Dreamcast Issues

Gotham Ranger · 1358

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
on: June 25, 2009, 05:50:52 AM
Tonight, I took my Dreamcast apart to clean it. It was looking grimey due to my sister leaving it on her floor when she borrowed it like 2 years back and I had never gotten around to it. The open button was also stuck, so I figured before I played Sonic Adventure 1, I may as well get it wiped down.

I was very delicate taking the machine apart. The only part that needed to be cleaned was was mainly the top half, so nothing was needed around the innards. I wiped it down, got all the funk and gunk off of it and before I put it back on I used a damp q-tip to rip down some bits on the bottom that had gunk on them (like the controller parts on the inside, nothing near the back).

After drying it, I put the machine back together and went to start it. It wouldn't turn on. I [tornado fang]'d with it a bit, turning it on then off, then removing the top carefully again and turning it on to see if anything was off. It worked fine, powered up. Except now, it takes me to the date screen and after about 2 seconds, the screen goes black and nothing happens.

Despite my best efforts, could there be some sort of water damage or if water did get inside, will it dry out and hopefully be fine? If not, whats causing it?

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24:11 PM
From my point of view, it's probably old. How old was it when you cleaned it's gutter?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 05:25:44 PM
Dreamcasts have a failure rate akin to that of the XBox 360.  I've seen three of the damn things die personally.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Emiri Landeel

• M i s s i n g   i n   a c t i o n
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Put your faith in me and I'll show ya.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:47:37 PM
^
^
I think it's not that much really.
I accept that it's somewhat versatile. But if you keep/maintain it well, it will works.

Judged by the symptom.
Maybe the bios has been damaged?

But seriously, I'd never do disassembly the DC by myself.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:32 PM
let it dry out for about a week and try again. if it doesn't work, BETTA CALL A DOCTA