Battle Network: The Card Game

King Reaper · 2751

Offline King Reaper

• yeah
  • B-Class Hunter
  • I used to be somebody...
    • View Profile
on: February 05, 2012, 12:12:59 AM
This is an idea I've been tossing around for a while. It originally started as an attempt to emulate Battle Chip Challenge as a card game, but eventually evolved into something more like the actual games.
What I have right now is a sort of turn-based BN setup with elements of Yugioh and chess. With sufficient interest, I'll start making cards, and a playable, online multiplayer version could then be made using OCTGN for playtesting purposes.

Some input on the ruleset we have now would be great, before we actually get started on card design.

Megaman Battle Net Card Game

Decks: Each character has a set 54 card deck based on a poker deck. 4 of every card,2 through 10, Jack, King, Queen, Ace, and two jokers. The 2 through 10 cards are chips and summons with some abilities mixed in. Face cards are navi attacks and abilities. Not sure what jokers do yet.

Playing field: Cards, when played, are placed into a 6x3 battlefield set up like the play field from the BN games.

Summons: Each navi has a “summon limit” and each summonable card has a cost. Navis can only have summons on the field if their total cost is within their summon limit. (Summon limit and summon cost will be referred to as “Navi memory” and “Memory Cost” respectively.) A summon’s health and attack power (if it is capable of attacking) are determined by its card rank. For example, a summon on a rank 2 card would only have 2 health an attack power. Summons can only be destroyed by cards of equal lower rank or any face card. Also listed on each summon card are movement capabilities and attack range.

Battle Chips: Like summons, a battle chip has a set attack range, and their attack power is dependent on the card’s rank. Battle chips are single-use unless otherwise stated, and can only destroy units of equal or lower rank. Battle chips can used by any of your units on the field.

Combat: When one player attacks a summon and destroys it, the excess damage is transferred to the opponent’s navi. For example, if a rank 10 summon destroys a rank 5 summon, the summon is destroyed and the opponent’s navi takes 5 damage. Also, if a player’s navi uses an attack with a strength of 15 to attack a summon of rank 5, the opponent’s navi would take 10 damage. Attacking the navi directly deals the full damage of the move.

First Turn: Both players draw to five cards regardless of navi abilities. Both players summon as many cards from their hand to the play field as their Navi Memory allows. Players then determine who goes first (by RPS or coin flip).Player who goes first draws to five cards or more if their navi ability allows it and turns continue normally from here on.

Turn structure: At the start of every turn, the player draws until they have five cards in their hand, no more, no less, unless their navi has an ability that allows them to draw more, or the opponent has an ability preventing them from drawing, etc. After drawing, the player may summon a card from their hand to the field in any position unless one is specified by the card. Players may then move one of their units and attack with one of their units. They are only allowed to perform one of each of these actions each turn. The unit they choose to move, if they move one, doesn’t have to be the same unit they choose to attack with. Similarly, when summoning a unit, that doesn’t have to be the unit the player moves or attacks with. When attacking, you may use any Battle Chip in your hand in place of the unit’s standard attack.

Navi abilities: Ability cards will indicate when the ability can be played (Start of turn, end of turn, etc). When an ability is played, the opponent may counter with one of their own if possible.

Minor Notes:
•   Might include a way to return face cards to your hand if that eventually becomes an issue.
•   Maybe jokers can be stronger attacks/summons with higher costs for using them?

EDIT: Perhaps this would be better off in the fangame section?

EDIT EDIT: Some mockup cards I've completed. The design is more or less finished, just the specifics of health, memory, etc need to be ironed out.

and a small glimpse of upcoming cards...

Posted on: February 01, 2012, 12:51:50 PM
Hrm

well that's curious

...what?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:20:59 AM
I think this may have lots of potential. Good idea! :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline King Reaper

• yeah
  • B-Class Hunter
  • I used to be somebody...
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:34:21 PM
Megaman's entire deck (alpha 0.1)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Some playtesting will need to be done to see if this layout is fun. I tried to give him a fairly even spread of battlechips and virus summons. Notice that none of his units are particularly mobile, so he'll have to do a fair share of the fighting himself. Compare this to characters like, say, Numberman or Knightman, who will likely let their units do most of the work.

So I'm gonna try to get the online version running asap, either through OCTGN or LackeyCCG, but this may be a little ways off. In the meantime, I'll be putting together a printable version so anyone that's interested may try it out at home.

You could even mark up a dollar store poker deck for yourself. Cards of the same number will have the same ability/chip/virus, etc.

Edit: Trying to make this game in LackeyCCG is making my head spin... doesn't help that I know next to nothing about programming.

If this gets done any time soon it will likely be in a bare-bones, do-everything-yourself sort of format, where you have to manually discard cards, change your health, etc. It might hurt game flow a little, but it can't be helped.

...what?