Align · 341116

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2225 on: March 08, 2017, 08:26:36 AM
I haven't really clogged my inventory spaces with that. Also if you find him again (near Woodland Stables is where he went after the first time) he'll do about 6 more upgrades before heading off to his home where he'll remain for as many future upgrades as needed.

Meanwhile I finished the first dungeon. Working on the next but I'm exploring in the meantime.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2226 on: March 08, 2017, 06:12:03 PM
The world being so damn huge is a doubled edged sword.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well shrines are done.  They're lit up, you spot them from a high spot, mark your map, get adventuring, and that's effectively how you gather heart containers and warp points.  It's perfect.

But then there's those damn memory pictures.  I WANT THOSE SO BAD, it's a far bigger story hook to me than the beasts, and yet you're given no direction for them.  Just hope to God you recognize something from a screenshot in a ludicrously massive game world, sure, why not? O:<

I did climb Mount Lanayru, though, and that was fun.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2227 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:47 PM
No were near 100% complete but I did finish the story and can confirm the true ending is achieved by freeing all four divine beasts AND doing the memory quests, also found the Master Sword by pure luck (cough* bring 13 hearts *cough*) and stumbled on the Hylian shield in Hyrule Castle (lockup area on the west side of the base level)

I'm actually kinda tempted to do a weak link run of Hyrule castle someday in the future---NO idea how one is meant to survive the Calamity Ganon fight with three hearts though.  XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2228 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:21 AM
I love the memory pictures and how they're given. It's a reason to explore. I was stoked when I found one.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2229 on: March 09, 2017, 04:48:18 PM
Yeah, well, you don't really need a "reason."  I pretty much lost myself in the game yesterday, running around looking for far-off shrines and ores.  And the fact that that's even possible while STILL feeling that there's so much left undone and unexplored, is saying a lot.

Dungeons?  Beasts?  Yeah, I'll probably get there someday.

To be clear, the good far and away outweighs the bad.  But weapon durability is crap, there really should have been some way of maintaining your preferred weapons.  Also, compared to Twilight Princess, your abilities on horseback are limited.  You can't throw bombs, can't use any of the slate functions, really, and no Hook/Clawshot means you can't pick up items, which is the meat and bones of BotW.  Essentially you have to hop off every time you see anything remotely interesting, and that gets tiresome.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2230 on: March 10, 2017, 04:35:05 AM
Well I've noticed that there's very few unique weapons and there tends to be ways to get them back if they are.

As for not being able to do much on horseback... I've found riding horses is just a tiny part of the game. The meat of the game is being able to climb almost everything and explore almost anywhere. I rarely even ride anything, finding it faster to glide around.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2231 on: March 12, 2017, 11:29:26 AM
I beat the game tonight. Here are my potentially massive-spoilery thoughts.
[spoiler]Really great game. I find very few faults in it. Let's get those out of the way first.

-Link does like climbing things at inappropriate times, causing more than a few cheap hits on the part of enemies.
-The camera when you get caught in a corner can cause the same thing as above as I couldn't see where I was or the enemies either.
-The music can be a tad quiet at times, leaving you exploring in silence.
-Finding the memories can be a pain since you need to be very observant at times and a few are in incredibly obscure locations.

Now for the positives.

-The battle system is simple to get a hold of and can allow for some great battles. If you jump out of the way of an attack with good-enough timing you can unleash a flurry attack with your melee weapon and this can be vital to taking out more powerful enemies. Which certainly is rewarding when you conquer them and collect their goodies.
-Finding the shrines is very rewarding and gives cause to check every nook and cranny for platforms or cracked walls. It's also vital to remember all your Runes and what they can do, and finding how versatile they can be. Such as dropping bombs while paragliding.
-Cooking. It's so much fun to figure out what you can combine and the results of a good combo.
-Arrangements of previous tracks well-placed for various regions. For instance, the Rito Village's theme is a subdued version of Dragon Roost Isle. You can also hear the Zora's Domain theme in Zora's Domain (of course). The music is also quite good when it does play, enjoyed every song.
-The story. While it was sparse (and all the story scenes we saw in the trailer are from memories you can collect) it was still fantastic.
-The open-ended nature. It's not only a game where you can go where ever you want if you see it in whatever order, the dungeons are built in that way too. Whereas previous Zelda games you had to kinda go through each dungeon in a specific order, in this one you can kinda go through the dungeon in whatever order you want. Which was quite nice.
-The camera and Hyrule Compendium are nice features too. Being able to lock on to specific enemies or items or critters is incredibly useful (after you upgrade your sensor once), and seeing the bios on all the enemies is fantastic too.

