Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 341108

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: January 27, 2009, 06:19:01 AM
I'm sorry... I'm not as strong as some of you here--most likely not anyone.

Here's the points I made: I think that Nintendo's franchise's are going to change. Zelda is included. As their demographic changes with the different audiences that buy their game, they're going to need to change. People are becoming more open-minded. More girls are playing video games. All these things factor in. I think Zelda will have a female hero. It's only a matter of time at this point. Simply wanting a franchise to change isn't enough. It will change because people do.

Well, my original one was more longer, but I'm too lazy to type it all over again.

This is why I said post it!  Boost up your confidence, girl!   ;)

I think you're missing my point though.  As I said, my point is this.  In the Mario franchise, instead of making a Female version of Mario, they simply used Peach, and she LaLa LaLa LaaLaa'd all over Bowser's ass.  They didn't change the character, they simply used Peach, which I believe was a great thing to do.  The game, from what I hear, was excellent. 

This is what I think they should do with Zelda.  I think by this point, and also because the franchise has her name on it, we're due for a game based on Zelda.  As you said, change is upon us and more girls are becoming gamers, and it sucks that I was born like 10 years too late to experience this amazing new influx of chicks into my Comic Book nerd world!    8)

Instead of giving a new female heroine to the Zelda franchise, why not simply use the heroine they already have and can write a really good story for if they put there mind to it?  Make it where Zelda isn't just a Damsel in Distress, but is instead a heroic princess who casts aside her royalty for a time and decides to fight for the Honor of Hyurle, using her magic and her Light Arrows or something like that.  That would be a much better game in my eyes, and would do honor to the Legend of Zelda series.

you're stronger then me.

I'll have to work on your confidence as well!   8)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #76 on: January 27, 2009, 06:20:58 AM
Like Taiyo said, I already made the topic, and the video clips for it. ^^
Ah, didn't make the connection with Zelda from the topic title.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: January 27, 2009, 06:21:43 AM
Instead of giving a new female heroine to the Zelda franchise, why not simply use the heroine they already have and can write a really good story for if they put there mind to it?  Make it where Zelda isn't just a Damsel in Distress, but is instead a heroic princess who casts aside her royalty for a time and decides to fight for the Honor of Hyurle, using her magic and her Light Arrows or something like that.  That would be a much better game in my eyes, and would do honor to the Legend of Zelda series.

Weirdly enough while I was reading this, I thought of Zelda playing/fighting like Lyn from Fire Emblem except with an emphasis on magic. She'd be the most broken Nintendo protagonist ever like this...

Want. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: January 27, 2009, 06:27:03 AM
Hell, if anything, why not make it a RTS game with Zelda leading different brave knights of Hyurle (often useless) against the forces of evil.  That way, you can introduce more unique characters to the game.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:18 AM
RTS.

On a Wii.

Not feelin' it.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: January 27, 2009, 06:59:50 AM
RTS.

On a Wii.

Not feelin' it.
Maybe the DS then?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: January 27, 2009, 07:15:02 AM
Still not feelin' it. Nowhere near enough hotkeys. (Hotbuttons?)

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: January 27, 2009, 09:59:08 AM
I know eaxactly what i want from a new Zelda game.

I starts off with adult Link from OoT taking care of Epona somewhere within Hyrule field. The Triforce remains sealed behind the Temple of Time, or so they thought.
Quickly Zelda gets word to Link that there is trouble brewing within the temple of time. Link then mounts upon Epona and rides to the temple. Upon entry awe fills out hero's face as not only is Ganondorf standing there with the Triforce but so are all the enemies he has previously conquered.
Starting with everything you could have had from Oot you have to fight through the 5 toughest bosses. After a long and daunting fight Link runs up to Ganondorf to confront him when he procures a small black triangle from his hand.

Immediately he thrusts the triangle violently into the center of the Triforce which then is sent hurdling towards Link. It strikes him dead in the heart. He then begins to glow a ghastly gold and disappears into thin air.

