Mega Man Unlimited

Yoku Man · 272545

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #600 on: July 25, 2013, 04:06:59 AM
As mentioned, Mega Man not being able to use his other buster in the escape is stupid.
And "I" have already mentioned that there's more than enough precedence for this.

Super Adventure: Utilizing two charged buster shots drains a ton of energy and causes overheating. Use of the double rock buster may risk death.
Smash Bros.: Special Weapons that use the two busters require heat venting.
Day of Sigma: Removing X's left buster completely disarms him.
X2: Two charge shots cannot be fired simultaneously, instead they have to be fired in succession.
X5: Zero is unable to use his buster (X2 design) if he lost it in the intro stage. He will however whip out a different buster in the ending cutscene (X3 design).
Iwamoto: X and Zero only use their left arm's buster. Any damage received to this weapon is permanent. They cannot resort to their right arm after trashing the left.

The only discrepancy is Ariga's Mega Mix, where Rock switches arms after being dismembered. This scene however takes place before the advent of the charge shot.
You know, I've been meaning to ask what the relevance here is.  Unless your argument is lopping off a forearm/an arm while its in Buster mode doesn't shut off the power flow or something, in which case, I still find the logic somewhat faulty.  There should be priority overrides and sub-routines for such an instance as dismemberment.  They're robots, not humans, after all; stopping the "bleeding" should be as easy as flipping off a light switch.
In addition, the boss weapons use an energy source completely independent of Rock's own Life Energy/solar cells, so being able to conjure up some Yoyo Cutters or whatnot and be on his merry way.

Now, you could counter that such an injury drains a [parasitic bomb]-ton of energy from the unit... but as evidenced in X5 and even Super Adventure Rockman, a little rest (and presumably some Life Energy capsules) can fix that.  Given the player can grab a bunch of Life Energy right outside the boss room exit and suffers no energy leakage, Rock should still have been able to use his other arm, even if his attacks were somewhat more limited.

You could also argue that Rock's Life Energy isn't tied to his weapon systems at all, so lopping his single arm off somehow just shuts everything off.  Which is a really stupid override.  But I wouldn't put it past Dr. Right to do something like that...

Offline thefallenalchemist

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #601 on: July 25, 2013, 05:12:44 AM
Finished the game with CE 6.0, which it's ridiculous that I had to use that even, but Wily Stage 3 shouldn't have even been considered. It's spike traps, gravity, yoku blocks and little else. I think Dr. Wily probably went over the budget for large triangular spikes (I'd have to assume they get delivered in crates, probably to Wily's warehouse right behind the castle) and didn't really have the money to fix twinkle-toes properly. I kept using tanks until I realized that I couldn't win and was up for hours trying to beat him.

So with infinite spike protection, beat calls, e cans, and w cans (we also found a way to get infinite nail shield usage, until it changed memory addresses on us, and infinite glue shot, but that broke the game - it really came off it's rails) I managed to actually enjoy the game. the plot works for me too. according to what zan said, it could work with the canon and made sense. Gotta test it first, right?

But the plot of Megaman 4 plus infinity was much better. At any rate, I enjoyed what I thought was fun and cast off the rest. The best part of the game was the ending, artwork pieces included. MMU won't revolutionize the series as much as a friend and I agree that a customizable (not just stealing weapons, but ripping off parts from other robot masters and being able to use them, like taking Jet Man's propulsion system and being able to fly around, for example; or taking Yoku Man's shoulder pieces because you like how they look) Megaman would. But we also discussed e cans and extra lives for the robot masters, since it seems unfair that Megaman only gets to use them.

At any rate, MMU succeeds in cheap kills and even an easy mode won't stop that. Remove most of the death traps, and the game might be fun then.

Again, Ninja Gaiden was tough and this comes from someone who actually owned and played the cartridge just as much as he rented mm games; but there weren't a million death drops and lots of spikes - you could also stick to walls. Granted, there were alot of death drops. lol.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #602 on: July 25, 2013, 11:13:47 PM
according to what zan said, it could work with the canon and made sense. Gotta test it first, right?

All in all, while there's nothing outright contradictory, the story is just incredibly redundant with titles such as R10, Power Battle and Power Fighters. That last minute implication of the second prototype Sigma Virus data leading toward X's mental prowess, is sort of interesting... I'm just not sure if the fan community needs further justification for the poor wording of MMZOCW's Three Keys...

You know, I've been meaning to ask what the relevance here is.

The relevance here is, first and foremost, that the series has depicted occurrences similar to the one Phil put in his fangame. As such, we know for sure that the issue isn't as simple as "just use the other arm", even in the absence of an official explanation. Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm willing to accept it's either a safety feature, or a system error.

...He 'should' re-enable Rush, though.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #603 on: July 26, 2013, 02:01:43 AM
My assumption was always maybe one arm was his buster the other is just an arm.
Besides you dont need it for the remainder of the game.
Its the smallest issue the game has if you ask me.