The final battle was suitably grand too, and the boss battles were well-designed too. There's so much to do and after you clear the game you can jump right back in for unfinished business. The game will also tell you your overall clear percentage too after doing so. Waiting for the DLC packs now. This game was well worth the wait, and I'm glad I savored it as I did (while still clearing it in just over a week). I'm only 28.94% done according to the game lol.[/spoiler]

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #2232 on: March 13, 2017, 04:51:55 AM
I'm still nowhere even close to being done, but I'll just point out the nitpicks I have with the game.

• Needs more buttons to move through the menu. Scrolling with the L & R button still takes a while considering all the slots for food & armor
  • Like with Monster Hunter, you should be able to register & save armor set combinations that you like.

Um yeah....that's really it. There's so much about this game that I love that I'd need a whole post to go over it and I have to get to bed.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2233 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:05 AM
Yeah, I've been pretty much running around the overworld completing the map towers, memories, shrines, searching for the Great Fairy fountains, all that stuff.  I've barely touched the main quest, literally only STARTED (did not finish) my first Divine Beast quest yesterday.  But I've got the Master Sword, three of the Fountains, all but one memory photo (but really that forest one was dumb luck; I don't know what manner of landmark you're supposed to notice there), bought a house, almost two full pages of clothing/accessories, and yeah, just overall having a blast.

I STILL say the weapon system is bogus, but it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch.  And SWORD BEAMS, YAY!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2234 on: March 15, 2017, 11:13:28 PM
Something i've noticed is Horse controls are awful in this game.

I tried doing a horse race on my boyfriends save cuz he was getting pissed off at it (he tried it with the big ganon-colored horse first and then epona) and turning is so awful and stiff, half the time we ran at one of those gates we had maybe a tiny angle which causes the horse to stop dead in its tracks, and then there was one that no matter if we went on it dead on the horse stopped in front of it, or we would get forced off. all because it had a small incline in front of it.

Neither of us could understand how to get it at all. We still haven't gotten back to it, mostly because it costs money to do the race and we don't feel like reloading the save constantly to negate financial loss.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2235 on: March 16, 2017, 06:19:12 AM
Well you do need to constantly soothe your horse otherwise it doesn't like turning I've found.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2236 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:43 PM
No its more that the control doesn't really turn unless I do a hard right and then I can't angle it very well.

Epona's supposed to be max trust/affection so I don't think you can soothe her.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2237 on: March 17, 2017, 07:10:56 AM
You can soothe any horse even after max trust/affection/whatever if I'm not mistaken. They're still animals with their own thoughts after all.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2238 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:07 AM
You CAN soothe Epona but it would be more accurate to say there's no point to doing so, as she is in fact locked at max affection/obedience.

I know EXACTLY which jump Police Girl is talking about, it drove me nuts.  My solution is to do the course backwards.  Dead serious, there is no specific order that the jumps need to be taken in, and the incline is easier to take in reverse.  Also don't rush; the time limit is VERY forgiving.  You can slow to a trot if you need to.

Don't fret about it too much if you're sticking to Epona, though.  The reward is an extra saddle, and you can't change hers.

The problem with that jump is that an obedient horse tries to anticipate your will and stick to whatever path it's on.  This causes your horse to, of their own accord, follow the curve of the hill before the jump, which causes your horse to stop at the jump because you have to be running straight to make a jump.

Ordinarily I very much like the horse controls in the game; they did a very good job of immersing you by controlling Link riding a horse rather than controlling the horse directly (and it's nice to no longer have the ridiculously wide dead zone of Twilight Princess HD).  But the obstacle course feels like it simply was not designed with that in mind, since the horse's AI actively interferes with it.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2239 on: May 02, 2017, 03:13:15 AM

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/

Expansion Pack 1 detailed. New map feature shows you your path over the last 200 hours of gameplay, new dungeon is a gauntlet of 45 rooms that enter you without gear or weapons and, upon completion, truly awaken the Master Sword. New armor, new item to create your own fast travel point (only one), and a Korok mask that alerts you when Koroks are near. Also Hard Mode where enemy health regenerates and everyone starts off one level higher than usual and the level cap is even higher than in normal mode.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2240 on: May 03, 2017, 06:14:08 AM
I wonder if it will be at all possible to switch difficulties without restarting the game?  Because there is NO WAY IN HELL I am restarting the game, much as I would like more gemstone-dropping enemies.

