Quick Question

Slash Man · 42108

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
on: March 01, 2009, 03:57:13 AM
Just wondering: would the Sega Saturn version of Mega Man 8 be uncanon because the other version was featured in the Anniversary Collection? I'm confused because in Mega Man 7, they were advertizing Cut Man's return, and even showed where he and Wood Man potentially broke out of the Robot Museum.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:59:31 AM
I dont know... after all, the saturn version was supposed to be the only version... I would consider those fights canon... but since they are bonus fights, im not sure... kind of like Omega in ZX.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:26:18 AM
Fighting CutMan again seems strange now because I thought the MegaRockMan 1 robots were supposed to have turned good after that game, but I guess there could be evil copies.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:34:46 AM
Well, he was SUPPOSED to be dormant in the Robot Museum. But at the same time Guts Man was stolen by Wily, Cut Man and Wood Man were also supposedly freed.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:26:12 AM
Fighting CutMan again seems strange now because I thought the MegaRockMan 1 robots were supposed to have turned good after that game, but I guess there could be evil copies.
that was the Manga... in the original Games, they were destroyed. their bodies were then fixed up and "stuffed" so to speak, and put in the robot museum.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:38:55 AM
But what about Super Adventure RockMan?  Did that game not happen?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:20:44 PM
Cutman: Hey Megaman, long time no see. You're looking sharper than before!
Megaman: Y... you're Cutman! Why are you here? Don't you remember what happened last time we fought?
Cutman: Shut up! I still remember that you defeated me a long time go! I want revenge!
Megaman: Cut that out! Cutman, we don't have to fight.
Cutman: I wont lose this time!

Woodman: I won't let you pass here, Megaman!
Megaman: Woodman! Are you still working for Wily?
Woodman: I'll defeat you this time. For Dr. Wily!
Megaman: Don't fight me Woodman. You have no chance to win.
Woodman: Let's do it! Get ready, Megaman!

would the Sega Saturn version of Mega Man 8 be uncanon because the other version was featured in the Anniversary Collection?

Why would the anniversary collection which was made in america by a third party determine what is canon in the japanese Capcom games?

that was the Manga... in the original Games, they were destroyed. their bodies were then fixed up and "stuffed" so to speak, and put in the robot museum.

No they weren't. Played Rockman Rockman, Battle and Chase and Super Adventure lately? Also see Rockman9.

Wily can just steal them again and again (CutMan, GutsMan) and others were always his to begin with (Woodman). He can also make copies or variations as he pleases (GutsMan) So, why is 8 so odd when the same things happened in every Rockman World game and in the Battle and Fighters games? Not to mention Super Adventure in which QuickMan can be killed, buried, only to be revived for the end of the game. The same thing happened to almost every other boss in the game, except for the burial part.

Just to note, Super Adventure actually has Wily with the brain chips for his first 16 DWN, the bodies were reconstructed by Ra Moon. By the end of the game they're all still with Wily (occurring before mm6). So where'd the ones in the MM7 Museum come from? If anything I'd say they're just lifeless shells.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 07:59:08 PM
Played Rockman Rockman, Battle and Chase and Super Adventure lately? Also see Rockman9.
actually, No I havnt. :P I dont have a PSP, never played Super adventure, and I have the X collection version of B&C. (the crappy version.)
but point taken.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:43:09 PM
So, why is 8 so odd when the same things happened in every Rockman World game and in the Battle and Fighters games?
I'm not saying they're more or less odd, just that I only started to notice the oddness of refights against the original team when I saw games like Super Adventure RockMan and MegaMan Powered Up show them on Dr. Right's side again.

But I suppose that in 8, CutMan could be like ProtoMan and simply enjoy dueling, even when it interrupts an important mission.

Why would the anniversary collection which was made in america by a third party determine what is canon in the japanese Capcom games?
Well, hey, a MegaRockMan game is a MegaRockMan game.  I don't separate continuities by region.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:53:47 PM
Well, hey, a MegaRockMan game is a MegaRockMan game.  I don't separate continuities by region.

It's not strictly region based. It's based on what is from the actual creators and what is from someone that is not them. It's simply because the original creators are from Capcom/Inti of Japan, no American exclusive material matters toward their story. The same can be said for even Japanese games not by Capcom/Inti. Those things would only matter if the original creators knew of their existence and began acknowledging them. Such was the case with Challenger from the future and MegaMission. Only the original creators can determine what is canon to new entries, nobody else.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 11:13:37 PM
Not if they pass the reins of the story onto someone else, though.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 11:42:39 PM
So [if the Saturn version is correct], Cutman was freed from the Robot Museum, still evil from when he was reprogrammed by Wily, then after he was beaten again, Dr. Light finally reprogrammed him, and he fought alongside Mega Man, with all his brothers. I guess Dr. Light didn't think Wily would want to steal his robots again.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:02:15 AM
So [if the Saturn version is correct], Cutman was freed from the Robot Museum, still evil from when he was reprogrammed by Wily, then after he was beaten again, Dr. Light finally reprogrammed him, and he fought alongside Mega Man, with all his brothers. I guess Dr. Light didn't think Wily would want to steal his robots again.

