Nintendo Switch coming in March 2017

Protoman Blues · 40149

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 08:55:29 AM
Did it not? Someone want to pull sales figures? I know the PS2 won that generation but I at least think it was more well-received than the Xbox.

Console           Units sold
PlayStation 2       155 million (as of March 31, 2012)[26][27]
Xbox                   24 million (as of May 10, 2006)[8][9]
GameCube           22 million (as of September 30, 2010)[10]
Dreamcast           9.13 million (as of September 6, 2002)[11]

Barely lost to the Xbox.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: May 03, 2016, 09:02:55 AM
Yeah that is the only thing I feel a bit more confident in. Zelda U and Smash Complete are going to be system-sellers easily. If we get new F-Zero and new Metroid (although the latter I don't feel good about ;_;) then that'll seal the deal.

But I'm more concerned with the console lasting than it selling at launch.

Console           Units sold
PlayStation 2       155 million (as of March 31, 2012)[26][27]
Xbox                   24 million (as of May 10, 2006)[8][9]
GameCube           22 million (as of September 30, 2010)[10]
Dreamcast           9.13 million (as of September 6, 2002)[11]

Barely lost to the Xbox.

Hell. Guess I've been proven wrong about the GC's popularity.
I do still feel like NX would sell better taking some of it's design philosophies but damn. I really... Don't know how the Xbox outsold the GC. I guess Halo/Halo 2/Fable pushed units but I can't really think of anything else...?

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: May 03, 2016, 09:05:58 AM
They did promise a new Console Metroid when Federation was announced so I'm thinking that's close to launch.  I'm sure they learned from Other M and believe it or not Federation Force is actually pretty decent even if it has absolutely no hope of selling well.  It controls like the Prime Games, and I don't mean Hunters.

And yeah Gamecube was very niche, and keep in mind the 360 launched in 2005 while the Wii launched in 2006.  Even then the first Playstations still beat the Wii, and I'm sure the PS3 would have too if they didn't [tornado fang] up the launch so bad.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: May 03, 2016, 09:13:04 AM
Hunters was good though. :(

Wii was technically 2006. :^)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: May 03, 2016, 09:14:39 AM
Yeah I type faster than I think. -u-'

But yeah Federation Force does control like Prime according to somecallmejohnny, a Metroid nerd who tried it out at PAX Prime.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: May 03, 2016, 09:16:35 AM
Yeah Federation Force seems like the thing people hate on principle.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: May 03, 2016, 09:23:27 AM
To be fair if they had the Console Metroid Game they are making released first and Other M didn't do so many things wrong it probably just would have been whatever and maybe even a hidden gem depending on how good it is for the Single player campaign, PAX only had a demo of Multiplayer like how Tri Force Heroes was handled but you know at PAX.  I mean would think a game that expanded on the Galactic Federation would have been very interesting, even though Federation Force is certainly not the best way to go about that.

And honestly I don't think the plot of Other M on paper was that bad, on paper mind you, it's just the writing and execution really made it really terrible.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25:06 AM
Yeah, that could definitely have just been leftover hurt from Other M. It seems like an interesting game on paper but they just... Did so much wrong with it.

I definitely want Metroid to become Nintendo's Halo. Vast universe with lots of interesting lore and a more mature theme.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: May 03, 2016, 09:28:31 AM
Yeah probably the one thing that makes me not really interested in Metroid is the lack of plot besides Fusion, and by that I mean the non Prime Games.  Seriously we need a continuation of Fusion, and Mind Uploaded Adam being more awesome than he was alive. 8D

I will still try Super Metroid one day since that is just a good game period.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #59 on: May 03, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
You're right about the Gamecube's popularity, but unfortunately popularity =/= sales. It didn't sell well, but it is very well-loved.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: May 03, 2016, 10:44:46 AM
PS2 best <3

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: May 03, 2016, 10:46:47 AM
And the Gamecube was technically more powerful than the PS2, mini disks aside.  So yeah PS2 did not need high end specs to absolutely demolish everything, long run time or no.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: May 03, 2016, 10:49:47 AM
Yeah, specs-wise

Xbox > GCN > PS2

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #63 on: May 03, 2016, 11:08:32 AM
GCN version of Command Mission runs better than the PS2 version actually lol.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: May 03, 2016, 11:16:46 AM
As did Sonic Heroes on the GCN compared the PS2 version, thanks to whatever made the Gamecube more powerful.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #65 on: May 03, 2016, 07:41:45 PM
Yeah Federation Force seems like the thing people hate on principle.
It is.  Metroid game without Samus, not everyone can get over that.

Other M deserves far more credit than it gets, most people only hate it because it destroyed the player-projected images of Samus ranging from female Batman to bloodlusty psychopath who just happened to fall on the Pirates' bad side.  My only gripe with the story is that its pacing does not match the gameplay pacing.  That and the Ridley battle really should have called for a full-on flashback, more like the game's commercial.

