Super Megaman 3 (Released)

thefallenalchemist · 7846

Offline thefallenalchemist

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
on: October 28, 2013, 07:30:43 AM
Hey all. You probably didn't know it, but Super Megaman 3 was released after a year and a half of work. Note that "Super Megaman 3" is just a title and has nothing to do with the actual Megaman 3, like Megaman 4+ did for that respective title. It's a totally original game for the most part, with a playable Blues in addition to Rock.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpCppUlxEM[/youtube]

Creator Notes:

This has been a whole year and a half in the making and I can't express how proud I am to see it complete! I hope you enjoy playing the game as much as I did making it!

Story:

In the year 20XX, the world is at peace, until Bass tries to change that! With 8 robots stolen from Dr. Wily, he attempts world domination! Dr. Wily, being out of house and robots (except Alto, his helper robot), he pleads for the assistance of Mega Man and Protoman to stop Bass's plans on world domination! Can Mega Man and Protoman defeat Bass and all eight robot masters? You decide, in Super Mega Man 3!

Controls:

in game:

<Z> - jump
<X> - shoot
Hold <X> - charge
<Left> - move left
<Right> - move right
<Up> - move up ladders
<Down> - move down ladders
<Down> + <Z> - slide
<A> - Quick toggle left
<S> - Quick toggle right
<Enter> - Pause Menu

in menu/stage select:
<Shift> - Switch between characters on stage select
<Enter/Z> - buy/start stage/go to selected roomt
<X> - go back to menu

F1 - 256 by 224 screen resolution
F2 - 512 by 448 screen resolution
F3 - 768 by 672 screen resolution
F4 - 1024 by 896 screen resolution
F5 - full screen mode
F6 - Reset the game (in case it glitches up)

Find any glitches?

Message me about them and I'll try to fix them as soon as I have the time!

Mega Man and all related content are copyrighted by CAPCOM.

Download Here:

http://gamejolt.com/games/action/super-mega-man-3/16652/

EDIT: My thoughts on the game after a quick play so far, are quite good. Despite the large WIAT! loading screen, the game itself seems to be pretty decent. It allows for a save feature, contains a built in database along with unlockable bonus content, and as far as the robot masters are concerned, I really like the sprite job for Arach Man. The game play allows for charge and slide features, and everything seems to be close to what it should be for the time spent creating it. The stages also have fun gimmicks, so this is actually a bit more entertaining in that area than more well known titles. Don't know why this game fell by the wayside, but I could surmise the title would have something to do with it. And who the hell is Alto?

Offline Shinryu

• Cyberelf
  • Passive-Aggressive Coffee Table
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:22:33 PM
I actually got done playing this game a while ago (mostly out of boredom in searching for various projects to make videos on). In comparison with the three other classic styled fan-games that have come about this year (Unlimited, Revolution, and Rock Force), this is definitely the weakest of the bunch. I'm a bit tempted to make a fully organized list to pin-point every aspect that's wrong with this game, but I feel like I'd be ripping off Joseph Collins' forms of in-depth analysis. In the very least however, I'll point out some of the biggest glaring flaws with this game.

NOTE: I have quite a bit to say on this game at the moment. So...you may want to get a snack if you choose to actually read what's beyond this next spoiler tag.

[spoiler]
First up, basic forms of movement feel very off. Both characters feel somewhat "floaty" when it comes to moving around and jumping on things. Mega Man in particular seems to have a problem with his walking cycle (it seems very jerky and a bit too quick). I think all this is less noticeable when playing as Proto Man, but it's all still there.

Speaking of the two characters, there doesn't really seem to be many differences between them. Unlike in MM9 and 10, Mega Man is perfectly capable of sliding and charging his buster here. Proto Man also retains these abilities, along with a few of his other traits (though not all of them). He has the standard two bullets on-screen limitation, along with the ability to deflect small projectiles with his shield. He doesn't seem to take any more damage from hazards than Mega Man would however, which was a defining trait of his play-style in the two aforementioned official games. When it boils down to it, Proto Man only has two very minor aspects that separate his play-style from Mega Man's in this game. Aside from aspects related to the story-line (don't even get me started on that bit), there's virtually no reason to pick one over the other.

Aside from all that, there's a ton of other things wrong about this game. The level design is completely whacked-out, having multiple paths that branch out all over the place - some of which contain minor secrets, but most of the time it just makes things more confusing than necessary. A lot of the enemies also suffer from various problems, the most notable of these being sprite-clashing appearances. The most blatant example of this are a few flying enemies straight out of Mega Man 8 (not the fan-made FC version, either. I mean the PS/Saturn version), and the giant spider enemies in Arach Man's stage. That's not to say the other enemies are much better, though. The Sniper Joe's animations for firing are so stiff and slow that they seem even more out-of-place in comparison to everything (I think they might even be missing set frames of animation as well).

