Super Mario Bros. 2 (Doki Doki Panic)

Acid · 6946

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
on: February 02, 2009, 02:28:43 AM

Whom did you pick? I used Luigi. Always. For every stage.

Floaty jumps are awesome.

Oh yeah, so genral SMB2 thread I guess. Despite being a faker, it gave us many many things we enjoy. Like the Shy Guys! And Birdo! I'm a bit sad that the other bosses never returned to the Mario series.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:34:44 AM
I loved the game. Still love it.

I used to use Luigi for most of the stages; but for the digging stages I always picked Toad (fastest digging speed) and the Princess for the ice levels (flying is a lifesaver when you're positioning yourself while walking over a slippery surface).

Random curious fact: even though I owned it since 1991, I only finished the game when I bought my SNES in 96, in the Super Mario All Stars bundled cart. :P

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:37:19 AM
Ahhh yes.  The game where "Luigi Blew It" came from!   8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:48:49 AM
Like the Shy Guys! And Birdo! I'm a bit sad that the other bosses never returned to the Mario series.

Preach.

The fact that the likes of enemies such as Cobrat, TryClyde and ESPECIALLY Mouser, have never been seen again, hurts me to my soul.

And what about Phanto? When that guy first started to chase me after I took his key, it was something that actually freaked me out as a kid.   8)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:51:33 AM
I agree.  Phanto was why Luigi Blew It a lot of times!  XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 05:05:54 AM
i'll admit, i never played the game much. i never owned it, and few people i knew owned it. but if i were to play it today, odds are i'd be using Peach.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:28:03 AM
Mouser and Triclyde were great additions to the Mario lore (especially if you've watched Mouser in the cartoon; he'd be Toadsworth's 'foil'). Then the Koopa Kids collectively took that role, even though they're far better at being annoying maniacs like in M&L:SS.

As far as the game goes, ooh, a little rough, especially when you hit World 6. Not too bad, though; once you get far in the game and start knowing how to solve the puzzles of the stages, you can breeze through it. Yeah, you'll probably die once or twice, but you'll have like 10 or so lives left over, and you never had a Game Over.

Peach is the best character. Strangely, the pulling speed and jump height are not that important. On top of that, you get a strategic float ability, both in the stage, and in combat.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:32:50 AM
Personally, I think it's a tie between Peach and Weegee. Indeed, Peach's flying ability is strategic when it comes to certain areas, but jump height can net you many things you wouldn't normally be able to get, not to mention that his floaty jump was nearly as useful as Peach's flight.

Offline Crimson Lightning

• Hows the weather look today?
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Not too bad
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:35:42 AM
Personally, I think it's a tie between Peach and Weegee. Indeed, Peach's flying ability is strategic when it comes to certain areas, but jump height can net you many things you wouldn't normally be able to get, not to mention that his floaty jump was nearly as useful as Peach's flight.
im with Shiki on this one Luigi was a great when it came to secret route for me and Peach on the ice and sometimes desert

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:36:18 AM
Actually, I think Toad was the best myself.  His superior fast pulling ability made him so very very good against enemies and bosses.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:36:36 AM
It's true that Luigi's charged jump can give you a boost, makes one or two puzzles faster, and might make you feel better about using a character other than Peach, but after playing through the game with each character, Luigi's jumps didn't make a significant difference as far as clearing the game.

Getting some extra lives/life, yeah. Everything else, nah.

im with Shiki on this one Luigi was a great when it came to secret route for me and Peach on the ice and sometimes desert

Peach is a lifesaver in the later deserts. Yeah, Luigi can get over the Pokeys, but Peach can absolutely clear them.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50:09 AM
I'm pretty good at the game. ^^

Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic - Part 1
Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic - Part 2

Super Mario USA (SMB2) Part 1
Super Mario USA (SMB2) Part 2
Super Mario USA (SMB2) Part 3
Super Mario USA (SMB2) Part 4
Super Mario USA (SMB2) Part 5
Super Mario USA (SMB2) Part 6
Super Mario USA (SMB2) Part 7

I love it! When I was little, it was one of my most played games, along with Mario 3 and Mario World.
It's pretty fun to see that a few Sub-Con enemies comes back to other Mario games later. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:34:18 PM
The fact that the likes of enemies such as Cobrat, TryClyde and ESPECIALLY Mouser, have never been seen again, hurts me to my soul.
Quoted for truth.  I miss my Mouser and TriClyde a ton...

