I get in the mood I could scribble something up. Who knows, you might like it.

Offline Konchuu Kettou

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:48:02 PM
Ganbatte! (Go for it!)

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 06:11:03 AM
If the artwork is used, will the artist get paid?  And what type of art style are you looking for?  Do you intend to make any money off of the game, and if so, will the artist get royalties?

Not (yet) offering, as I'm currently in a backlog and have my focus elsewhere, but I'd like to know more information first.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 07:41:09 AM
it would probably help if i knew what this game was since "megaman character" is a really vague starting point

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 08:22:47 AM
That, too.  What kind of composition are you looking for?  Any specific characters, canon or fanon?  If mostly fanon characters, will you be able to supply references for them, such as concept art?  Spritesheets, particularly 8-bit classic sheets, are difficult to work from, as details are lost from concept to sprite.  Having concept and production art for reference would be helpful.

Also, is there a specific tone that you're looking for?  How large do you want the image?  Would other media be acceptable to use, such as paints?  Is there any specific reason that you want this to be done digitally?  Are you wanting the PSD file as well as the image itself?  Do you also want a logotype?  If you already have a logotype, that will also need to be supplied for composition layouts. 

Offline Konchuu Kettou

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 06:47:57 PM
@Quickman To all of your questions, if the art is used for payment, then it is considered copyright infringement without the artist's permission. I'm not actually going to use the artwork for real NES carts which is illegal if used for profit or monetary gain. Rockman 4 MI is a free game and should not be used for money without permission for all copyright holders including CAPCOM.

Any art style you want as long there is a Rockman/Mega Man Character in it. But the art theme should be Rockman 4 MI (Minus Infinity).

Now about the other thread question:
The NES game cover size should be 270x370 pixels. Since Rockman 4 MI is a fan game, then it should be Fanon. Concept art or Production art is accepted. Only HQ pics are accepted for .JPG or .PNG format. Other media is acceptable if needed. And I proberly  want a logotype.

Oh yeah by the way, my friend Insectduel is going to do a fan work of his own involving Mega Man VS. Shadow Mega Man by sketch. Of course it won't be a NES game cover.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 11:41:58 AM
I think you misunderstood me.  I asked if you would be able to provide the concept/production art for reference.  If there is no concept/production art for the game, then you leave the box designer in a tight spot, as they would be the one who would have to design your characters.

How far along is this game, anyway?

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 02:46:31 PM
The game is just an improved MM4 so far, so I don't really see how it needs a new cover, but that's just me...

Offline Konchuu Kettou

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 06:27:06 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5C97vvPRFo[/youtube]
Rockman 4 MI
The game is almost finished and should be completed by Fall 2011. Is this your reference?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 09:09:11 AM
So, it appears that you're using existing RMs, and thus existing artwork.  And as Koi pointed out, since it is apparently a reworked MM4, then why would new cover art be needed? 

You also said you want the images to be hi-res.  What resolution, exactly?  What dimensions?

Also, I'd like to point out that while this is a fan game and will be distributed for free, you can still legally pay an artist for artwork.  That is termed a commission.  This happens in the Artist Alleys at many conventions, and many artists themselves will sell their artwork, including fan art.  Comic artists can sell sketches to the public legally, cover artists can sell their originals.   So, yes, it is perfectly legal to pay an artist for a commission.  And since you're looking for a freelancer, you should expect the topic of payment to come up.

If I, or any artist, were to do this cover, logotype and box composition included, I would also be using this for portfolio purposes and, suffice to say, I would be looking for payment, as would any artist.  The thing about freelance artists is that we are taking the time out of our day to do this, we are using our own materials, our own software, and we are acting as the art director.   Also, since this is more than just box art, the artist would also need to show you various composition thumbnails for approval, along with WIPs for further approval and if changes need to be made.  This would be a very long process.

If you are looking for professional work, you had better be prepared to deal with professional artists and their professional demands. 

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 07:29:40 PM
You already created that Facebook account you mentioned? Because you could make a sort of contest in there to let actual fans to work on it, I'm sure they'll care more about making the poster if they are part of your group.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 06:48:09 AM
You would garner far more attention via your Facebook page, and if you have it as a contest, then the topic if payment will never come up.  Otherwise, this would be viewed as a commission.

Also, I suggest you brush up on your terminology, as there still seems to be some confusion on your end as to what I meant by concept and production art.  Sprites are not concept art.  Gameplay video is not production art.  

Concept art is the art that fleshes out a concept.  The artist conceptualizes the characters.  Concept art is rarely, if ever, final, as changes are made from concept to production to final product.  This is an example of concept art.

Production art is art used for reference and the production of the final product.  Production art may also change, but it maintains more consistency than concept art.  Production art for games may include model sheets or character keys that outline the character's animations.  They may also depict a scene, or simply a rendition of various characters for another artist's reference.  This is an example of production art.

Model sheets, also called character keys, are pieces of production art that depict a character at various angles, along with provide expressions and details.  Model sheets are used for animation, primarily, so the animators will know how to draw a character at all angles and remain consistent with their details.  This is an example of a model sheet.

When I asked if you would be able to provide concept and production art for your characters (since I was under the impression that they would all be fanon), the above is what I meant.  But since you're using canon RMs and characters, then the art is already widely available.

MexicanSunflower

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 06:08:53 AM
ever consider getting someone to do custom sprites before you ask people to do artwork for the game?

like koi said, this really just seems like an improved mm4, and while it is an amazing hack, i think it might be better to get some new bosses/stage tilesets before doing artwork.

