Like dinos? Like Pokemon? Meet Nintendo's Fossil Fighters! Comes out 8/10.

Jazz Shaking · 6421

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdPriWGgJGA

Pokemon... Jurassic Park style!

New Trailer of Nintendo's new Fossil Fighters series. Comes out 8/10.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Oh yeah I saw a comercial for that today.  I don't know what to make of it.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
What this really needs is a catchy Jingle.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Actually this reminds me more of Spectrobes and Drangon Quest Monsters Joker more that Pokemon.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Okay Nintendo's take on Spectrobes then.

Hmmm... maybe some music from the demo released in the Nintendo Channel can remedy that. Two people's impressions of it. Though it's only the digging portion of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX4heVOw9Mk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5LsAg6IiD8&feature=related

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Hmm...
I'll stick to Pokemon.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Uhh.. I think there's one out called "Dinosaur King".. plus there's also a game with "Fossil Fighters/King" too. Only a matter of time when Universal Studios catches on with a Jurassic Park game that's not a platformer.. what's with the dino thing lately? is there at least ONE dino game that has Wifi yet?

I'll stick to Pokemon, Digimon, and Spectrobes then if this Dinosaur trend keeps going.. here we go again.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
 :'(

Awww. But it's Jurassic Park... if it actually worked instead of failing like in the movies.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
This game will surely kill Pokemon. Definitely.

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile

http://kotaku.com/5332425/why-did-nintendo-send-me-a-rock-in-the-mail

Video of Nintendo sending the game inside an actual rock as a gift to Kotaku. They also provide a chisel, and brush. Also of him chiseling the game out.

I've received a lot of peculiar things from Nintendo in the past: A DSi cake, a call from Mario, a box of candies, but this is the first that made me work to find out what it was.

Inside today's package was a large white rock with the words Fossil Fighters cut into its surface. Digging deeper into the shredded paper that filled the box I also found a chisel, a brush and a large piece of brown paper.

To work then.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Looks like unlike Dinosaur King, and Fossil King before it, ninty seems to take it wee literal here.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Has anyone else tried this game? It's pretty good.

On the tropical Vivosaur island, the Richmond archaeological foundation has built a fantastic resort. Using the brilliance of Dr. Diggums, they have developed a process to revive dead animals from fossil fragments. As a side-effect of this process, the dead animals are not complete copies of the creatures they originally were in life - they gain unusual appearances and best of all - superpowers. Vivosaur Island has become a playground for the rich where wealthy young dinosaur fanatics can revive extinct animals in the form of superpowered monsters and fight them against each other for glory and fame.

A (another!) Mons series from Nintendo, Fossil Fighters is a collection Mon RPG/paleontology sim for the DS. It is Nintendo's answer to Spectrobes and Dinosaur King.

The overworld is a lot like Custom Robo Arena. There is a single town that expands a bit as you play. There seems to be about 5 adventure fields that you revisit and that expand as you progress in the story as you get new items. At a dig site, you can fight NPCs, dig up Fossils, and go on story-related quests.

The gameplay flow consists of:
* Digging up a Fossil. Simple enough - use the radar to find the blips, hit the ground, and you get a fossil. Occasionally enemies will challenge you to a fight for a Fossil. Digging may get you a plain old rock (junk), a Gem Rock (sold for high value if cleaned), and one of four types of Fossil Rock (Head, Torso, Arms, Legs).

* Cleaning - a very intense minigame. You have about less than a minute to excavate the fossil. You get points for clearing away debris, and lose points for damaging the fossil. You only have one type of each Vivosaur in the game. Improvements on Fossil cleaning the same type of fossil add stats to already dug-up Vivosaurs. Completing Vivosaur skeletons unlocks new moves. Fossils that don't beat high scores are donated for points which can be exchanged for rare Fossil Parts.

* Battle - Battle plays a lot like a TCG. You have Fossil Points, which are you mana. You get a set ammount for each turn that you can build up for more powerful attacks, or spend on weaker attacks. There are four slots on the battle field - the leader, which does the most damage, can target all of the enemy slots except the escape slot, but also takes the most damage. Two support slots - they can target the leader, but not the enemy's support slots. Their damage taken is reduced, as well as their damage output (unless they're a ranged attacker like a flying Pterosaur-type or a charging Pachychepalasaurus type.) Each Vivosaur has 4 attacks that can be unlocked with each new piece of their skeleton. You gain levels via either battling or improving on excavating fossils. There's a simple elemental battle system in place, ala Pokemon. You can cause the Leader retreat to an escape zone for a few turns, which renders it unable to do anything, but it won't take any damage - and one of your Support Vivosaurs can be switched in.

The story is crap, the same old "Three Evil Goons want to steal monsters to commit crimes and you have to stop them and become a Vivosaur Master" that Pokemon has beaten into the ground, which is a shame because they could have had you fighting against evil humanoid Dinosaurs, or evil Cavemen, or time-traveling or anything more interesting. I'm told it gets better, though, and culminates with a fight against a giant robot in outerspace . . . somehow.

Oh, also, while you battle, two of the game's creators run commentary on the top screen that is VERY, VERY funny, don't miss it. They have some of the best dialogue I've ever seen in a videogame.

There's a shop where you can sell Jewels and fossil rocks to buy upgrades to your tools, but it's very, very expensive. There's also a museum mode that lets you view information on all the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals the Vivosaurs used to be.

All in all, I'm really loving this game, although I'm getting a bit tired of all of the T-Rex like carnivorous dinosaurs that dominate much of the early game. You'll find more carnivorous dinosaur parts early on than any other kind, which doesn't really make any sense (the prey should be more numerous than the predators) and all of the T-rex style dinosaurs like Shamshamsaurus (Sp?) kind of blur together.

All in all, a pretty good game and I'd really like to see a sequel with an expanded array of dinosaurs and more prehistoric and extinct creatures (I was a little dissapointed to find that you couldn't raise Trilobites, Anomalocaris, Dodos, or early hominids).

The battle system plays much more like the Pokemon TCG than the Pokemon video games, though.

I love extinct animals, though. I hope they continue this series and stuff in pretty much any animal that was ever in those "Walking With Prehistoric Animals" BBC CGI documentaries.

On the plus side, Andrewsarchus is in it. It is an ancient predatory mammal that is a relative of dolphins and was one of the largest terrestrial predators ever. And it had hooves. It was basically a dolphin-wolf-horse thing. Awesome.

Also, the writing, story, and dialogue are noticeably better than any of the Pokemon games (but it's still not exactly Final Fantasy or something).