Mega Man Unlimited

Yoku Man · 272644

Offline spd12

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #550 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:20 AM
I have to say, watching this game on Vixy's stream earlier, everything looked a lot slower than I remembered it being (watching them buster duel Glue Man successfully was really something, he felt too fast when I played but when watching her his speed didn't seem as bad somehow).

I guess a lot of things look/come off as a lot easier when you aren't the one actually playing, ha ha, but their relative mastery of the game within days of release is showing that most of it is still surmountable with some consistency once you know what that exact consistency, er, consists of (like moving a certain way, etc, etc). I'm still not entirely sure I understand the exact way you have to move to lure phase of the final boss in order to avoid a specific attack, even after watching, since I'm pretty sure I did the exact same thing but still got struck for it.

Rainbow Man's stage remains crazyville in terms of learning curve, but I think it's more overall a problem with just the very concept of Quick Man lasers where they're only doable once you know how (after who knows how many tries), but attempting to slow them down so that they take less tries to come to grips with kind of makes them lose meaning as a credible threat (as seen in a select few places of that stage where you can easily leave a screen and never see or hear a laser that is there), which is something I already went over.

I imagine Phil and company are stressed as all get out with all the scrutiny levied at them following years, so I'm hoping they don't take any of it too personally.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #551 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:56 AM
But X6 didn't bug me so much because I find myself far better at the X games than I am at classic titles.

Likewise MM9 is absolutely atrocious in my eyes as it just had so much that wasn't fun about it. The lack of something like the slide didn't help either.
That is true. With the X games by default you have more abilities at your disposal to survive. In this one not being able to chatrge your buster feels more like a handicap than 9. I will admit i like it less than 9 and if you dislike 9 this will not be fun. I think you made the right call in dodging it! XD Also just putting this out there, these bosses rely on collision damage in my experience with Mmu.

Offline thefallenalchemist

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #552 on: July 18, 2013, 03:55:19 AM
hated 9 with a passion, loved x6 (sans Gate stage 1 even though i liked the music a great deal) i think mmu is easier than 9.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #553 on: July 18, 2013, 09:52:08 PM
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play Megaman Unlimited (Part 2) - RainbowMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ8eqGvZDxk[/youtube][/spoiler]Phil answers some questions, addresses some upcoming changes, and plays through Rainbowman's stage.

... did people actually ask him if this can run on a console?  Seriously...?

Oh, and v1.02 has been released with, as predicted, minimal trivial bug fixes:
  • Fixed a bug where some users would not be able to see the game but could still hear the sounds
  • Fixed a problem preventing MegaMan from jumping after using CometDash
  • Potential fix for double KO glitch (dying at the same time as a boss)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #554 on: July 18, 2013, 10:44:38 PM
New difficulty mode announced :/

You know, people demanded a proper "Normal Mode"... calling it "Easy Mode" is such condescending bullcrap. It only perpetuates the game's core problem.

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #555 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:47 PM
New difficulty mode announced :/

You know, people demanded a proper "Normal Mode"... calling it "Easy Mode" is such condescending bullcrap. It only perpetuates the game's core problem.

Soon as it releases, I'll finish the game. Of course, it should be more like MM2:

Normal

Difficult

No "Easy" crap.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #556 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:01 PM
Of course, it should be more like MM2:

Normal

Difficult

Yes, exactly.

So, how about posting a topic at the Rockman Series section so we can discuss some of those story thingamabobs that were brought up earlier?

Offline Riffman81

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
    • MegaHaxx.com
Reply #557 on: July 18, 2013, 11:26:04 PM
I gotta say after 5 years I expected a lot more... seriously. I'll keep this short and sweet as to not echo the things that have already been said. This game could have benefited a lot from having a "public beta" test. Overall, it was an "ok" experience for me. 5 years and this is is the result... I guess i just don't get it?!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #558 on: July 18, 2013, 11:37:56 PM
I guess i just don't get it?!
Nobody does, Manriff.