Another flawed aspect I feel needs to be mentioned are the weapons. Some of them are so poorly designed that it just leaves me a bit speechless. For example: Camo Man's weapon is basically just a crappier version of the Commando Bomb. I want you to stop and think about that for a moment. There's a weapon in this game that's a worse version of the Commando Bomb, which is already a terrible version of the Crash Bomb (which in itself is already one of the worst weapons in the classic series). On the flip-side of things, there's a few other weapons that are so overpowered that they nearly put the Phantom Fuse from Rock Force to shame. Blaze Man and Glacier Man's weapons are capable of killing nearly every enemy in the game with just one shot - the latter of which (the Arctic Crush) is an instantaneous full-screen enemy eraser that hits everything multiple times with high damage output. That's not even to mention the Dragon Lance as well (an extra weapon you obtain by defeating Dragon Man, this game's secret boss of sorts). This weapon is basically a slightly better version of Blaze Man's weapon. While it doesn't deal as much damage, its ammo count is much higher, and it can pierce through every form of shielded enemy in the game. Essentially, those three weapons make every other one in the game completely obsolete (with the possible exception of using them on bosses). It really makes me wonder if there was any form of quality control here whatsoever.

Everything else in this game seems to speak for itself. The shoddy design on the Robot Masters isn't quite on the level of someone like Chiko's work, but it's still pretty bad. Arach Man is easily the biggest offender in terms of names (seriously, why not just call him Arachnid Man?), while Aero Man wins the award for being the most generic looking. Out of all the Robot Masters, I think Blaze Man is only semi-passable one of the bunch. Beyond that gigantic output of information, I have nothing left to say on this game (with the exception of the ending. The ending to this game is one of the most insane and mind-numbing things I've ever bared witness to...but hey, now I'm pushing it in making this post even longer, so I may as well just stop for now).
[/spoiler]

Offline thefallenalchemist

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:11:38 AM
Well, yeah. I'll admit after playing it for a while now that the bosses are less than great, the patterns are dreadfully easy (Diamond Man) and there is reused music from the original series and sprite mixing, a thing I've never liked. But I will say that even though Blues and Rock play almost the same, the stages have interesting gimmicks. Diamond Man might have been a pushover, but his stage gimmick was something I haven't seen in a Megaman game. At least this guy tried to make the stages interesting, despite that they weren't much to look at.

As far as the way the characters moved and whatnot, I didn't notice anything out of place. I really can't tell the difference in any of these Megaman fan games, to be honest. They play like Megaman games and that is all that's important to me. Can't expect too much, it's a free product.

I thought the game was a good time-killer, just as I thought it would be, and just as I suspected the rest of you would. I'll also be doing a quick run-through of the game for my channel. Why? I dunno. Maybe someone cares, or is as bored as I was and they'll check it out. The guy did work on it for a year and a half, so it's at least worth looking at. 

Offline spd12

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:48:14 AM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I think the game is okay, certainly not a masterwork but okay. The regular stages show some neat ideas in places (I think the switch puzzle bit in Aero Man's level and the location of the hidden letter in Diamond Man are really clever) although it drops off in quality big time come the fortress stages (of which I assume the maker was excited and just wanted to hurry up and be done).

Some of the bosses are actually decently designed according to their weakness chain and felt natural in places (in others, not so much).

Most of all, I think what stands out most about the game is just how many side rooms and hidden routes there are, and aside from a few that are hidden in a way that you can not possibly know about unless told (or see someone else find them, as my case was), this feels like that's what sets it apart from some others released this year.

More interestingly, I found a LP posted last year of the previous game and the maker of this game sounded very, very young. Even for its flaws, SMM3 is actually a really big step up from SMM2 (look that one up yourself if you'd like, though it is buggy and kind of poorly put together in terms of how death is handled). I think if he keeps making big strides in improvement like the jump in quality between SMM2 and SMM3, and assuming he's up for doing another anyway, I think he could end up making something special.

I'd just hope he puts a bit more thought into the weapon balance and work some more of his enthusiasm into the final levels to really make them stand out more.

Offline rockmanclassix

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:59:50 AM
Meh, I didn't think this game was that bad. Perhaps my view is biased and I find the flaws much more excusable due to the sinfully numerous Mega Man fan games I've played. You'd definitely be more lenient in that regard.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! Look at the time this post was made; I didn't even realize that and only noticed it because right after posting this, the forums marked my post as "yesterday".