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #604 on: July 26, 2013, 02:17:38 AM
I agree. This issue is miniscule compared to the...

SPIKES AND HOLES!

Should have called it MMDT, for Megaman Death Trap.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #605 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:27 AM
...He 'should' re-enable Rush, though.

The last bit of the stage is easy enough without rush though, and you could justify it by assuming Megaman uses a communicator in his arm cannon to call rush when he needs him.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #606 on: July 26, 2013, 03:17:57 AM
The last bit of the stage is easy enough without rush though, and you could justify it by assuming Megaman uses a communicator in his arm cannon to call rush when he needs him.
Clearly theres a teleport signal block preventing Rush's aid.
Otherwise Megaman wouldnt have needed to escape the building by running.

Offline spd12

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #607 on: July 26, 2013, 04:00:54 AM
My thought is that every time he's calling Rush, Rush is going to the severed arm and thus he can't really reach Mega Man at the moment.

Could he run after him? Sure, but when's the last time you saw him do that in game?

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #608 on: July 26, 2013, 05:28:52 AM
Was it you that said that in the stream, or someone else?  Because it was funny then, and it's funny now.  XD

The relevance here is, first and foremost, that the series has depicted occurrences similar to the one Phil put in his fangame. As such, we know for sure that the issue isn't as simple as "just use the other arm", even in the absence of an official explanation. Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm willing to accept it's either a safety feature, or a system error.
Mm... okay!  I'm quite good with that speculation.  Bit of a glaring system flaw, but ya know...  He's a DRN module.  They all have flaws of some sort.  Except Roll.  And Rightot.  Rightot is perfect, dasu.

Clearly theres a teleport signal block preventing Rush's aid.
Otherwise Megaman wouldnt have needed to escape the building by running.
And yet, he has no problem summoning Eddie for items during the escape sequence.  Of course, that could be explained away by just being an oversight in the game itself rather than anything more "story-related".

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #609 on: July 26, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
Eddie is Russian and can do what he wants.

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #610 on: July 26, 2013, 05:20:44 PM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21441269

I want to share this video with everyone, i just saw this morning.
A japanese person doing a Speedrun / Time Attack of mm unlimited.

It's pretty darn awesome. :)
the Jet man battle is totally amazing how he does it. :) i watched that part literally 5 times over.
i wont spoil how it looks.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #611 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:21 PM
Rumors of the game's awfulness seem to have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #612 on: July 26, 2013, 08:17:14 PM
Ive yet to hear it called outright awful.
Just not very fun is the common complaint.
The only 2 awful things are most of the art and the checkpoints.
The rest of the game is mostly par for the course quality wise and being downright frustrating at times.
With better checkpoints it would be a lot less tedious and far more enjoyable.

Offline fifthindependent

• Pretentious Bastard
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Fifth Independent
Reply #613 on: July 26, 2013, 08:19:49 PM
I'm writing this hoping Phil sees it.  I know fans are impossible to control but he needs try to encourage his fans to stop harassing the MMR website by posting things like "boner man" over and over in the chat and saying MMU is best while MMR is garbage.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #614 on: July 26, 2013, 08:33:03 PM
Hah, there are fangame fanboys now? The internet never ceases to amuse...

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #615 on: July 26, 2013, 09:22:19 PM
Whatever idiot said Revolution is garbage needs to actually play the game for more than 30 seconds.

I played it for about five minutes, and I can honestly say that in that five minutes, it has proven itself to be just as good as Unlimited.  At a glance, it runs well, the physics and engine seem to be accurate, and you can play as more than one character!  My only complaint so far is one that's extremely common with games running on Clickteam cores: Palette cycling slows everything the futch down.  Luckily, ACE Spark and fifthindepedant found a solution to that, so v8.0 should fix that.

On the topic of comparing Unlimited to Revolution, though?  Apples to oranges.  The two games are both trying to be great Rockman fan games, but they both took vastly different approaches.  Revolution seems more in-line with the 6 and 8.5 while Unlimited went with 1/2/9 for difficulty and 3 for the engine, and the last four classic-series games in terms of storytelling.  Yes, there's some similarities, and yes, one likely outshines the other in various fields.  But you know what?  The fact of the matter is that both are good fan games and neither should be called "garbage".
That title should be reserved for Street Fighter x Mega Man.  :>

Offline fifthindependent

• Pretentious Bastard
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Fifth Independent
Reply #616 on: July 26, 2013, 09:34:21 PM
Yeah I didn't think Unlimited was garbage even though I gave it a relatively low score, because a 1/10 would have to be Action 52 and a 10/10 would be... I'm can't think of anything at this time.  Not even Dark Corners of the Earth would get a 10/10 from me even though I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to any horror game fans.  It had flaws in it that drop it to a 8/10 for me I spose.  MMU lost points with me mostly because of sheer difficulty since as I noted, it had some great ideas in it even if a few lost their welcome with me because of being used so much.  It has potential for improvement.  I should note I change that score to a 6/10 after seeing Yoku Man's stage due to how great it was implemented.