You then take control of a young boy strikingly familiar to Link himself with ragged clothes and an edgy personality. Hungry he decides that he needs to find some food, but seeing as he lives in a marketplace free food is hard to come by. Walking by the large and dark castle he finds a hole that leads him into the castle courtyard. Navigating through a complex maze he comes upon a chamber and peers inside.

At this point you are now in view of an elderly man who also looks strikingly similar to Link about the age of 60. In his dark green cloak he strides up to the throne in which there is a clear view of an older Ganondorf, the master sword adorned upon the wall behind him. He has some conversation with this elderly man and then gets up and leaves the room. As the old man looks out the window he sees the young boy watching him which causes his brain to show him the moment when the Triforce slammed into Link's body. Realising what has happened he starts to formulate a plan.

Sidling across the chamber he quickly snatches the Master Sword by the hilt and conceals it within his cloak. Upon his cloak he wore an emblem which looked like a black triangle surrounded by a vortex of purple. This symbol represented the Dark Force. This was the army that has ravaged and plundered many countries and provinces around Hyrule. Confronting the child, who until now thought himself to be well hidden, he tells him what has happened and that they were both one person. Also he told them that there was still one peron that was needed to be found.

This is where I'll leave you storyline wise.

Basically Link was split into three separate people, Young link, Adult Link, And Elder Link with the Triforce split amongst them.

Young Link- Is very courageous and has a bit of strenght but isn't very wise. He has no magic and a fair amount of health can use the weapons that put you at risk as well as the enemy.
Adult Link- Is very strong and has some wisdom but he lacks the courage needed to fight. He has the most health and a bit of magic, can use and move heavy things.
Elder Link- Is very wise and has some courage but is too weak to pose much of a physical threat. He has the most magic and the least health. He can use the magical weapons to their fullest potential and can use weaponry that takes a lot of skill.

Pretty much you go through the game switching between characters to solve puzzles and fight off enemies which will now require a large amount of strategy and skill rather than just needing the right item. If one of the characters die you can revive him if you have a fairy or a potion that allows the same thing. The characters all talk to each other during various points in the game and whenever you need to figure out where you go, thus negating the need for a support character like Navi.

The music I would like to see more variety in the soundtrack, while remaining mostly orchestrated, I would like to hear some use of electric guitars, techno, and some dramatic latin lyrics for very important points in the game and/or battles.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #83 on: January 27, 2009, 05:01:09 PM
I hate you and I hate your idea.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #84 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:54 PM
Super Mario RPG and Super Paper Mario says hi. Sure, she started as the usual damsel in distress, but then she escaped and kicked some evil ass together with Mario, Bowser and others.
Don't forget Mario USA.

I think you're missing my point though.  As I said, my point is this.  In the Mario franchise, instead of making a Female version of Mario, they simply used Peach, and she LaLa LaLa LaaLaa'd all over Bowser's ass.  They didn't change the character, they simply used Peach, which I believe was a great thing to do.  The game, from what I hear, was excellent.
This.  Just because a character has "damsel in distress" as part of their background doesn't mean that they can't grow beyond it.  Nobody is born strong.  Even the legendary heroes and all need to grow.

Speaking of potential females leads that Nintendo is sitting on, I have to give a mention to Daisy.  I think she is a very strong, if underutilized, character.  One of her earliest actions during her N64 revival was sending Bowser careening over the horizon.  She's energetic, and she doesn't take any crap since Tatanga.  Unfortunately Nintendo insists on keeping her in the sports/party titles.  There is NO REASON she couldn't have at least filled a Luigi-esque role in Super Princess Peach (hopefully they'll remember that if they decide to do a sequel).

In terms of storytelling, they could do a decent job of telling how perhaps the Hero of Time/Wind/Light/Sexcellence was either trapped or didn't show up, and thus a new Zelda decided to get into the game and play for keeps!
Wind Waker prequel, not a bad idea.  Despite often needing saving, Zelda is not a character who always comes across as weak to me.  In both OoT and TP she displays strong leadership, judgment, and survival abilities.  She's just outclassed in power, so Link is her extra muscle.  But she's just as key to victory story-wise as he is.

