Pokemon

Rockmon · 8150

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
on: November 29, 2008, 07:29:27 AM
Ok, I don't get it. How does pokemon last like 10 years with loads of games and a ton of seasons yet most people get poked fun at for liking it. How come Rockman doesn't get this kind of treatment (not the poking fun part)?

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 07:32:51 AM
Because kids are crazy about them and the Pokemon fanchise made a lot of cash with all the DVDs, cards, plush toys, games and game spin offs.  Plus some of the Megaman games don't get released in America like the cell phone game for Dash/Legends and the more than 20 Classic and Battle Network side games. 

EDIT: As for not liking it some people just either:

1. Think it's too childish.

2. They don't like video games.

3. They don't like RPGs

4. They just gave up after Johto or something.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:38:56 AM
damn you capcom for holding back all the good stuff that would have made rockman more successful

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:43:04 AM
damn you capcom for holding back all the good stuff that would have made rockman more successful
Again it takes money to do those kinds of things you know supply and demand and all that stuff, if there is too much supply and and too little demand they lose a lot of money and possibly the company itself, get bought out or something like that.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:44:26 AM

1. Think it's too childish.

2. They don't like video games.

3. They don't like RPGs

This, but I can't blame then for number 4, Johto was eternal x_x

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:46:35 AM
This, but I can't blame then for number 4, Johyo was eternal x_x
Yeah the anime went down hill after Johto and the american songs for the other seasons start to suck. (there is no need for lame raps!)

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 07:58:46 AM
I am one of those who gave up on Pokemon after Johto.  It wasn't just the anime that I gave up on, but the franchise itself.  The designs of some were looking more and more ridiculous, Team Rocket was forgotten (for a while, they were the only reason I watched the show!), Mewtwo was booted outta Super Smash Bros. and even though his whereabouts were hinted to in the intro of the post-Johto series, nothing more was done (kinda a shame as he was one of the more interesting Pokemon and had more dimension to his character than the others), and Lucario Pavarotti (or whatever that freak's name is) is ugly, has birthing hips, and replaced Mewtwo.

Yes.  I'm a Mewtwo fan.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 08:07:02 AM
Well, considering Mewtwo was never in the actual anime and had 2 full-length movies and a short one about him I'd think he had his fair amount of time in the spotlight. Also, considering Mewtwo is in Brawl's data, complete with victory music, I prefer to think that Lucario was meant to be his clone/Luigi/Ken, not his replacement.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 08:18:58 AM
Mewtwo also had a full-cast audio drama.  *has said full-cast audio drama.*

Even so, it would be nice if somewhere down the line, he has at least a brief cameo for just a "where is he now" thing.  Anywho, yeah the American songs suck.  I haven't heard any of the newer ones (don't plan to), but later Johto songs were getting blah, and if that was any indication to where the songs were headed, then I imagine they really, really bite.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 08:20:34 AM
I actually liked the American opening songs, but then Battle Frontier came along, and, well...

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 08:31:55 AM
Oh, I had nothing against the opening songs.  I have the first season opening stuck in my head currently.  Some of the in-show songs, though, were somewhat annoying in later seasons.  And the ugh-yuck pop songs they crammed into the English translation of the movies...  GAH.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 08:33:30 AM
I actually liked the American opening songs, but then Battle Frontier came along, and, well...
Yeah Battle Frotier killed everything in openings and voice acting. X(

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 08:36:29 AM
It's hard to believe the series was better with 4kids.

Oh, I had nothing against the opening songs.  I have the first season opening stuck in my head currently.
Not saying you did.

BTW, am I the only that enjoyed Pikachu's Jukebox?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 09:22:39 AM
The designs of some were looking more and more ridiculous

Oh, RB/GS had some pretty terrible designs too. Take Zubat, for example. It's a bat. It evolves into a bigger bat. Voltorb and Electrode are balls that shoot lightning. Mr Mime is some sort of a clown/mime hybrid, who fights by miming. Look at Diglett. It's a finger puppet sticking up out of the ground, which doesn't even have a proper evolution, it just evolves to be three Digletts stuck together. Same happens for Magnemite to Ton, and Koffing to Weezing.

I'm not saying the later games are any better (Honchkrow? A bird which is a mafia boss, complete with giant white beard!?), but it's not like they've really gotten any worse.

Also am I the only one here who prefers Lucario to Mewtwo? Mewtwo's ridiculously overpowered, s'no good. Luke's much better.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 09:43:29 AM
Ok, I don't get it. How does pokemon last like 10 years with loads of games and a ton of seasons yet most people get poked fun at for liking it. How come Rockman doesn't get this kind of treatment (not the poking fun part)?
2008 - 1995 = 10?

way to maths

Offline Successor

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 12:47:25 PM

*raises hand*

This is me.  I loved the first and second generation of games, but Ruby and Sapphire killed it for me.  I bought Diamond Version, but never play it.  I gave up on the anime around the Orange Island period.  I haven't played the more recent games lately to give any kind of thorough critique on them, but I felt that they weren't innovating enough and the quality of nearly everything (designs, worlds, attacks, characters, types, art) was going down.

