The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 730967

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3225 on: November 27, 2012, 11:41:24 AM
And speaking of Sonic, I had an interesting experience in the last hour.  I described it thusly:
Started playing Sonic CD on Steam.  Reveling in a sheer, absolute nostalgic bliss I haven't felt in years.  Enjoying the US soundtrack I grew up on to pieces.  Deftly avoiding time travel posts for my own personal amusement.  Got a hug from Amy Rose.  Reached the very top of Collision Chaos Zone.  Hate those freaking mantis robots.  Finally got a single Time Stone.

Stopped playing at Tidal Tempest, Act 1.  Had to.

Was suddenly overcome with a severe case of the fangirl squees from all the childhood memories.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3226 on: November 27, 2012, 07:59:03 PM
Continuing this Sonic discussion, last night I found a Shadow the Hedgehog ISO and decided to download it. I was always doubtful that Sega could get worse than Sonic 06. I was wrong.  :\

How is Sonic CD? I've only played the first two, Advance, and the Rush games in terms of 2D Sonic.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #3227 on: November 27, 2012, 08:09:22 PM
I've been replaying Mass Effect 3. I'm probably going to be picking up Omega when I get home tonight. I've also been playing a lot of Dragon Age II... I guess I'm on a bit of a BioWare kick? It's weird because most of this last month I've spent playing Skyrim. :\

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #3228 on: November 27, 2012, 08:11:02 PM
Continuing this Sonic discussion, last night I found a Shadow the Hedgehog ISO and decided to download it. I was always doubtful that Sega could get worse than Sonic 06. I was wrong.  :\

How is Sonic CD? I've only played the first two, Advance, and the Rush games in terms of 2D Sonic.

Good God, why the [tornado fang] didn't you post here before you downloaded it.?
I would have explained to you that SHtH is something you should avoid. And then your life would surely have been happier.
Fool.

Also, played SA2 PC. Despite the fact the game runs much better than on any emu, I still believe it [tornado fang]ing sucks and should have never been made.
SA/SADX was so much better, even despite its bugs. And fishing.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3229 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:20 PM
Also, played SA2 PC. Despite the fact the game runs much better than on any emu, I still believe it [tornado fang]ing sucks and should have never been made.

but then we wouldn't have emo the darkhog and tits the bat.

you can't honestly say that tits the bat isn't something of a halfway okay character.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3230 on: November 27, 2012, 09:24:28 PM
Tits aside she's actually not all that bad.

But like I said, I downloaded Emo the Darkhog just to see how bad it is. Storytime. When I was younger and saw the commercial for SHtH, I thought it was some sort of origin story game about Sonic's past.

I think that would've been cooler. :\

Offline Splash

• B-Class Hunter
  • Something here?
    • View Profile
Reply #3231 on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:09 PM
Cave Story.
For an indie game it's very addictive, polished and fun. I like fully upgraded knife. "Scorching Back" (theme from "Egg Corridor?" stage) is my favorite track in the game.

http://quickmaster-exe.deviantart.com/
I like to draw... NOT!
Seriously.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3232 on: November 27, 2012, 10:01:31 PM
Cave Story. Greatest retro game.

They're both rougher than a rusty razor, but I definitely enjoyed Sonic Adventure Dicks better than SA2. It's still pretty bad, but with enough vigorous polishing, it could've aged much better.

Also, I played some Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Dicks on Gameboy the other day. Quaint game, but ages like a fine wine. Reminds me of a transitional phase between Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past that isn't Adventure of Link.

Right now I'm playing some Mega Man Zicks. It's ... not bad. It just feels like a misguided sequel to Zero 4. The shitty mission structure ripped straight from Zero 1 gets in the way of the non-linear exploration aspect, which isn't that rewarding as is. The meat of the game--the levels--are actually pretty good, but everything in between feels ... plodding. I mean, you're free to run around and shoot/slash stuff, but there's really nothing to do other than collect those [tornado fang]ing fun data disks. The lack of flow and choppy fun just kill the game for me, and you couldn't have followed up the two decent intro stages worse than with the hide-and-go-seek bullshit in the residential district. Man, that's some hardcore guerilla hazing action right there: go duck under holes at the speed of molasses and find the trained Guardian troops who totally aren't babysitting you.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3233 on: November 28, 2012, 04:15:49 AM
Don't worry. ZXA's progression is way better.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3234 on: November 28, 2012, 05:25:24 AM
You know, it actually is. It makes me want to see a Zicks 3.

