Guitar Hero is dead.

Pikawil · 3855

Offline Pikawil

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: February 10, 2011, 06:48:41 PM
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=149775

At long last, Harmonix has won this years-long rivality. Unfortunenly for them, Kotick had the last laugh in making it very much a pyrrhic victory.

And unfortunenly for me, I fear that Activision will learn from the corpse of Guitar Hero to prevent a death to that.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:52:35 PM
Good God! YOUR AVATAR! I REMEMBER THAT THING! CHRIST!

As for Guitar Hero... I never gave a crap about it.
Kotick on the other hand...

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:26:46 PM
Good riddance? If they keep it up, Activision will be running other series into the ground as well.

Just to be clear, I can see why people would like Guitar Hero. I can also see why people would stop buying new releases after a new one being out as often as they've been coming out.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:05:54 PM
I have a message for Activision:

why.jpg

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:33 PM
All hail Rock Band!

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:21:26 AM
Yeah, Activision pretty much turned Guitar Hero into the Megaman of rhythm games.  Only not as successful.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 02:29:43 AM
Yeah, Activision pretty much turned Guitar Hero into the Megaman of rhythm games.  Only not as successful.
That's really an understatement.
Guitar Hero was destined to die, it had an unbelieved amount of games coming out at the same time not only that but with each game a new guitar bundle.
The games itself took little to no work and this planned seemed doomed to die after Guitar Hero 2.

Guitar Hero Arcade
Guitar Hero 5 Mobile
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits
DJ Hero
Band Hero
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Guitar Hero 5

And that's just from 2009. Sorry if this comes off as rage but I'm really really glad it's dead and that hopefully Activision will learn from this; and other companies as well.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:40:04 AM
So it has finally stopped.

Well back to DDR/stepmania.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Pikawil

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 03:07:42 AM
Well back to DDR/stepmania.
I have this silly thought that Konami, having been upstaged by the GH/RB war in the rhythm game market (have we forgotten about the less common silly accusations of the two ripping off Guitar Freaks and DrumMania?), waited in a cardboard box 'till both sides are at least severely crippled so that they could swoop back in and ensure that there can be only Bemani just like in the 90's and early 2000's. (Well, with Activision's damage to the market, this is pretty much a return to the first square unless Harmonix recovers fast.)

hopefully Activision will learn from this
Oh, I'd rather they don't so that COD may die a pitiful death as a mangled, violated corpse.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:23:53 AM
Seeing that Activision just signed Sledgehammer games onto to the COD franchise, along with the charred remains of Infinity Ward, it won´t be dying soon. There also have been rumors of Ghost from MaWa Duece getting his own spin off game. Maybe it´ll be some kind of Uncharted rip off.
But with three years to make a game, that theres plenty of time to think up of a new game.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:21:23 AM
Activision just loves to milk things for all their worth.  It's worse than Capcom.

As I recall, their reasoning for dropping Ghostbusters before Atari picked it up was that there wasn't enough potential to exploit the [tornado fang]ing thing as a yearly franchise.

Posted on: February 11, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Ah, here it is.

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said, and I quote, that the games they dropped when they bought out Vivendi "don't have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential."

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 02:41:24 AM
And yet practically every single other game company has been making casual games to make their money. Instead at least Activision is making their money on more gamer centric games.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:01:13 PM
And yet practically every single other game company has been making casual games to make their money. Instead at least Activision is making their money on more gamer centric games.

Well yeah, if you call college-age douchebags who suck [parasitic bomb] but talk smack on COD Gamers, then you can say Activision is doing just that.

Nope, Activision is a [tornado fang]ing farmer milking its last few dying cows, Guitar hero wasn't producing enough milk for them so they shot it straight through the skull.

I have nothing against COD, but calling it a gamer-centric game is highly questionable seeing how its just an excuse to pull out a million more WW2 and Vietnam FPS' with marginal difference between them and force you to pay $60 for a Multiplayer aspect that you already had in a different game with slightly different mechanics and weapons, with a tiny single-player mode to play for those who don't like multiplayer, if you bought it for Single-player, you wasted about $40 because it isn't long enough to a standalone game, an Expansion pack maybe, but not something to spend $60 on.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:38:22 PM
Relevant to Activision killing series.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_zhr9CntRIE[/youtube]

PS1 gamers will probably remember Spyro the Dragon. The originals were classic 3D platformers developed by Insomniac. The series has seen a wide variety of developers and has been on many platforms. In 2006, the series was rebooted from scratch with Legend of Spyro (which spanned 3 games). Legend of Spyro was rather unpopular. Now it looks like the series is being rebooted again, now with a new title- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. It's developed by Activision this time. Spyro himself is receiving a huge makeover in the reboot, as you can see from the screenshot above.

The new Spyro will be in an entirely new universe. Activision is enlisting the help of some Hollywood professionals for the new game as well. Tom Hester is handling character design (he designed the characters in the Shrek series. Alec Sokolow and Joel Cohen are doing the screenwriting (both of whom worked on Toy Story). They've also got Hans Zimmer to compose the soundtrack (Inception and numerous other movies)

But the truly unusual and unique part of this is that Activision is also preparing a unique interactive toy franchise for this Spyro reboot. Not unusual to have a line of toys for a video game of course, but it gets more complex. They want to create a long line of action figures, which are designed from "over 30 characters from the game". Not just content with simple toys though, they contain some sort of augmented reality for interacting with the game-

"When the game is running, players can put an action figure on a plastic "portal" or stand and watch the toys appear on their TV, and the toy becomes a moving character in the game for the player to control."

