Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 261462

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
It does for me ^^
Some people's children...

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
what o.o

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
I guess I'm in no position to complain then seeing as I got my 3DS for $170 at Walmart right before the official price drop.

Half assed prototype emulators for games you most likely already own; Sure makes up for ripping you off with the inflated original price of the console.

At least you understand what I am frustrated at, minus the price.

Nintendo should probably put out an updated emulator when they release the NES games to everybody (Which we all assumed was going to be done really quickly, how wrong we were.), one that includes a [tornado fang]ing multiplayer solution seeing as three of the games have multiplayer functions that are simply wasted here (Amazing Mirror is the worst offender seeing as the whole concept was built for [tornado fang]ing Multiplayer.) there is no excuse for this, they had plenty of time to make a decent GBA emulator, something I'm even more frustrated at seeing as they MADE the GBA, yet VBA is much better than their Emulator on account of actually being able to do multiplayer by having it work online, it has save-states which Nintendo neglected to provide, AND the screen doesn't look washed out.

Maybe they needed more time, maybe they didn't have a team exclusively dedicated to developing the GBA emulator, maybe they forgot about it, panicked when they realized the end of the year was coming up, and threw this together as not to [acid burst] off the people who were promised end of the year. If they had come out and said "we could release them at the end of the year but we would like to apologize and ask that you wait till our GBA Emulator meets our quality standards, as we feel that it is incomplete and rushed." THEN, maybe people would understand, Nintendo would earn more respect points from their fans for not rushing [parasitic bomb] out for Christmas and continuing to take time to focus on the quality rather than trying to make a quick buck.

Or maybe people wouldn't understand, seeing as they had four months to develop it some people would never forgive Nintendo for going back on their promise of end of the year. I don't really [tornado fang]ing know.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
You're frustrated because we got exactly what they said we'd get? If you don't remember that, then you probably don't remember the whole getting versions of this that work like the rest of the VC when/if they update them. Right now it's not even an emulator, they're working the same way the DS games are. The reason for no multiplayer? You can't connect Link Cables to the 3DS.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
The hard truth is, they really don't give a [parasitic bomb]. Why? Because it's not earning them profit.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
If they didn't give a [parasitic bomb] they wouldn't have done anything in the first place...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
No, folks, this emulator is not running in "DS mode".  DS mode would not be able to create an image that stretches beyond the DS's aspect ratio (GBA is 3:2, DS is 4:3, 3DS top screen is 5:3).  For a GBA game to use the full screen height and still stretch beyond the width of the bottom screen, that is a 3DS mode emulator.

The colors might be SLIGHTLY pale, but my idea of "washed out" is a frontlit GBA SP screen (AGS-001 as opposed to AGS-101).  This is nowhere near as bad.  I'd say it's more faithful than the wackiness we've already seen on Wii's NES Virtual Console (painfully evident in Mega Man).

Yes, the proper home/sleep functions don't work.  As they do not work for any legacy DS game.  The system will shut off the screen and speakers when folded shut, but the game is still running.  So, pause it first. -AC  No, I don't understand why Nintendo can't get a GBA game to sleep either, but it's a trivial point.

I'd appreciate the option for a Y/B control setup as opposed to B/A, but that holds for the NES emulator as well.

Overall, if this is your idea of bad emulation, then thank God you were never in on the DS homebrew scene.  Or, for that matter, the Wii VC's Genesis emulation, which you pay $8 a game for and it doesn't even recognize a goddamn control stick.  We're getting free, competent [parasitic bomb] before anyone else has the option to pay for it; I'm not complaining.

You're frustrated because we got exactly what they said we'd get? If you don't remember that, then you probably don't remember the whole getting versions of this that work like the rest of the VC when/if they update them. Right now it's not even an emulator, they're working the same way the DS games are. The reason for no multiplayer? You can't connect Link Cables to the 3DS.
You can't run a GBA game on a non-GBA system and call it anything but emulation.  It's not "hardware emulation" as I imagine you meant to say, because any Nintendo system that lacks a GBA port also lacks GBA BIOS and sound circuitry.  That topic came up pretty much weekly when the DSi first came out.

It does for me ^^
Same.  Funny how people will pay for games we already own with a smile, but then they're free, it's a shitstorm.

The hard truth is, they really don't give a [parasitic bomb]. Why? Because it's not earning them profit.
Because Nintendo, with profits driving them, was totally into savestates, control configurations, and network connectivity on their last system's Virtual Console.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
I'm not sure what's the big deal here. I think the choices are all fine and dandy. I know a couple of guys who'd perfer Mario and Luigi over any select mario title, but it's all opinion. Plus it gives me a chance to play those titles I may have missed. And I'm okay with that.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
If they didn't give a [parasitic bomb] they wouldn't have done anything in the first place...