Offline Konchuu Kettou

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 10:14:55 PM
You already created that Facebook account you mentioned? Because you could make a sort of contest in there to let actual fans to work on it, I'm sure they'll care more about making the poster if they are part of your group.

Neoぼろくず工房 only has 14 Fans so it's not possible to tell 14 of them to do the contest. And Neoぼろくず工房 also hiring human Japanese/English translators which takes dozens of Japanese people on their admin friend's page to hire.

Speaking of concept art, here's one from Insectduel.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 11:30:48 PM
i'm sorry konchuu, but i think this whole thing is completely absurd. you're asking for professional-grade artwork, which you haven't made it clear as to whether or not you plan on paying for, for a romhack. a huge number of people make romhacks all over the world. this is nothing new, this is nothing exciting. now if you were starting from the ground up, and doing key things like designing new characters, new environment art, new enemies, new everything, without taking the game and just replacing pieces of it, this would be something completely new. you're treating this like something it will never be.

if you're still convinced you need new cover art for this then your best bet is to deal with an artist, who is offering commissioned artwork, on a one-on-one basis. in this case you will be obligated to reimburse the artist for their work and their time. a commissioned artist is offering you a service, and expects to be paid for that service. you need to understand what you want. you could have gone this whole time just saying "i'm making a romhack. and i want what would basically be improved cover art for megaman 4, but i want it to highlight these changes i've made". and then you'd show them what you were talking about.

or you could just use/edit the original and save yourself the money

if i could i'd lock this thread at this point. i'm gonna leave this thread quietly and suggest everybody else do the same.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 02:30:51 AM
The romhack IS exciting in my opinion, I do think it's one of the best hacks (if not THE best) made for any Megaman game. But, AGAIN, graphically it's still a Megaman 4 game. I don't see why you can't use the official poster for it.

And I think there as been a misunderstanding here, Konchuu didn't made this hack, he's just a random fanboy.

And Konchuu, I asked it already, and you're just spinning around senselessly. You haven't told ANYTHING about the group. Why would I (or anyone here) want to help and waste my time on making this drawing for you? What is it going to get used for? If it's just to decorate that group (with only 14? Isn't it too soon to ask for such a thing?)? Are you going to pay for the artwork or not (I'm sure it's the later, but you should point that out anyway!)? What do you want to see in the drawing? What format (270x370 pixels and HQ is a BIT contradictory)? Which style? Seriously, you are just giving us little packages of info per post, it's really annoying. You should point out every basic thing in your first post.

If you want anyone to take their valuable time to make you something remotely decent, then at least take your time to make a good first impression.

So yeah, guess it'll be better to ask somewhere else, and this time ask properly about what you want... now I shut up.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 04:52:26 AM
I'm sorry to say, Konchuu, but I agree with Koi.  Hardly any of my questions were answered enough to even provide a modicum of information, you were unsure of the terminology I was using, and you backpedaled quite a bit.  I was willing to consider the offer if I could get enough information, as it would have made for a nice addition to my portfolio.  But since, according to what little information I got, the artist would be responsible to the logotype, box design (I assume the back of it, as well, so that would include page layout and composition), along with designing a piece of cover art for something that really doesn't need one in the first place, then it strikes me as far too much effort for what would amount to be a waste of time. 

You may be better off asking elswhere, but as Koi has said, you should take the time to draft up a good, solid proposal.  Don't just say "Hey, draw me box art!" and then not know what you want.  Figure out what you want, draft up a proposal, and present it in the first post.  Also, I'd reconsider the image size.  The size Koi quoted is really tiny and not, I repeat, not high quality.  Let me give you an example of what resolution print artists work at:

600 DPI. 

And that is the minimum.  For comparison, most web art is 100 to 300 DPI.  For my web pieces, I usually work at 200 DPI.  A roughly 8 X 12 image scanned at 200 DPI will have a height of well over 2,500 pixels.  Now, up the resolution to 600 DPI.  The pixel count would be HUGE.  It needs to be that way for printing. 

So, for future reference, I suggest you do a bit of research prior to taking your proposal elsewhere.  Learn the terminology, learn what resolutions are best for what format, and be prepared to deal with artists asking for payment.  Have all of your information in the very first post and be prepared to answer each and every single question an artist has. 

I'm sorry it didn't work out here and I wish you good luck elsewhere.  Just work on your proposal, make that first post count.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 06:00:38 PM
An idea for the cover art itself, instead of only having the boss characters and Rockman himself on it, why not jump beyond the border of what official Japanese cover arts has in them (boss characters, Rockman himself and the castle).

Draw the new landscapes or the weapons that Rockman is using. Have 4 weapons being used on one side, 4 weapons being used on the other side, and Rockman staring at you in the middle with a cool pose or something. Add some other things in the background of the cover art too for more vibrant and eye-catching effect. Include the new Rush changes too if you like. ^^

Here's a list of the new weapon changes from the ROM hack, so you get an idea of what the ROM hack has to offer.

You can also look at qzecwx and Bluestar899's channels (and so many others to count) to find more about the hack.

The ROM Hack itself is made by PureSaber and is called Rockman 4: Minus Infinity.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Konchuu Kettou

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 07:55:17 PM
Oh dang! The admin leader is getting in a bad mood with me. He read this post and discharges me as admin.

This was made sometime ago! Which is why the admin leader ASKED you guys.