Powered up Master Sword is a pretty sweet reward, I could really enjoy smacking some Lynel around with that thing.

I know there will be online guides to tackle this in no time flat, but the map size really works against "this is added to a certain location" DLC.  There's no thrill of discovery if you've already searched the world top to bottom and are doing it again to look for something that wasn't there last time.  Hell, I can't even stand that in Mario stages; Green Stars are the bane of my existence.  At least Nintendo specified that the first three chests were in the Great Plateau; your Sheikah Sensor can handle the rest from there.

Totally want that Fused Shadow.  'cuz Midna. 0v0

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #2241 on: May 05, 2017, 01:32:40 AM
Man, Breath of the Wild sounds awesome! Sadly do not have a Switch yet as I wanted to wait for some reviews on it first before getting it. Hopefully my parents will get it for me as a birthday present later this month. It's much more easier to find them now then before, right?

I hear some good and bad things about it, but it seems like a lot of the good outweight the bad. Though I do like renaming Link to whomever I want (as myself cause I like to be Link or Yoshi just for the heck of it) and I understand not having it because of Voice Acting, but they could've gone the way Persona series has done it.

So it's the Switch version that's the more preferred one, right? Planning on going all Digitally on the Switch... because finding that someone is going into your room and steals 15 games you own is not fun.

Anyway any tips I should know about BotW when I get it?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2242 on: May 11, 2017, 06:35:06 AM
Devote your Spirit Orbs to Heart Containers until you have at least 13.  You can always cook food for Stamina.

Try to resist the "come back later" urge when you find something suspicious, or at the very least mark it on your map, because unless you're short on arrows or something there is very little in the way of abilities that you don't have before leaving the Great Plateau.  That's one veteran Zelda instinct that doesn't serve you well.

The other thing from past games that you need to unlearn is that the Mirror Shield ever existed in a 3D game.  While the game points out a few of the shields that are capable of deflecting Guardian Beams, it fails to note that doing so requires an actual parry maneuver.  You definitely want to get the timing of that down for the sake of the endgame.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2243 on: May 13, 2017, 04:36:15 AM
Interesting... I'll make note of it.

I know you need 13 Hearts to get the Master Sword, though not sure where the Sword is located yet. I've done my research and it seems like it's recommended to get 26 Hearts and a full 3 bars of Stamina from collecting the Spirit Orbs from the 120 Temples there are as Stamina is just as important as Hearts. I could go for the 30 Hearts, but I think 26 is fine and I can cook for more hearts.

Sure no problem. I tend to explore as much as possible and hate to leave any stones unturned.

I thought so, read up that you have to parry now which is cool though it adds more of a tricky challenge too.

Also you can go straight to the Final Boss immediately after completing the opening part of the game, though not recommended on the first time around and best to do all 4 Divine Beasts and find all 12 memories for the True Ending for the game.

I do have the Wii U so I  could get the game now, but I prefer to get it for the Switch instead.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2244 on: May 14, 2017, 09:17:05 AM
There's really no difference between Switch and Wii U aside from portability, honestly.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2245 on: May 17, 2017, 02:34:13 AM
I would like it for the portability... and I want it to be my first Switch game.

Just need to be lucky to get a Switch now. ^_^;

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2246 on: May 23, 2017, 04:56:16 AM
I found every map tower, memory, fairy fountain, and the Master Sword on a single stamina wheel.  Even cleared the Mount Lanaryu subquest.  Not saying it wasn't trying, but it can be done.  Again, just cook lots of stamina shrooms for emergencies and horse captures (the latter being no big deal if you have a Smash Link amiibo; that nets you Epona).  To this day I only have two stamina wheels; I never did get all of the shrines.

And the Master Sword is...basically where any Zelda veteran would think it is, realizing that the early game rules out the Temple of Time.

There's really no difference between Switch and Wii U aside from portability, honestly.
That's more than enough of a reason if you know you're getting a Switch anyway.  Sure, you might not think of Zelda as a handheld game, something you'd rather sit down and sink several hours into, but with the billion and a half sidequests and suspicious spots you come across, it is surprisingly handy being able to pull the game out for a few minutes and get some odds and ends out of the way.  Or farm dragon horns for extra rupees.  Or make one more attempt to kill that one jerk enemy whose pattern you're still learning (IE, if you run into your first "Major Test of Strength" relatively early).