The Official E3 2009 Discussion Thread & Lounge (May 30, 2009 - June 5, 2009)

Jericho · 176015

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
With the new game announcements
And everyone's prouncement "E3 is HERE!"
It's the fap-faptastic weekend of all
With those company greetings as well as competing,
With charts for you all
It's the fap-faptastic weekend of all

There'll be lots of liveblogging
Sad fanboyish ogling
And games that will make you say "Whoa"
There'll be some disappointment
And people who will vent how
E3 kicked ass long ago

There'll be some gamers gloating
And minds will be floating
When all the crowds cheer.

There'll be lots of liveblogging
Sad fanboyish ogling
And games that will make you say "Whoa"
There'll be some disappointment
And people who will vent how
E3 kicked ass long ago

There'll be some gamers gloating
And minds will be floating
When all the crowds cheer.
It's The Most Wonderful Time
It's The Most Wonderful Time

Lyrics courtesy of RPM's egomaniac parodist Protoman Blues!

Note From News Reporter Jelly

Welcome one, welcome all to the main event! I'll be your humble nerd host today as we take one last bit of time this weekend to get ready for what a lot of people have described to be the true return to form for the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3 for short. In this short amount of time, news from all over the gaming spectrum will be shown off and much to the delight of many salivating gamers the majority of it will be coming in the form of new and previously unheard of developments. What sort of things do we have to look forward to you ask? Don't ask me that, just stick around and see for yourselves!

As is the now tradition of my RPM mega threads, I'll be continuously monitoring things and updating sections as news breaks out from the various facets. I will ask for member help (mods too) in terms of keeping things running smoothly in terms of the relay of info, because hey, I still have IRL things to deal with as well. Hopefully nothing will get in the way, but if I have to take a leave for a bit, I leave it all in your hands. (Viewtiful Ben, Taiyo, PB, & Vixy, since you guys are the ones that frequently get involved with these threads, that's your shout out.)

Final notes from me on this all: we all know that the info will be dissected many different times in the post E3 days or even during the announcements. I'd like it if anyone who feels like a separate thread is required, no mandatory for a specific announcement would please leave a link to said thread in here so I can create a link archive on this OP post. Thanks for your cooperation. The second bit of info is more of a general warning. Console and brand warriors, please do not take the opportunity to oust yourselves as such as there will be consequences and we will laugh at you. RPM has been incredible in regards to this though as I doubt I've ever seen fanboys/gals of the bad kind posting flame bait around these parts. Everyone gets along so well, still this must be said. Now then with that all said, it's time for RPM to do what it does best and sit back, crack jokes, relax, and enjoy yourselves. 8)

White Hot Updates (Shamelessly stolen from GAF for Convienience)

KEY:

L = Link to an article
Lo = Logo
I = Image
In = Interview
B = Boxart
A = Artwork
P = Press release
V = Video
W = Official website link
T = Thread Discussion
Tw = Twitter

Company Announcements

● Sony will be announcing at least one "fresh new title" for PS3 at E3. We didn't already know this? (T, Tw)
● SEGA's E3 2009 Lineup has been confirmed. (P, T)
● Microsoft has made Zune HD official. It can provide a "game-changing experience" that will be shown off at E3. (L, I, T)
● Electronic Arts have revealed their lineup for E3 and it is MASSIVE. (L, T)
● Square-Enix unveils their E3 lineup. (P, T)
● An enormous Pre-E3 Sony leak: PSP Go, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear for PSP, Slim PS3. (T)
● Pre-E3 Leak: Ubisoft spills quick Splinter Cell Conviction and Assassin's Creed 2 trailers. (L / V, T)
● XSEED Games confirms their E3 2009 lineup. (P / T)

