AquaTeamV3 · 6800

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
on: October 25, 2009, 01:25:43 AM
Welcome to the 3rd topic in the 'Rate and Discuss' series!  The topic featured is an item that probably ranks among the most dangerous in Megaman's arsenal, the Arrow Shot!

The Arrow Shot is an item that can be made in Megaman 8, costing Megaman 5/40 of his bolts.  It was well worth it, though, and really made going through stages a lot easier.  When the item was equipped, Megaman's charged shot behaved a bit differently.  Instead of it's normal blue color, it became a gold-ish color, with an arrow-like effect.  The shot now spread out upon striking an enemy as well.

This is pretty much one of the best enhancements in the series, period.  The charged shot still retains it's normal damage, but fans out in a 6-way spread, hitting anything else behind your target.  Note that the scattered shots are just as powerful as the charged shot itself, so if you were to hit a larger enemy that would normally survive a regular charge shot, he would take the damage equivalent of 5 more charged shots in one strike.  Yeah, no enemy is going to survive this one.  Likewise, hitting a smaller enemy will most likely kill it and the extra shots will fan out and hit other enemies.  It should also be noted that this does in fact help to get past things such as Guard Joe's shield, as initial shot will strike the shield, and the spread shots will strike Joe himself, killing him.  The Laser Shot boasts this as well, but the Arrow shot just does it better; it even boasts the same level of effectiveness in taking down the Green Devil.

As far as bosses are concerned, the Arrow Shot doesn't really shine as much as it does normally.  Thanks to the Damage Barrier, bosses will not take the extra damage like a normal enemy would.  I should not that you can fire at the boxes during the penguin boss fight in Wily's first stage; the scattered shots can hit him, although this is a much more tedious way of taking it down.

Overall, this is pretty nice ability that's bordering on broken.  I find it absolutely odd that so many people prefer the Laser Shot over this, as there is much less coverage in terms of range.  As good as this item is, it really makes you wonder why Capcom couldn't come up with a better buster part for the Blade and Max Armors.  Had the Blade Armor (or Max Armor) had something like this, I'd probably use it more often.  At any rate, the Arrow Shot rates a perfect 10 from me!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:51:50 PM by Aqua »

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Skaarg

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:34 AM
The arrow shot is indeed an amazing power up. The only thing is I wish when it fans out the other 6 shots would have been weaker. It would have made more sense logically and from a balanced gameplay point of view.

>Mega Man Zero 4
>Ragnarok Core
>120 Seconds
FINAL DESTINATION

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:51:04 AM
Took the words out of my mouth.  The Arrow Shot is positively insane, first thing I pick up when I play MM8.

I think the people who prefer Laser Shot over Arrow Shot probably just chose Laser because of the name and never tried Arrow.  That's the only possible sense I can make of it, anyway.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:03:12 AM
I like the arrow shot too! It's great for when you're in the midst of a siege.

The 1st wily boss in MM8 is a bagworm btw...

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:31:40 AM
The arrow shot is indeed an amazing power up. The only thing is I wish when it fans out the other 6 shots would have been weaker. It would have made more sense logically and from a balanced gameplay point of view.

Yeah, the fact that a single enemy can potentially take the damage of 7 charge shots in one blast is pretty overpowered.  I have yet to see any enemy that can actually survive one of these.  I mean, Flash Bomb is pretty powerful in it's own right, but Arrow Shot is just broken.  MM8 isn't exactly the most difficult game in the series either, even without items.
The 1st wily boss in MM8 is a bagworm btw...

That actually makes a lot of sense.  :o  Looking at it now, I'm not sure why I always thought that thing was a penguin, especially if you compare it to those bagworm viruses in the BN series.

BTW, any requests for my next review?

My YouTube Channel

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:15:25 AM
Heh, I couldn't figure out which virus was being referenced by "looks like a bagworm" and "with the funny face".  So it is the hanging pinecone dudes that fire wood towers?

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:21:52 AM
I think the people who prefer Laser Shot over Arrow Shot probably just chose Laser because of the name and never tried Arrow.  That's the only possible sense I can make of it, anyway.

that's like the reverse for me x3
I love arrow shot, and to this day I don't think I ever tried laser.  I think my next playthrough I'll see what it's like~ ^^

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:33:00 AM
......I knew I did something wrong in MM8....The only thing I upgraded was the Slide.... '>.>

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 08:07:14 PM
I actually use the Laser shot. it pierces more times than the arrow. It goes right through and across the screen. PLUS ITS SHINY RAINBOW SPARKLY

I use Arrow too though.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 01:12:35 AM
Heh, I couldn't figure out which virus was being referenced by "looks like a bagworm" and "with the funny face".  So it is the hanging pinecone dudes that fire wood towers?

These?

I don't remember if they fired Wood Towers or not (I think they did), but they did give out the handy DropDown chip, which acted like a better Invis.

I actually use the Laser shot. it pierces more times than the arrow. It goes right through and across the screen. PLUS ITS SHINY RAINBOW SPARKLY

I remember it having a rather interesting sound effect as well...

My YouTube Channel

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 01:23:02 AM

These?

I don't remember if they fired Wood Towers or not (I think they did), but they did give out the handy DropDown chip, which acted like a better Invis.
Right, all three versions of that enemy fire woodtowers, but only the red ones can recover, which I guess is why some people consider them the strongest despite having less HP than the version that gives you Leaf Shield.  But why doesn't anybody in that game USE Leaf Shield?  It would have made sense for WoodMan...

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 01:25:42 AM
......I knew I did something wrong in MM8....The only thing I upgraded was the Slide.... '>.>
All I upgraded was how fast the Shot charges. After reading what the Arrow shot does though, I regret not getting it in my first (and only) playthrough. Now if only I hadn't deleted MM8 off my computer...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:32:34 AM

I remember it having a rather interesting sound effect as well...
Quite. Plus there was nothing quite as satisfying as firing at a shielded enemy and hearing the rapid PIIIIING and then a subsequent explosion.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.