Your Fondest Splitscreen Memories

Bueno Excelente · 3031

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:32 PM
Everybody knows that splitscreen isn't as common in games as it used to be. It's usually considered a thing of the past, replaced for online. But we all have fond memories of our home multiplayer sessions with our friends, kicking ass. So let's share some of them, shall we?

Myself, my fondest Splitscreen memory is probably from playing Tony Hawk's pro Skater 2 with my friends. We'd pick Spider-Man and black suit Spider-Man, and we'd just play all day, trying to one-up each other with our combos. At a certain point, we got what was the funniest fall we'd ever seen in the game, lotsa hurt, but we all started laughing. From there on, we'd start making falls happen, trying to be hilarious as possible, making each other laugh. It was great.

I also remember the Sonic 3 races back in the Mega Drive. Multiplayer back then was basic, but it was so damn good. The levels were short and simplistic, but we still managed to make it competitive and really fast. Must've been my first splitscreen game. This one time, this kid I was playing with at a birthday party slapped me because he lost. I just went "You just angry cause you looooost!" and he cried all day. My first trolling. ;___;

Anyway, share your memories. Just don't make it 100% Mario Kart.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:39:09 PM
Ah, good old Mario Kart 64.  We played that a lot back when I was in elementary school.  I vaguely remember getting stuck in the sand on Luigi's Circut/Raceway (I forget which name it is) before going into that tunnel.  We also played stuff like F-Zero X and Mario Party (the mini games count as split screen lol).

I haven't played many split-screen games as of late, mainly because I'm mostly into fighting games, which usually take place on a single screen.  I have played a bit of the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi series with friends, though.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:11:22 AM
I do believe Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are the four games that have taken the most splitscreen multiplayer time for me over the years. I miss those days sometimes.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:14:50 AM
Not many for me. Mainly just Need for Speed II and Sonic 3.

NFSII was a blast playing it with my bro in splitscreen, and was probably one of the best racing games i've ever played. It was especially fun recording playthroughs of your races along with its badass soundtrack. There was this one hilarious glitch, where i rammed into a van and the impact caused it to fly into the air and never came back down. I had my car parked for several seconds, wondering what the hell happened to the van. Back then we would use a single keyboard (i believe there was a joystick option as well), and race with no issues whatsoever. Controls didn't feel cramped or anything with 2 player as one might think. On top of all that, you could race with A [chameleon sting]ing UFO AND T-REX (yep, you heard right).

I also tried this fan made game long ago called Sonic Robo Blast, which was glitchy as all hell, but had a decent splitscreen multiplayer. 

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:15:46 AM
I remember playing Multiplayer in Goldeneye with Slappers Only on. The owner of the N64 would always pick the short guy, and thus incredibly irritating to kill. Also remember playing some Mario Kart 64 on the best Battle map ever, Block Fort. That's about it, I think.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 12:28:15 AM
I only remember Goldeneye, and some Halo.
But my memories are hazy at best, so nothing specific.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:28:22 AM
Not many for me. Mainly just Need for Speed II and Sonic 3.

NFSII was a blast playing it with my bro in splitscreen, and was probably one of the best racing games i've ever played. It was especially fun recording playthroughs of your races along with its badass soundtrack. There was this one hilarious glitch, where i rammed into a van and the impact caused it to fly into the air and never came back down. I had my car parked for several seconds, wondering what the hell happened to the van. Back then we would use a single keyboard (i believe there was a joystick option as well), and race with no issues whatsoever. Controls didn't feel cramped or anything with 2 player as one might think. On top of all that, you could race with A [chameleon sting]ing UFO AND T-REX (yep, you heard right).

I also tried this fan made game long ago called Sonic Robo Blast, which was glitchy as all hell, but had a decent splitscreen multiplayer. 

Ah yeah, SRB2, thats a good game, never played multiplayer on it though.

