The Double Edged Nintendo Fallacy

Bueno Excelente · 26563

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: May 07, 2010, 05:46:44 PM
Nintendo = Company that just announced yet another Mii minigamefest game.

Us = Screwed in terms of fulfilling game franchises with story and long-term gameplay.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:35:36 PM
Sparky tells me that [parasitic bomb] almost everyday for the past month or so...

I'm saying it after re-evaluating a tease at the end of most recent Nintendo Power for "a first look" at a new game featuring a "recognizable hero". All of this was set to a starry backdrop and a large pink nebula blob was in view.

I didn't do well first time here, few years ago. I did about one or two topics, and everyone started flaming just because I said I liked FPS games.

Nothing against FPS gamers, just that tone with which you're lambasting Nintendo for poor output and "yet another minigame compliation". System trolling isn't cool.

EDIT - And now a quip about changing a franchise too?

That all said, let's start over. I hate seeing folks get worked up over something so silly.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:49:11 PM
I'm saying it after re-evaluating a tease at the end of most recent Nintendo Power for "a first look" at a new game featuring a "recognizable hero". All of this was set to a starry backdrop and a large pink nebula blob was in view.

Nothing against FPS gamers, just that tone with which you're lambasting Nintendo for poor output and "yet another minigame compliation". System trolling isn't cool.

EDIT - And now a quip about changing a franchise too?

That all said, let's start over. I hate seeing folks get worked up over something so silly.
I'm lambasting Nintendo because they've failed to see to the needs of the fans that have supported them for quite awhile, and are instead focusing on Mii-related games, such as Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and now Wii Party. Nothing wrong with making money. My only problem is that Nintendo has some of the most hardcore fans of the entire gaming industry. (not me BTW) That have stood by it through thick and thin. And the way they're repaying them, seems very unsuitable, by switching to another audience completely. I'm sayiung they're failing to see to the needs of the fans. I love Nintendo games when they're well made. I bought a Wii specifically for this. But it saddens me when it's just a dust-catcher lately. Aside from Sin & Punishment 2, I haven't played anything on it for awhile. I am not system-bashing. I just think that the potencial of the system hasn't been used at all. I bought the Wii Motion Plus, and so far, I've used it for TWO games. Ad I've had it for nearly a year, with no upcoming games on the horizon that require it. This isn't good.

And yeah, franchises need evolving. The DS is pretty well-stocked with Kirby Superstar, so why not gamble on a 3D platforming Kirby? See what comes out of there? It would be interesting to take the platforming Kirby games to new places.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:58:58 PM
Nintendo doesn't have the brass balls to do that, and it would [acid burst] off fans that just want the same thing all over again, so, no.
Yeah... just wanted to say that this applies to much much more than Nintendo, I can guarantee you that.

As for not finding games to play on the Wii... maybe you haven't looked hard enough? There's plenty available, if you're willing to look for a bit longer. Not to mention, plenty should be coming out within the next few months. I'm no fanboy or anything, but each time I've seen that "Wii has no games" comment it was mostly due to the person saying said statement not actually bothering to look for any.

Now, for the topic at hand... I'd be up for a new Kirby game, as long as it's a platformer of some sort. Not too sure I want another side venture like Air Ride.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:06:23 PM
I'm lambasting Nintendo because they've failed to see to the needs of the fans that have supported them for quite awhile, and are instead focusing on Mii-related games, such as Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and now Wii Party. Nothing wrong with making money. My only problem is that Nintendo has some of the most hardcore fans of the entire gaming industry. (not me BTW) That have stood by it through thick and thin. And the way they're repaying them, seems very unsuitable, by switching to another audience completely.