No. They had to do something. Early adopters would have rioted, metaphorically (or maybe literally too), over this if there was no compensation for them getting completely [tornado fang]'d over. Which would have lead to lower profit. They instead found the cheapest way to help smooth over the situation.

No, I don't understand why Nintendo can't get a GBA game to sleep either, but it's a trivial point.

I don't think I can agree here. It's a damn staple feature now. Not to mention, if you're wanting to go into sleep mode, its for a good reason, and with the 3DS's already crappy battery life you could be facing a system shut down before getting to an outlet in time. Not to mention, not every game lets you pause anywhere.

I'd appreciate the option for a Y/B control setup as opposed to B/A, but that holds for the NES emulator as well.

Ridiculous. Just completely unacceptable, no matter what time period it's made in.

Overall, if this is your idea of bad emulation, then thank God you were never in on the DS homebrew scene.  Or, for that matter, the Wii VC's Genesis emulation, which you pay $8 a game for and it doesn't even recognize a goddamn control stick.

Comparing it to even more unacceptable garbage doesn't make it good. It makes it not as bad as even less acceptable garbage. That isn't good enough.

If they cannot implement even basic STANDARD functions (and I'm not even asking for much, I dont even want save states), that free emulators have had for OVER A DECADE, then I see no reason to even grace them with a purchase. Granted these are free, but for people who weren't early adopters it wont be. Even for free, playing with the A/B strictly will become a discomforting experience I probably won't enjoy. It would take like a DAY to add in an AB YB swap. Seriously. No excuse for not including it.

This will be another underwhelming, gimped Virtual Console just like the Wii was. Why should I bother buying them here, when I can get a better portable experience with the SAME games out of my PSP already without even paying.

I'd like to buy some old titles now and then, but damn if Nintendo does everything in their power to make me NOT want to. If you want me to fork over cash, you best be pretty damn close, if not better, than what is being offered to me already for free. In this case, they aren't even remotely close. Hell, even being FREE, I have much better FREE alternatives.

I don't feel compensated for being charged nearly double at all. Of course, all of this wouldn't matter to me if MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 WAS STILL BEING MADE.

[tornado fang]

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
No. They had to do something. Early adopters would have rioted, metaphorically (or maybe literally too), over this if there was no compensation for them getting completely [tornado fang]'d over.

Rofl, I hear this all the time.  You guys never do anything.  And if you do?  So what, they loose their more insane fanbase x3  If you are an early adopter you have nobody to blame but yourself if you feel "ripped off" from the price drop.  Nobody held a gun to your head telling you to buy early, and if you've been into video games for a few years you should know that getting the first run of any consoles or portables is a horrible idea as they are usually the least stable.  It's best and more cost effective to jus wait until a better version comes along.  If you can't wait then that's fine, but jus know that it's on you then ^^;

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
You know you're in [parasitic bomb] when you put Cephi on the offensive. XD

She makes an awfully good point.  I mean, if you thought it was overpriced at $250, the very simple solution is to not buy it, especially easy since the killer apps didn't come until last month.  I bought the hunk of junk on day one, I love it, but not everyone's as crazy as I am and I know it.  To me, it was worth it.  When you want to be a launch day fanboy, you take all risks that come with it.

And for God's sake, we're talking about the company that's now selling its last-gen handheld for TEN BUCKS LESS than the current one.  I think their riot police are already out in full force for them to have the balls to pull a stunt like that.

Why should I bother buying them here, when I can get a better portable experience with the SAME games out of my PSP already without even paying.
Simple answer: You shouldn't.

Official emulation exists for one reason: So that we can be good little drones with a clean conscience, a bare interface, a framerate that never reminds us that we're not really playing the original, and the right to never bear witness to compatibility issues that don't involve some kind of extra peripheral.  But it will NEVER be as full-featured as the free hackers because they are not viewed as legitimate competition.  The fact that the free unauthorized stuff is superior in its selection of options and features is a simple fact of life.

That's like asking why shouldn't you hack your DVD player to ignore unskippable previews.  Or, another example, I know damn well that no matter how amusing any DSi/3DS music player may be, it'll never hold a candle to Moonshell.  As consumers, legitimate-vs-hacked isn't a matter of value in the usual sense.  It's a matter of taking the high road when we are satisfied, and cheating the cheap bastards when we're not.

