Sonic and Knuckles 3D - Mushroom Hill Zone

HokutoNoBen · 14755

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
on: August 25, 2010, 05:47:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXycBv3Rlk

Gaze upon that which Sega will likely NEVER do themselves...  ;O;

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:49:25 AM
Before anyone says anything, let me put your hopes down.

It's just a 3D animation. This (unfortunately) is not a working game engine.

Feels bad, bro.

Offline Bloodedge

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:36 AM
I thought so but.... MAN! Think of the possibilities! The Death Egg! Mecha Sonic! Act 2 Boss of the Death Egg!

"To protect the world from Japanamation, To overthrough the Kaiba corporation,
To denounce the meaning of the original dub, to extend our reach to the world above,
Team Fourkids blast of at the speed of light, surrender now or prepare to fight,
Meowth that's right..."

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:58:36 AM
I love how this topic treats Sega like dirt by comparing a fan animated video to Sega's current games.  :W

I like the animation, though. Brings back non-faggy memories, I'm a neutral party when it comes to stuff like this. If Sega ever does a thing like this, it's back to the "graphic wars" where graphics mattered more than the gameplay.

I personally belive that games should be balanced upon gameplay and graphics anyway.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bloodedge

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:01:17 AM
I dun care! I just wanna play the game! XD

To denounce the meaning of the original dub, to extend our reach to the world above,
Team Fourkids blast of at the speed of light, surrender now or prepare to fight,
Meowth that's right..."

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:06:18 AM
Hot damn that looked nice.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:10:06 AM
I love how this topic treats Sega like dirt by comparing a fan animated video to Sega's current games.  :W

Easy to do when said video is able to invoke a more positive response via less than a minute's worth of footage, than Sonic 4: Episode 1 has done since the beginning of the year. 8D

Offline Bloodedge

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 06:10:55 AM
PB's avy is dancing slower than usual. o.o

I wonder if this animator did this with other 2D games.

Meowth that's right..."

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:15 AM
That made me jizz in my pants, actually.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:29:36 AM
Easy to do when said video is able to invoke a more positive response via less than a minute's worth of footage, than Sonic 4: Episode 1 has done since the beginning of the year. 8D

This, honestly... that looked just so damn fine... while from day 1, people were complaining about Sonic's physics and stuff in 4.

GOD DAMN IT SEGGAAAAA! OPEN YOUR EYEEEES! WE WANT THIS!

I thought so but.... MAN! Think of the possibilities! The Death Egg! Mecha Sonic! Act 2 Boss of the Death Egg!
Oh god. I always loved the S3K Mecha sonic BEST, out of all the robot sonics ever in the games- including Metal himself. Seeing him in 3D like that would be just sex.

MECHA SONIC FO LIFE
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/215/7/3/Mecha_Sonic_v2_0_by_SefirothDB.jpg

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 06:33:53 AM
I for one am not excited for Sonic 4 at all, mostly because there is no Steam release.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:00 AM
That was beautiful, especially the lighting effects above the halfpipe there. Extremely well done; SEGA could take a hint from this for future Sonic 4 content, if you ask me.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:22 AM
This does look really cool. But I say Sonic 4 can keep doing what its doing. Design wise there's nothing wrong with Sonic 4.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 08:35:59 AM
All I mean is retro stages ftw.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 08:42:23 AM

>Made by a fan
>NOT made by Dimps

You see how it's better already.

Only good Sonic game Dimps made was Advance 1. Rush was decent. Rush's music however, was [tornado fang]ing awesome.

In other news, I want Sonic 4. :v

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 10:37:04 AM

>Made by a fan
>NOT made by Dimps

You see how it's better already.

Only good Sonic game Dimps made was Advance 1. Rush was decent. Rush's music however, was [tornado fang]ing awesome.

In other news, I want Sonic 4. :v
They're still a decent developer, and we're lucky to have Sonic 4 in the first place. Sega's showing they care. Which has been rare for awhile.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 12:17:15 PM
That is just beautiful. Instant nostalgia.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 01:33:19 PM
All I know is that I want more Hyper Sonic. :<

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 03:07:40 PM
47 seconds of pure awesomeness

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 06:35:44 PM
They're still a decent developer, and we're lucky to have Sonic 4 in the first place. Sega's showing they care. Which has been rare for awhile.

"Sega's showing they care", my ass. If the best they can do to showcase that, is via announcing such things like how the universally-panned mine cart levels are removed, then it's still a thing where, at best, Iizuka and his posse are trying to answer a festering wound with a band-aid. At worst, they STILL don't give a [tornado fang] or otherwise know what they're doing.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 06:45:20 PM
"Sega's showing they care", my ass. If the best they can do to showcase that, is via announcing such things like how the universally-panned mine cart levels are removed, then it's still a thing where, at best, Iizuka and his posse are trying to answer a festering wound with a band-aid. At worst, they STILL don't give a [tornado fang] or otherwise know what they're doing.

Well how else can they care more? Yes, they're caring. If they didn't care, they'd just give us a ton of Wii shovelware in the most easily-fabricated way possible, reusing engines and assets as much as they can, because it SELLS. The way they've been working on Sonic 4 for so long, and even taking the time to fix the game after the fans criticized what was leaked shows that they're caring about what they're doing, and that they want Sonic to have some damn respect again from people. They're giving the game for Dimps to do, because they know how to do good 2D Sonic. And their work so far on Colors shows that they've listened to what fans said about Unleashed, and are trying to fix its flaws instead of making yet another gameplay transition.