Hmm... to be honest, I've never really done much with splitscreen, I've played black ops with my dad recently on Splitscreen Online.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 12:46:40 AM
There was that one time I went to a Gameworks with a bud and blasted through Time Crisis 4, goshdarn was that third boss hard.
My more recent memories would be playing Modern Warfare 2 and Warhawk, very enjoyable, especially the Spec Ops missions.
The greatest memories would be of fighting games, Marvel VS. Capcom 2, Melty Blood, Street Fighter, Smash Brothers, Fate/Unlimited Codes, and Naruto, to which I'm a bit ashamed of playing-but it was good mindless fun!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 12:51:41 AM
There was that one time I went to a Gameworks with a bud and blasted through Time Crisis 4, goshdarn was that third boss hard.
My more recent memories would be playing Modern Warfare 2 and Warhawk, very enjoyable, especially the Spec Ops missions.
The greatest memories would be of fighting games, Marvel VS. Capcom 2, Melty Blood, Street Fighter, Smash Brothers, Fate/Unlimited Codes, and Naruto, to which I'm a bit ashamed of playing-but it was good mindless fun!
Split. Screen. Means no game where you can see both players in the same screen. Or else this would be a "local multiplayer memories" topic.

Anyway, does anyone remember that the old DBZ games always had split screen when you went too far? It happened in the Mega Drive title, The Legend for Saturn and Final Bout for PS1. I always thought that was funny.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 01:06:17 AM
Toejam & Earl is one of those "split-screen when the players move away" games.  Had lots of fun with that one.  My brother and I obsessively read every elevator line out-loud when we play together.  And the schoolbook yell.

Another of my favorites, which I sadly don't get to play often, is Star Wars Rebel Strike.  Whenever possible, big bro takes X-Wing and I take B-Wing.  I remember the first time we blew up the Death Star, we celebrated with the wiggly-hands thing from the Super Mario Bros. movie.

I love those nerdy moments. >w<

And yeah, Mario Kart 64.  'nuff said.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:23:33 AM
I remember how everybody wanted to play Super Mario Kart.

"I don't wanna play that! Let's play SMK!"
"This game's boring, Let's play SMK"
"Come on! SMK"

My uncle won't stop asking me to let him play SMK, I don't even have my SNES anymore! Other than that, I don't remember having played other splitscreen games...

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 01:42:09 AM
Split. Screen. Means no game where you can see both players in the same screen. Or else this would be a "local multiplayer memories" topic.

Anyway, does anyone remember that the old DBZ games always had split screen when you went too far? It happened in the Mega Drive title, The Legend for Saturn and Final Bout for PS1. I always thought that was funny.
Oh poo, Lets just ignore most of my comments except for the Warhawk and Mordern Warfare 2.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 03:06:40 AM
Oh poo, Lets just ignore most of my comments except for the Warhawk and Mordern Warfare 2.
's cool. I honestly loved those games too, but let's not deviate into a "multiplayer general" thing.

By the way, which recent games provide with split screen? Recent as in 2010 and beyond. I know about Wii's Goldeneye, which I'm playing at the moment. Also, Killzone 3.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 07:39:31 AM
My three favorite Split Screen memories all come from Perfect Dark...

1. During one of our many, MANY multiplayer matches, my friend Crazy Dave & I are in the middle of a shoot out between two rooms in the desert level. He comments on how this is a good fight, and I respond in this way:

PB - "Yeah, it's a great fight. But of course, like every great fight we have, it'll be ruined by Lou coming behind one of us and shooting us in the back. HERE, allow me to demonstrate!"

I turn around and just start shooting INSTANTLY as Lou somehow comes around the corner into the room. No screen looking was involved.

2. Another match involving myself, Crazy Dave, and Ninja Lou. This time we were on the level with the elevator & glass floor. As with every match, we had License to Kill mode on (one shot kills). Lou was above me and fired a grenade literally at my feet. My screen went from Orange to Red back to Orange again, and I didn't die. I literally walked right out of the fire. As Lou was struggling to make sense of it all:

PB - "Yeah Lou, I'm gonna have to let you kill me. I have no idea how the [tornado fang] I'm still alive."