Say what you want about story-based upgrade activation, the scene for the Gravity Suit was pure awesome.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: May 03, 2016, 08:01:36 PM
Like I said I don't think the plot and certain plot elements were bad on their own and having Samus suffer from PTSD makes a lot of sense to me, but I can't deny that the execution and especially the writing was really bad. 

I mean I don't really get why a certain loud portion of the Metroid fanbase are so obsessed with Samus being a badass stoic waifu all the time 24/7 365 days a year.  I don't think showing no vulnerability ever makes someone strong and in fact that kind of trivializes what strength actually is. It isn't about winning all the significant battles or being the best thing since sliced bread, that's insanely boring and honestly makes me laugh at how stupid that sounds.

What makes someone strong is admitting they are scared and vulnerable at times, showing that they are not infallible and invincible, showing that they are human not some wish fufilling fantasy of invincibleness and awesome.  What makes someone strong is having so much stacked against you and finding a way to overcome them, maybe not magically get over it but at least getting the Job done.  That's why I can appreciate someone like Cloud in Final Fantasy 7 before Advent Children [tornado fang]'d everything up because Sephiroth Villan Sueness just won't die.

Other M tried to do that and on an objective level it could have worked and on some levels it did, but the result was just not very entertaining and not even in a so bad it's hilarious way.   It was just bad, dull, and frankly very uninteresting.   

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #67 on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:18 PM
Personally I like the idea of Federation Force because we've known about the Federation for several games now, and it makes sense that they'd, you know, not rely on Samus for literally everything? Plus she appears in the game, it's not like she's completely absent. You just don't play as her.

I do find it funny though that people are hating on Kensuke Tanabe for coming up with this idea despite the fact that he's produced all previous Metroid Prime games which people love.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 12:34:57 AM
Other M deserves far more credit than it gets, most people only hate it because it destroyed the player-projected images of Samus ranging from female Batman to bloodlusty psychopath who just happened to fall on the Pirates' bad side.

I thought one of the main problems is that there are few/no charitable interpretations of most of Adam's actions towards Samus. Like, does the game even try to explain why he waited until Samus was on the verge of death-by-heatstroke to authorize use of her Varia suit? It makes him come across as callous, or that he foolishly overestimated Samus's endurance, at best.

That, and from what I understand, the presentation of Samus's vulnerable side didn't feel natural/wasn't handled well, what have you. I would have at least made it a bit more subtle.

As for Federation Force--I'm fine with it; looks like it could be a decent diversion.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 10:23:55 AM
My beef with Other M was the "authorisation" thing as a whole.

Samus, the independant bounty hunter, refuses to activate features that would help her in her mission until she gets the say-so from a man who has no direct authority over her? I get the whole "issues" thing, but really?

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 07:57:57 PM
Actually believe it or not the Authorization is the thing that makes the most sense.  Samus is essentially a walking WMD and has to work with a team, so she has to make sure they don't get blown up by her.  Not to mention while she is an 'Independent Bounty Hunter' most of her jobs are taken from the Federation anyway.  So when Adam sees her there and asks for her help he essentially hired her on the spot, becoming her temporary employer at the moment, so she has to play by his rules to make sure the mission is done and the team is safe.  Plus if I remember correctly the game mission started out as an investigation, so heavy weaponry would be a detriment to investigating things.

Now not activating the Varia suit in the Lava Zone was just all around stupid, I mean it's like Adam went to the bathroom and Samus not having the authorization just decided to bake until he came back, went holy [parasitic bomb], and told her to activate the Varia suit immediately.  I mean please don't tell me that he was talking to her in the Lava Zone before he authorized the Vaira suit because that head canon is the only way that situation would make any remote sense.  But seriously I really didn't understand why Samus didn't use common sense in that particular incident, it makes her look like a woman who can't think.  I mean this is really the only thing that makes the authorization not make sense.

But in the end the authorization is just the gameplay excuse for why Samus can't use all her weapons at once starting out.  Now whether this is better than having her suit glicth out due to being thrown at a wall is another story......

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: May 04, 2016, 09:13:13 PM
I've no desire to hijack this thread with a debate, but Samus shouldn't need anyone's say-so in order to do stuff. Why she didn't activate the Varia Suit herself is a question that continues to bug me, and the weapons? Why should Adam get to dictate what she can and can't use in a given situation. Is she incapable of judging for herself?

Anyway, rant over, let's get back on topic and I'm shutting up for good now.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 10:18:20 PM
She decides to follow Adam's orders because when she was younger she was a disrespectful brat, and she wants to make amends. Also what Sakura said sums it up very nicely.

As for the Varia Suit, the rising lava forced her into a dead end. There was no option of escape then. Prior to that she could just backtrack to a not ultraheated room. Also, the heat damage was nothing compared to previous games. Combine that with Concentration, Samus was not in that dire of straights.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:15 PM
Okay so even that made sense even if it was poorly executed like pretty everything in Other M in terms of the narrative.  Like I said I think what makes Other M suffer as a narrative is that things do make sense and it could be a good story but the writting and execution just drags it into the ground to the point that the end result is something that's completely trash.