Of course, all of this wouldn't matter to me if MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 WAS STILL BEING MADE.

[tornado fang]
On that, we most certainly agree.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what's the big deal here. I think the choices are all fine and dandy.

I never complained about the choice of games, I've only been bitching about the blatant laziness put into this emulator. I feel that while it was nice for them to include Amazing Mirror it loses out on the Multiplayer, which is arguably a major part of the game.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Rofl, I hear this all the time.  You guys never do anything.  And if you do?  So what, they loose their more insane fanbase x3  If you are an early adopter you have nobody to blame but yourself if you feel "ripped off" from the price drop.  Nobody held a gun to your head telling you to buy early, and if you've been into video games for a few years you should know that getting the first run of any consoles or portables is a horrible idea as they are usually the least stable.  It's best and more cost effective to jus wait until a better version comes along.  If you can't wait then that's fine, but jus know that it's on you then ^^;

No matter how you want to justify it, a price drop by that much in that short of a time is just a sleazy move by any standard. I did not feel cheated by the GBA SP, or the DSlite & DSi. But this was unacceptable.

She makes an awfully good point.  I mean, if you thought it was overpriced at $250, the very simple solution is to not buy it

Over priced or not, which I felt it wasn't that much, it doesn't negate the shady move they pulled. In addition, their make up plan was good in concept but executed with the obvious intent of minimizing any real payback. It just shows a disrespect to the consumer.

Nobody feels the need to compete with people who, from the big business's point of view, are stealing from them.

And that's why they all lose out. The DRM war is the same way as well. This is exactly the attitude the major companies need to kick. Indie devs are really waking up to this, and they're prospering by it. These practices cheat the honest consumer, and make piracy look awfully more lucrative.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
I never complained about the choice of games, I've only been bitching about the blatant laziness put into this emulator. I feel that while it was nice for them to include Amazing Mirror it loses out on the Multiplayer, which is arguably a major part of the game.

I'm just stating that some of the fellow ambassadors were a bit dissapointed to see the list. It doesn't suprise me the least; I expected this to happen once that one backfire I dare not mention happened... or something.. You can never please everyone, I guess. I'm at least glad with the two cartriges I got for my 3DS (rest is all downloaded/brought over from DSi).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
No matter how you want to justify it, a price drop by that much in that short of a time is just a sleazy move by any standard. I did not feel cheated by the GBA SP, or the DSlite & DSi. But this was unacceptable.

Businesses doing sleazy moves to make a profit? Haha, stop the press. XD

Cephi's 100% right. She's not justifying anything. She's just telling you the truth. I could've easily afforded a 3DS at the time. I decided to wait because I knew it'd not only eventually be cheaper, but it'd probably come in a color I'd like a whole lot more, plus better games would be out for it then. I mean, this is standard Nintendo practice....hell gaming practice in general. Did Sony offer any sort of compensation for the people who actually spent the original $600 on the PS3?

And as for this...

No. They had to do something. Early adopters would have rioted, metaphorically (or maybe literally too), over this if there was no compensation for them getting completely [tornado fang]'d over. Which would have lead to lower profit. They instead found the cheapest way to help smooth over the situation.

Early. Adopters. Wouldn't. Have. Done. [parasitic bomb].

Reggie could have come on stage, shrugged his shoulders, possibly laughed and walked off, and gamers wouldn't have done anything. They'd go on the net, whine & complain, other gamers would laugh at them for not waiting seeing as how pretty much everyone knew it would be cheaper later on, and then they'd continue supporting the product and buying the games. Gamers are addicts, and gaming companies of every kind have them by the [tornado fang]ing balls.

Only a technological device like a gaming system could literally have a 56% failure rate at one point and people still buy it, support it, and continue to deal with it after having sent the damn thing in 3 or more times. 15% is already unacceptable for pretty much every other high end tech device, but the 360 managed to survive and people will throw down another $400-$500 for the 720 when that comes out. People will buy the PSVita when it first comes out as well, and eventually Sony will drop the price on that as well. Call it a hunch, but I doubt they offer anything for the early Vita adopter.

There was 0% risk in losing profit lowering the price like they did, cause the people that bought it still bought it and will most likely continue to support it, so they don't factor in, and the sales were going to massively increase due to the lower price, better colors & bundles, and better games out for it. Sleazy or not, it is pretty much a FLAWLESS business strategy and it works every damn time because they know exactly who their market is.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Oh, get real.  The 360 never had a 56% failure rate.  That's just hyperbole from Game Informer and you know it.  If over twenty-five million consoles had actually failed, you can bet your ass Microsoft would be in a shitload of trouble.

