The Official Pokémon Black & White Discussion Thread

Klavier Gavin · 347670

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1125 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:10 PM

Yeah I never used a Gyarados, it takes too much to train it and it's never worth it.  I mean for crying out loud it's a flying type pokemon but it can't learn flying attacks not even Aerial Ace.  Arcanine can learn Aerial Ace no problem but not Gyarados who is a flying type not thanks that just makes him more vunerable for no reason.

I really doubt he'd be OU if it wasn't worth it. Besides, what does he need Aerial Ace for?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1126 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:00 PM
I really doubt he'd be OU if it wasn't worth it. Besides, what does he need Aerial Ace for?
I'm just saying why make him a Flying type if he can't learn any flying moves other than Bounce, which is a move that is learned by a bunch of non flyers anyway, through a move tutor.  It just makes him more vunerable for no reason.  Plus Bounce is just Fly with less accuracy, less attack power, and less PP but can Paralyze pokemon pretty well.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1127 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:10 PM

Yeah I never used a Gyarados, it takes too much to train it and it's never worth it.  I mean for crying out loud it's a flying type pokemon but it can't learn flying attacks not even Aerial Ace.  Arcanine can learn Aerial Ace no problem but not Gyarados who is a flying type not thanks that just makes him more vunerable for no reason.
So you didn't know that any tournament inside the games demands that you save and you went ahead and saved anyway? 

Honestly I like the Battle Frontier because I stay far far away from the Battle Factory myself and focus on the Battle Castle, Battle Tower, and ocassionally the Battle Arcade.

EDIT: Okay Gyarados can learn Bounce but I would never use Bounce or Fly in a real battle.

I just don't like the picky bitchy rules they have in the Battle Frontier, No Legendaries so you can't have any aces in the hole, Limited Item usage (Or none at all.), Restricted to 3 Pokemon, No Items allowed to be held by your Pokemon (No Leftovers, real nice.)

It feels like tournament rules. I don't play Tournaments, so I find it to be a massive crock of [parasitic bomb] Nintendo made to make Tourneyfags be Tourneyfaggish while not playing in a Tourney.

And again, its EV Training REQUIRED. if you just kill whatever comes your way like I do you won't win, because they WILL have better stats.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1128 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:18 PM
Agreed completely.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1129 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:40 PM
I never bought into the whole "Psychics are too powerful" complaints back then.  While it's true that there's no real way to hit them from a type-weakness standpoint (Ghost moves sucked too, regardless of Poison hybrid status), all first-gen Psychics with the exception of Hypno had high Speed but crappy Defense.  

Yeah, a hard-hitter can take 'em down pretty good, even if there's a fair enough level distance beteween the defender and the attacker. But some Spychic pokemon have moves that can make ghosts more vunrable to non-special moves, so that's a real benefit there.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1130 on: August 16, 2010, 09:44:53 PM
I'm just saying why make him a Flying type if he can't learn any flying moves other than Bounce, which is a move that is learned by a bunch of non flyers anyway, through a move tutor.  It just makes him more vunerable for no reason.  Plus Bounce is just Fly with less accuracy, less attack power, and less PP but can Paralyze pokemon pretty well.

Think of it this way, it was either Flying or Dragon. Would you like to fight against a Water/Dragon Gyarados?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1131 on: August 16, 2010, 09:46:34 PM
Think of it this way, it was either Flying or Dragon. Would you like to fight against a Water/Dragon Gyarados?
Well early on no, but it's still not a pokemon I would ever use.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1132 on: August 16, 2010, 10:10:40 PM
Yeah, a hard-hitter can take 'em down pretty good, even if there's a fair enough level distance beteween the defender and the attacker. But some Spychic pokemon have moves that can make ghosts more vunrable to non-special moves, so that's a real benefit there.

Reminds me of some Pokemon Yellow fun that happened back in the day.

I was fighting Sabrina using my Pikachu and Snorlax, Pikachu fell to her Kadabra I think... Anyway, it was down to Snorlax and Alakazam. I had given Snorlax Metronome, and I was close to getting my ass beat. I try metronome to see if I can get anything good....

SNORLAX used TRANSFORM!

OH HELL YES!

I used Psychic on Alakazam, (Keep in mind I was close to dying.) and killed him.

Most amazing Metronome usage ever.

Too bad I was probably 9 or 10 when this happened.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1133 on: August 16, 2010, 10:16:54 PM
I used Psychic on Alakazam, (Keep in mind I was close to dying.) and killed him.

How did that even happen.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1134 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:42 PM

A weakness error most likely. Spychics could be hit hard from other spychic moves and deal good amounts of damage to them. That or it was due to Snorlax's origional sp.attack power that helped Psychic defeat the Alakazam.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1135 on: August 16, 2010, 10:30:00 PM
But why would a sp.attack be influenced by the Attack stat? An sp.attack that would be not very effective AND against a pokemon with a high Special >_>

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1136 on: August 16, 2010, 10:36:11 PM
But why would a sp.attack be influenced by the Attack stat? An sp.attack that would be not very effective AND against a pokemon with a high Special >_>
It must of been very close to dying.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1137 on: August 16, 2010, 10:36:18 PM

Gah, that was a post error! *fixes* ><  

It must of been very close to dying.