There's no proof CutMan was at the Robot Museum immediately prior to mm8, and the last time we saw CutMan he was a good guy. He could have been at the museum, he could just have been doing his job and gotten kidnapped.

CutMan is never seen again after MM8, except for his CD database entry.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:31:39 AM
Well, he did have that secret appearance in Megaman X8, if you want to try to explain that...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 02:00:01 AM
can simply be explained as past data.
or a non canon bonus. either way hes got no relevance there at all.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 02:15:22 AM
That past data always comes back to haunt you!!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 02:17:37 AM
of course! just loo at Casshern Zero.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 02:46:31 AM
You know I don't think this question turned out as quick as Slash Man was hoping.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 05:43:10 AM
You know I don't think this question turned out as quick as Slash Man was hoping.
The short version of the answer is "no."  MMAC used the PSX version just because it was easier.  Moreover, they're a third party .... they have about as much say in canon as any third party. 

FYI: they used the PSX versions of the NES games as well; this makes MM7 and the arcade games the only games they actually ported themselves.

Anyhow, I think you guys are overcomplicating things.  There can be more than one Cutman. 

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 05:45:13 AM
The MM9 manga doesn't help things, either.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 06:06:44 AM
FYI: they used the PSX versions of the NES games as well; this makes MM7 and the arcade games the only games they actually ported themselves.

I was about to ask if they might have ported this for the arcade games, but then I noticed the release date is a couple months later than the collection, so probably not.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 06:11:32 AM
I was about to ask if they might have ported this for the arcade games, but then I noticed the release date is a couple months later than the collection, so probably not.
Yeah, that version is actually better.  Since it has a "VS" mode and other options.  The AC version is pretty much a direct port of the arcade rom with "Free Play" selected.

Offline BaconMan

• Robot Master
  • Get Equipped With Bacon Slice
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 04:32:45 PM
You know... I always wondered, who besides Dr. Wily would think the idea of a "Robot Museum" is such a great idea, anyways? I mean, it takes everything Wily would need and puts it all in one convenient location. And ever since it's introduction in MM7, it's been nothing but a hotbed of trouble!

More to the point, I think MM8's reappearances allude to CutMan's original design, IE a lumberjack; and how it plays into WoodMan's creation. How else do you explain a Wood robot? They both appear in Power Battle/Fighters anyways, so whatever. (Honestly, the classic titles were far too "melodrama" to make any real sense. Every "story" was just an excuse to fight 8 more Robot Masters. Or in one case, 16. And the most recent's, 9 of them.)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 05:45:22 PM

Anyhow, I think you guys are overcomplicating things.  There can be more than one Cutman.

There being more than one CutMan IS overcomplicating things. Rock himself notes CutMan was once good, once evil, good again and evil now. Obviously Wily just manipulates these robots as he sees fit.

I think MM8's reappearances allude to CutMan's original design, IE a lumberjack; and how it plays into WoodMan's creation. How else do you explain a Wood robot?

There's no design relation between the two. Wily simply decided to built a robot made mostly out of wood based onhis own whims. CutMan's design relates to MetalMan's, not WoodMan's, hence, Metal Blade, which is akin to the wood-cutting tool Rolling Cutter, is very effective on WoodMan.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 10:32:44 PM
Well, he did have that secret appearance in Megaman X8, if you want to try to explain that...
What happened there was basically the same thing as Megaman Xtreme.
Well, my original question was sort of answered because I forgot the MMAC was made by a 3rd party. Now, the question has basically moved onto WHY Cut Man would return.
There's no proof CutMan was at the Robot Museum immediately prior to mm8, and the last time we saw CutMan he was a good guy. He could have been at the museum, he could just have been doing his job and gotten kidnapped.

CutMan is never seen again after MM8, except for his CD database entry.
Actually, I did a bit of assuming there, but after you look at this scene, don't you think it's the only logical explanation?

Now, I first  heard of this from the Mechanical Maniacs. One of the broken capsules belongs to Guts Man, but who did the other two belong to?
Well, another explanation of the story is thta Cut Man was just rebuilt by Wily. I guess that's what the newspaper in Mega Man 7 emplies when they use the term "Cutman 2."