Ok, sorry, but whenever I see someone say this I just can't see where they are coming from. Lets make a list shall we?
[spoiler=long list]
Casual Nintendo games
-Wii Sports
-Wii Play
-Wii Music
-Wii Sports Resort
-Wii Fit Plus
-Wii Party
-Big Brain Academy
-Wario Ware Smooth Move
-Mario Party 8 (the last 2 are only here if you want to count all party games)

VS

-Excite Truck
-Excite Bots
-Super Paper Mario
-Pokémon Battle Revolution
-Mario Strikers Charged
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
-Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
-Battalion Wars 2
-Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Endless Ocean
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Mario Kart Wii
-Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
-Animal Crossing: City Folk (Ok, maybe to some people this goes in the other list)
-Disaster: Day of Crisis
-Mario Super Sluggers
-Captain Rainbow (Japan only)
-Punch-Out!!
-New Super Mario Bros. Wii
-Another Code: R
-Tact of Magic (Japan only)
-Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
-Zangeki no REGINLEIV (Japan only)
-Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
-Super Mario Galaxy 2
-Metroid: Other M
-FlingSmash
-Xenoblade
-The Last Story
-The Legend of Zelda Wii
-Line Attack Heroes
-Kirby (whenever it comes out -__-)
-Pikmin 3 (what I said for the above)
-Cosmic Walker (and this one too)[/spoiler]

See anything wrong with the way some people see things compared to the actual facts?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:10:30 PM
Yeah... just wanted to say that this applies to much much more than Nintendo, I can guarantee you that.

As for not finding games to play on the Wii... maybe you haven't looked hard enough? There's plenty available, if you're willing to look for a bit longer. Not to mention, plenty should be coming out within the next few months. I'm no fanboy or anything, but each time I've seen that "Wii has no games" comment it was mostly due to the person saying said statement not actually bothering to look for any.

Now, for the topic at hand... I'd be up for a new Kirby game, as long as it's a platformer of some sort. Not too sure I want another side venture like Air Ride.
Recently, I've played No More Heroes 2 (A bit of a dissapointment, but it was quite awhile ago), Sin & Punishment 2 (Had already played the japanese version back when it came out, awesome game, best thing for the Wii this year so far) and Red Steel 2 (borrowed it, it's repetitive and dull, lasts little time and it's painfully derivative). So far, haven't had much fun this year. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was better on the PS2, Fragile was a total dissapointment and honestly, aside from the upcoming Mario Galaxy 2, which will be the first decent Nintendo game in a big while, I got better games to waste my time in. Just this month (in my country), I got Splinter Cell, Alan Wake, Super Street Fighter 4 and Red Dead Revolver to look forward to. Not to mention Rocket Knight and a few others I haven't thought of. These were just the titles that came to my head, I'm betting there's quite a bit more.

Back to the topic. Yes, I was talking about a platformer. A 3D platformer evolution, ala Mario 64. It would work in the way that all of Kirby's powers can pretty much be granted 3D gameplay without loss in the experience itself, I'm betting. And it could be fun seeing a Kirby game played in 3D.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:15:31 PM
So it's like that one other time that you lost your virginity to a Twilight fan.

At least I know other people who thought the sequel to NMH was just.. a sequel. But by far, I think you missed out on Okami, let me tell you that.

Which I plan to get eventually, when I have the cash.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:25:36 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:50 PM
Ok, sorry, but whenever I see someone say this I just can't see where they are coming from. Lets make a list shall we?
[spoiler=long list]
Casual Nintendo games
-Wii Sports
-Wii Play
-Wii Music
-Wii Sports Resort
-Wii Fit Plus
-Wii Party
-Big Brain Academy
-Wario Ware Smooth Move
-Mario Party 8 (the last 2 are only here if you want to count all party games)

VS

-Excite Truck
-Excite Bots
-Super Paper Mario
-Pokémon Battle Revolution
-Mario Strikers Charged
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
-Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
-Battalion Wars 2
-Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Endless Ocean
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Mario Kart Wii
-Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
-Animal Crossing: City Folk (Ok, maybe to some people this goes in the other list)
-Disaster: Day of Crisis
-Mario Super Sluggers
-Captain Rainbow (Japan only)
-Punch-Out!!
-New Super Mario Bros. Wii
-Another Code: R
-Tact of Magic (Japan only)
-Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
-Zangeki no REGINLEIV (Japan only)
-Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
-Super Mario Galaxy 2
-Metroid: Other M
-FlingSmash
-Xenoblade
-The Last Story
-The Legend of Zelda Wii
-Line Attack Heroes
-Kirby (whenever it comes out -__-)
-Pikmin 3 (what I said for the above)
-Cosmic Walker (and this one too)[/spoiler]

See anything wrong with the way some people see things compared to the actual facts?