Just because they don't automatically pump out a hand-drawn watercolor version of Sonic & Knuckles redrawn by a team of Italian Renaissance painters, or whatever the fans keep suggesting would be so damn easy for them to make, it doesn't mean they don't care. They've been listening to fans, they even know the Sonic Cycle. Let them work on things, and let's try what Sonic 4 is all about before criticizing it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 06:52:22 PM
Well how else can they care more? Yes, they're caring. If they didn't care, they'd just give us a ton of Wii shovelware in the most easily-fabricated way possible, reusing engines and assets as much as they can, because it SELLS. The way they've been working on Sonic 4 for so long, and even taking the time to fix the game after the fans criticized what was leaked shows that they're caring about what they're doing, and that they want Sonic to have some damn respect again from people. They're giving the game for Dimps to do, because they know how to do good 2D Sonic. And their work so far on Colors shows that they've listened to what fans said about Unleashed, and are trying to fix its flaws instead of making yet another gameplay transition.

Just because they don't automatically pump out a hand-drawn watercolor version of Sonic & Knuckles redrawn by a team of Italian Renaissance painters, or whatever the fans keep suggesting would be so damn easy for them to make, it doesn't mean they don't care. They've been listening to fans, they even know the Sonic Cycle. Let them work on things, and let's try what Sonic 4 is all about before criticizing it.
What he said^

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 07:53:40 PM

I think Ben's problem lies more with the physics of Sonic 4, rather than the artwork. From what I've seen regarding the reactions towards this video, people are upset not because the artwork is so beautiful compared to Sonic 4, but more because the guy who made this pretty much captured the correct physics pretty well.

That's just my guess anyway.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 08:07:31 PM
Well how else can they care more?

Well, let's see...

Sonic 4 is a game that should have, by all means, been an easy knock out of the park. You mention "Sonic 4" and you immediately draw comparisons to the original 16-bit anthology, and the good memories inspired by that much. For all that set-up, all Sega had to do was knock the pins down. The build up to the reveal of Sonic 4 footage (including appearances by PR manager, Mr. "Sonic-Cycle-is-dead" Ruby Eclipse) should have been able to do what the CG "proof of concept" posted above did, only more so, because of all the "hype" they were trying to generate.

Gee, what a surprise when they didn't do as such.

Then came the "leaking". I liked how some people, throughout the whole ordeal, actually wanted to say things to the effect of "Oh, poor Sega~!" and the like. Whatever, if the game was truly well made, a leak would have only served to be little more than FREE advertising for the game amongst the hardcore base that followed such exploits. Instead, it did anything but that.

So now, the name of the game is trying to go with this faux-apologetic "We're gonna get it right this time, we PROMISE~!" thing. I guess that's the new tag-line of choice, seeing how "We're taking him back to his ROOTS~!" has exhausted itself of all meaning. But you can bet that if the leak didn't happen, we would have gotten Sonic 4 as is (or was). The only thing that separates the more recent Sonic 4 episode of earlier this year from the 2006 disaster, is that, of course, Sega ALREADY made their money off of the latter. Here they were caught with their pants down before release, and they were left with either the choice to shape it up a bit to try and fix some of the glaring faults people saw through the leak, or just "quietly cancel" the title. Obviously, Iizuka and co. were still interested in the idea of trying to make money, so there you go.

But in the end, again, there's little to showcase that they actually "care". If they actually cared, things would have been different starting from the moment that "Sonic 4: Episode 1" was revealed. They had their "big chance" to show that they were turning over a new leaf, and they're likely never going to get such a thing again.

I think Ben's problem lies more with the physics of Sonic 4, rather than the artwork. From what I've seen regarding the reactions towards this video, people are upset not because the artwork is so beautiful compared to Sonic 4, but more because the guy who made this pretty much captured the correct physics pretty well.

That's just my guess anyway.

EXACTLY. I mean, the concept vid definitely is beautiful, but it's the way that the vid does more to showcase the kind of things that we should want to see from a game that calls itself "Sonic 4". The momentum is there. The level design is there. The reliance on an unnecessary game play element for this type of game (re: Homing Attack) is NOT there.

I hope Sega keeps on getting hammered with emails relating to this vid. If that's what it takes for them to finally take a hint...! 8D

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 08:27:53 PM
Because it's a video, not a working game engine. Working out the physics is not easy, especially when translating from 2D to 3D.

You know what Ben, it's not Sega that doesn't care, it's you who doesn't care. If you can't realize that them listening to fans' complaints and fixing the mistakes they made is a small sign of caring, especially considering 06 and other games were rushed out with myriad problems, you're just bitter and butthurt that it's not the game you want. If you want a "real" Sonic 4, go play Sonic and Knuckles. Cause a "real" Sonic 4 can never be made ever again. The Sega of today is not the Sega of yesteryear. Without the original team, you can't capture the same charm.

So either accept that this is not the Sonic we grew up with and stop comparing it to the older ones, or QUIT YER BITCHIN. You beat the horse to death, and he's out of continues.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.