As for the 3DS, Nintendo only dropped the price so drastically after such a short time because nobody was buying it.  You can call it sleazy all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the system would've been a total write-off for them if they'd left the price as it was.  The ambassador thing is just an olive branch put forth for those of us who did pay full price for it, nothing more.  It's not meant as compensation.  It's meant as consolation.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
People bought the 3DS on launch despite the lack of big brand titles like Mario or Zelda. Those who bought on launch were left hanging by Nintendo, and the ambassador titles were only a publicity stunt to get the 3DS moving. Bottom line is, you get what you paid for.

Oh, get real.  The 360 never had a 56% failure rate.  That's just hyperbole from Game Informer and you know it.  If over twenty-five million consoles had actually failed, you can bet your ass Microsoft would be in a shitload of trouble.
It is still very much relevant to the point he's making. You don't need to work for Microsoft to prove that a lot of 360's go kaboom; Microsoft took the hit for it, losing millions in service. But. Go ahead, tell me, PLEASE tell me how they don't make that money back quick-snap, with the way they can still make people throw money at them despite such a high failure rate. Microsoft evidently know what they're doing.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Look at it this way, the opening price for most consumer electronics devices is a bit of a joke. You name a high price you want to sell it at but know no reasonable person would pay for your product. Then you watch all the habitual early adopters pay for it.

When that is over you bring it down to a more reasonable price.

Nintendo just had to lower the price a lot earlier than usual due to poor sales.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
lots-o-stuff

At least you admit it's sleazy.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

As for the 3DS, Nintendo only dropped the price so drastically after such a short time because nobody was buying it.  You can call it sleazy all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the system would've been a total write-off for them if they'd left the price as it was.  The ambassador thing is just an olive branch put forth for those of us who did pay full price for it, nothing more.  It's not meant as compensation.  It's meant as consolation.

The article in question says they surveyed 5,000 consumers, and there was a 54.2% failure rate. I don't know where you got twenty-five million consoles, unless you have no grasp of how surveys like this work. Regardless, that's not the point. The point is that more than half of 5,000 customer had their [parasitic bomb] system break on them and only 3.8% of them, far FAR less than half, said they wouldn't buy that system again. THAT is the point. Microsoft put out one of the shittiest pieces of technological hardware available, and people continued to eat their Microshit on a silver platter because they are addicts. Off the top of my head, I couldn't name one other piece of tech hardware that can fail that much and it still continue to make a profit.

And of course no one was buying it, because most people knew that it would be cheaper later, along with more games they actually wanted for it. Hell, somewhere either in this thread or the Zelda thread, I said that Nintendo would probably put out a Zelda 3DS bundle at a lower price, and that's what I was originally waiting for, until I saw the sexy red one. Nintendo knew it would be cheaper later, but they also know that hardcore Ninty fans and the early tech adopters would buy it day 1. Call it compensation or consolation or whatever you want. The point is that they didn't have to do [parasitic bomb] and it wouldn't have mattered.

At least you admit it's sleazy.

Of course it's sleazy. But it works.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Well, yes, Microsoft knows what they're doing.  I imagine they're still in the console business because they have the best online business model of the three console manufacturers, the biggest game library, the easiest system to develop for and because any console that does suffer the aforementioned system fault they repair for free.  The only problem with the 360 from a technological standpoint is cheap solder.

Yeah, the 3DS Ambassador thing was pretty much a publicity stunt however you look at it.  I think I misrepresented my point, which was that no, Nintendo didn't have to do a damn thing.  To complain about the quality of the GBA VC titles as though money was spent on them, when they're nothing more than a free bonus, is a bit silly.  Enjoy them for what they are and if you want save states and graphical enhancement and frame rate adjustments, go play them on VBA instead.  Nintendo isn't forcing you to download them any more than they forced you to buy the 3DS at its inflated launch price.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
They don't repair RODs for free anymore.

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Not on the 360 Slim, no.  They took measures to prevent the problem.

The Other Side

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
On the old one either. Unless you buy it new right now the warranty has expired. What they did was extend the original 360's warranty by 3 years, but those have expired now also. I know because I was going to send my in for a 4th time but they were going to charge me. So I went and got a slim. No problems since then.

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
On the old one either. Unless you buy it new right now the warranty has expired. What they did was extend the original 360's warranty by 3 years, but those have expired now also. I know because I was going to send my in for a 4th time but they were going to charge me. So I went and got a slim. No problems since then.

I think all console manufacturers should make faulty products, that way, after the warranty period, you have to buy a new one.