Mighty No. 9

Nexus · 256209

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1275 on: October 16, 2015, 11:34:16 PM

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1276 on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:46 PM
I would've preferred a darker blue, but it looks nice.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1277 on: October 16, 2015, 11:39:27 PM
Hmmm either a darker blue or grey would have looked better, but it still looks nice.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1278 on: December 01, 2015, 11:41:17 PM
*gets rid of thread cobwebs*

Dang thread spiders, anyway we have a pretty dang cheesy trailer.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhPC-vwnOk[/yt]

If only the reception could match the energy of the trailer, stupid controversies. :|

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1279 on: December 02, 2015, 12:12:45 AM
God damn, what are these losers' problem? I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this game.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1280 on: December 02, 2015, 12:24:04 AM
They're too focused on production values even though an indie game usually doesn't hit multi platforms most of the time and even if they do it's usually something like PS4/Xbone/PC.  Not to mention they're using 3D models instead of 2D sprites and with the porting to 3DS and Wii U the graphics are going to take a hit.  Some people are even spreading a lie that the 2D sprite concept art was supposed to be what the game was supposed to look like and people not in the know are believing it.

In other words people are being graphics whores and not focusing on gameplay, you know the reason people play games in the first place?  I mean don't get me wrong, the graphics could be a lot better, but it's kind of silly to judge a book by it's cover no? 

Not to mention people are really still butt hurt about the delay, though Concept did handle the announcement of the 2nd delay poorly among other things that are kind of justified, but the graphics whores are the loudest ones by far.  I mean what I saw of the gameplay it is good, though having voice acting talking over boss audio cues, which are essential to avoid their attacks especially the 1-hit kill move, is a really poor design decision, and really I don't think they really needed that while you're fighting.  I'm hoping they make a patch for the voice acting during battles to not override the boss audio cues, but I'm not sure if Comcept would have the money for that since patches are kind of expensive.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1281 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:24 PM
All the Bosses should also have visual cues along with the audio cues, Pyrogen at least does. The audio cues are just more noticeable so you end up focusing on them.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1282 on: December 04, 2015, 10:58:00 PM
Ah I see, that makes a lot of sense.  I only saw the Pyrogen level to be honest since I wasn't a backer. 

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1283 on: December 31, 2015, 09:05:55 AM
its not just graphics, I just didnt find the beta demos really that fun at all compared to well, megaman. The dash mechanic just takes any challenge out of the game.

as for the production values, it just doesnt really show just how much went into it. Which matters considering a lot DID go into it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1284 on: January 25, 2016, 12:26:13 PM
I knew the online stuff was going to be a problem... in my experience, it always is.

To the fans eagerly awaiting the release of Mighty No. 9, 

Unfortunately, we have an announcement that will be very disappointing to all of you. In preparation for the February release of Mighty No. 9 we have been working hard with our partners to resolve any network issues and porting work necessary to publish Mighty No. 9 on the various platforms. However, the issues relating to the network modes were more critical than expected, and it has become apparent that we will need to delay the game from its February 9th release date. We have been working up until the very last moment to resolve these issues in order to make the February release, but it has become clear that we no longer have enough time to fix the issues and have everything prepared for release.

The reason for the delay is rooted in bugs inside the network modes, and specifically problems with matchmaking. There are two large reasons for this problem, one of them being the large number of platforms supported (the solution for each platform is slightly different) and the other stems from the fact that the engine we are using is no longer being updated which means adjustments for matchmaking and online code are being made manually (actually reprogramming parts of the engine by the dev team themselves). Unfortunately, this is all a result of miscalculations on the part of us, the development staff. As a result, our fans who have been looking forward to Mighty No. 9 have been forced to wait for over half a year longer than expected, and for that we are sincerely sorry. I want to take this chance to apologize personally, and on the behalf of the development staff.

Over the end of the year break and the beginning of 2016, the development staff has been working on these issues non-stop without break, and thanks to their hard work the end is in sight. We continue to make progress to resolve these last issues that have been holding up the release of the game on the different platforms.

Because we are constantly working on it in cooperation with all our partners, we want to wait and make sure that everything is confirmed to be ready before giving a new specific release date. But we expect it to realistically be in Spring 2016.

For this 3rd delay of the game, we have no excuses for disappointing our fans and especially our backers once more. We want to take this chance to express our sincerest apologies to everyone who has looked forward to the release.

Although we are far past our original release date, the release of Mighty No. 9 is still right around the corner. We are all working hard to make sure that we can finish and release the game to all of our fans as quickly as possible, and ask once more for your support of this project that we have created together over these last few years.