Apparently, there will be a lot of different playable characters, 31 is the current cited amount. They all have different abilities and moves. Spyro is said to have fire breath and horn charging, just like his classic incarnations. There will be a $70 starter pack which includes the video game, three toys, portal and trading cards. It is unsure whether there will be a cheaper more traditional packaging for the game for those who don't wish to get into the marketing spin they're trying to weave (but probably so).

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is releasing sometime in fall 2011. No specific date or gaming platform has been announced yet. Though one may assume 3DS at least is possible, with the augmented reality support. It may be multiplatform. Though it's all speculation at the moment regardless. The game is said to be formally announced at next week's International Toy Fair in New York (Feb 14-17). So you can expect some more information and media by then. Hopefully this will breath new life into the Spyro series and bring back some of the charm and fun of the originals.

Source 1
Source 2

Now they're reviving dead franchises just to kill them. D:

Also, GH was dead with World Tour, when it just became a Rock Band clone.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 12:02:14 AM
My god, that doesn't even look like Spyro anymore.. he.. he.. HE LOOKS LIE TOOTHLESS FROM HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON!! D:

BTW, wasn't this done already with Eye of Judgement, 'cept with C-A-R-D-S..?

My god Activision, get with the times or fade into gaming history. hrrg.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 12:08:10 AM
Sad thing is, when Activision was founded back in the 70s their philosophy was the complete opposite of Kotick's. I'm sure those Activision founders must be very sad to see their child go so wrong.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 02:03:04 AM
Well yeah, if you call college-age douchebags who suck [parasitic bomb] but talk smack on COD Gamers, then you can say Activision is doing just that.

Nope, Activision is a [tornado fang]ing farmer milking its last few dying cows, Guitar hero wasn't producing enough milk for them so they shot it straight through the skull.

I have nothing against COD, but calling it a gamer-centric game is highly questionable seeing how its just an excuse to pull out a million more WW2 and Vietnam FPS' with marginal difference between them and force you to pay $60 for a Multiplayer aspect that you already had in a different game with slightly different mechanics and weapons, with a tiny single-player mode to play for those who don't like multiplayer, if you bought it for Single-player, you wasted about $40 because it isn't long enough to a standalone game, an Expansion pack maybe, but not something to spend $60 on.
I hope you aren't talking about MaWa Deuce? The single player was great, but were you really going to buy a shooter for its single player aspect?
You can say that for pretty much every FPS, and I personally enjoyed the Spec-Ops mode, it was extremely enjoyable with a partner and most missions did rely on teamwork.

Sad thing is, when Activision was founded back in the 70s their philosophy was the complete opposite of Kotick's. I'm sure those Activision founders must be very sad to see their child go so wrong.
And Sega's purpose was to be edgier and cooler than Nintendo and now they work alongside in their consoles, Nintendo saved the games industry and now it's despise for creating the Wii, Xbox was made for "hardcore" gamers and now they flaunt Kinect with Dance Central being the only stand out game, Playstation 1 was wildly popular, beat out Nintendo in every single way and then it had a completely awful launch. Companies change, they change in order to gain more money, Activision wasn't going to gain much money by making text adventures every two to three years.

Offline Letty Whiterock

• #1 Homura Subaru Fanboy
  • Cyberelf
  • Oh my god, we're back again.
    • View Profile
    • This Is Not An Anime Blog!
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 02:27:04 AM
And nothing of value was lost. That's what happens when you saturate the market with garbage.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 03:24:35 AM
I hope you aren't talking about MaWa Deuce? The single player was great, but were you really going to buy a shooter for its single player aspect?
You can say that for pretty much every FPS, and I personally enjoyed the Spec-Ops mode, it was extremely enjoyable with a partner and most missions did rely on teamwork.
And Sega's purpose was to be edgier and cooler than Nintendo and now they work alongside in their consoles, Nintendo saved the games industry and now it's despise for creating the Wii, Xbox was made for "hardcore" gamers and now they flaunt Kinect with Dance Central being the only stand out game, Playstation 1 was wildly popular, beat out Nintendo in every single way and then it had a completely awful launch. Companies change, they change in order to gain more money, Activision wasn't going to gain much money by making text adventures every two to three years.

I've never played MW2 nor do I plan on it.

And some people do buy Shooters for the Single Player, I mean [parasitic bomb], Half-Life? TimeSplitters? METROID PRIME?

What I'm mainly complaining about is the fact that once a new game comes out (From COD4 to World at War to MW2 to Black Ops) You pretty much have to buy the new one in order to continue playing online because people migrate from playing the earlier to the newer, and thus if you tried playing COD4 nowadays you'd find the hardcore people who haven't moved on still playing, but hardly anybody else, and what if Activision just cancelled Online for the older releases to get people to buy the new one? That would be some serious bullshit.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 06:02:01 PM
But they won't, because people still play the older games. Heck even when World At War was out, people were still playing 4 even so they had a double exp weekend a year after it's release. But there are single player FPS that rely on good story. The main problem is that you ought to try the games in order to experience it for yourself. It's a shame that you don't want to play it, it's very entertaining. The thing I'm trying to say is the majority of FPS are based on Multiplayer and less story.
Warhawk doesn't even have a single player, it was released three years ago and it still has a healthy community. It will take a long long time for Activision to pull the plug on most of it's online games, so long as people still play it.
After all, if you buy the game on it's release and play it even up to the next game there won't be any problems for you taking on hardcore gamers.
Then again you could always try any Valve game.