PlayStation 3

● Early internal test footage of the long-awaited Project TRICO leaks onto the internet. (L, V, T)
● Pixeljunk 1-4 has officially been named Pixeljunk Shooter. (L / P, Lo, I, A, W, T)
● EA's cooperative shooter Army of Two: The 40th Day has new media for consumption. (T, I, V)
● Platinum Games' Bayonetta has plenty of T&A to go along with your Kamiya badassery. (V)
● Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain has been illuminated in the latest feature at gametrailers. (V, T)
● Natsume is bringing over the "photography simulator" Afrika to America. (P, L)
● The E3 White Knight Chronicles Trailer! (V)
● Bethesda announced Brink from Splash Damage! (L / V, T)
● The Tekken 6 E3 Trailer! (V)
● Sega has announced Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. Oh boy. (L, P, W, T)
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time Gameplay Trailer! (V, T)
Final Fantasy VII coming to PSN as a PSOne Classic! (L)
Gran Turismo 5 announced! (V, T)
● The God of War 3 demo is amazing. (L)
Final Fantasy XIV announced! PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! (W, V, I / T)
Project Trico officially shown, called The Last Guardian. Looks absolutely stunning. (T, P)
● A huge blowout of Sony PS3 news: Motion Control, Rockstar PS3 Project Revealed: Agent, Mod Nation Racers Shown, AC 2 Connectivity, MAG is still massive. (L)

PlayStation Portable

● An enormous Pre-E3 Sony leak: PSP Go, Gran Turismo PSP and Metal Gear PSP. (T)
● LucasArts officially announced Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron for Nintendo DS and PSP. (L, I, W)
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe coming to PSP in Q3 2009! (L)
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest is coming in Autumn 2009. (L, T)
● Some official PSP Go images have leaked. It's pretty gorgeous. (L / I)
● The early June 2009 Qore that leaked which has an in-depth PSP Go segment and the first LittleBigPlanet PSP footage. (V)
Final Fantasy VII coming to PSN as a PSOne Classic! (L)
● PSP Go officially announced for 249.99. (T)
Invizimals, a camera add on that acts like the PSEye, for PSP. (L / I, V, T)
● An massive blowout of Sony PSP news: New Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil PSP Titles, Assassin's Creed 2 PSP Connectivity. (L)

Nintendo Wii

● Nintendo announced Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming to the Wii on August 24th. (L, I, W, T)
● High Voltage Games, makers of The Conduit, reveal Gladiator A.D., a brutal action fighting game. (L, I, Lo)
● In other High Voltage Games news, their other future Wii title is The Grinder, a vampires, werewolves and zombies co-operative online shooter. (L, I, T)
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter, sequel to the critically acclaimed DS title Drawn to Life, was announced. (L, B, W, T)
● Majesco has announced Flip's Twisted World which looks to be a Super Mario Galaxy-inspired platformer scheduled for release in January of 2010. (L, W, T)
● Ubisoft has announced a Wii-exclusive sequel to Shaun White Snowboarding entitled Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage. (L, T)
Dead Space Extraction has an official release date of September 29, 2009. (L)
Fragile is being localized for North America! Thanks XSEED! (L, I, T)
● Atlus announced Trauma Team for release Spring 2010! (L, Lo, T)
Monado: Beginning of the World, a pretty Nintendo developed RPG is coming to Wii. (L, I)
● A new No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle trailer! (L, V, T)
● The A Boy and His Blob remake is looking stunning. (L, V, In)
Wii Fit Plus officially announced. Will be released Fall 2009 bundled with or without the Balance Board. (L, I, Vl)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a four player 2D Mario, announced and confirmed for Holiday 2009 release. (L, I, V)
Red Steel 2 to be bundled with Wii Motion Plus! (L)
Super Mario Galaxy 2! Coming in 2010. (L, Lo, I, V, T)
● Iwata's Wii Vitality Sensor will bring a greater sense of relaxation to people in our stressful society. (L)
● Team Ninja and Nintendo announced Metroid: Other M for 2010 on Wii. Looks [tornado fang]ing amazing. (L, Lo, I, V, T)
● Miyamoto announced that he wants to announce a new Zelda next year for Wii using MotionPlus. (L)

