Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Bueno Excelente · 3634

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: September 12, 2011, 12:00:34 PM
This game's like a wet dream for every single 40,000 fan. Bolters FEEL like Bolters. Slicing greenskins is satisfying as hell, and the lack of any kind of pansy cover system makes me moist. This is Warhammer as we've always imagined it, happening in the best of ways. Who's playing it? Or tried the demo?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0rn6fVGbPs&feature=related[/youtube]

The demo is AMAZING. In the more than 20 years 40,000 has existed, we're finally getting something approximate to how it feels.

Offline slayer

• War-Pig
  • Robot Master
  • Mavericks are for pussies...real men kill Aliens
    • View Profile
    • MY fan thingys , help me overcome my fear to show my draws please
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:40:00 PM
i `ve played the demo and is tasty...... owo.
old school mindless destruction with modern graphics...oh yeahhh
but i expected more gibs or decapitation with the chainsword......

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:43:05 PM
The executions have plenty of that later.

There is SO MUCH LOVE they have given to the scenarios. Clanks clanging and machines booming. Feels like my 40,000. Wish Chaos Marines were playable outside of multi, though.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
The demo is... amazing.
The demo is... also almost too much for my notebook, even on lowest setting.

But still pretty badass.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Archer

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:26:17 PM
My friend got the game and he said he'd lend it me when he was done.

From what I've seen though the game does look pretty damn awesome, so I'm looking forward to that.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:19:04 PM
The demo is... amazing.
The demo is... also almost too much for my notebook, even on lowest setting.

But still pretty badass.
Don't enter for the kill right away. This isn't Dynasty Warriors. See, Orks are simply big dumb frightful creatures. First, you've got to raise some chaos. Throw a few bolts into them when they're in a group. When they start running in all directions, cut through them in one single direction, until you get to the other side. Keep running, while shooting at them while walking backwards. Take out the riff-raff with a few shotty bolts. One or two will get away, alert the majority. When the big ones come, do NOT attack them directly. Dodge them while always shooting, and slice a few while they're distracted. Then, use your killing blow to recover your health.

And above all, do it for the Emperor.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:15 PM
And above all, do it for the Emperor.
On that subject...
I was never too much into Warhammer 40K. I have very little knowledge of it, and the only thing I do kinda know is that Space Marines fight for the God Emperor or something.
Will I be able to enjoy this game without knowing all this stuff about the universe? I mean, I am not even talking about the "plot" but more about the feel and all those "Warhammery" things they probably put into this.
Either way I'm gonna download the demo from steam later "today" and see how I like it. Still, I want to know what I wrote about above.
Thanks.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:13:54 PM
On that subject...
I was never too much into Warhammer 40K. I have very little knowledge of it, and the only thing I do kinda know is that Space Marines fight for the God Emperor or something.
Will I be able to enjoy this game without knowing all this stuff about the universe? I mean, I am not even talking about the "plot" but more about the feel and all those "Warhammery" things they probably put into this.
Either way I'm gonna download the demo from steam later "today" and see how I like it. Still, I want to know what I wrote about above.
Thanks.
This game is to Warhammer 40,000 what Batman: Arkham Asylum is to Batman.

You'll miss quite alot of references that would make a fan cream his pants, but aside from all that, it's an amazing, solid and magnificent game I'd recomend to anyone.

Matchmaking in multi is kinda meh, though.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:45:16 AM
Yeah, it's fun. A protip, don't play the multiplayer for too long, it can get tiring pretty quick. Speaking from experience here, although at least you guys will be able to stop playing if you want to.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:58:04 AM
You can say that about any game with multi. I find it pretty fun, and I've played countless matches with friends. The matchmaking's terribly broken, though.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 02:34:36 AM
You can say that about any game with multi. I find it pretty fun, and I've played countless matches with friends. The matchmaking's terribly broken, though.
Yeah, it's kind of flawed. Relic had a bit of a hard time with it. We tried to convince them to make dedicated servers available for the PC version, but no dice I'm afraid. The idea was shot down at some point for whatever reason.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 02:47:19 AM
Too bad. Dedicated servers are becoming less and less common among PC games. It's all P2P now.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 03:37:26 AM
I played the demo on my PS3. It definitely is really fun, but is there a hide/cover button? It might be nitpicky of me, but I can't help but feel like I need to take cover in the middle of gunfire. It feels a little awkward just rolling around the place trying to find somewhere to hide and restore health.

(Their suits look like Federal Ride Armors)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:40:30 AM
I played the demo on my PS3. It definitely is really fun, but is there a hide/cover button? It might be nitpicky of me, but I can't help but feel like I need to take cover in the middle of gunfire. It feels a little awkward just rolling around the place trying to find somewhere to hide and restore health.

(Their suits look like Federal Ride Armors)
NO. Space Marines are walking cover. They are the biggest badasses in the universe. Just take natural cover in stuff that isn't chest-high walls and learn how to dodge.

...and there's no health restoration. Just shield reload. You want health restoration? You have to perform executions on enemies, make them badass.

The game is all about having big balls.

Offline slayer

• War-Pig
  • Robot Master
  • Mavericks are for pussies...real men kill Aliens
    • View Profile
    • MY fan thingys , help me overcome my fear to show my draws please
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 03:32:53 PM
danm right..too bad they lost health a an incredible rate..... even with that bad ass armor...the things you discover when you dint care about the bolter and use chainsword in anything green 8D

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 08:41:08 PM
NO. Space Marines are walking cover. They are the biggest badasses in the universe. Just take natural cover in stuff that isn't chest-high walls and learn how to dodge.

