VC's Artwork and Fanart Thread

VirusChris · 229199

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #650 on: October 04, 2017, 05:17:02 PM
Hey there! Just this early morning I got hit with some inspiration and drew this:

Chris Corona - Head and Hair Design Concept

Hey there guys! Surprised to see another drawing so soon after my last one? Same here. I made this is, this early morning.

I made these rough sketches of my OC, Chris Corona, after I saw a fanart of a character from Dragon Ball Super, Hop the Catgirl from Universe 9, and when I saw the bangs of her hair it kinda reminded me of how I envisioned what my OC's hair bangs are like and I was hit with inspiration. So I took a piece of paper and grabbed a pencil and started to draw this. I was going to draw just the 3/4 Front look, but thought to myself I never really drew my character from the back or side before so I decided to do so just like in character profile or concept arts to show how the character is design. So I did the same. About time really.

It felt awkward to designed his back and side as I'm not familiar drawing my character like that, well the back mostly. I tried my best to draw him from what I know about drawing characters from different angle and went from there. I hope I did my best and it came out as best as it can be. Seeing as DBZ is the style that inspired me the most I tried to keep it kinda close to the hair design, but with my own flair.

The 3/4 view is just another look for the front bangs of my character. The recent one I did for the Sonic Mania Outro Temple is also one I'm going to use as well, this is just another type to use from another angle. And in the Front view there I kept with the 3-spiked top in an old reference to my original design for Chris who had a Trident-type hairstyle so it's a nice callback to me. The little tail spikes from the bottom were tricky to get as I think I had the hardest figuring out what to do with it at first, with it more like Goku's bottom part of his hair, though it didn't come out right for me. Also I did planned to have two more spiky hair parts that's only visible from the back of his head, but I couldn't figure it out so I decided not to do it.

If there's anything I need to improve on any of these parts, like me know. I like to get his hair just right, but he IS my OC so he's kinda hard for others to know what I want but I think he's coming along nicely. Though any advice is nice! And I know, I messed up on the ear from the back view one. I didn't update it as I was planning to do before I scanned this in.

Until next time, this is VirusChris signing off! Sayanora my Nakama! Laters!

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #651 on: October 06, 2017, 05:08:08 AM
I am currently struck with the creative bug juice! Another drawing, and one I'm quite proud of making:

Once again I got another drawing I made today! It's another sketch of my OC, Chris Corona, with drawing his head and hair once more.
And I think I FINALLY nailed the look I'm trying to go for, for my OC and I love how it came out!

The one on the left is what I was trying to do from the previous last drawing. I didn't mean to draw his face at all and just did it to see what he would look like. At first I thought it was OK, but the way I drew the eyes at first felt off to me and I changed it so he's looking more forward than looking to the right. His face... well it was TOO narrow for my taste. He looked a tad older, but it felt too thin for a head and I didn't like it for what I was going for. I still messed around to see where it would go to see what works and what doesn't. I started with the hair first. I kept the look of the old Trident-style hair in there while messing with the current hairstyle I'm trying to go for, for my OC. When I finished it looked alright and started to find what I was looking for, but wasn't quite there.

In the end I didn't quite like it. I was dissatisfied and wonder what I could do.

So I grabbed another sheet of paper and started to make another one, which is the one on the right. This time I looked back to my old Chris Corona ~Colored~ drawing as my feature artwork on my deviantart page and realized I looked the more combed forward look to the top bangs as opposed to the upward spike bangs for the tops. And it hit me. This time I started drawing the lines of the hair and slowly got to the head where I widen it more. To give my OC that youthful look I'm going for, but not a narrow one that didn't look quite right. I kept some of the changes I did and used a similar drawing style to DBZ hair, like the Super Saiyan hair that Teen Gohan had as the front bangs for my OC to make it better. And I kept it as 5 bangs in front as I wanted the middle one to be between his brow.

To me, I hate exposing my character's forehead or brows a lot so I like to cover it up a lot which might have been part of the problem for me. Couldn't figure out how to make it work to cover it just the right amount and not make it look stiffed and unnatural.

After finishing it... it came out perfectly! THIS is the look I was looking for my OC! When I look back to my old colored version I made his pupils TOO big. I want a young teen look for him, but his eyes did sort of came out too strong and off. Here in this drawing, it came out just right. I used a manga as reference to see the space between the eyes and space from the eye to the ear as well as the rest of the face. I didn't do as many redraws here, but I was slowly sculpting it into what I envisioned my OC's face to be.

The eyes came out perfectly, not too big but not too small to show that young teen to adult look. The nose is right and the simple smile. I always had a rough time imaging my OC completely, but now I got it down right! This is what his face looks like and this is his final design for it. Which is why I wrote it down as "Final" and I do hope this is the FINAL design. I prefer the combed forward top bang mores as they feel more natural just right at home for him. Though the other look on the left could be used for another design or scene where his hair is blown back a bit. Not saying I will use it, but it will have it's notes used for future drawings.

My future drawings will reflect this new look and I'll be going back to updating that Sonic Mania YT Outro picture with the new hair. I'm glad I made this! Though I'm not a perfectionist I did take my time drawing all the little details on him, his hair, eyes, face to where I want it and I think I took from 3 - 5 hours just working on the Final Design alone! I really wanted this to come out just right.

Well now that I got my MAIN character done I need to work on the rest of my OCs for my original series as well. Oh boy... never enough time in the world, but I'll think of something. On the plus side seeing as my OC's sister, Arianna Corona, is sort like his twin in appearance I got her hairstyle down too except she has long wild hair. So the top and front bangs are the same, but her hair goes down to her hips. Should be fun.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! The expression between the left and right drawings of Chris were ideas for expressions he shows when he's either super serious or super angry and the look in his eyes terrifies his opponents. I can't recall what anime series I've seen that had a similar vibe I was going for with this... Fairy Tail maybe? Anyway when he does his only one of his eyes is visible as his bangs cover his face and darken part of it to show he serious he is in the situation. Thought it would be a neat thing to do.

Speaking of the hair, I tweaked the two spike tails on the bottom of the head from the last drawing. I made it more like in DBZ with the whole "far-off" hair connecting to the hair still like with Goku's hair and Caulifla's hair as well. It seems strange at first, but honestly I think it came out alright. I really love I got his design done just right and I can easily imagine him in all my stories now. His hair is mostly the problem.

I tried not to make his hair too generic, but I didn't want to overly complicate it and want with a simple design. Finally got it now.
Tell me what you think, any feedback would be most appreciative.

Until next time, this is VirusChris signing off! Sayanora my Nakama! Laters!

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #652 on: September 06, 2018, 04:53:25 AM
Gosh, has it been nearly over a year since my last post?

Anyway here's something I made in SAI within an hour and like your opinions guys!

For Corona's hair I made several design choices when I was looking at Goku's hair for inspiration and this was occurred to me. Out of the 4 designs which one do you think looks best on Corona?