This was both a gesture of honor on my part, as well as a reassurance that Lou wouldn't smash his controller.

3. This last one was just between me & Lou. I had left a Dragon gun Proxy Mine on Felicity level (the one from Goldeneye) door between the lab & bathroom. Lou was holding the K7 Avenger, the one with the threat detector, and I was literally watching his screen as he looked DIRECTLY at the point where I put the Proxy Mine, with the threat detector not detecting the threat. So, as he opens the door, KABLOOEY! My response:

PB - *laughing* "I was looking RIGHT at your screen. It DIDN'T detect the threat. That was awesome!"

And there we have it!

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 07:44:48 AM
From what I remember...

Twisted Metal 2 for being a twisted metal 2, especially in Paris stage. Playing cat and dog inside Eiffel tower is fun.

Chocobo racing, I remember checking out my cousin screen to see what kind of power up he got. 

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 12:46:55 PM
My three favorite Split Screen memories all come from Perfect Dark...

1. During one of our many, MANY multiplayer matches, my friend Crazy Dave & I are in the middle of a shoot out between two rooms in the desert level. He comments on how this is a good fight, and I respond in this way:

PB - "Yeah, it's a great fight. But of course, like every great fight we have, it'll be ruined by Lou coming behind one of us and shooting us in the back. HERE, allow me to demonstrate!"

I turn around and just start shooting INSTANTLY as Lou somehow comes around the corner into the room. No screen looking was involved.

2. Another match involving myself, Crazy Dave, and Ninja Lou. This time we were on the level with the elevator & glass floor. As with every match, we had License to Kill mode on (one shot kills). Lou was above me and fired a grenade literally at my feet. My screen went from Orange to Red back to Orange again, and I didn't die. I literally walked right out of the fire. As Lou was struggling to make sense of it all:

PB - "Yeah Lou, I'm gonna have to let you kill me. I have no idea how the [tornado fang] I'm still alive."

This was both a gesture of honor on my part, as well as a reassurance that Lou wouldn't smash his controller.

3. This last one was just between me & Lou. I had left a Dragon gun Proxy Mine on Felicity level (the one from Goldeneye) door between the lab & bathroom. Lou was holding the K7 Avenger, the one with the threat detector, and I was literally watching his screen as he looked DIRECTLY at the point where I put the Proxy Mine, with the threat detector not detecting the threat. So, as he opens the door, KABLOOEY! My response:

PB - *laughing* "I was looking RIGHT at your screen. It DIDN'T detect the threat. That was awesome!"

And there we have it!
There is ALWAYS screen-watching. Even if you don't notice it, you're subconsciously watching it. That's the delicious factor of splitscreen. =P

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 06:50:07 PM
Sonic 2... good God that one cave or whatever level... IT MADE ME AND MY FRIEND RAGE!
But on the other hand, there has been a lot of laughs too. : P

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 10:49:55 PM
There is ALWAYS screen-watching. Even if you don't notice it, you're subconsciously watching it. That's the delicious factor of splitscreen. =P

I just meant at that precise moment. Otherwise, yeah it's damn near impossible to avoid.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 11:07:45 PM
I just meant at that precise moment. Otherwise, yeah it's damn near impossible to avoid.
No stealth allowed. Take no prisoners. Fight to the death.

My favorite things about splitscreen. That, and it feels so multiplayer. A personal experience with someone else, something to actually cooperate at when it comes to TV-watching.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:10 PM
I always wondered how you could NOT screen watch.
Many vague memories of fun with goldeneye and perfect dark, and some mk64.
Proximity mines only, lights out + paintball mode, sitting in that one spot on the goldeneye level in PD with the Far Sight and being an ass...

Slightly marred by the fact that I would punch my friend in the shoulder whenever he owned me. He moved away when I was still young, and the last time we played together he owned me and I yelled "oh come on" or something, and he half-flinched reflexively (while grinning like a troll at me, but still)...

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 11:07:03 PM
STARCRAFT 64

*is shot*

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)