Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 258613

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
On the XL you do kinda have to be careful with those plastic tabs.  I'd imagine the regular sized one is a little easier to deal with since they're at least designed to be swapped out.

On Kid Icarus, there's no way in hell the New 3DS's C-stick would be precise enough to handle it.  It's not a slider like the Circle Pad is, more like a pressure-sensitive nipple.

Having an XL is nice since the bigger touch screen is a little easier to work with, and playing original DS or GB/C games in their original resolution doesn't hurt your eyes.  But the standard New 3DS screens are slightly bigger than original, so that might have helped, and I'd have really liked those faceplates had Nintendo bothered to release the standard size at the same time as the XL.

Has there been any other games besides Smash and Hyrule Warriors that has capitalized on the increased power of the New 3DS? I haven't heard of anything exciting about it in a long time. Seems like a wasted update in hind sight?
More than you'd think, just not a lot that got any real fanfare.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177455

I mean, we all knew it was basically 3DSi going in, except the basic model had a shop already, so......yeah.  If Smash Bros. not handling like crap didn't convince you to update, nothing else likely will.  It's not by any means mandatory, but it is handy for the stable 3D and built-in Amiibo scanner.  I got the New XL when it first came out because I actually did need a replacement for my launch 3DS; Circle Pad cover was coming off and the A button would occasionally lose contact (made playing Mario Kart 7 real annoying).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'll probably be skipping it then. Not a huge deal. Amber has an XL anyway.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
So we have some news on the 3DS front today.

Firstly the Yellow Pikachu New 3DS XL is coming to NA, no bundled game with it unfortunately but it does look pretty nice in my opinion.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/pikachu_yellow_edition_new_nintendo_3ds_xl_confirmed_for_north_america

And 2 more 3DS games join Nintendo Selects and thus will be $20 from now on, Mario Luigi Dream Team and Kirby Triple Deluxe.  I have both and they are very good games, though Mario and Luigi Dream Team is bar none the hardest of the Mario and Luigi Series and if you want to get into it I don't recommend it as a starting point.

Hopefully we'll see more 3DS games joining Nintendo Selects in 2017 since the 3DS still has a lot of releases coming despite the Switch on the horizon

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxNHhgMuTg[/yt]

So this kind of came out of nowhere but it is interesting none the less.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I don't normally pick on hardware that's clearly not directed at me anyway, but I think this stinks because it nails the coffin shut on a 3DS price drop happening anytime soon.  The entire family of systems is overpriced, but Nintendo can get away with it because Pokemon.

Consider the original 2DS sits at $80 and at the time of the New 3DS XL's release, Nintendo valued the "New" upgrade at about a $25 difference via price drop on the original XL model.  Do the math, that works out to them charging $45 for the New 2DS XL's hinge.
(minus the value of the AC adapter, plus the difference in value between face-tracking 3D and standard 3D, if you want to get specific)

But what really blows my shells is the in-no-way-specified-at-the-time-to-be-exclusive-to-Black-Friday-but-released-in-[parasitic bomb]-quantity-so-that-it-turned-out-that-way-in-hindsight standard size Super Mario edition New 3DS, which was priced at $100. 

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
It is almost the size of the New 3DS XL, but I do agree that price drops would have been much more welcomed, or you know.....more Standard New 3DS Models making state side.

That being said if this came out during the time I got my Standard New 3DS I would have considered it since I don't use the 3D.  Though I would have preferred the White and Orange one.....that everyone but the US is getting.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I'd have preferred the bottom screen being inset so as to not scratch/bang/crack the top screen when the system is closed.  It's a better design, I will admit that, but I actually use 3D (full blast on literally every game I have played other than Pilotwings), so it's out of the question.

Offline Splash

• B-Class Hunter
  • Something here?
    • View Profile
Is there a point in buying used 3DS, or it's better to buy 2DS (I don't really need 3D and I want to fit into a budget)?

http://quickmaster-exe.deviantart.com/
I like to draw... NOT!
Seriously.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I'd say at this point probably get the New 2DS when it comes out unless you find something cheaper when it comes out.