I'm talking about AAA experiences that are worth my time. Nintendo certainly isn't banking on those. And I did notice you put quite a bit of unreleased games there, some to which we don't have details, trailers, or even screenshots. And japanese releases which won't come here ever, such as Captain Rainbow. See the problem? And I'm talking about constant releases that keep me busy. I've played alot of Wii games. But 90% of the time, my console is gathering dust. Nintendo isn't pushing for good games as much as it should, and we all know it. So please cut the crap.

Posted on: May 07, 2010, 06:26:18 PM
Master Wii List~
Castlevania Judgement? Dead Rising: Chop 'Till You Drop? Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity?

Forgive me for being kinda suspicious about the list's quality, buuuuut...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 07:43:24 PM
And I did notice you put quite a bit of unreleased games there, some to which we don't have details, trailers, or even screenshots. And japanese releases which won't come here ever, such as Captain Rainbow. See the problem?.

You're complaining about a game that was only announced today, I'd say it's fair. And the not in NA games, so? They're still 1st party Nintendo games, if you want to complain at someone go do it at NoA.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:47:28 PM
You're complaining about a game that was only announced today, I'd say it's fair. And the not in NA games, so? They're still 1st party Nintendo games, if you want to complain at someone go do it at NoA.
I'm complaining about a game that is set to follow the same road Nintendo doesn't seem keen on deviating from for a single moment. And I'm complaining about Nintendo as a whole.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 07:56:46 PM
Wait, did this topic really become list wars?

I'm lambasting Nintendo because they've failed to see to the needs of the fans that have supported them for quite awhile, and are instead focusing on Mii-related games, such as Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and now Wii Party. Nothing wrong with making money. My only problem is that Nintendo has some of the most hardcore fans of the entire gaming industry. (not me BTW) That have stood by it through thick and thin. And the way they're repaying them, seems very unsuitable, by switching to another audience completely. I'm sayiung they're failing to see to the needs of the fans. I love Nintendo games when they're well made. I bought a Wii specifically for this. But it saddens me when it's just a dust-catcher lately. Aside from Sin & Punishment 2, I haven't played anything on it for awhile. I am not system-bashing. I just think that the potencial of the system hasn't been used at all. I bought the Wii Motion Plus, and so far, I've used it for TWO games. Ad I've had it for nearly a year, with no upcoming games on the horizon that require it. This isn't good.

And yeah, franchises need evolving. The DS is pretty well-stocked with Kirby Superstar, so why not gamble on a 3D platforming Kirby? See what comes out of there? It would be interesting to take the platforming Kirby games to new places.

OK, I'll put my two cents in.

Consider this, with every new entry into the console generations since the days of the NES, while Nintendo's quality and quantity of output has remained at a semi-constant, their audience (the dedicated fanbase you've mentioned) has been steadily dwindling. In the last generation, not only did they have the smallest sell through of console units (thus a more limited market to sell to), they now had to deal with a marring of their image thanks to gamer's perception of them (remember the Nintendo is kiddy lines?) and "the purple lunchkit". Nintendo saw this and through quite a bit of a thought process, they sought to move forward in a different way. Rather than go toe to toe with corporate juggernauts who had more than enough money from other venues to go the bigger better and more badass route, or deal specifically with the fickle needs of a easily flip-flopping bunch of gamers, they took a chance on a new market with the mindset of converting them into newer generation N fans and gaming fans in general.