Archer

Reply #3235 on: November 28, 2012, 05:50:07 AM
You know, it actually is. It makes me want to see a Zicks 3.

too bad megaman is dead, huh

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3236 on: November 28, 2012, 03:27:24 PM
If there's one thing I learned from Mega Man/videogames/business, it's that death doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

STAR WARS IN 2015 GAIZ!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #3237 on: November 28, 2012, 04:35:46 PM
but then we wouldn't have emo the darkhog and tits the bat.

Wow.
It's [tornado fang]ing nothing.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3238 on: November 28, 2012, 05:34:38 PM
Wow.
It's [tornado fang]ing nothing.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3239 on: November 28, 2012, 09:47:18 PM
I don't know. I agree that SADX had the better plot but SA2B handles way better and has smoother level design. The biggest thing that turned me off from SADX was the clunky gameplay.

Guess that's just me though.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3240 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:04 PM
Yeah, but the SA2 levels are great as long as you're playing as either Shadow or Sonic. The game as a whole is frustratingly choppy when you have to get interrupted with Knuckles' & Tits' gem spike spelunking or Eggman & Tails clunky mech rider stages. No flow at all. If you could remove those four characters, SA2 would be more solid, but also more restricted than SADX. The latter has this great feeling of openness in both the hubs and the stages themselves, and controlling Sonic feels pretty good when you're not speeding and have a lot of room to run around in. Each stage has a good measure of those areas between speed stretches. SA2 progressed like a 2D Sonic game, and for a 3D game, felt a little more restricted than one.

Also [tornado fang] the rails.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3241 on: November 29, 2012, 12:11:01 AM
Yeah, every Sonic game has it's flaws. Aside from the classic 2D ones anyways. :/

Although personally, I like the Unleashed-onwards games myself. Specifically Colors. That was fun as [parasitic bomb].

Although, I have to say, the Rush games deserve way more love.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #3242 on: November 29, 2012, 06:24:27 AM
I think SA2 is 33% great. That's Sonic and Shadow. The rest of the game is not very fun to play IMO.

I bought Demon's Souls, couldn't resist! owo

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3243 on: November 29, 2012, 06:26:14 AM
I still love the Sonic CD US has a song that comes on to you!  8D

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3244 on: November 29, 2012, 04:29:47 PM
Yeah, every Sonic game has it's flaws. Aside from the classic 2D ones anyways. :/

Although personally, I like the Unleashed-onwards games myself. Specifically Colors. That was fun as [parasitic bomb].

Although, I have to say, the Rush games deserve way more love.

Nah. Sonic 1's pretty bad. Charming and original without a doubt, but not well designed overall. Sonic 2's much better. Sonic CD is the black sheep, but I love it. If there's one Sonic game I consider flawless, though, it's S3&K.

Colors was pretty amazing. It's got a lot of throw-away stages and much of the 3D gameplay is auto-played (but oh the colors!), but overall its the best 3D Sonic game I've ever played.

I don't really care much for the Rush games. I'm neither a fan of the charm, the story, nor the boost. Definitely not a fan of the sailing/jetskiing around in Rush Adventure. Colors DS was all right.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3245 on: November 30, 2012, 10:39:49 AM
Now playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PC)

Please don't lynch me.

I'm only in it because people say the SP campaign doesn't suck.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3246 on: November 30, 2012, 08:22:05 PM
Please don't lynch me.

You're just begging for replies with that, you know?

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3247 on: November 30, 2012, 08:25:14 PM
You're just begging for replies with that, you know?

That is the opposite of raging and for that I'm thankful.
I kid you not the last person I said this to got upset.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #3248 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:44 PM
That is the opposite of raging and for that I'm thankful.
I kid you not the last person I said this to got upset.
I AM UPSET
WHY YOU PLAY THIS

RAGE

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3249 on: November 30, 2012, 08:29:17 PM
But in all honesty, first impressions are not good. The first two missions alone are literally "ironsights ironsights ironsights knife the watermelon FINISH THIS IN UNDER NINETEEN SECONDS OR YOU SUCK" and "Follow us around and we'll handle the shooting".