...and there's no health restoration. Just shield reload. You want health restoration? You have to perform executions on enemies, make them badass.

The game is all about having big balls.

I didn't know taking cover was cowardly. Nothing wrong with a little Guerrilla Warfare strategies.

And health restoration is... health restoration. They're not that badass, British accents aside. 8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 09:07:32 PM
I didn't know taking cover was cowardly. Nothing wrong with a little Guerrilla Warfare strategies.

And health restoration is... health restoration. They're not that badass, British accents aside. 8D
We have ENOUGH peek-a-boo shooters where all you do is take cover and wait for the enemy to pop out his head. A few years ago, you restored health by killing enemies or using health packs, and you used cover by getting behind things. This is the same thing. Plus, Orks run at you while shooting, so no chance for something like that. You obviously don't know your 40k. Space Marines are among the most badass of all characters that ever walked through fiction.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:25:18 PM
You're right, I don't know much about this series. All I asked was a simple question, no one asked for your personal opinion.

You don't like "peek-a-boo" shooters? Fine. There's no harm in speculating one's ideas.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01:47 PM
You're right, I don't know much about this series. All I asked was a simple question, no one asked for your personal opinion.

You don't like "peek-a-boo" shooters? Fine. There's no harm in speculating one's ideas.
There is an OVERFLOW of cover-based shooters in the market, and every single game nowadays throws regenerative health into the mix just to make it easier on the players. I'll just reply with a video about a similar-mooded shooter coming out soon:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtEmAehhNT8&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 01:53:58 AM
Taking cover does not make a game "less hardcore". It can very well be as fun as the next game. Take the Uncharted series for example. Naughty Dog really knows how to mix motion-capture and live dialog along with seamless transitions from cutscene to gameplay without any problems. The incredibly realistic environments, which can even further be demonstrated in 2, use climbing and platforming mechanics mixed with cover-shooting action that immerses the player into the game.

Obviously, it's not an entirely realistic game, what with Drake climbing pillars and hinges through a [chameleon sting]ing -200 degree blizzard. But the point I'm trying to make is, taking cover adds a great sense of realism to a game. I use Uncharted as an example because it's the most true-to-realism shooter I know. I don't think a normal human being would run out in the middle of gunfire without getting capped a several dozen times. This is the realism Uncharted portrays. Taking cover, seeing where your enemies are, and planning who you are going to attack first. The latter becoming much more beneficial when you choose the "Crushing" difficulty setting. I can guarantee you right now, you will not make it out alive in the first Uncharted, if you just shoot whoever you want to shoot. The enemies are much more strategic and some even run right at you guns blazing, so you really have to know where and when to take action.

Believe it or not, there's (gasp!) strategy in taking cover, aiming properly and taking out first who would cause the most problems for you. I'll admit, It doesn't apply much to "Normal" mode, but when the difficulty spikes, It gets barbaric. The only problem I would say I had with the Uncharted games is that they're incredibly linear, but it fits appropriately with the platforming elements. There are a ton of more difficult cover-shooters than Uncharted, but the story, motion-capture and physical struggles that your character goes through make taking cover from open gunfire the only realistic option in this circumstance.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 02:48:06 AM
Taking cover does not make a game "less hardcore". It can very well be as fun as the next game. Take the Uncharted series for example. Naughty Dog really knows how to mix motion-capture and live dialog along with seamless transitions from cutscene to gameplay without any problems. The incredibly realistic environments, which can even further be demonstrated in 2, use climbing and platforming mechanics mixed with cover-shooting action that immerses the player into the game.

Obviously, it's not an entirely realistic game, what with Drake climbing pillars and hinges through a [chameleon sting]ing -200 degree blizzard. But the point I'm trying to make is, taking cover adds a great sense of realism to a game. I use Uncharted as an example because it's the most true-to-realism shooter I know. I don't think a normal human being would run out in the middle of gunfire without getting capped a several dozen times. This is the realism Uncharted portrays. Taking cover, seeing where your enemies are, and planning who you are going to attack first. The latter becoming much more beneficial when you choose the "Crushing" difficulty setting. I can guarantee you right now, you will not make it out alive in the first Uncharted, if you just shoot whoever you want to shoot. The enemies are much more strategic and some even run right at you guns blazing, so you really have to know where and when to take action.

Believe it or not, there's (gasp!) strategy in taking cover, aiming properly and taking out first who would cause the most problems for you. I'll admit, It doesn't apply much to "Normal" mode, but when the difficulty spikes, It gets barbaric. The only problem I would say I had with the Uncharted games is that they're incredibly linear, but it fits appropriately with the platforming elements. There are a ton of more difficult cover-shooters than Uncharted, but the story, motion-capture and physical struggles that your character goes through make taking cover from open gunfire the only realistic option in this circumstance.
And with all that, typical gameplay still comes down to peekabooing. Don't get me wrong. I like Uncharted, but when every single shooter starts obeying a sinble norm that makes it much less fast-paced and too reliant on chest-high walls, I start getting a bit tired of that mechanic. It was amazingly fun in Gears, and Uncharted is still quite good and fast-paced. But it wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense in Space Marine, where the very point, the very thing about Space Marines, is that they go berzerk in smooth and professional ways. Spartans of the fictional sci-fi age. The game's supposed to be played like a Dynasty Warriors where you tactically retreat a few meters sometimes in order to shoot some bolter rounds into a few greenskins, only to rampage back in and take out a couple with an execution.