Either that or it was at a decent level, the snorlax was.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1138 on: August 16, 2010, 10:45:45 PM

Sheer Luck? I think it was a critical hit... or it was close to dying... And Snorlax was I think around lvl 60 or something.

I don't really remember other than that Alakazam was beating my ass, I used Metronome, got Transform, and killed him with Psychic.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #1139 on: August 17, 2010, 04:37:46 AM
Luck also plays a big role a battle, and boy that must've been epic when that happened! ^_^

Well I finally got off my lazy butt and started off where I left off in Soul Silver getting the Boulder Badge, Volcano Bagde, and Earth Badge finally. Honestly I was kinda stumped on how to get the Poke Flute music on the PokeGear to play to wake up that Snorlax until I went back to Lavender Town and got the upgrade on the radio part to play the flute.

Well anyway I'm close to facing off with Red, but I need to go to Oak's first to put up my Kanto starter Pokemon. And it will always be Charmander, he will always have a special place in my heart as my most favorite starter Pokemon.

After that I'm going around to collect my ideal Pokemon Team and finally do that IV and EV training on them to make them the best. And I'm not going to have Final Evolution stages of my team as I want to see how far they can go from their First or Second Stage.

And to be on topic, what new feature on Pokemon Black and White do you like so far you've heard from the announcements? Personally I'm liking all of them, but the new Dream World catches my attention. An interesting idea and looks very cool. One feature I'm sad that's not returning, or seems like it, is having your Pokemon follow you around. It makes it more special and more closer to my Pokemon who's traveling alongside me.

At least give the ability if you want your Pokemon outside of the Pokeball or not. Or well, no real loss in gameplay.

Also do you think this new "evil" team, Team Plasma, really is evil or misguided? Kinda like how Team Magma and Aqua was in Ruby and Sapphire? I'm going with the latter judging by their conversation in an article about them.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #1140 on: August 17, 2010, 05:14:46 AM
Luck also plays a big role a battle, and boy that must've been epic when that happened! ^_^

Pokemon Leafgreen, only Pokemon was Charmander, beating Brock's Geodude, having like 4 HP left, Charmander getting JUST enough EXP, learning Metal Claw, rock-blocked Onix. Got Boulderbadge.

2nd playthrough, went for a bit of a challenge.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1141 on: August 17, 2010, 05:19:46 AM
Is Brock really any challenge with Charmander if it knows Ember? Because I don't remember having any trouble at all.

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #1142 on: August 17, 2010, 05:22:00 AM
Ember didn't do all that much damage. Unless you were like uberly overleveled. No. The only way to  beat Brock is either get a Butterfree with Confusion or have Charmander learn Metal Claw.

Or just not pick Charmander at all.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1143 on: August 17, 2010, 05:46:53 AM
There was always the fun method in Yellow that involved catching a Mankey.  You're far more likely to keep it in your party than Butterfree, too.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #1144 on: August 17, 2010, 06:00:15 AM
There was always the fun method in Yellow that involved catching a Mankey.  You're far more likely to keep it in your party than Butterfree, too.

Yeah. That was real FUN.

Forgot about that.

But yeah. Catching a level 3 Caterpie and wandering in the small grass just south of Pewter for hours on end training is way easier.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1145 on: August 18, 2010, 07:35:25 AM
There was always the fun method in Yellow that involved catching a Mankey.  You're far more likely to keep it in your party than Butterfree, too.

Aw yeah, I had to level that Mankey up HIGH, I ended up with a Primape I think... So it was obviously disobedient. (That was before my Yellow version save got Wiped.)

Ember didn't do all that much damage. Unless you were like uberly overleveled. No. The only way to  beat Brock is either get a Butterfree with Confusion or have Charmander learn Metal Claw.

It was probably harder back in the RBY days, where Metal claw was Non-existant.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1146 on: August 18, 2010, 07:41:53 AM
Aw yeah, I had to level that Mankey up HIGH, I ended up with a Primape I think... So it was obviously disobedient. (That was before my Yellow version save got Wiped.)
Wait I thought that pokemon only became disobediant if you didn't originally owned them.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1147 on: August 18, 2010, 08:25:57 AM
Wait I thought that pokemon only became disobediant if you didn't originally owned them.

I thought it was if the level got too high.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1148 on: August 18, 2010, 08:50:05 AM
It's both, I think. I spammed the box feature in Pokemon Stadium, and when I traded my lv100 Charizard to a new game, he never listened. But I think if you were to somehow get to an area with high-level Pokemon (like Route 46 in G/S/C that you can get high leveled pokemon early on, with some difficulty) and caught one, it would be disobedient as well.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #1149 on: August 18, 2010, 12:40:13 PM
I am to lazy to look this up but is White/Black a DS or 3DS game?

This post has been approved by Marle!