Operation: Legends HD Collection as well as a plan for a NEW petition

Megaman-RA · 13286

Offline Megaman-RA

• Revived, Reborn, Reawakened
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Okay, it took some digging, but I found the quote from Sven that I was looking for.  Granted, this is way back in December 2010 (you know, back when Legends 3 was real):

"Actually, it looks like there's an IP risk on one of the titles so the IP group won't let us re-release it on PSN. We've been trying to see if we can't get that resolved but it's going to take a long time."

*voice actor discussion among the members*

"The issues I'm speaking of are not audio related but I can't elaborate more unfortunately."

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/26463829/Progress_on_getting_the_Mega_Man_Legends_series_to_PSN

So, some middleware issue, I guess?

Middleware issue? Then what is it?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Huh. Well that could be almost anything really.

Perhaps they had help from an outside entity? Perhaps a scan through the credits of both titles may yield some outside entity names for certain components.

(What about MegaMan 64?)

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Megaman-RA

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Huh. Well that could be almost anything really.

Perhaps they had help from an outside entity? Perhaps a scan through the credits of both titles may yield some outside entity names for certain components.

(What about MegaMan 64?)

Maybe. I'll have to check and see.

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
Okay, it took some digging, but I found the quote from Sven that I was looking for.  Granted, this is way back in December 2010 (you know, back when Legends 3 was real):

"Actually, it looks like there's an IP risk on one of the titles so the IP group won't let us re-release it on PSN. We've been trying to see if we can't get that resolved but it's going to take a long time."

*voice actor discussion among the members*

"The issues I'm speaking of are not audio related but I can't elaborate more unfortunately."

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/26463829/Progress_on_getting_the_Mega_Man_Legends_series_to_PSN

So, some middleware issue, I guess?

This is exactly why I came up with the possibility of the "Action Man" name in Legends 1 and the trivia in Legends 2 as potential IP problems for future rereleases of Legends 1 and Legends 2.  

From what Sven said, voice acting is not the main reason why Legends 1 and 2 was not released.  Come to think of it, I thought it was Seth Killian who mentioned this.  I guess I got Sven and Seth confused.  

If it was visual related, then I don't see any resemblances of any object that infringes other IPs.  The rereleases of Legends 1 and Legends 2 during 2009 in Japan are evident of this.

If it were hardware/software issues, then going by that logic the PSP rereleases of Legends 1 and Legends 2 in Japan should not have occurred.  

As a fan who played Legends 1 and Legends 2, I am also flustered by why and how both of these games were not rereleased.  However, I'll have to face facts that Capcom is not willing to make or release anymore Legends games anytime soon for whatever reason they come up with.  

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Well, I already retorted the Action Man/Trivia issue earlier in this thread.

http://www.rockmancorner.com/2011/05/mega-man-legends-not-coming-to-psn.html
Sven in this video (from 14:20) speaks of the various things which can cause issues.  VA and soundtracks, which he seemingly spoke against previously, are among them.  But there's also logos, middleware, and the fact that early contracts may not have specified digital distribution as acceptable use.

Noteworthy is that Sven starts to talk about Legends 1 specifically, but then stops himself.

My money is on digital distribution.  Because none of what he is talking about stood in the way of MM8, X4, etc., in disc-based collections up to 9 years after their original release.  The PSP ports not coming here could be a simple marketing decision; can you really blame CoA for not bringing over UMDs containing only a single generally unenhanced PS1 game?  Does two games make for much of a compilation?  Even Japan never got Misadventures on PSP, to my knowledge anyway.

There's one other thing we need to call bull on CoA for:  NONE OF THIS stands in the way of DASH 2 Episode 1, because that one was never previously brought to the U.S.  So if they wanted to make a quick digitally distributed buck, there you go.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Subtitles aren't working.

I'd certainly look forward to that at least. A shame it never came stateside. The cutscenes look like a lot of fun, and the gameplay is the same Legends we know and love.

For the story cutscenes taking after cliched anime, it's awfully entertaining and genuine. The faces and animation really pull it off.

Offline Megaman-RA

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
Well, I already retorted the Action Man/Trivia issue earlier in this thread.

http://www.rockmancorner.com/2011/05/mega-man-legends-not-coming-to-psn.html
Sven in this video (from 14:20) speaks of the various things which can cause issues.  VA and soundtracks, which he seemingly spoke against previously, are among them.  But there's also logos, middleware, and the fact that early contracts may not have specified digital distribution as acceptable use.

Noteworthy is that Sven starts to talk about Legends 1 specifically, but then stops himself.

My money is on digital distribution.  Because none of what he is talking about stood in the way of MM8, X4, etc., in disc-based collections up to 9 years after their original release.  The PSP ports not coming here could be a simple marketing decision; can you really blame CoA for not bringing over UMDs containing only a single generally unenhanced PS1 game?  Does two games make for much of a compilation?  Even Japan never got Misadventures on PSP, to my knowledge anyway.

There's one other thing we need to call bull on CoA for:  NONE OF THIS stands in the way of DASH 2 Episode 1, because that one was never previously brought to the U.S.  So if they wanted to make a quick digitally distributed buck, there you go.

If Digital Distribution is the issue then this is bad.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
More info on the demo episodes for Legends 2:

www.legends-station.com/?page=mml2/development

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
I'm afraid petitions and endless debates about features & remakes are useless. Capcom wants $$$. Think about crowd funding. Start a project on something like Kickstarter, buy preorders for not-yet-existing game. Basically, acquire lots of money and shove it down Capcom's throat. They must be 100% sure that they will earn a certain amount.

But wait! This operation must be well organized, something like this will work only once. You'll need a trusted intermediary, media attention, and clear rules of the deal. For example:
Step 1: We gather money and hand it to the middleman
Step 2a: Capcom makes AND publishes new game, they get them monies
Step 2b: Capcom refuses, we get our money back
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: PROFIT

See?
This is exactly what I was talking about.
New game from a major studio, crowd funded in EIGHT [tornado fang]ing HOURS.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Oh, if only...

What ticks me off the most to this day about L3's cancellation is the fact that Capcom absolutely refuses to "shut up and take our zenny" for fear of making it more difficult to sweep Legends under the rug.  For God's sake, the Prototype Version was to be released a month and a half BEFORE the cancellation announcement; we all know it's done.

First Legends was too risky because supposedly nobody cared, and now that people care, it's too taboo.  No matter what happens Capcom simply refuses to bring the series into focus.  In terms of being assed to bring ANY Legends-series product to market, it seems somebody has to force their hand.  And this is why I'm watching that D-Arts poll like a hawk, although the impact of a product aimed at the hardcore minority of collectors is debatable.  Also why, if I had an HD system, I'd be kissing the ground that CyberConnect2 walks on.  Capcom just will not take the plunge; somebody else has to take it with them or nothing's going to happen.  They're like Frank Drebin's description of sex.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Well has anyone actually tried to raise the money to fund it and deliver to Capcom?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
A third party raising funds without their beneficiary's consent is just asking for trouble.  Ask TRIAL Films.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Well if they truly don't care about Mega Man, I say try anyways. If worst comes to worst, so be it. At least we'll be putting forth more effort than they did.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything