Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 657473

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4900 on: September 11, 2014, 11:13:07 PM
[spoiler]Everything is pretty rad but Dark Pit bothers the [tornado fang] out of me. I'm just having a really hard time seeing any justification to a literal palette swap as another character. Like, he even uses Pit's swords despite the differing weapons in their art. What irks me all the more is that meanwhile Ness has PK Freeze available as a custom move for those that miss Lucas, so what stopped any differences with Dark Pit or even Dr. Mario from existing as that instead? I really don't get it.[/spoiler]

The only reason is nepotism.

An idea about DLC. Could they be withholding characters until the Wii U version comes out? Like, maybe other characters took more time to make, so they were left out of 3DS for now and can have the kinks worked out in time for Wii U. Then when both versions are out and you unlock the other guys on Wii U you can link it to your 3DS and get them there too.

I've yet to see footage, but Lucina might be a blessing in disguise, because reports from the demo kiosk said Marth got the nerf bat hard.

[spoiler]You know what? Dr. Mario was better than vanilla Mario, and probably still is if not for no FLUDD. Dark Pit I don't know yet. I know his FS is different, but does he have Pit's normals too? Cause that's the real bummer about these clones. Having the same B moves as another character is one thing. But these guys to my knowledge have the same animations for their normals as the characters they're based on. Wolf and Lucas had completely different A moves from Fox/Falco and Ness. You can give the originals similar B moves through custom movesets. But you're not getting the A moves back.[/spoiler]

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #4901 on: September 12, 2014, 12:34:10 AM
[spoiler]I think it's somewhat early to rant about clones. I mean, sure it'd be nice if Ganondorf stopped doing Falcon Punches and Falco started calling his Arwing. It sucks to see veterans cut too. But clones development cost-wise are understandably cheap. I never really think of clones existing at the expense of another character, because original characters are a lot more expensive to produce. Also, even if their fundamental base are mostly the same, we've still yet to see if their custom moves are different.

Usually when I think of clones done right, I think of Fox and Falco in Melee. Same animations, but completely different properties leading to radically different playstyles. Characters like Dark Pit might actually be widely embraced in the future, if we're talking strictly mechanics and competitive viability.[/spoiler]

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4902 on: September 12, 2014, 03:35:03 AM
What's that WiiU icon on the menu for? Does it have any sort of function before the console version is out?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #4903 on: September 12, 2014, 04:19:27 AM
What's that WiiU icon on the menu for? Does it have any sort of function before the console version is out?

Presumably it'll let you transfer your Mii and player character customizations between the 3DS and Wii U versions. No one knows entirely, yet, and considering they made Smash Run sound like it was going to be online before it turned out local/CPU-only? Anything can happen.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4905 on: September 12, 2014, 07:11:30 PM
We're getting the Demo for Smash Bros on the 19th. Select Club Nintendo Platinum members will get the demo today.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4906 on: September 12, 2014, 07:16:45 PM
By select they obviously mean people who can log on and toss an intend to buy survey in.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4907 on: September 12, 2014, 07:22:44 PM
Don't they throw surveys into every game?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4908 on: September 12, 2014, 08:57:55 PM
Every first party game. Some third party games have them but not all of them.

I mean the intend to buy ones that go up before a game is released that give you 10 extra coins.

I got my codes, yay.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #4909 on: September 12, 2014, 09:15:09 PM

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #4910 on: September 12, 2014, 10:04:15 PM
Man, the net is going batshit over the demo codes, but I'll probably have to wait a whole week for a US one. Oh well.  v XD v

In other news, I spent an hour of boredom making this.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4911 on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:29 AM
Yeah, I'll basically be spending all week trying to convince myself that Club Nintendo doesn't hate me for some reason.  >.>
(never saw Smash Bros. in the "intend to buy" section; last game I filled out for that was Layton vs. Wright)

I saw some rumor flying around about linking to the WiiU version unlocking more characters.  Of course, the characters they gave were an obvious fanboy wishlist (you know the drill: Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, and Chorus Men who are now a popular pick for some reason).  Still, the method/marketing logic makes sense.