Now I can talk business strategy and why this is such an amazing accomplishment all day, but as you said, it's all really about money in the end. Now strictly talking as gamers, Nintendo hasn't once done anything that shows an abandoning of the gamers who have been with them from the start. The Marios still get made (looks over at his shelf and sees New Super Mario Bros. Wii & Super Mario Galaxy near his Galaxy 2 preorder slip) and are out-Marioing most Mario games released in the past as well as most other games in the process (IMO), Zelda didn't become a secret to everybody with 4 games being released within the franchise alone this gen, 3 if you want to be extra specific. (Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks. Outlier - Crossbow Training.) Then there's also EAD who have basically gone on record to say that if they can't do something amazing with the next Wii Zelda, then they've complete failed. Hell, Metroid the dark horse of Nintendo got a direct series sequel in Prime 3, a compilation box set nearing Super Mario Allstars levels of good, and a new adventure with a different and more dynamic play style. Then we have tons of different smaller scale games, revivals of old franchises (Punch Out AND Sin & Punishment 2? In one gen? What act of God got us that? XD), and numerous (yes that's right) 3rd party games that don't get the glamour and glitz debuts of big shots on the other consoles, but offer their own brand of quality and surprise entertainment.

Now, while I did put out some bits to try and get you to see things differently, I will agree with you on two things, namely the underutlilization of Motion Plus and how Nintendo has not been giving their IPs an equal time to shine. The former issue has more to do with the fact that at this point, Nintendo seems to have had too many resources being used in different ventures to make content requiring M+ for the past few months/years. They have however gone on to mention that their biggest future project involving M+ would be Zelda Wii. On top of this, they have also had a hand in Red Steel 2 as they willingly sent over a good group of folks from Retro Studios to oversee the development. There is also the upcoming Flingsmash. Sure you look at this and think 3 games, big whoop, but remember this, these things take time, and when it seems like Nintendo themselves have to dip their toes into the water before any worthwhile movements start, it's going to take a while when they are stretched thin enough as is.

The latter issue is also a byproduct of the limited wiggle room Nintendo has thanks to all it's resources being used at full without breather time. Since all of these groups are focused on creating entries into the IP of choice they have to get out at a certain time, they are also forced to put others on the backburner. It's all about priorities in that regard.

I'd love to continue this train of thought, but I feel that as it stands I'm wildly off topic in a thread devoted to Kirby. XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:10:27 PM
I honestly think that instead of separating this into another thread this discussion should've just been let alone to die =/

Archer

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 08:11:20 PM
I honestly think that instead of separating this into another thread this discussion should've just been let alone to die =/
does it really matter either way

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 08:12:02 PM

lol RPM

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 08:12:30 PM
Trying something out here. I split off the posts about the Nintendo issues from the Kirby thread which you can view here. Anything regarding our favorite pink puffball goes there. This new topic however is going to be an interesting gamble. We'll be discussing the Nintendo direction and seeing where the disconnect between gamers is. I'll also be trying to flex my weight and show off different view points for you all to consider.

Now a topic as scarily divisive as this is going to need some guidelines. As such here they are:

1.) Don't post if you don't have a clear point you can and/or will back up if asked for an opinion.
2.) Questions are accepted. Accusations and member trolling are laughed at and punished.
3.) No system trolling. No system trolling. No system trolling.
4.) Be civil. It's a discussion about video games, not metaphysics, politics, terrorism, or the existence of Baby Robo Raptor Jesus. XD
5.) I don't mind a joke or two, but if this thread goes nuts, it's getting shitcanned and you all lose some respect from me.

Edit - Vixy, show me how to take over opening posts sometime please? XD

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:57 PM
I love Nintendo. Nintendo makes me happ-

Miyamoto ponders charging for Wii online connectivity

God damn it...

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 08:19:50 PM
I love Nintendo. Nintendo makes me happ-

God damn it...

I saw that earlier and was wondering what the hell it could be all about. It doesn't help that most people will jump in and use how terrible an experience they've had with WFC this gen as evidence that Nintendo will be the same way with their online capabilities next gen. Then you introduce this story and all hell breaks loose. XD

Personally though, I'm more partial to that second idea he had where everyone has free online, but you can pay optionally and get more exclusive content. It makes more sense from a business perspective if Nintendo still wants to go the route of "everything for everyone" and it gives the dedicated something extra to value.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 08:22:10 PM
If it actually meant dedicated servers and better service, I'd have little problem paying for it.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 08:30:49 PM
Wait, did this topic really become list wars?