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #559 on: July 18, 2013, 11:46:11 PM
Zan, just read "Timeline Of X" thread. You've answered all my questions.

Note To Self: Finish Command Mission.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #560 on: July 19, 2013, 01:01:49 AM
I guess i just don't get it?!
Maybe if we were more into Shampoo boobies we would understand.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #561 on: July 19, 2013, 02:07:55 AM
shamboobies

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #562 on: July 19, 2013, 02:14:53 AM
The boobies are a sham! 8D

Anyway, let's keep the topic confined to the game itself from now on.  If this derails into unrecognizability again, it will be locked.  Thanks.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #563 on: July 19, 2013, 02:24:52 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #564 on: July 19, 2013, 03:24:10 AM
Sorry i couldnt help it! XD
The boobies are a sham! 8D

Anyway, let's keep the topic confined to the game itself from now on.  If this derails into unrecognizability again, it will be locked.  Thanks.

Speaking of the game, now that i have played it a little longer (therefore knowing what to expect) ive had time to actually enjoy the music and graphics. With the exception of Yoku and Trinitro themes, most dont sound like a megaman game. But to me thats a good thong. While im not exactly humming along to them theyre very well done and are mostly (rainbow mans is awful) a joy to listen to and i like them a lot. Especially Tank Man which sounds similar in style to Double Dragon.

The graphics are nice as well for the most part. The only real error i noticed are the spikes in the 2nd fortress stage which partially obscure the tubes in the background. They're crisp and detailed but not too much. I especially enjoyed the look of the 1st fortress stage. The decrepid (spelling?) Look gives me this feeling of foreboding at first. Very nice. Then you have Rainbow Mans stage which is just, kind if there and rainbow-y. Just overall too dark for a guy all about colors. The background's awkward dark blue just makes it worse. I expected something more cheerful like Clown Man or Ring Man.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #565 on: July 19, 2013, 05:18:31 AM
http://www.destructoid.com/review-mega-man-unlimited-258027.phtml
9.5/10.  And they said Rockman 9 "held back".

Yyyyyeahno.  Thinking that review was a little slanted.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #566 on: July 19, 2013, 05:31:01 AM
9.5/10.  And they said Rockman 9 "held back".

Yyyyyeahno.  Thinking that review was a little slanted.

Agreed. They're both terrible games!

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #567 on: July 19, 2013, 12:52:14 PM
I dont personally find Mmu too be terrible. I just think it is a little disappointing is all. I feel like they rushed to get it done when the end goal was in sight resulting in oversights of simple errors and poor choices. The only thing about it in my eyes are the checkpoints. I guess the cutscene art as well but i dont play megaman for its story so i skip the cut scenes anyways haha. I mean as frustrating as the game can be t times there are momenets that i feel like im playing a genuine megaman game and those are great moments. Its not in anyway any kind of masterpiece but you know what? I didnt spend any money on it and they didnt even have to make it so the fact its actually a fully completed fan game still is a really nice treat.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #568 on: July 19, 2013, 02:19:37 PM
i finished the game this morning.

I dont think it was bad at all unlike alot of people here.
I thought it was pretty decent and alright.

I guess it's just because i've been so used to playing endless amounts of megaman rom hacks (japanese ones usually) for several years. So i didn't find myself fustrated or anything in any levels honestly.

I got through the yoku man level even, on my very first try, cause i started with 9 beat's and 9 spike guards.
Reached the boss doors with just only 2 spikes, and 3 beats remaining.
And 1 HP seriously. proof:
http://i.imgur.com/nAfmoNZ.png

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #569 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:48 PM
You hit a lot of spikes and fell in holes in Yokuman's stage?  I didn't have any trouble navigating that stage...  I think I hit some spikes once, but that was it for deaths (until I ran into Yokuman himself).  It's probably the most well-balanced and well-designed stage in the game.

Anyway, it's not even that the game is "bad", because it really isn't.  It's just that the game is relentless in its challenges and the levels are a tad bit longer than your average Rockman level.  The Wily stages in particular are marathons in and of themselves.

