Serious topic: Do you support game guides written by fellow community members?

Shiki Tohno · 2213

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
So here's a curious question I've been asking myself for a while.

All of us, at one point or another, have used guides from GameFAQs, right? Right. Given the kind of site it is, it's pretty logical to imagine that they have ways to track the amount of views each individual guide has, if only merely for statistical purposes that serve us, as mere users of the site, no real purpose.

But even if it is to tacitly show your appreciation for the work done, even if no one outside GameFAQs themselves notice, when you look up guides for a game that's part of your gaming community's focus, do you support guides written by your fellow community members?

Allow me to explain with a personal example.

Let's turn our clocks back four years, and settle ourselves in mid-2004, right when MMZ3 took the world by assault. I was the first in the MegaMan community to submit an every-nook-and-cranny guide for the game to GameFAQs (viewable here), and the first to publish an entire game guide covering every single aspect of the game, even if it's been superseded/overshadowed by newer, more recently-submitted guides. At the time, those of you who for one reason or another decided to look up a guide, did you use mine? And if you did, why?

I myself, for all the years I've been using GameFAQs, I've always been on the lookout for guides by people I know. When I first had access to the internet AND an SNES at the same time (hey, blame third-world countries' shitty economy), I know I spent hours perusing Reeve's FAQ for the first MMX game, and also did so with all the other guides he wrote for both GFAQs and his own site, originally MegaMan X Online and later The MegaMan Network. Even when he stepped down and Tim took over, every time I need a guide on a MegaMan game, I usually look for names recognizable within the community, if only to show an unspoken appreciation to them for all the work it takes to write out a detailed guide.

So what about you? Do you simply take whatever guide looks meatier, or do you explicitly look out for people you know and try to support them in a tacit way in their work?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I never check the authors of guides. The idea hadn't even occurred to me before you brought it up.

Possibly this is evidence that at heart I'm an ungrateful dick?

Archer

I never check the authors of guides. The idea hadn't even occurred to me before you brought it up.
This.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
This just reminded me of the ZXA Sidequests thread that I wrote before the Great Crash... ;O;

On to the question...
I don't usually look at the author of the guides...
However, if it is done by someone I know, I will look at it first, then maybe compare with another at a much later time.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I open all the guides that seem relevant, hit Ctrl+F, and search for keywords until I got what I needed.

It's that simple.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
I always check the author and how big the document is.
That shows how much dedication was put into it.

There are many guides being worked on that never made it to GameFAQs and stayed on RPM.
Some of them that I remember is Z4 Zero Knuckle list and RMRM/MMPU Challenge Mode guide.
Being recognized for making something big is great and should be appreciated more.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I didn't really use guides for platformers, but I did use them a lot to go around the japanese versions of many Rockman.EXE. I usually followed Chibi Soma's walkthroughs because his were the fastest around and honestly some parts were hilarious. I also sometimes checked h0tSh0tz's stuff to look up for some decent folders.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
I open all the guides that seem relevant, hit Ctrl+F, and search for keywords until I got what I needed.

It's that simple.
Pretty much this. I never check who's the author.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I've really only used GameFAQS for Pokemon info, so I can't say that I have.

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
When I'm after info of a certain game, no matter if I know it from heads to tails, I check ALL the FAQs to see if there's anything I don't know or just some interesting input.

'course, if it's something humungous like an RPG I'll play Eenie-Minnie-Moe and the choosen one it is.

Also: CTRL+F/F3.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
i've never payed attention to the author. i always check for content and readability, not necessarily in that order.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.