As for being too childish, Pokemon is a surprisingly complex thing.  It's complex in that it is as complex as the player wants it to be, if that makes any sense.  You can go through the games playing like a numb skull, with your level 89 Charizard and your level 6 everything else, or you can pour more effort and brains into getting a well balanced and solid team.  For those that want to do serious strategizing, the option is definitely there, despite the childish guise.

Though I'm not nearly as big a fan as I used to be, I don't have any real beef with the series, so I do want to play my Diamond Version.  I just need to get around to it.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 01:27:34 PM
Remember when Battle Network was up there during the GBA times attracting all the collecting-RPG 12-year-old fans to the Megaman communities? I think if Capcom hadn't screwed up like hell, they would still keep coming. Think about it.

I dropped Pokemon after GSC. Some of the 2nd generation pokemon already felt very alien to me, but when RSE came out...huh. I may go back when Nintendo decides to drop that [tornado fang]ing stupid policy of not allowing you to catch all the previous gen pokemon so they can still bleed the money out of you with remakes.

20 Classic and Battle Network side games. 

>_>?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 02:06:34 PM
I may go back when Nintendo decides to drop that [tornado fang]ing stupid policy of not allowing you to catch all the previous gen pokemon so they can still bleed the money out of you with remakes.

I think the best part is the way they put in the GTS, making it far far easier to search for trades than ever before, and then restricted you to only searching for pokemon you've already seen. But hey, if you ever want to trade for a pokemon you already have, the GTS is there! You'll just need to bring a level 100 Mew or something.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 06:38:16 PM
I think the best part is the way they put in the GTS, making it far far easier to search for trades than ever before, and then restricted you to only searching for pokemon you've already seen. But hey, if you ever want to trade for a pokemon you already have, the GTS is there! You'll just need to bring a level 100 Mew or something.

That or bring a [chameleon sting]ing Darkai. (Any Lv, anyone would love a Darkai) those are widely popular. (Three games and two movies, WTF!?) I speculate that I gave up on the anime because it bored me all together with "WERAZZBLATIBFFAGOIAN!!" At least some of the spinoff are decent. (All battle, no plot)

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 07:14:14 PM
2008 - 1995 = 10?

way to maths
first off, I didn't say exactly 10. second, I thought it was '97

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 07:18:49 PM
1995 = Game (Japan)
1997 = Anime (Japan)
1998 = Game/Anime (English)

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 08:33:55 PM
Lucario Pavarotti (or whatever that freak's name is) is ugly, has birthing hips, and replaced Mewtwo.

Yes.  I'm a Mewtwo fan.

The fact that Lucario isn't even a LEGENDARY makes that even more insulting.

Count me as a Mewtwo fan as well. Especially when you pair him up with a "Nasty Plot+Baton Pass" Mew.  >BD

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 01:50:03 AM
Personally, I like Lucario better.

Mostly because you can knock him out easier in Pokeymans. One Earthquake usually ends it for the little bastard.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 05:06:09 PM
It's the GODDAMN Pokemon.

Seriously though, I don't feel the poking much here.
Maybe it's just that Pokemon is appealing and more openly appreciated here.

I still play the game (waiting for Platinum). I still watch the anime (So the rap opening is... >.>). I still collecting the trading cards (YES, MONEY WELL SPENT).
And I am proud of it.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 07:30:14 AM
Also am I the only one here who prefers Lucario to Mewtwo?
Yes.  But they don't have much in common beyond Aura Sphere.  The closer non-Uber match to Mewtwo would be Alakazam.

Also, considering Mewtwo is in Brawl's data, complete with victory music, I prefer to think that Lucario was meant to be his clone/Luigi/Ken, not his replacement.
No matter how many times I repeat this, SOMEBODY is always out of the loop, but I'll say it again:  In Smash, Lucario plays NOTHING like Mewtwo.

They share TWO comparable attacks, neutral B and forward smash A.  Every other move is unique.  In addition, Lucario in play style works nothing like Mewtwo, those who claim otherwise never bothered to actually play as Mewtwo in Melee.  Mewtwo was my 2nd main in Melee, and I played and enjoyed Lucario in SSE.  Lucario cannot in any way, shape, or form, be played in the same style as Mewtwo.  Mewtwo actually holds the advantage in the very few areas in which they are comparable, Lucario's strengths are unique to him.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)