There's also an unreasonable amount of 4-wide jumps in a number of places 4-wide jumps have no business being.  I'm not talking about 4-wide jumps to secrets or items, like in Rainbowman's stage, either.  I'm talking about 4-wide gaps you have to cross in order to progress.

Is it a bad game?  No.  I said it before and I'll say it again: This is probably one of the better non-hack fan games out there.  However, it not only pulls no punches, but it kicks you while you're down as well.

Posted on: 2013-07-19, 10:02:23
Double post hooo~
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play Megaman Unlimited (Part 3) - TrinitroMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzF2K7GX8E0[/youtube][/spoiler]
Wherein Phil dies to his own boss twice and doesn't say much at all about the stage.  Though apparently, the nitro platforms had a much shorter fuse in development versions.

[spoiler=DEV Let's Play Megaman Unlimited (Part 4) - NailMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZ23dDOY90[/youtube][/spoiler]
Wherein Phil admits that a "nail shield" makes no sense and confirms my suspicions that the water section of Nailman's stage was, in fact, an arbitrary idea.  I shall adjust my complaints for that level accordingly.

Offline Smoke

• Net Navi
  • Screw the Mega Arm, I have green hair!
    • View Profile
Reply #570 on: July 20, 2013, 01:09:19 PM
Wherein Phil dies to his own boss twice and doesn't say much at all about the stage.  Though apparently, the nitro platforms had a much shorter fuse in development versions.
The first time he died against Trinitro Man was just, because he wanted to show what happens, when his head is damaged.

Wherein Phil admits that a "nail shield" makes no sense and confirms my suspicions that the water section of Nailman's stage was, in fact, an arbitrary idea.  I shall adjust my complaints for that level accordingly.
Because a Leaf Shield makes so much more sense.

I'm honestly surprised how much hate this game gets. It's obviously not perfect. I don't like some tunes, he tried to make a NES like game, but didn't pay attention to the NES limitations and the cutscene artworks aren't pretty good at all, but this game is still better then some of the original games. I really like the enemy ideas and I didn't have so much fun with a Mega Man game for a long time.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #571 on: July 20, 2013, 01:50:33 PM
I do believe MMU impressions will be more and more positive with time. The game has problems, but clearly Phil put a lot of thought and heart into it. There are many great ideas here.

I just hope they don't forget about the game's technical issues. The memory/CPU thing in particular, they really should work on that.

That said, "easy mode" is kind of a dick move.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #572 on: July 20, 2013, 02:09:41 PM
I do believe MMU impressions will be more and more positive with time. The game has problems, but clearly Phil put a lot of thought and heart into it. There are many great ideas here.

I just hope they don't forget about the game's technical issues. The memory/CPU thing in particular, they really should work on that.

That said, "easy mode" is kind of a dick move.
This is how i feel about it. Its like a strong whiskey. A bit off putting at first but after a few shots it gets a lot better.

Offline Zynk

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #573 on: July 20, 2013, 03:46:42 PM
the cutscene artworks aren't pretty good at all
I hate to say this, but this is one of my gripes with this game (eventhough its not significant gameplay issue, but I think in-game artworks gives games more appeal). And I also don't like the checkpoint placements. One of those is on Rainbowman's stage; the checkpoint should have been after defeating the pink devil mini-boss.  >^<

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #574 on: July 20, 2013, 03:51:47 PM
It is shocking how broken a base has been created by this game. I mentioned the reactions in this thread in a Skype chat, and they all think you're crazy for shitting on the game. They must be from the other side of the internet that see MMU as the second coming of God.

Me myself, from watching an entire playthrough, I'm in the middle about the game. It is a bit more difficult than it needs to be, the plot is samey and pandering, the memory usage is out of this world, and chemistry fail. But everything else seemed fine to me. The gimmicks in the stages were really creative. And I don't really care that it's not 100% faithful to the NES. That kind of stuff is nitpicking honestly.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.