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #617 on: July 26, 2013, 10:37:48 PM
Again, MMR isn't garbage. Hell, it's managable. Haven't beaten the game yet because of some later final stage hijinks (that infernal arm, for instance) but it was a blast to play through in the beginning. And, at least there weren't spikes and holes everywhere. The difficulty had a proper curve.

Not all MM fan games need to be remniscent of rom hacks.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #618 on: July 29, 2013, 09:04:26 PM
I wasn't a fan of Revolution from my initial attempt, if only because I hated the Mega Buster Arm so much that it was enough to ruin the game for me, but the level design didn't strike me as particularly inspiring and some of the stage gimmicks (like the flying skulls in Ghost Man's stage) felt little like a Mega Man game to me.

As for Unlimited...well, I can say that I was a really really big fan of the game for the first seven stages I played (I'll let you guess which one was #8), but from there on it was all downhill.  Some minor balance issues in the other stages, but nothing quite so damaging to the game as its latter half.

Hate to be a spam loser, but I'm partway through a comprehensive review of the game currently, and am going to record my thoughts on Rainbow Man's stage in a few minutes, posted later in the week.  It's, uh...well, I can't really think of anything positive I have to say about it, but we'll see.  I actually disagree that the game, on a whole, relies too heavily on instant-death traps, and that the majority of my deaths in the first seven levels I played were from enemy damage, but, again...this game goes WAY downhill when you reach the Wily stages.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline kuja killer

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #619 on: August 01, 2013, 08:31:55 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21484423
part 2 of the megaman unlimited Time Attack / Speed Run.

The tricks in the glue man stage are freaking awesome.
I was amazed at how he gets through the "secret path" in glue man.. without ever needing any "spike guards" ... :)

he even does  "rush coil to rush jet" trick at the beginning of the secret path, which in megaman 10 is very difficult to do in real time.

Sorry i hope im not driving away the conversation from you guys or anything. :(

This speedrun is really exciting and fun to see. He's got every little possible detail about the entire mm unlimited memorized. :)

i've seen quite a few youtube videos of people trying speedruns of unlimited, and none of them compare to this japanese player's skills.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #620 on: August 03, 2013, 11:13:46 PM
Nah, you're not killing the conversation.  I'm pretty sure everyone who was interested in this and the other game kind of said all they care to at this point, is all.

Posted on: 2013-08-01, 04:10:58
This is noteworthy:
Quote from: Rockman Corner
Mega Man Unlimited Now on Mac; Easy Mode in the Works

For the Mac owners out there, you can now directly run Mega Man Unlimited in OS X thanks to the generous porting efforts of OneWeakness. Now you too can enjoy the bliss of dying over and over again!

Yeah, MMU can be pretty hard. Which brings us to another tidbit of news: MegaPhilX is currently working on a brand new Easy mode that will appear in a future balance update. Taking a page from Mega Man 10, this new mode will add safety blocks over some pits and spikes, add extra checkpoints in the castle Stages, and adjust the speed of certain obstacles (like those crazy lasers Rainbow Man's stage). For those who like the difficulty as is, the update will also bring a new challenge in the form of a one-hit death mode. Ooh la la!
Easy mode?  More like "pansy mode".  How condescending.  Then again Rockman Zero did the same dang thing if you failed the game hard enough.  >_>;;

Also, one-hit death mode was something Rokko-chan did, if I remember correctly.  But I think a couple ROM hacks also had that option?  I guess that's kind of neat...

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #621 on: August 04, 2013, 12:18:03 AM
Rockman ZERO did no such thing. It merely provided access to all the optional power ups those games had to offer.

Mega Phil X, on the other hand, is unwittingly condescending series veterans in his insistence that the current state of Mega Man Unlimited constitutes "normal" instead of "hard".

Offline Cherrykorock

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #622 on: August 04, 2013, 12:31:34 AM
He still hasn't grasped the fact that the difficulty stems from odd checkpoints, respawning mini bosses, OP minor enemies and engine glitches.
I want to like this game and this guy but, more bad decisions.
No one wants reduced difficulty.
Just manageble check points and bug fixes.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #623 on: August 04, 2013, 07:02:21 AM
Exactly. Phil has a misconception of what proper challenge is, and is unable to craft that into the game. As a result, the entire game's design is a mess.

Challenge by failed game design is not fun.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #624 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:01 AM
Rockman ZERO did no such thing. It merely provided access to all the optional power ups those games had to offer.
Are you sure?  I seem to recall going through Fairy Leviathan's stage with blocks over every single spike -- including her boss arena.  My rank was the lowest possible, but at the time, I didn't know why.

But yeah, either way, I don't see the current "easy mode" making the game too much easier.  I didn't hit spikes all that often.  I had more problems with, as has been stated, the huge gap between checkpoints and the bosses, myself.  Though Phil did say something about slowing down bosses and whatnot, so.