I am hoping they add something, if only to keep the excitement up for the WiiU version.  3DS and WiiU Smash will both be awesome regardless, but it really would be nice to have some decent surprises left for the WiiU version.  Some part of me doubts it'll happen at the game launch, but maybe as DLC later, like what they did with Mario Kart 8?

About the clones, I agree they don't truly come at anyone's expense since they're likely cheaper to produce.  Picking Falco over Wolf bugs me a little, though, not that I play the Star Fox characters that often, but Wolf did add more variety.  Falco may have different A attacks but he's still the same basic weight class/style as Fox; Wolf was not only a decidedly more "out there" style, he was also unusual in the grand scheme of Smash Bros. in being a heavyweight of relatively small size.  And, while I'm happy for PB and others who missed Dr. Mario, he logically could have been an alt skin with Mega Vitamins as a custom move.  Online restrictions are about the only reason NOT to do that.  I'll reserve judgement on Dark Pit until I actually get to play as him, but the knee-jerk reaction to him is understandable; he literally IS an alt color of Pit, design-wise.  The only thing I can imagine is that he's an excuse to expand the list of custom moves (God knows Uprising has enough weapons to choose from).  As for Lucina, "female Marth" is all the justification they need, really.  But I am curious as to how their attack range compares, since they seem to keep shortening Marth's reach.  I don't expect ANYONE to believe that the lack of tipping is favorable, but if Lucina actually has longer range as a tradeoff, that would make sense.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4912 on: September 13, 2014, 01:02:06 AM
......I forgot to fill those surveys for coins...

thank you all for reminding me! XDDD

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4913 on: September 13, 2014, 01:05:46 AM
It seems that you can unlock all the unlockable characters with play 120 matches if you don't want to use the alternate ways.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4914 on: September 13, 2014, 01:42:12 AM
Just got my feet wet with the demo.
Tried everybody out, Megaman most of all though.

Game's fun.

You know Color TV-Game 16? The assist trophy that's pong? Its controlled by the player who gets it.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4915 on: September 13, 2014, 02:07:46 AM
I just received 4 Smash codes in my e-mail. So, I'm giving away three of them.

Who wants to smash? Just let me know!

If you got Platinum status last year, I suggest you check your e-mail to see if you reecieved them.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4916 on: September 13, 2014, 02:19:02 AM
Oh I do, I do, I do!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4917 on: September 13, 2014, 02:19:32 AM
Hey Phi, who was it that said we wouldn't get the demo on an off-day? :P

Seriously though just got back from errands, which included downloading my demo. Gonna check it out, but I do plan on figuring out ROKKUMAN

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4918 on: September 13, 2014, 02:19:40 AM
I would like one.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4919 on: September 13, 2014, 02:23:23 AM
Alright, going to send out the PMs!

Hey Phi, who was it that said we wouldn't get the demo on an off-day? :P

Seriously though just got back from errands, which included downloading my demo. Gonna check it out, but I do plan on figuring out ROKKUMAN

Lucky guess. :P

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4920 on: September 13, 2014, 02:26:13 AM
So lucky I was right on both counts: getting the demo today AND finding out when it releases (next week for everyone else) >0<

[spoiler=Spoilery song for a spoilery stage]
Magicant / Eight Melodies (MOTHER) - Super Smash Bros. (3DS & Wii U) Music Extended

Also this is just <3 <3 <3 <3 <3[/spoiler]

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4921 on: September 13, 2014, 02:36:13 AM
I have extra codes too, obviously.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4922 on: September 13, 2014, 02:39:21 AM
I have extra codes too, obviously.

You're such a sweetheart for generously sharing them out.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4923 on: September 13, 2014, 02:51:10 AM
nobody asked.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4924 on: September 13, 2014, 02:53:45 AM
So what? You know how Smash-crazy everyone is here.

You can't just sit around and wait all the time. Take action.