And of course, on the topic of strong female Zelda characters, we can't forget Midna.  Despite ruling a relatively peaceful realm, she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.  And throughout the game Link depends on her a lot, not only for advise but also aid in navigation and battle.  There are certainly enough fans demanding more of her, as well, so she could have a real shot.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: January 28, 2009, 12:09:07 AM
I just remembered something else I've wanted a return to in a Zelda game..

A GOD-DAMN BEAM SWORD! 

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: January 28, 2009, 12:37:23 AM
A jump! Jumping! SOMETHING!

Also, I'm always for 3D or 2D gameplay that lets the character (in this case, Link) judo or otherwise beat the crud out of the enemy that tries to do collision damage to it.

A GOD-DAMN BEAM SWORD! 

I knew the 3D LoZ's were missing something.

Aha, that's why I liked Fierce Deity.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: January 28, 2009, 12:39:12 AM

A GOD-DAMN BEAM SWORD! 

You are right about this. However the beam itself should has the half strenght of the Master Sword and above. The swordbeam of the Fierce Deity Mask was absolutley broken, but it was delightful for the first time. Too bad that we canĀ“t use Fierce Deity Link in the GoW Games. That would be a true genocide. >BD
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:03:45 AM by Protoman Blues »

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: January 28, 2009, 12:42:35 AM

A GOD-DAMN BEAM SWORD! 

Nintendo! Listen to this man!

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #89 on: January 28, 2009, 01:01:09 AM

A GOD-DAMN BEAM SWORD! 
YOU ARE THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!!!

(I knew there was a reason besides the badass look that I loved Fierce Deity)

Also, I'm always for 3D or 2D gameplay that lets the character (in this case, Link) judo or otherwise beat the crud out of the enemy that tries to do collision damage to it.
Helm Splitter, FTW

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:16 AM
as long as it doesn't mean Zelda in Space, i could live with a Master Beamsword.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 01:21:22 AM
It's Sword Beam. The wording makes it two different things. Let's review:

Sword Beam.

Beam Sword.

Yeesh.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 02:31:13 AM
It's Sword Beam. The wording makes it two different things. Let's review:

Sword Beam.

That looks more like the end of a Spin Slash.

I meant this! (around 1:30)

Or This!

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 02:42:01 AM
Helm Splitter, FTW

Even easier than that. Helm Splitter's a bit complicated. Not too bad, but not what I have in mind.

More like grabbing the enemy and chucking them like a rock.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 02:49:25 AM

Or This!

Personally, I miss the days of the "Thrown Sword" (Zelda 1).

I'd welcome its return, provided it's put under the same rules as before. As long as you full health, Sword projectile is yours to use.

At least make it so that the degree of challenge/reward is still in play.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 02:52:12 AM
You'd only have it at full life, and the best use of the Sword Beam would be against Octoroks and flying enemies. Also handy against Redeads.

Would NOT be a good idea against reflecting/absorbing/ice enemies, or perhaps Dark Link with a Mirror Shield.

It would also put a use to Milk and the hearts you find during dungeons.

...this sounds more awesome by the second.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 02:52:54 AM
Personally, I miss the days of the "Thrown Sword" (Zelda 1).

I'd welcome its return, provided it's put under the same rules as before. As long as you full health, Sword projectile is yours to use.

At least make it so that the degree of challenge/reward is still in play.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.  XD

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: January 28, 2009, 03:19:55 AM

Or This!
Well, yes, it is the spin slash. Point is... see that little triangle? Hacked out two years ago by the Zelda hacking scene. Say hi to OoT deleted Sword Beam. Actually, it was in the game and fully functional right up until release. It was then canned.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 03:24:33 AM
I was wondering what that was.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: January 28, 2009, 03:32:23 AM
You know, I had forgotten that Fierce Deity had the same "mask" sequence as the others.

So then, at some point, the Fierce Deity died. Suspiciously acts and plays like Link.

...that's suspicious. Is that another Link, perhaps the one that obtained the Triforce?