Also to bring another point into this is that Bounty Hunters in most media are represented in very unealistic way to the point that what we think of Bounty Hunters is completely and utterly distorted.  Realistically if a Bounty Hunter doesn't follow orders to the letter at best they don't get paid or get reduced pay and at worst they would probably be put in jail.  A Bounty Hunter that is a loose cannon is not the norm and should not be the norm, the reason they are normally portrayed this way is because it's very entertaining for many reasons.

The best example of a somewhat accurate portrayal of Bounty Hunters is Cowboy Bebop.  The Bebop crew is normally so low on money and barely has enough to eat or keep up the maintenance of not only the Bebop but the other ships they have because they either [tornado fang] up their missions or Spike and Faye causes so much collateral damage that the cost of repairs has to come from their paychecks and since people normally live from paycheck to paycheck they almost never have spare money except for a few occasions.  Add to that Faye still has a debt to pay thanks to being screwed over by some con men, which also explains her major trust issues, and in order to get it paid faster she tries to Gamble, but her luck is so bad she always loses it.

Another thing about Bounty Hunters is that they are hired because of their reputation.  If a Bounty Hunter is known for doing things right then it makes people not want to hire them even if they are skilled.   This is also major part of why the views on Bounty Hunters is so distorted, loose cannons are inherently idealized when in reality they really shouldn't.   Bounty Hunters are like hired Contractors, if they don't do the job to the letter and do whatever the [tornado fang] they want they don't get paid by the person that hires them.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #74 on: May 05, 2016, 08:13:40 AM
Samus's status as a bounty hunter is only relevant in Other M insofar as she uses it to comfort people who are scared of the Galactic Federation.  She was not hired to investigate the Bottle Ship, she stumbled upon a GF operation and invited herself into it, because her gut told her that they were about to get in over their heads.

I think it's funny that everyone complains about Samus allegedly having no will of her own when working under Adam, when in fact Adam did not want her in the operation in the first place.  There is a lot of selective reasoning going on in Other M's criticisms.

My beef with Other M was the "authorisation" thing as a whole.

Samus, the independant bounty hunter, refuses to activate features that would help her in her mission until she gets the say-so from a man who has no direct authority over her? I get the whole "issues" thing, but really?
What Fusion told us: Samus took orders from Adam and trusts him, but dislikes taking orders in general.

Your complaint is a common one, but it's also ignorant of the game's presentation.  Do you know how many upgrades Samus de-activated when she decided to work for Adam?  Two: Bombs and Missiles.  She, of her own accord, turned everything else off before she knew Adam was anywhere near the Bottle Ship.  She also activates her gear at her own discretion (being rather snarky about it, I might add) when communication is cut off, AND she activates any new gear that she finds (Diffusion Beam and Seeker Missiles) immediately regardless of her communication status.

I see this as an X5 "don't get lazy and depend on the power of the armor" situation.  Same reason the escape sequence is played in the Zero Suit.  Samus is not just her suit, she is a Chozo-trained super-athlete who continuously keeps herself on her toes.  And with how often her gear gets stolen, disabled, or damaged, it's not as if she doesn't have good reason to.

I thought one of the main problems is that there are few/no charitable interpretations of most of Adam's actions towards Samus. Like, does the game even try to explain why he waited until Samus was on the verge of death-by-heatstroke to authorize use of her Varia suit? It makes him come across as callous, or that he foolishly overestimated Samus's endurance, at best.
The charitable interpretation is that Samus was pushing her luck; Adam did not direct her to that battle.  A big part of Other M's premise that everyone overlooks is that your primary mission is not to kill things, but to search for survivors, so the less hospitable an area is the less reason Samus should be there to begin with.  If you wanted to stretch it you could also say that there is strategic value to holding off on the Varia's activation since it comes with a full health restore.

I will admit that needing authorization for a purely defensive function is silly, as is splitting hairs between the GF Trooper's freeze guns and Samus's Ice Beam, but I see that as Adam running a tight ship, not an issue between Adam and Samus specifically.  Adam does care for Samus but he is an overall cold/ruthless character.  Again, well in line with what Fusion told us.

That, and from what I understand, the presentation of Samus's vulnerable side didn't feel natural/wasn't handled well, what have you. I would have at least made it a bit more subtle.
Most of the people who make that criticism don't want her to have a vulnerable side to begin with.  The dialogue is a little heavy, but it works a hell of a lot better than anything concerning Melissa.

You know what I liked?  The flashbacks about Adam's brother, when Samus was talking with Anthony.  Nobody really talks about that, but to me it was the best illustration of how Samus "grew up" after leaving the Galactic Federation.  She stuck to her ideals where others would have become more jaded with age, but she also learned to respect people who don't agree with her.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)