Nintendo DS

The Another World, the Level-5 and Studio Ghibli's DS RPG announced last year, is looking fantastic and is still slated for a 2009 release. (L, I, W)
C.O.P: The Recruit, an open world DS game, was announced. (L, I, V)
● LucasArts officially announced Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron for Nintendo DS and PSP. (L, I, W)
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter, sequel to the critically acclaimed DS title Drawn to Life, was announced. (L, B, W, T)
WarioWare DIY announced! (L, V, I)
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days coming to U.S on Setptember 29th. (L)
Golden Sun DS revealed! 2010 release! (V, I, T)
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story coming to NA and EU in Q3 2009. (L, V, I)
● Summer DSi Update will allow photo upload to Facebook! (L)

Xbox 360

● EA's cooperative shooter Army of Two: The 40th Day has new media for consumption. (T, I, V)
● Yeah, Platinum Games' Bayonetta has plenty of T&A to go along with your Kamiya badassery. (V)
● Bioware's Mass Effect 2 looks incredible, and is sure to fix many of the problems people had with the first if the trailer is anything to go by. (V, T)
● Rockstar announces Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony as part of their DLC exclusivity deal for Microsoft. (P, Lo, T)
Bioshock 2 has a firm release date of November 3rd. (L)
● The Tekken 6 E3 Trailer! (V)
Supreme Commander 2 Revealed! (V, T)
Mear Gear Rising announced. It stars Raiden, not much else is known. (V, A, T)
Halo Reach announced.  Not much is not, except it is about the last holdouts on planet Reach and will be released in 2010. (V, A)
Halo: ODST was demoed, and it looked pretty [tornado fang]ing rad. (A, V)
● The much rumoured Xbox Live "Motion Camera" has been revealed.  Called NATAL,  it requires no controller and is much like an advanced EyeToy. (V, T)
Crysis 2 has officially been announced for PS3, 360 and PC.  It will further demonstrate Crytek's capabilities on consoles apparently. (T, P)
Alan Wake is finally slated for release in Spring 2010.  It was demoed on stage and seemed incredibly thrilling. (A, V, I)
Left 4 Dead 2 is announced for release this winter.  Changes include new melee weaponry, special infected and characters. (A, V, I)
Splinter Cell: Conviction was shown at the event. Looks badass. 360 Exclusive.  (A, V, I)
● The GAF favorite is receiving a sequel in Crackdown 2.  Almost nothing is known about it as a CG teaser was shown. (A, I)
Final Fantasy XIII was demoed at the Microsoft event, with a tentative release window of Spring 2010.  Cross your fingers. (A, V)
Forza 3 looks insanely feature packed.  With over 400 cars from 50 different manufacturers, it is being heralded as THE sim racing event of the generation for 360. (A, I)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is not only looking insane, it's also getting exclusive DLC on the 360. (A, I, V)
Rock Band: Beatles is set to bring the iconic group to your music gaming love. (V)
● Microsoft will have a Games-on-Demand service starting in August. (T, I)

iPhone

8bitone, by Japanese developer Yudo, lets you arrange your own chiptune soundtracks on the fly. Available on the App Store in June. (L, V, W)
Mass Effect Galaxy, a prequel to ME2, is coming to iPhone! (L, I)
The Sims 3 iPhone version is really shaping up. (L)

PC

Natural Selection 2 is coming this year! (L, V, W, T)
Supreme Commander 2 Revealed! (V, T)
Crysis 2 has officially been announced for PS3, 360 and PC.  (T, P)
Left 4 Dead 2 is announced for release this winter.  Changes include new melee weaponry, special infected and characters. (A, V, I)

Major Presentation Schedules, Live Blogging & Feeds

Monday June 1st, 2009
Microsoft: 10:30 AM PT / 1:30 PM ET / 6:30 PM GMT / 7:30 (19:30) Europe Time
"The Transformational Bank Breaking Show"
G4 (Also on TV)
GameTrailers (HD)
Official Xbox Site
IGN
GameSpot

Electronic Arts: 2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET / 10:00 PM GMT / 11:00 (23:00) Europe Time
"Something Original? Or More Madden?"
G4 (Also on TV)
GameTrailers (HD)
IGN
GameSpot