I'm pretty much split between Peach and Luigi when I play.  More often Peach, I guess; if I want Luigi I can always go for the other games.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:41:45 PM
-post-

How about that one part where they totally skipped Mouser in World 3 and replaced him with Mecha Birdo in Super Mario Advance? =w=;

I'm pretty much split between Peach and Luigi when I play.  More often Peach, I guess

<3 sweeeeet~

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:31 PM
LoL, I'm the only Toad supporter in here!   8D

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:18 PM
If you have to know, I support all 4 of them.

When I play a full game, I tend to switch to each character on each level.
Mario first, then Luigi, then Peach and then Toad in that order.
That way, when the game is over, all of them has 5 points in the ending. ^^

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:48 PM
Sorry PB. But Toad doesn't hold a candle against Luigi floaty movements (IMO)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:44 PM
Honestly, I really can't pick a favorite out of the Big 4 in Mario 2, but at the same time, I don't use them all evenly like Vixy does. They are all just too awesome and it can be a bit troublesome at times to just stick to a favorite or two.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 10:56:30 PM
How about that one part where they totally skipped Mouser in World 3 and replaced him with Mecha Birdo in Super Mario Advance? =w=;
Actually, the second Mouser is in the game, he was just moved to World 6.  They booted the second Triclyde. :'(

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 11:08:50 PM
Sorry PB. But Toad doesn't hold a candle against Luigi floaty movements (IMO)

Yes, but Luigi sucked in the Underground world.  Toad, at least for me, was the best because of how fast his pulling was.  I destroyed bosses and got through levels so quickly with him.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:15 PM
Pulling speed didn't help when I needed it most, and that's the Crab boss.

You pretty much have to cross your fingers and judge trajectory.

EDIT: And when I played that as Mario a while back, I thought about waggling the Wiimote, hoping it'd knock the rock back at him ala SMG. 8D

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 11:28:07 PM
I have a bootleg Famicom cartridge laying around in my sisters room, it's Super Mario Bros 2 (The NA version)
Don't know if it works, since I don't own a Famicom. XD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:32:21 AM

Considering that there were a grand total of 3 Mousers in the JP original, I guess it only made sense that he would eventually get more downsized along the way (though he was just moved to another level, as Shelly said). Even so, that third Mouser from the original game (5-3's boss) was removed to make room for Clawgrip, one of the first "GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!!!" in gaming, so that's fine.  8D

If you have to know, I support all 4 of them.

When I play a full game, I tend to switch to each character on each level.
Mario first, then Luigi, then Peach and then Toad in that order.
That way, when the game is over, all of them has 5 points in the ending. ^^

My lady! That's the way I usually tried to do it too! Being fair and all that.  0v0

But in any case, if you really want to blaze through the game, in the quickest way possible, all you really need is Toad, actually.

Toad has the unique property of not only lifting things better than any one else, he also goes FASTER, the heavier the item is! With the right item, he's both the fastest way to get around on foot, as well as through those annoying digging passages.  XD

If all you want to do is clear the game in about a half-hour or less (using warps), Toad is your mushroom-man. And if you got either Newtype-esque, pixel-perfect timing (or TA-ing through an emu), you can make it so Toad can get double-jumps to give him more maneuverability. Then that just makes him even better.  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 12:44:22 AM
But in any case, if you really want to blaze through the game, in the quickest way possible, all you really need is Toad, actually.

Toad has the unique property of not only lifting things better than any one else, he also goes FASTER, the heavier the item is! With the right item, he's both the fastest way to get around on foot, as well as through those annoying digging passages.  XD

If all you want to do is clear the game in about a half-hour or less (using warps), Toad is your mushroom-man. And if you got either Newtype-esque, pixel-perfect timing (or TA-ing through an emu), you can make it so Toad can get double-jumps to give him more maneuverability. Then that just makes him even better.  8D

THANK YOU!   8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 12:51:23 AM
...I just realized tha I've only ever used about 2 or 3 times in my life.

Anyways, when I play this it's usually Peach/Luigi for me. Mostly Peach because of her floating.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.