The Official E3 2009 Discussion Thread & Lounge (May 30, 2009 - June 5, 2009)

Jericho · 176967

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Just makes us want to plan harder on an RPM get-together! owob

....maybe?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Okay, just got home.  LoL, I am STARVING right now, so I must go eat.  When I get back, expect PB's Final E3 3 Company Analysis, and reports/texts from our very own Ninja Lou!   8)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Q: What game have you played other than something you worked on that you found inspirational?

A: I did work on this for NES, but Will Wright's Sim City is something that had a big impact on me, Miyamoto says.

I think IGN made a typo, or someone forgot that Sim City came out for SNES. '>.>

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Mmmmmm food good.  Okay, since this will take a bit to write, I just wanted to bring up one quick thing...

Why did no one tell me about this yet?  B(

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I don't know if anyone notices it or not but...

Ah hell...

The final mystery Capcom game is Resident Evil PSP...
What a Dissapointment Capcom, seriosuly.
Oh well. Blue Bomber'l have to wait some more then.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
[tornado fang]ing DAMNIT WHERE'S MY ZELDA.
Yes there is a new Metroid and I creamed myself on how it looked...
BUT...BUT....
D:

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Until Zelda embraces steampunk and evolves out of its rut, the series is dead.

NSMB Wii seems to be gaining steam now. I do think Nintendo would have been better off showing single-player for a bit before breaking out multiplayer. Just showing multiplayer sent a lot of fear out through the interwebs.

Protip, Nintendo: SHOW Gameplay footage more, not sales figures. This isn't E3 from the last two years when that would fly more. This is the over-glorified spectacle where the Internet caves in and all hell breaks loose. At least try to wow people with the games.

(Spirit Tracks could so have been shown off instead of tossed aside if they weren't ranting about how much the Wii's sold or all this other nonsense. Could have opened up a good extra ten minutes by cutting most of that mindless masturbatory chattering.)

Sidenote: The one year out of the last six I don't explicitly ask for a Golden Sun DS and it happens... and then Camelot trolls the journalists by making the demo ridiculously short (Exit Isaac's house, cross a bridge, demo over.) Great stuff there!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Here is my Analysis of E3's Big Three Showcase Showdowns.  Be warned, it's long.  LoL, I don't expect it to be read fully!   8D

Until Zelda embraces steampunk and evolves out of its rut, the series is dead.

Didn't it sell like $4 million copies?  Not Wii Fit sales, but nothing to scoff at either.  I want steampunk Zelda too, but give me regular Zelda, and I'll be quite content.

Offline Kit

• Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Steampunk Zelda would be incredibly sexy.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
wow i missed some things. [tornado fang] yeah to the Koopalings. [tornado fang] yeah to new Wii Zelda. [tornado fang] yeah to Perfect Dark XBLA. meh to Kratos in the PSP Soul Calibur, as obvious a move that is. booh to PSPRE being the other mystery game.

now for a minireview of the big three shows. if you disagree, tough.

- Microsoft was worst in show imo. nothing really jumped out at me at all. anything in the show i do care about was only glanced over, or was left out of the show altogether (Perfect Dark, Hulu on Live). all the show was was M$ flaunting their money around.

- I would've originally said Sony was worst in show. it was really the same situation with Microsoft's show, just minus the money, plus an extra hour, and multiplying the amount of games by about 30. too bad barely any game was of my taste. LittleBigMarioKart was about the only one, really. and the PSP Go is doomed to fail. but the one reason the show wins over Microsoft was the people cheering whenever Hannah Montana was mentioned. that was [tornado fang]ing hilarious. also, the debut of FFXIV had me in absolute shock that they would pull such a stunt. i was literally repeatedly shouting at the TV "WHAT?!" but then we found out it was a MMO, and i went, "Oooooh, that makes sense."

- by far, Nintendo won the show for me. while some things in the other two shows made me go "hmm" or "ooh", and the things mentioned above, Nintendo was the only ones to actually make me go "Wow." and those wows quickly evolved into squeals of joy. two new Mario games, one of which featuring the one thing Sunshine had over Galaxy, and a Metroid being worked on by Tomonobu Itagaki. those three alone got more of a reaction out of me than anything else. especially M:OM. that was absolutely jawdropping. it blew everything else out of the water. it makes me completely forget about the Vitality Tracker.

semi-off topic, on G4's bumps when returning from commercial, at one point there was a woman cosplaying as Bayonetta. does anyone have a picture of this? cause HOLY [parasitic bomb] I WANT THAT.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Didn't it sell like $4 million copies?  Not Wii Fit sales, but nothing to scoff at either.  I want steampunk Zelda too, but give me regular Zelda, and I'll be quite content.
Of course it sold okay. Twilight Princess was probably one of two or three titles worth picking up on launch. A large chunk of its sales just came because it was a launch title. I'm just saying the series is falling flat in that it keeps trying to be Ocarina of Time again. Twilight Princess was especially guilty of this. The series needs a change from that. Some games can stay the same and still work well (Mega Man) but others just can't work for too long with out growing very stale. TP followed the same form of run across hyrule to go to an elementally themed dungeon, beat the boss, then go to the next themed dungeon until you get three some-odd items... then a plot-twist of some sort, then you have to go through the last six or so themed dungeons to reach the castle dungeon to fight Ganondorf while having to save Zelda's butt.

