Hypershell · 1214

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
on: September 07, 2015, 12:29:13 PM
So I know there will be no "official" NX news until 2016, and the usual salt/we ain'y found sh*#! warnings apply.  But a pretty lengthy and fairly detailed rumor list hit the net a few days ago.  So let rampant speculation begin!

He’s under strict NDA with Nintendo Japan
Informations are from march 2015, with some updates from june-july
He received a bunch of patents (some of them are publics now), info about what Nintendo is planning and a list of games potentially in development (some of them may or may not have been cancelled), third parties included
NX is a platform, not tied with a single device
Wii U is still in the picture thanks to good software results for games like Splatoon, will still be the main home console in 2016
3DS is a bit old, they’re planning of replacing it. Some games will still come out on it, but big projects are being moved on portable NX
With NX, Nintendo wants to create a platform where they can develop software for multiple devices with ease, from the home console to the portable to smartphone and tablets. They’ll have a big catalogue available for multiple platforms, with cross buy, cross saves and cross play, similar to what Microsoft is doing with Xbox One and PC thanks to Windows 10 (that allows to play many Xbox games on PC, which is also getting a bunch of ports from Xbone). Each platform will still have exclusive games
NNID is tied to the single device, but it will allow to share details between platforms, like friend list, contents, local coop games, etc. Thanks to the new membership program (the successor of Club Nintendo), we’ll benefit from the new Nintendo policies in terms of rewards
They’ll show the portable in spring 2016, will be out for the end of the year or spring 2017 max. Specs will be higher than PS Vita but nothing mindblowing, screen resolution should be 540p, considering 720p if costs go down. BC with 3DS was problematic
Wii U successor will not have an optical drive, which will be optional. It will sync with the portable (not obligatory). Specs won’t be super high, but close to PS4/X1 (doesn’t know how much, like with the portable this is still subject to change anyway). Cross games will look better on the home
Nintendo is focusing a lot on the anti-piracy system ((Hyper's comment: Yeah, and water's wet.))
Big focus on the OS as well. They hired people that worked for Google on Android, the guys who worked on the Gamecube OS and Wii U browser are there too. Optimized versions of the same OS for every NX platform (think, again, W10), each with its set of specific functions. Updates will come out at the same time, they’re focusing on making the OS blazing fast on every platform
The home console can connect with the portable to send to it its own version of the games you buy, will use the same tech as the Wii U-Wii U Gamepad streaming to do that, or the internet connection
The home will have bc with the Wii U. Gamepad should be compatible as a controller, considering selling it standalone. Can connect with the portable for offtv and bc. WiiMote compatibility is being considered too. As for support, since the new home won’t have an optical drive, they’re considering an external one. Also being considered NNID/eShop bc for titles bought on the eShop. Seems they’re considering digital games sharing too, but this bit is not perfectly clear
The portable will have its own internal memory, which will be expandable
There will be a complete overhaul of online infrastructures, but Nintendo is determined to hold successful operations as Miiverse, extending it even further and making it a central hub for communications by developers and a meeting place for players. It will be even more interactive with the ability to upload videos and screenshots in an integrated system and not dependent on the game
Voice chat and interactions between users will be revisited too, much will depend on the users age though, to protect the minors
The home will be out 6-12 months after the portable, creating the “NX system” that will allow Nintendo to better use their resources in games development
They approached third parties during E3. Capcom, Square-Enix, Ubisoft and Electronic Arts already have devkits. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, F-Zero and Metroid are in development, doesn’t know if these are main episodes or spin offs. Zelda is currently a Wii U only title due to high development costs, but they can reconsider to have another big game at NX launch
Prices will be low, 200-300€ (for the home?), considering a bundle with both for no more than 500€
Many of these things will be discussed in future Nintendo Directs, which will have a different host in every market if Nintendo can’t find a new CEO by october
A new 3D Mario will be shown, along with a new Zelda trailer. Retro moved their project on NX, will not be unveiled before 10-18 months
They’ll talk about a new “Club Nintendo”, which will be in full function with NX
Considering making agreements with phone carriers in order to better manage applications like Miiverse, Club Nintendo and the ability to purchase software by phone. Some of these will be out by March 2016
Is everything set yet? Yes, but with Nintendo you’ll never know. If he has updates he will share them with us.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/09/04/more-nintendo-nx-rumours-emerge/

A lot of this seems to follow the general speculation/patents that came before and just sprinkle a few extra details.

So...portable is coming first, but backwards compatibility with 3DS is "problematic?"  Well, I always wondered how complicated they could make those things before it would become an issue, but a non-bc handheld still sounds like a very un-Nintendo thing to do.  Speaking of which, um, did we establish how many screens this handheld NX is going to have, anyway?

Speaking of backwards compatibility, if they are serious about WiiU BC, how is Wii Remote support at all optional?  I would think there are way too many games that use it, or will NX have its own motion-remote-style controller?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:25:59 PM
So...portable is coming first, but backwards compatibility with 3DS is "problematic?"  Well, I always wondered how complicated they could make those things before it would become an issue, but a non-bc handheld still sounds like a very un-Nintendo thing to do.  Speaking of which, um, did we establish how many screens this handheld NX is going to have, anyway?

Could be a cost thing. In order to do BC on successive consoles you need to include the older system's hardware inside the unit. New handheld consoles are not powerful enough to emulate their immediate predecessor. Or... What if the NX portable is NOT a dual screen system? You could definitely have side by side screens on a wide enough screen as long as it is touch, but ti would play weird, hence "problematic"?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 08:48:33 PM
540p screen?

Jesus, get with the times. I personally think it will have a 720p top screen and a 480p bottom screen.

Because if it's anything like the 3DS, the top will be higher resolution than the lower.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:58:09 PM
Could be a cost thing. In order to do BC on successive consoles you need to include the older system's hardware inside the unit. New handheld consoles are not powerful enough to emulate their immediate predecessor. Or... What if the NX portable is NOT a dual screen system? You could definitely have side by side screens on a wide enough screen as long as it is touch, but ti would play weird, hence "problematic"?
That's what I'm wondering myself.  I get that leaving it behind will save a lot of cash, but it means they need to get all the more aggressive with marketing/library to get the new handheld off the ground.

I think most of us who have spent decent time with the WiiU can attest to the fact that there is a difference in what kind of "dual screen" gameplay you can pull off on a handheld versus on a home console, though.  On a handheld whatever screen you're not focused on is still part of your peripheral vision, and you can switch your attention very easily.  Not quite the same as when you're talking about shifting focus between the TV and your lap.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 03:31:24 AM
That's what I'm wondering myself.  I get that leaving it behind will save a lot of cash, but it means they need to get all the more aggressive with marketing/library to get the new handheld off the ground.

I think most of us who have spent decent time with the WiiU can attest to the fact that there is a difference in what kind of "dual screen" gameplay you can pull off on a handheld versus on a home console, though.  On a handheld whatever screen you're not focused on is still part of your peripheral vision, and you can switch your attention very easily.  Not quite the same as when you're talking about shifting focus between the TV and your lap.

Yeah exactly. Also off-screen play makes it pretty much impossible to do for home games anyway. A feature I absolutely LOVE now that I have experience dit by the way...

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)