Keiji Inafune

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1285 on: January 25, 2016, 01:18:05 PM
*sigh* I almost feel like it would have been better if they announced that they would can the online and do local co-op instead but I would imagine that would still result in a huge [parasitic bomb] storm of backers complaining about not getting  everything promised, which they already were anyway.

The worst thing is the online is all they are working on and is taking the majority of their time.  If they also said they'll fine tune other things like making the graphics a little better, particularly the animations and lack of mouth movement, due to negative feedback it might have gone over slightly better, but I would imagine it's not possible with this complicated networking issue to even attempt that.  Not to mention people don't seem to particularly understand just how expensive it is to patch things so just adding the online stuff later would just be another expense that should have been avoided, but I wonder if even that is moot now due to how many man hours they have to spend on this anyway.

I still don't really give too many shits about delays as I always don't since the Miyamoto saying that a delayed game will eventually be good and a bad game will forever be bad something I take to heart, but even I find this disheartening.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1286 on: January 25, 2016, 07:29:25 PM
Hahahahaha

Oh god this is pathetic

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1287 on: January 25, 2016, 07:31:55 PM
I truly pity them, I don't see them recovering their reputation for a long time, if they can.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1288 on: January 25, 2016, 07:38:30 PM
They really shouldn't have promised the online stuff, but that's me. [parasitic bomb]'s always more complicated than anticipated.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1289 on: January 25, 2016, 07:41:47 PM
I agree on that front, and possibly not including so many multi console releases.  It's best to keep it simple for something like this.  Besides I think local co-op for stages rather than racing would have been much more interesting, but that's probably just me.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #1290 on: January 25, 2016, 09:25:32 PM
I didn't even realize the game was so close to releasing again. Either that's because of the frequent-feeling delays, or that buzz has all but stopped. Doesn't affect me either way. I can be patient, and this doesn't have a "Must Play Now" vibe for me. It'll be ready when it's ready.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1291 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:41 PM
This whole thing has been nothing short of a disaster.

Inafune's solo development in general has.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1292 on: January 25, 2016, 10:20:59 PM
I'm sure there's worse development stories than this, but it's still pretty shitty.  Hope Re-Core does well.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #1293 on: January 25, 2016, 10:57:47 PM
I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that it's giving them this much trouble (understandable as said before, these aren't exactly big development teams at IntiCreates or Comcept), or the fact that part of the problem is due to Unreal Engine 3 not being updated anymore. You know, because Epic Games has Unreal Engine 4 out, which even came out at a time relatively early in MN9's development. I think everyone could've understood a delay if they swapped over, but now they're in too deep, and getting stonewalled by an engine that a lot of developers were moving on from anyway.

Besides Arc System Works, but they managed a damn miracle with UE3 in their own right.

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1294 on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:32 PM
Tha campaign had been kind of a trainwreck, sad after its initial success...
Anyone else thinks the game looks kinda disappointing actually? I do

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1295 on: January 25, 2016, 11:11:09 PM
I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that it's giving them this much trouble (understandable as said before, these aren't exactly big development teams at IntiCreates or Comcept), or the fact that part of the problem is due to Unreal Engine 3 not being updated anymore. You know, because Epic Games has Unreal Engine 4 out, which even came out at a time relatively early in MN9's development. I think everyone could've understood a delay if they swapped over, but now they're in too deep, and getting stonewalled by an engine that a lot of developers were moving on from anyway.

Besides Arc System Works, but they managed a damn miracle with UE3 in their own right.
Yeah it probably would have made sense to switch to UE 4 but I'm not in Game Development, did they manage to get UE 4 support for the Wii U, I remember them citing that for not making a Wii U version of Red Ash.

Tha campaign had been kind of a trainwreck, sad after its initial success...
Anyone else thinks the game looks kinda disappointing actually? I do
Pretty much 80-90% of everyone does, even though I think it's okay it needed more polish in a lot of areas.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1296 on: January 25, 2016, 11:21:19 PM
I'm sure there's worse development stories than this, but it's still pretty shitty.

Yes. Sonic X-treme.

If I recall, one of the staff members wanted to commit suicide because of development hell.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1297 on: January 25, 2016, 11:23:16 PM
Yeah I remember hearing that was hell on earth, the suicide didn't surprise me. 

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #1298 on: January 26, 2016, 12:54:28 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHY DID I BACK THIS [parasitic bomb]

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1299 on: January 26, 2016, 01:11:17 AM
Honestly I'm starting to wonder if Hideki Kamiya's quote should have been reversed about Inafune being a business man and not a creator.  Then again I also don't think it's fair to hold Inafune solely responsible, questionable statements on MN9 cartoons/movie/and potential sequel aside, because Comcept in general seems to be [tornado fang]ing up.