OK, I'll put my two cents in.

Consider this, with every new entry into the console generations since the days of the NES, while Nintendo's quality and quantity of output has remained at a semi-constant, their audience (the dedicated fanbase you've mentioned) has been steadily dwindling. In the last generation, not only did they have the smallest sell through of console units (thus a more limited market to sell to), they now had to deal with a marring of their image thanks to gamer's perception of them (remember the Nintendo is kiddy lines?) and "the purple lunchkit". Nintendo saw this and through quite a bit of a thought process, they sought to move forward in a different way. Rather than go toe to toe with corporate juggernauts who had more than enough money from other venues to go the bigger better and more badass route, or deal specifically with the fickle needs of a easily flip-flopping bunch of gamers, they took a chance on a new market with the mindset of converting them into newer generation N fans and gaming fans in general.

Now I can talk business strategy and why this is such an amazing accomplishment all day, but as you said, it's all really about money in the end. Now strictly talking as gamers, Nintendo hasn't once done anything that shows an abandoning of the gamers who have been with them from the start. The Marios still get made (looks over at his shelf and sees New Super Mario Bros. Wii & Super Mario Galaxy near his Galaxy 2 preorder slip) and are out-Marioing most Mario games released in the past as well as most other games in the process (IMO), Zelda didn't become a secret to everybody with 4 games being released within the franchise alone this gen, 3 if you want to be extra specific. (Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks. Outlier - Crossbow Training.) Then there's also EAD who have basically gone on record to say that if they can't do something amazing with the next Wii Zelda, then they've complete failed. Hell, Metroid the dark horse of Nintendo got a direct series sequel in Prime 3, a compilation box set nearing Super Mario Allstars levels of good, and a new adventure with a different and more dynamic play style. Then we have tons of different smaller scale games, revivals of old franchises (Punch Out AND Sin & Punishment 2? In one gen? What act of God got us that? XD), and numerous (yes that's right) 3rd party games that don't get the glamour and glitz debuts of big shots on the other consoles, but offer their own brand of quality and surprise entertainment.

Now, while I did put out some bits to try and get you to see things differently, I will agree with you on two things, namely the underutlilization of Motion Plus and how Nintendo has not been giving their IPs an equal time to shine. The former issue has more to do with the fact that at this point, Nintendo seems to have had too many resources being used in different ventures to make content requiring M+ for the past few months/years. They have however gone on to mention that their biggest future project involving M+ would be Zelda Wii. On top of this, they have also had a hand in Red Steel 2 as they willingly sent over a good group of folks from Retro Studios to oversee the development. There is also the upcoming Flingsmash. Sure you look at this and think 3 games, big whoop, but remember this, these things take time, and when it seems like Nintendo themselves have to dip their toes into the water before any worthwhile movements start, it's going to take a while when they are stretched thin enough as is.

The latter issue is also a byproduct of the limited wiggle room Nintendo has thanks to all it's resources being used at full without breather time. Since all of these groups are focused on creating entries into the IP of choice they have to get out at a certain time, they are also forced to put others on the backburner. It's all about priorities in that regard.

I'd love to continue this train of thought, but I feel that as it stands I'm wildly off topic in a thread devoted to Kirby. XD