At their basic, OoT and TP... and even Wind Waker to an extent fall victim to this pattern. Only Majora's Mask broke the pattern for something that raises an eyebrow.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
if Zelda stays the same, people will complain. if Zelda changes things up, people will complain. it's a lose-lose situation. and in that case, it would seem Nintendo decides to keep what works. and i agree with that choice.

Don't Fix What Ain't Broken©

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
At their basic, OoT and TP... and even Wind Waker to an extent fall victim to this pattern. Only Majora's Mask broke the pattern for something that raises an eyebrow.

Very good points, but then I worry about the Zelda series becoming like the Star Fox series.  They have to walk a thin line between breathing new life into the series, and not totally screwing it up.  I mean, as long as it has puzzling solving dungeons and such, I will probably love it, regardless if it's similar or different from the classic Zelda formula. 

*In Gundam Wing voice* However, the one thing I will say is that by my logic, and possible Nintendphile way of thinking, every new system has offered a new type of Zelda type game.  SNES had Link to the Past.  While similar to the NES Zelda, it offered so much to the series in terms of story & music & weapons.  N64 had Ocarina of Time, and no need to bring up it's new way of Zelda-ing.  Gamecube had Wind Waker, which definitely took it in a different approach than OoT, in terms of exploration, mode of travel, and stylistic atmosphere.  Twilight Princess, essentially, was a Gamecube game WISELY made into a Wii game to help sell system.  Which was a good move.  So, we really haven't seen a TRUE Wii Zelda game yet.  I still have high hopes for next year's (or this year's Ninty conference) announcement about Zelda.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
But it IS broken. Twilight Princess was probably the most boring, hugely empty, non-challenging Zelda I've played with the most retarded shoe-horning of a villain (Ganon) that I've seen since Mega Man X6. There were huge expanses where literally nothing happened, items in dungeons had little to no use outside of the dungeon you got them in and those last few dungeons felt very uninspired... like they were rushed (I will happily say this doesn't seem so for that one dungeon in the sky where you get the double hook shot.)

There's not much excuse in trying to defend that. You KNOW there's a problem when the final boss of all people does as much or less damage than a Dark Nut.

Offline Kit

• Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
[tornado fang] yeah to the Koopalings.
So they're back?
Like Wendy O. and Ludwig von Koopa?
*ORGASM*

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
So they're back?
Like Wendy O. and Ludwig von Koopa?
*ORGASM*

Indeed!

But it IS broken. Twilight Princess was probably the most boring, hugely empty, non-challenging Zelda I've played with the most retarded shoe-horning of a villain (Ganon) that I've seen since Mega Man X6. There were huge expanses where literally nothing happened, items in dungeons had little to no use outside of the dungeon you got them in and those last few dungeons felt very uninspired... like they were rushed (I will happily say this doesn't seem so for that one dungeon in the sky where you get the double hook shot.)

I agree with the lack of challenge and the weapons.  However I thought the dungeons were pretty awesome and the boss fights were a fuckton of fun.  As I said though, TP was more of a GC game than a true Wii Zelda game. 

Posted on: June 03, 2009, 03:12:30 AM
Keeping with the Zelda part, I still think that Nintendo could truly benefit from a Legend of Zelda game with Playable Zelda.  I think they could really build an interesting game and story around her character, as much as around Link's.  The Wii would be a great platform for this, keeping with Zelda's Magic Missiles, as well as the Archery aspect, lovingly shown as [tornado fang]ing awesome via Wii Sports Resort.  I honestly want this as much as I do a Steampunk Zelda game.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Steampunk would be stupid, since that setting requires a pessimistic tone, and well Nintendo...
Steam technology should work fine though. Like trains.

SMG2 looks like it's already 5 times the game SMG was. I just hope it
A) has no water levels, and
B) less instant death traps. Health meter was pointless in SMG, extra lives were thrown out like candy...

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
LOL, so true, so true... XD *o*

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I love the last panel.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
I agree with the lack of challenge

this pisses me off. a lot. Twilight Princess isn't any more easy or difficult than Zeldas past. the only reason you think it's easier is because you've played the games for so long. you know their tricks, you know the formula. if you had never played a Zelda prior to TP, you probably won't think it's so easy.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
<a href="http://e3.gamespot.com/live.html?tag=content_nav;live">Darkside Chronicles in a few minutes ^^</a>

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
yay~ owo

And yay Lost Planet 2~

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah, I heard that the bosses would be enormous, but seeing that salamander, and then hearing he was one of the smallest bosses made me go O___O

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
I'm posting the game list again that Gamespot will show. ^^

- Lost Planet 2 (10:00 AM)
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (10:00 AM)
- Tekken 6 (11:00 AM)
- Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny (11:00 AM)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up (1:00 PM)
- Red Steel 2 (2:00 PM)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (3:00 PM)

You can see the Live Schedule on the right side of the stream too. :3

(c) Sky Child~