Ubisoft: 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET / 1:00 AM GMT / 2:00 (2:00) Europe Time
"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Hosted By The Soup's Joel McHale
G4 (Also on TV)
GameTrailers (HD)
IGN
GameSpot

Tuesday June 2nd, 2009

Nintendo: 9:00 AM PT / 12:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM GMT / 6:00 (18:00) Europe Time
"The All or Nothing Gambit"
G4 (Also on TV)
GameTrailers (HD)
IGN
GameSpot

Sony: 11:00 AM PT / 2:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM GMT / 8:00 (20:00) Europe Time
"Their Grandest Conference Ever...?"
G4 (Also on TV)
GameTrailers (HD)
IGN
GameSpot

[Not a Press Conference] Miyamoto + Nintendo Presentation: 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET / 2:00 AM GMT / 3:00 (3:00) Europe Time
"The After E3 Presser"
No live streams. Hopefully live blogs though. This is where Brawl was shown three years ago. This is where Chris Remo went "Are you making Pikmin 3" and got a reply last year (which was the only relevant news out of Nintendo that show...). So who knows. Maybe something will come of it.

Wednesday June 3rd, 2009

Square Enix: 11:00 AM PT / 2:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM GMT / 8:00 (20:00) Europe Time
No live streams. At the very least 1up is liveblogging it and the blog sites should obviously be liveblogging too.

Konami: 3:00 PM PT / 6:00 PM ET / 11:00 PM GMT / 0:00 (0:00) Europe Time
"A NEXT METAL GEAR/SNATCHER/ZONE OF THE ENDERS/SODA(?) IS..."
No live streams. At the very least 1up is liveblogging it and the blog sites should obviously be liveblogging too.

Podcasts

Listen UP! (Formerly 1up Yours) -  Daily E3 Podcast, wraps up the biggest news of the day with the high rollers in the industry.

Vice Weekly - Alternative Daily E3 Podcast

Button Masher - Audio and Video E3 Week Podcasts, hosted by GAF Members.

CO-OP (From the makers of the 1up Show) - Video Podcast with 3 E3 live stream shows and some E3 specials.

More to be added as info on show dates becomes available!

Special Note

Finally, I want everyone to take a good hard look at our resident 2nd Best Ninja, Ninja Lou and wish him well as he's going to the event much to our collective jealousy. XD

Seriously though, have fun man and bring us some swag!

The Laugh Reel

"You ever wonder what the bottom of an Avatar's shoe looked like?"
"Wait, what are they talking about?"
The E3 .gif & Photoshop Collection
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:09:25 AM by Jericho »

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Finally, I want everyone to take a good hard look at our resident 2nd Best Ninja, Ninja Lou and wish him well as he's going to the event much to our collective jealousy. XD

Seriously though, have fun man and bring us some swag!

Us? You mean ME.  The swag is for ME!   ;)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Us? You mean ME.  The swag is for ME!   ;)

Had to say something didn't ya? Also congrats on deflowering the thread. XD

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Why are you locking this?

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Why are you locking this?

I think he's just keeping this locked till E3 begins, or the day before, or something.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:08:45 PM
Well, it's up to you guys really. I kept it locked so that it wouldn't overshadow the other thread I made and to keep this one from filling up with too much hype or speculation. If you think it'd be better to unlock this one and lock the other one, that works too.

Posted on: May 23, 2009, 05:56:43 PM
I originally wanted to make a long compilation of info that had been released throughout the week in regards to game announcements and the like, but I figure that you all will do the talking better yourselves. (Plus I can always snatch the one over at GAF once they finish updating it all. XD) Also, I was planning on opening the thread tonight at midnight due to the silly idea behind this thread, but what'd be the point especially if I wasn't online later? With that all said, ladies and gents, RPM's E3 lounge and discussion thread is open!