Good argument. I agree with you in most things there. But my main point was that while other consoles seem to have a huge stream of games waiting every week, Nintendo slowly trickles decent games. Sure they've provided us with quite a few revivals and fan-catering. But what I'd truly love to see, would be something other than remakes, rehashes and retro-revivals. The Wii's supposed to be a console for the next generation, dammit. I thought I was going to play the equivalent of what Shenmue brought to the 128-bit generation when the remote was first revealed. So far, I've seen very few of Nintendo's AAA releases that use the controller the way it should be used, and that even reach a tiny bit of the potencial the console actually has. New Mario Bros? Punch-Out? Really good, but I think I've played all of this before. When do we see true gambles within or outside franchises? Gambles the way the first Pikmin was, or Luigi's Mansion, or Wind Waker were? Those felt like authentic new experiences, AAA ones. I don't see anything that Nintendo's coming out with, that isn't a sequel or a minigame compilation. The DS is getting TONS of love, but there's no such thing on the Wii. From Nintendo OR from third-parties. Where's the Wii's very own Eternal Darkness, or Resident Evil 4? What company is putting their own hopes on the Wii to lead their games to victory, other than Nintendo alone? Where's a company like Rare from the N64 days? Where's the magic we expected from Nintendo by now?

We've gotten almost much every single one of Nintendo's biggest hits re-released or ported in some way or shape for the Wii, either in downloadable format, or in straight ports with Wii controls. We can play tons of Gamecube hits with Wii control features, and we're glad for it.

But when are we going to have a slew of games coming out, nearing the potencial that Mario Galaxy has had so far? When are we going to have truly great, long and deep game experiences, that take the gameplay itself into a whole new dimension? Where are the new franchises, the new games? That's what I'm missing. And that's what's turning alot of people off Nintendo.

Posted on: May 07, 2010, 07:24:55 PM
If it actually meant dedicated servers and better service, I'd have little problem paying for it.
And you got that right. Not just that, a dedicated service that focuses on INDIVIDUALITY. You buy the account, along with all the terms and expected pedophiles after you that come with it. That should give Nintendo a free bail card when it comes to their policies.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 08:31:38 PM
The point of New Super Mario Bros (and the stellar Wii sequel) and Punch-Out!! were to be both a hearkening to the original games in their respective franchises while at the same time doing something new. I've never had as much fun playing a game as I did with NSMBWii, honestly. It has meat shields, for crying out loud! It wouldn't be a throwback title if it was something completely new. I understand you want them to try something fresh, something they haven't done before, but in the case of your two examples, they weren't going to.

That's just something I wanted to point out.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 08:35:37 PM
The point of New Super Mario Bros (and the stellar Wii sequel) and Punch-Out!! were to be both a hearkening to the original games in their respective franchises while at the same time doing something new. I've never had as much fun playing a game as I did with NSMBWii, honestly. It has meat shields, for crying out loud! It wouldn't be a throwback title if it was something completely new. I understand you want them to try something fresh, something they haven't done before, but in the case of your two examples, they weren't going to.

That's just something I wanted to point out.
The reason I play games is to try something new, not just to get the same old experiences I've played tons of times, no matter how stellar they may be. I've played them. Let's deal with something new I can love and be blasted away with. Let's have a Mario Universe. A Legend of Zelda in a steampunk world. A Kid Icarus revival on 3D, focusing on greek legends and an epic story. A whole new experience. A third-person adventure game which has you move and interact with objects with amazing gameplay characteristics using the Wii's controller. I'd love to have an AAA title like that.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 08:40:20 PM
Well that's your personal preference. I fully understand that. But you have to understand that Nintendo made those to appeal to people who like those games; you just don't fall into that category apparently.

I'm fully for something new, don't get me wrong.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 08:48:59 PM
The reason I play games is to try something new, not just to get the same old experiences I've played tons of times, no matter how stellar they may be. I've played them. Let's deal with something new I can love and be blasted away with. Let's have a Mario Universe. A Legend of Zelda in a steampunk world. A Kid Icarus revival on 3D, focusing on greek legends and an epic story. A whole new experience. A third-person adventure game which has you move and interact with objects with amazing gameplay characteristics using the Wii's controller. I'd love to have an AAA title like that.

But then, my question is, what new experiences are coming out on the 360 and PS3?  Because outside of Little Big Planet, I can't think of any games on those two systems that has been a new experience, in terms of gaming.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 08:52:52 PM
That is a very good point, PB. Most of what comes out on those are just the same old stuff.