League of Legends

Flame · 3565

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: June 23, 2011, 07:03:25 AM

Anyone play this game? Its based on the WoW Defense of the Ancients map for Warcraft 3, but it is it's own game., made by a comp. called Riot Games.

You fight in teams where you control a character yadda yadda, and try to destroy their nexus, a giant floaty crystal in the center of their base that spawns minions. It is guarded by turrets, and "inhibitors" which prevent the enemy nexus from making super minions. You have to destroy at least one inhibitor to damage the turrets right next to the nexus, and they respawn after a while.

Destroy the nexus, and the game ends.

You have a bunch of characters to choose from, although if you play free, you are confined to whatever characters are available for free that week. Otherwise, you can either buy Riot points, which you need much less of to unlock characters, or earn IP points through battles, saving up until you have enough to unlock the character, but it takes much longer, and much more points.

during the course of the game you try and kill as many of the enemy characters as you can, which can level you up quickly, and asist teammates and minions in destroying their [parasitic bomb].

Its a fun game.

Im still *sort of* new, (I started a while back, but stopped playing for a few months, and came back to a broken client which I had to reinstall) and have much to learn in terms of building my characters. (I sort of suck at it)

Thats another thing. you buy items to power yourself up with gold you get from killing minions or basically killing anything.

Anyone who plays and cares to add me, I go by KGMorder.

Riot also enjoys including nods to memes, pop culture and other videogames and such in their game.

so, anyone play?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:24:36 AM by Flame »

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:24:40 AM
I guess not. Oh well.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:31:42 AM
I tried it VERY long ago, it wasn't bad, but the match making system was stupidly awful back then, and I had no one to play with anyway, so I didn't enjoyed it as much as I wanted.

I also dislike the whole "1 new hero per week" like policy they have, it gets harder and harder to balance everything that way, and it shows (it did back then, and I'm sure it's worse now). The hero designs and the game style are awesome though, I check back on their site often to get cool wallpapers from there XD

They improved a lot of things from the old DotA game, and I'm sure it's really fun to play with friends, but for now I'm not planning on playing it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:44:15 AM
I tried it VERY long ago, it wasn't bad, but the match making system was stupidly awful back then,
it still is. its better, but the que after a certain amount of time, tosses your team with whoever.

They also find it easier to nerf characters as opposed to buffing others. Resulting in many characters becoming unplayable or forgotten.

They have LOTS of problems. Such as the points you get from playing matches. you can unlock heroes with enough points, but you have to save up large amounts. And recently, they have been raising the amounts and lowering the point gain. pretty much as a way to force players with limited patience into actually buying the characters. then theres other stuff- runes. they beef up your abilities. but you can ONLY get them with the in game points. you cant actually buy them. And they are overpriced, So couple that with the nerfed point gain,a nd the insane character point requirements, yeah...

but the game is fun. :P

Agreed though, the wallpapers are nice. Especially the chinese ones.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:12:02 PM
I haven't played in a while. So I'm totally rusty. But if I have some time later this weekend I'll try and play a bit.

Edit: I totally forgot - Can EU play with the US? I don't think that's possible.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:31:07 PM
I dont think so. They use different servers which dont interconnect with each other.

Too bad. I wouldve loved to play a game or two with you.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:15:40 AM
I'd actually bother installing it again if that were possible too :<

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:38:43 AM
I'd actually bother installing it again if that were possible too :<
it is. But it takes a fuckload of time. Enough time to have a cup of tea, go to the post office, and possibly catch your favorite afternoon show.

Also, you have to COMPLETELY Uninstall or delete whatever is left over of the program from the last install.

(A while ago after not having played for a while, when I decided to, my client broke during it's update, and I was forced to reinstall)

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 03:06:00 AM
So it IS possible? Acid told me something about it, I'll have to search how to do it and give this another try then.

I wouldn't mind getting back on the game if we get enough people to fill a whole room, the game is pretty fun with the right people, and there aren't many of those in the LoL community XD

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 03:07:01 AM
I assume most LoL players will migrate to DOTA2 anyway.

Let's hope all the sore losers and asshats leave.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 03:21:21 AM
based on the WoW Defense of the Ancients map for Warcraft 3

How did you slip WoW into that?

I tried to play this game once but subtank was taken, along with notsubtank and several other names.  I'm not using numbers.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:10:38 AM
Isnt DoTA a Warcraft thing?

Then use letters! SubtankXXX should be right up your alley. 8D

So it IS possible?

Of course it is. It's just really annoying to reinstall.

the game is pretty fun with the right people, and there aren't many of those in the LoL community
Let's hope all the sore losers and asshats leave.
LoL is full of assholes. And trolls as well.

BTW, for you guys that play or have played, What characters do you usually main as? Like, what are your main 3 champs?

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 08:31:02 AM
DotA is a Warcraft thing but it's not a World of Warcraft thing.

I like some of the LoL characters, so I might end up playing one day.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:57 AM
Heimerdinger.

Heimerdinger.

Heimerdinger.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 08:59:08 AM
I have never faced a Heimerdinger.

I usually main with Taric. He's really underrated. Otherwise Annie, and I'm learning Mordekaiser.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:57 AM
Heimer has turrets, which when fully upgraded can easily dominate a lane (with aid from an ally) and his other moves all complement each other nicely.

BTW, when I played I used my Gamecube controller. And was still kicking ass! ^.^

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Archer

Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:41:01 AM
BTW, when I played I used my Gamecube controller. And was still kicking ass! ^.^

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 11:05:48 AM
I didn't know this game was controller compatible.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 11:11:12 AM
It's not. I used Xpadder.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 02:33:39 PM

(On-topic:)
I made a US account, but didn't think about how big the installer would be. Still not played it yet, have to finish getting the latest update.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 03:27:30 PM
It takes foreeeeever.

I mean, when I procrastinate installing a program, you know theres a problem

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 03:37:56 PM
I got the installer from my ISPs gaming repository, but it was from April. I haven't had the heart to finish the launcher update just yet because it's a bit big for me at the moment with my quota, plus from when i tried, i was having bad speeds with their servers.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 04:11:19 PM
I don't wanna make an all new account!

I just got my Garen!

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 04:30:17 PM
Isnt DoTA a Warcraft thing?
WoW and WC3 are two different things :P
Of course it is. It's just really annoying to reinstall.
I wipped clean the game from my computer, and I don't think I bought anything I'd like to keep from my old account, so that isn't a problem.