Have fun! 8)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Hulu possibly coming to 360

As a HUGE fan of the NetFlix X-Box Live deal, I think this would be pretty neat.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Wow, that would be a stunning move from Microsoft. Watch anything I want whenever I want? Sweet. Meanwhile, there's so much info to process. At this point, I'm about to just say [tornado fang] it and let everyone else toss things around. XD

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
My eyes are on Namco with their Vesperia PS3 re-release. Otherwise, I'd like to see what the three big players will be bringing out. We can already expect figure fapping from Nintendo... as always... Sony trying to show PS3 really isn't the laughing stock it's been the last three years and Microsoft likely trying to say "oh, we're also about family fun too!" with their new motion sensing controls/camera as well as detailing Zune HD and 360 connectivity.

For the record, Zune HD? Looking pretty nice just because of that HD FM Radio Tuner (picks up stations inbetween normal FM signals... like how you have your 94.9's, but now there's 94.97's.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm hearing and seeing nothing but good things about the Zune HD. 

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Honestly, I' playing things very carefully with expectations this year. I believe that Nintendo may just shed their internet endorsed persona of catering to one group overall and show off a nice (not killer, although this is possible too) trove of games to look forward to. With the way people in the business and gamers have been looking at them, I do believe that Nintendo has really been put in a put up or shut up place. It also sounds like Nintendo is poised to deliver due to some of their latest statements.

Sony is another one that I'm looking out for. As of now they have a great position to really take advantage of with their game releases. If the rumors of a E3 price cut & slim version turn out true, then I know what I'll be looking forward to sooner rather than later! 8)

Microsoft announced the Zune HD and to my surprise, it looks really good. More info is necessary for me personally.

Individual games and things I'm looking out for right now include Bayonetta, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom US, Fragile's localization, and Sin & Punishment 2. That's a fairly modest list if you ask me. I'm expecting tons of under the hype announcements to really drive this E3 home though.

Then on a bit of a wild yet related tangent, AMD is supposed to be at the Computrex expo (think the PC Hardware version of E3, which takes place at the same time) this year showing off a new laptop platform. Here's to some DirectX 11 cards getting shown off for laptops! XD

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Nintendo:
More about Wii MotionPlus and related upcoming Sports games
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Galaxy 2 teaser

Err, that's my prediction. DO IT, NINTY!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Fatal Frame IV overseas release canned for good.

Best part is now we finally find out what caused the epic saga of Nintendo vs. Tecmo & the hardcore. Look here for added details.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
*waves finger around in the air*

Whoopdy doo.

EDIT: And if you think it's Nintendo's fault, it really isn't. tl;dr - Nintendo wanted Tecmo to fix some bugs, they refused.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 06:56:25 PM

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Well... all I can really say is a resounding...

"Meh"

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile

Offline Emiri Landeel

• M i s s i n g   i n   a c t i o n
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Put your faith in me and I'll show ya.
    • View Profile
No UMD?
Good thing I got myself equipped with PSP-3000.

I love my games in Physical form. = .=

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
this gets a flat out "No" from me. it does not look comfortable to play at all. all the buttons and stick are way to low, and the analog stick is too close to the center of the device.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
The PSP Go gets a huge [tornado fang]ing WANT from my end.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
The PSP Go gets a huge [tornado fang]ing WANT from my end.

Well, it's small, and it looks playable to an extent, why not? :P

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I've yet to get a PSP-3000, i'm more interested in that.  Sorry Sony.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
... óVó

I dunno. I'll hope for the best, but I don't think the old "Third Pillar" strategy is going to pan out nearly as well for Sony as it did for Ninty.

And FINALLY, it looks like Ninty has joined the "leak" bandwagon. Source is Nikkei News 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16074419&postcount=128
(Original JP link is here: http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/main/20090531AT1D2907V30052009.html)

Basically, new Wii Fit is coming and also a new MARIO game is confirmed to be on the way. Both slated for the 2nd half of this year. It would seem that Ninty realizes that Wii sales are slipping, and are on the way to do more to do something about that.

Could it be Super Paper Mario 2? Mario Galaxy's successor? Who knows, but we could stand to find out in a few days...  *o*

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Hold it, I think it could be a Mario Puzzle game, which something Ninty hasn't done in awhile with Mario.  8U

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.